The Last Book You Read...

Last book I read was A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. He chronicles hiking the Appalachian trail. His wit and weird sense of humor make this book highly amusing and he also rattles off some pretty interesting facts every once in a while. Bill Bryson is an excellent writer, go check this one out!

The Dead Poets Society (it's a movie originally, but I've only read the book).

An new English teacher at a prep school tries to teach his students to "suck the marrow out of life". It's an awesome book, although I didn't like the tragic ending.

On War by Carl von Clausewitz

German military philosophy book, quite good, and still applicable today. Clausewitz is a proponent of the decisive battle theory, which holds that the goal of military maneuvering and operations is the action of one decisive battle, which decides the conflict.

The Hogfather

Part of the Diskworld series, the Christmas manefestation of the Diskworld goes missing, and Death in his usual instability takes his place!

Just finished Terry Pratchett's newest novel Thud! Funny as always, with the usual amusing digs at society. Not as good as NightWatch IMO, but since it's got Vimes and the rest of the Watch in it, who cares? :D

Right now I'm reading A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin, which I've been waiting for to get published close to 4 years now. :blink: Haven't gotten very far into it yet, but considering the previous books in the series I'm sure it'll be worth the waiting.

Also finished Thud, and agree with Ananke. Right down to the not as good as Night Watch, which, IMO, is his absolute best thus far.

I am also in possession of a copy of Where's My Cow for Tabitha. :yes:

Ooh, how is it? I loved the Where's My Cow sequences in Thud!, but I have to admit I don't really see how he'd get a independent book out of it as well. :huh: And, yeah, NightWatch is definitely the best Discworld book, with Going Postal and Jingo coming close in my opinion.

Nobody True - James Herbert

Not a bad read, reasonably compelling and a decent storyline. Never read anything by Herbert before, so I don't know if its anything like his normal.

Pah, Max Barry is a bad writer. It's a rare event when I stop reading a book because it sucks. I put down Jennifer Government, freaking waste of money.

Ha, I didn't even make it through the one chapter web preview...

The Dawn of Human Culture - Richard Klein

Yes, it was for class, but I enjoyed it. It's an easy read and it really tells you a lot of interesting things about "human" origins from apes.

I'm reading Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire. Very good so far.

I just finished The History of Western Philosophy by Esa Saarinen. Again. I'll start over soon, I like to civilize myself when suffering mild insomnia.

War history this time. Lightning on Karelian Isthmus by J.L.Mäkelä describes the reconquest of mentioned area, as a part of Finnish Offensive against Soviet Union. The battles were fought in August 1941. The book mainly focuses at IV Corps Headquarters and Lt.Gen. Oesch's brilliant adaptation of tactics that Hannibal used agains the Romans at the Battle of Cannae in 2nd Punic War (216 BC).

T.J Stiles
Jesse James last rebel of the civil war

An interesting new approach to explaining JJ's reasons for becoming a bandit and how his career and noteriety were part and parcel of the political upheaval of the civil war.
very clever and quite exciting in parts.

Last book I read was A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. He chronicles hiking the Appalachian trail. His wit and weird sense of humor make this book highly amusing and he also rattles off some pretty interesting facts every once in a while. Bill Bryson is an excellent writer, go check this one out!
Hey! Me, too!

I liked the movie version better until I got to the second half of the book. Movie scores a lot of points but book wins hands-down.

been dipping into queen of the vampire by ann rice....hmm...prefer the book to the film...though they both suck... :rofl: ...did you see what i did there...vampires...suck...no.....oh well suit yourself madam..

Back