Embassy of the Meritocracy

Greetings TNP! Cortath here.

New Kervoskia, unfortunately, has had to resign due to RL events, and I have taken his place as part of the three-Senator team in this embassy. It's good to be back here!

That's funny, I thought you were exorcized and killed with blessed holy water the Pope himself gargled after brushing his teeth. How did you survive?
Being a heathen commie has its perks: namely, immunity from all things "holy".

What? That snivelling cur?! I can see your good taste does not extend beyond the realm of ouzo.
:tb2:

---------------------------

InterMet recently caught up with first time Executor and Censor of the Meritocracy, the Senator from Shasarazade, Gabriel Indarion. Here is what he had to say in response to InterMet’s questions.

The Consul has asked me to write a few articles over the next two weeks and thus I shall be conducting interviews with the new Executors, I hope you will oblige.

Sure thing, thank you for the opportunity, Vice Consul.

Senator Gabriel Indarion, yourself and your predecessors have served the Senate for a great deal of time and yet only now have you been made Executor, why do you think it took so long considering how talented you clearly are?

It is all my fault. I am always foiling myself. I take all of the blame, except that little bit which belongs to the Senator from Argyres. I am just sure he has something to do with it.

How close have you become to being an Executor in the past? When there were elections for the positions, had you ever thought of running? Had any Consular candidates approached you about being an Executor in the past?

I have come quite close a number of times since we adopted the appointment system—I know I have been approached by Consuls for various positions, usually Quaestor or Censor. But I have the unfortunate habit of shooting myself in the foot by recommending other Senators who I feel are better-suited to executive office. I am not very ambitious, and I would honestly much rather the most qualified person get the job for the Senate’s sake.

Had not come as close to running for a position back when we elected them; usually we would be in a situation in which I would split the vote and someone dreadful could win. Since I was usually involved in one Consul or the other’s campaign (sometimes both of their campaigns), it was only courteous to not run against their chosen candidates.

What plans do you have for the Curia Informationis and will you be leaning on the fabled Procensor class for advice or have you already taken it?

At this point I do not have anything grandiose in mind. The thing I will most stress is the work requirement in the Curia Informationis. I plan to approach each Curia member with specific tasks, such as going through the Census and checking up on endangered Senate nations (which you, my good Vice Consul, seem to have done unbidden. If each Senator possessed half the initiative you do, we would be quite on our way back to the bustle of the old days). I want every Senator to be able to say he did something to contribute to the Curia Informationis and to the revival of the Senate. In addition, I have a couple amendments I’ve been tossing around which I will bring up in Curia once I get a concrete idea of how I want them to work.

As for the Procensors, no, I do not plan on leaning on them per se. I have asked Procensor Van Sweringen to be my Deputy, and I have asked the Consul to tell me when I screw things up, but aside from those instances I have not made much use of the Procensor class so far. Their advice is of course highly valuable to me, but I want to stress the entirety of the Curia Informationis rather than this or that portion of it. Again, I want every member of my Curia to say he did something real, to say he accomplished something in the Curia Informationis—and these are future Censors, mind you. We must train them and not continue to rely on those who have been there and are tired of it.

I am sure many people had you down as a Quaestor of the Meritocracy during your career, why do you think Censor is your first Executor position?

Because I would not accept an appointment as Quaestor. I enjoy espionage and intrigue and the like, and I could issue directives, but I quickly tire of conducting foreign affairs. I honestly do not know how Senator Cicero does it. It is so wearying exchanging pleasantries and veiled insults and threats, and wagging ones finger at the international ne’er-do-wells. And embassies are boring.

On the other hand, I have always liked the idea of Censor. The Censor keeps the Senate working in an orderly fashion. I enjoy the feeling that I have done something concrete and functional—I don’t think the other Executor positions are as clear-cut as Censor. As Censor, you either work, or you don’t, and people know when you do not work because the Senate does not work. The vote is up or it is not. The roster is up to date, or it is not. The Censor deals in concretes and that appeals to me.

Has being Chairman of ACCEL helped prepare you for your new role?

Yes, absolutely. I am used to keeping up with votes and when what position is up for re-election. There is little new to me in my role as Censor. I knew quite what to expect beforehand. Don’t get to boss people around as much, though. :baron:

Finally, Senator Indarion, what do you think of the new Consul and his plans, could you give us any thoughts about the Consul?

I have known the Senator from Objectivist Chimps since before either of us was in this Senate, and I have the greatest confidence in his abilities. I know many of the older Senators regard him as something of a blackguard, but there are few among us who have put half the work into the Senate as the Consul has in his year here. He is divisive and controversial, yes, but the man deserved to be Consul. I think the proportion of the vote he received reflected this; that although most Senators don’t like him, they knew he deserves to be Consul and they knew he moreso than his opponent has the discipline and authority to get the Senate functioning again.

And he certainly has both of those things in abundance. If I were vulgar, I would go so far as to say he is a hardass, the kind of hardass the Senate needs right now. He has the inflexible authority to ensure Senators will work.

However, as disappointing as they were, those Senators who left complaining about the erosion of the Senate’s sense of community were right. While the Consul has a great task ahead of him in reviving the Senate’s work ethic, he has a more difficult one in reviving our culture and community, which is just as important (if not moreso). If anyone can do it, Consul Crassus can, but he will need the help of every single Senator here—so Senators, please heed this: if you have ever cared about the fate of this Senate, if you have ever wished someone would do something about all this decay and stagnation, then stop whining, Senator from ApostleCorp, and do something. It is easy to snipe at the character of Senator Crassus and score wit points, but you do no service to the Senate you supposedly care enough about to be upset with the last election. The office of Consul is bigger than Senator Crassus—if you cannot help him help the Senate, fall in line behind the office of Consul and make a difference. The Consul is possessed of great ability, but he cannot accomplish what is necessary without the Senate’s fullest cooperation.

That is what the Consul needs to do—convince the Senate to cooperate.

Thank you.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions Censor.

Argyres, you old rogue! Good to see you are still around.
Likewise, Flem :)

I've moved on to smaller and lesser things (boring job) which left me plenty of time to bring my beloved wit and charm back to the NS world

*head explodes from sarcasm overload*

Meritocracy Update
Meritocracy-flag.gif

April 27th, 2007

Consul: Objectivist Chimps
Quaestor: Scadinavian Duchies I
Praetor: Corintur
Censor: Shasarazade
Tribune: Cortath
Aedile: Zang Zhadam
The New Meritocracy

Elections have ended and the new heads of the Meritocracy have been chosen. Objectivist Chimps won the Consulship over The ApostleCorp, doing so built upon a platform of his own experience, a detailed foreign policy—which has been kept from the public—a belief in the integration and vitalization of prefectures; with his overall policies including mandatory government roles for Senators, extensive oversight of Curiae, a higher demand upon Senators for activity, and increased recruitment.

After taking the Consulship, Objectivist Chimps rounded out his cabinet with those listed above. Other then the new Consul’s nominations, which later were voted upon by the Senate, Zang Zhadam won his own seat as Aedile on the promise of a fresh approach to the news with consistent reporting and issues. So, with these final appointments, the Meritocracy stands ready to move forward.

Spearheading the new term and its lofty goals of reform, a convention is being planned to work towards the revitalizing of the Meritocracy, as well as locating and neutralizing problem areas with the government. Currently a bill has been brought forward to set the limitations and rules of the convention, in which it calls for a steering committee to assist in directing the convention’s efforts and focus.

Recently two candidates for Senate seats have come up: Lorbenia and Jasque. The first is a new face and former member of Invaders (along with several other regions), and has been met with mixed feelings. Some have found Lorbenia’s answers to questions witty and well thought, while others found them arrogant and disrespectful. Jasque, on the other hand, is a loved, longtime associate of the Meritocracy, previously serving in most government positions, including Consul.

Recent Intermet Articles:
Posul: In His Own Words
Interview with the Censor
InterMet: Breaking News

The Prefectures:
The Meritocratic Isles
Alpha Omega
Feudal Japan

MeritFlag.jpg

The Consulate Communiqué

Senate Officers

Consul: Objectivizt Chimps
Quaestor: Scadinavian Duchies I
Censor: Shasarazade
Praetor: VACANT
Lictor: Zang Zhadam
Deputies: The Heights (Deputy Censor)

Senate Votes

Membership Vote: Jasque
Vote of No Confidence: Consul
Vote of No Confidence: Aedile

The Sleepless Politico: Senate Commentary

As the votes of no confidence clearly demonstrate, and as the various articles of InterMet and various independent Senators prove, the Senate of the Meritocracy is undergoing some major changes and shifts just after the dissolution of the Accords and a Constitutional Convention have been discussed.  Some wonder whether the unexpectedly authoritarian actions of the Consul signify his immediate resignation and a desire to go out with a bang, or whether he has something up his sleeve.  The Senator from Lorbenia has stated in various locations that he believes the Consul to be "setting a nasty trap, and the Meritocracy is right in the middle of it."  However, only the next few days will tell what is in store for the Senate and its leader.

The Aedile's close support of the Consul, and the heavy spinning of InterMet articles has been very controversial, as has Zang Zhadam's revelation that is an associate nation of Roman Nobiles (the Anti Commi Clan, Proconsul).  Many have, though, come out in his defense.  A straw poll was set up by the former Aedile from New Camedia as to InterMet's recent use.

With all this happening in such rapid succession, it may be easy to assume that the Senate is crumbling upon itself.  In fact, such an assumption would be fallacious at best, considering the recent activity levels of the Senate.  Also, there is a real desire to use this scenario as a backdrop for progress.  The Meritocracy is moving on.  The Senate will be exploring new methods of good government and meritorious society.  As always, our doors are open to one and all should any curious or intrigued readers wish to partake in the Meritocratic Dream.       

Foreign Affairs

From now on, this section will feature commentary on events in your very own region, as reported by our ambassador team.  Unfortunately, this edition could not contain such insight at present due to the business of all Senators as they work to find the most diplomatic solutions to the recent political debates.  Rest assured, however, that our interregional friends shall be kept informed as to transpiring events in a timely manner. 

Recent Articles

Tribune Oversteps Bounds in Opposing Consul (Tabloid/Heavily Spun)
Aedile Complicit in Consular Coup
The Last Journalist in the MAD (Written objectively by an independent Senator)

Become a Senator Today!

Register at the Meritocracy, read through the Accords, and participate in debates in the Chestnut Tree Cafe.  From there, it is advised that you share with us some information about your nation in the Ministry of Truth or the Herodotus Project, and read through our Membership Rules.  Finally, you'll be ready to start your very own application thread in Membership Requests, where you lay out the information as per our rules, and await the questions that will inevitably come.  Good luck!

Hello, this is Ylling, the new Consul of the Meritocracy. There will be an increase in activity here soon.

We are always seeking new members.

As some of you may know, Shasarazade is the new Consul of The Meritocracy. He has appointed me to serve as Ambassador to your region. So, this is my 'hello' post. :)

A question: Does anybody mind if an ambassador (like myself) hangs out in TNP's IRC channel?

Update time!
MeritFlag.jpg

The Consulate Communiqué

Senate Officers

Consul: Shasarazade
Quaestor: Big D Baby
Censor: Vox Augusti
Praetor: Haor Chall
Lictor: Zang Zhadam
Deputies: Anstan (Deputy Quaestor)

Senate Votes

Consul:  Election
Vice Consul Confirmation Vote: Jasque
Quaestor Confirmation Vote: Big D Baby
Censor Confirmation Vote: Vox Augusti
Praetor Confirmation Vote: Haor Chall

THE RESULTS ARE IN! OUR NEW CONSUL IS...

After one of the most stagnant parts in the Meritocracy's great history, the Senate has elected Shasarazade as the new Consul of the Meritocracy.  In his "Stepping up the Stairs" discussions, somewhat of an equivalent of a "fireside chat"  Our recently elected Consul has mentioned that his main concerns will be bringing the Meritocracy back to a working body.  Consul Shasarazade also wants to remind Senators that the convention is to take a back seat while trying to bring the Senate back to its feet. He discussed how the Senate will adopt a new foreign policy. Stating that "We will no longer look down upon our neighbors, Senators, but we will walk beside them in friendship." During his speeches the Consular declared his nominations for offices and they were as followed.

Jasque- Vice Consul
Big D Baby- Quaestor
Vox Augusti- Censor
Haor Chall- Praetor

All of these nominations passed in voting. 

University of the Meritocracy

While all these exciting events are happening in the Senate, the University was stagnant.  During this the forces of The Slater Democracy of Balanvinski and The Imperial Dominion of The Heights overtly took over the great halls of the University.  Quickly calling for a Convention of "LEAG", no one knows what it stands for and neither parties of the Convention are giving out the meaning.  The two governments of the nations are encouraging all non-senate members to join them. The Senate has yet to respond to the issue.  More  on the LEAG when available.   

Foreign Affairs

Due to the recent approval of Big D Baby as Quaestor, and the reorganization of the Curie Legationis, the Foreign Affairs department is under renovation.  Please bare with us as we are making this great transition. Hopefully the next edition will contain great information.

Recent Articles

Amidst Turmoil the Accords Senate Continues InterMet News
Shasarazade Elected The Meritocracy's Next Consul. InterMet News
Political Forces Seize University LEAG

Become a Senator Today!

Register at the Meritocracy, read through the Accords, and participate in debates in the Chestnut Tree Cafe.  From there, it is advised that you share with us some information about your nation in the Ministry of Truth or the Herodotus Project, and read through our Membership Rules.  Finally, you'll be ready to start your very own application thread in Membership Requests, where you lay out the information as per our rules, and await the questions that will inevitably come.  Good luck!

With respect to the recent events befalling The North Pacific, the Meritocracy is unable to determine at this juncture the correct regime to support. It would be foolhardy to dismiss the stagnation within the ruling government of TNP; a stagnation not uncommon to many regions within the NationStates world. That Dalimbar has recognized such decline in his beloved region, while seeking to reverse its course, is both unsurprising and commendable.

However, one must question his methodology to place this community, respected among regions, in such peril as it has often seen before. Dalimbar has invoked many justifications for his actions, yet we ask if there was not a better way, a more constitutional way. The constitution of the North Pacific has survived many trials, subversions, and coercions due to the will of its people to uphold their much-loved document.

Weighing both the need for revitalization and the injustice of subverting the legal document of the North Pacific, we of the Meritocracy are unable to support either regime at this time. We are hopeful that a solution can be achieved and do anxiously await the conversations that will occur between resident nations of the North Pacific as they decide future of their region in the coming days and weeks.

However, we note with dismay the swift descent into civil war which has gripped The North Pacific. Banjections leave our friends in the North vulnerable to lurking predators and opportunists, while unendorsement campaigns strain the everyday non-forum members. We believe factionalism, anger, apathy, and ultimately dearth are the consequences of such a swift move towards civil war and we urge all parties involved to think not fractionally, but of the great region which is home to all of you.

Shasarazade
Consul of the Meritocracy

Back