Regional Anthem Poll

Nasania

TNPer
This is a poll to help narrow down which anthem we should use. We already have a video of one of our proposals on Youtube if you want to check it out.

Personally I think professional and traditional sounding anthems are best for inspiring respect, loyalty, and fraternity in our people across Nationstates. But I'll let the community decide the course of the bill first through a vote. I'll count up the vote as a Condorcet election to determine a winner and then write the bill up in the Regional Assembly with the winner there. What's a Condorcet election? It's basically a way to insure the outcome is fair, and is done by ranking the choices and comparing them in head-to-head match ups. I've also included a normal poll so I can compare it to the condorcet method and break a potential tie.

All you have to do is fill out the Ballot below and answer the poll. Let's establish this new tradition now! :tnp:

If you want to discuss the merits of an anthem, go here.

Ballot:
Anthem: < The Clash I Fought the Law | Maple Leaf Forever | Partant Pour la Syrie | Lulu-Boom Bang A Bang | Hoist the Colors-Pirates of the Caribbean | God Save the Queen | God Save the Czar | Serbia Strong (Remove kebab) Orchestral cover V2 |Anhk Morpork National Anthem | "Majulah Singapura" >
Would you like to reopen nominations? < Yes | No >

EDIT:Ballot Updated.

Ummm.. why is 'Maple Leaf Forever' and 'God Save the Queen' even options? Plus, how is 'the Clash I fought the Law" even sufficient as an anthem? It's a disgrace the whole thing! :( By the way, you do know we don't need to vote for this and can just directly start the proposal in the RA.

Alternatively, you could get someone to actually write something original to be our anthem. Repurposing another song is rather pointless.

I could edit lyrics of an anthem for our use and find an instrumental version to go with it. Anybody interested?

St George:
Alternatively, you could get someone to actually write something original to be our anthem. Repurposing another song is rather pointless.
I can write the music, but I can't do lyrics for the life of me.

God Save the Queen was proposed by primeboy1. As For Maple Leaf Forever, it's a safe bet, and no country uses it right now. I prefer if someone did a song specific for our region(as St. George pointed out) however since no-one has done that and I have no personal orchestra at my disposal, I went with an established song that can easily be retooled to fit our region.

As for taking someone else's anthem, it is actually not unheard of and is done quite often(China for example used Frere Jacques in the 1920s, several nations used God Save the Queen, Micronesia uses the Occupied West Germany Anthem). So it's not 'pointless', Many Countries in the 19th century practiced that and Germany itself to this day uses the old Austro-Hungarian anthem.

With regards to The Clash I fought the Law, I do agree that it is unfit, but that is the one that won a govt authorized popular poll back in June of 2014(today is its 2 year anniversary) so it technically is the official anthem. This probably is why many governments do not use democracy for choosing their anthems(or for that matter any national symbols-look at what New Zealand just went through with their Flag debate). Nobody really remembered the legalization though as there's no Flag and anthem video to link to that will remind people.

And Yes I do know that to propose legislation I can just do so, but I prefer to be cautious first before even taking it to RA(plus it narrows down the legislation before going there).

Also this is a thread for voting purposes, The anthem discussion thread is here.

To Hiskjriaana and Ervald: Perhaps you two should work together and come up with something? That would be great. :yes: Anarcticeuropa said he would do it, but so far nothing's come of it.

If someone actually managed to write an original anthem with lyrics, that would be great. If they could make an anthem with people actually singing the lyrics, that would be absurdly amazing. However, until I actually hear an original anthem someone here has composed, I say we just move forward with this and see where it takes us.

Anthem:
1. Hoist the Colors-Pirates of the Caribbean
2. Lulu-Boom Bang A Bang
3. Partant Pour la Syrie
4. Maple Leaf Forever
5. God Save the Czar
6. God Save the Queen
7. The Clash I Fought the Law
8. Serbia Strong (Remove kebab) Orchestral cover V2
Would you like to reopen nominations? No

Very well, I ask the following questions for lyrics: What kind of tone should it be? Grateful and hopeful like Singapore's anthem? Deeply nationalistic like Russia's or Germany's? Courageous and violent like France's?

Is this "Serbia Strong" Orchestral Cover derived from a song glorifying Radovan Karadži?, a convicted war criminal for genocide? I'd rather not have that one.

Kyle:
Is this "Serbia Strong" Orchestral Cover derived from a song glorifying Radovan Karadži?, a convicted war criminal for genocide? I'd rather not have that one.
Who cares? The Star spangled banners tune originates from 'To Anacreon in Heaven', a bloody British song about getting drunk and partying. It just matters if it sounds nice.

Johanness:
Kyle:
Who cares? The Star spangled banners tune originates from 'To Anacreon in Heaven', a bloody British song about getting drunk and partying. It just matters if it sounds nice.
Getting drunk and partying is one thing; a song glorifying a perpetrator of genocide is another.

Ervald:
Very well, I ask the following questions for lyrics: What kind of tone should it be? Grateful and hopeful like Singapore's anthem? Deeply nationalistic like Russia's or Germany's? Courageous and violent like France's?
I mean this with all sincerity: Courageous and violent sounds nice.

There is always this, if we want something a bit more dignified:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya9MK4y3R3w[/video]

"When dragons belch and hippos flee
My thoughts, North pacific, are of thee
Let others boast of martial dash
For we have boldly fought with cash
We own all your helmets, we own all your shoes
We own all your generals - touch us and you'll lose.

North Pacifica! North Pacifica!
TNP owns the day!
We can rule you wholesale
Touch us and you'll pay.

We bankrupt all invaders, we sell them souvenirs
We ner ner ner ner ner, hner ner hner by the ears
Er hner we ner ner ner ner ner
Ner ner her ner ner ner hner the ner
Er ner ner hner ner, nher hner ner ner (etc.)
Ner hner ner, your gleaming swords
We mortgaged to the hilt

North Pacifica! North Pacifica!
Hner ner ner ner ner ner
We can rule you wholesale
Credit where it's due."?

Ervald:
It appears Flemin already made an anthem so I guess you all don't want me to try make lyrics?
Flem's sounds good, but I am curious as to what lyrics you'll come up with.

As for what kind of sound? I like Singapore's anthem. Pinochet's theme song is also good, though I do realize he was a Nazi and therefore has the same issue that 'Serbia Strong' does. France's anthem is also controversial to some in that it's lyrics would make a Khmer Rouge happy(it was first adopted by Robespierre after all). It is memorable and popular though.

Hopeful and stirring is what I prefer. Though I'm open to more upbeat songs like Hail Columbia. Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tatarstan and Basque Country have great anthems in my opinion

I did these lyrics in the style of Singapore.

Walk together, fellow North Pacificans
We shall aim for prosperity together
May our righteous aspiration bring
TNP overflowing happiness

Come along, let us unite
Awaken in a new spirit
Undivided we sing out
Forward TNP
Forward TNP

Come along, let us unite
Awaken in a new spirit
Undivided we sing out
Forward TNP
Forward TNP

No. We are doing Remove Kebab Orchestral V2. Not these silly pop music! Plus Remove Kebab got to be most TNP. The Orchestral doesn't sound similar to the raw one, so it's fine!

Not only is "Hoist the Colors" a good song by itself, it also fits well with the region probably. Also, "Serbia Strong" isn't a song; it's just some really annoying noise.

quak1234:
Not only is "Hoist the Colors" a good song by itself, it also fits well with the region probably. Also, "Serbia Strong" isn't a song; it's just some really annoying noise.
Not that annoying Serbia Strong Original Repeat, the full Instrumental Serbia Strong Orchestral V2. That's boss.

Comparison (like two different songs):
https://youtu.be/o9QRa0hdf9E?t=10s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocW3fBqPQkU

Also, when I listened to Hoist the Colors, it sounds like some Native American Ritual and wonder how it seems like even a song, let alone a national anthem.

To Ervald: Thank you for composing lyrics.

All good songs, and it seems that most of have been submitted. However since no-one(besides quak1234) has actually used my "rank the song system" of deciding this matter, so far it's pretty much even with one person each picking something. the Poll above has a 1 person majority for "Hoist the Colours" followed closely by "The Clash" so that's somewhat helpful, However, most people did not pick either of those songs which my ballot system was supposed to address. I suspect if i didn't have the vote for two system, the Clash would have won with only like 20% of the vote and 80% voting against it(the 80/20 rule). It actually won an Anthem contest back in June of 2014 with only 30% of the vote.

The Poll system has a major drawback in that if only a few of a united minority votes in it, they can effectively steamroll the majority of voters(my two-choices system mitigated that somewhat in the poll). This happens in RL elections such as the United States where only 40% of voters participate and half of them vote for one candidate or the other on average, so about 20% of the US population will indirectly pick either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton in November. The purpose of the poll was to be a tie-breaker if necessary, not the decider.

I am changing the ballot one last time to reflect the other submissions that people have since put forward. Once all the ballots have been submitted and a song is finally settled upon. I will then introduce the legislation to the Regional Assembly which will make the winner of the votes in this thread the anthem (or it will get soundly rejected in legislative death). So please vote using the ballot system I provided. :)

Ballot:
Anthem: < The Clash I Fought the Law | Maple Leaf Forever | Partant Pour la Syrie | Lulu-Boom Bang A Bang | Hoist the Colors-Pirates of the Caribbean | God Save the Queen | God Save the Czar | Serbia Strong (Remove kebab) Orchestral cover V2 |Anhk Morpork National Anthem| "Majulah Singapura" >
1. "Majulah Singapura"
2. Maple Leaf Forever
3. Partant Pour la Syrie
4. God Save the Czar
5. Anhk Morpork Song
6. Hoist the Colours
7. God Save the Queen
8. Serbia Strong Orchestra version
9. Lulu-Boom Bang A Bang
10. The Clash-I Fought the Law
Would you like to reopen nominations? < No >

I really think you'd get more support for a regional anthem if you composed something and had some of our regional singers give the lyrics a go. I mean, come on, we're the best region in the world (sorry everyone who isn't from TNP and is reading this) can't we at least try to make a good anthem instead of re-purposing a song?

None of these are actually fit to be national anthems, except ones that ARE national anthems. Like 'The Maple Leaf Forever' and 'God save the Queen'. Except we're not The United Kingdom or Dominion of Canada.

Vote early, vote often:

Anthem:
1. Hoist the Colours
2. Lulu-Boom Bang A Bang
3. Maple Leaf Forever
4. Partant Pour la Syrie
5. God Save the Czar
6. God Save the Queen
7. Anhk Morpork Song
8. "Majulah Singapura"
9. The Clash-I Fought the Law
10. Serbia Strong Orchestra version

Bootsie:
I really think you'd get more support for a regional anthem if you composed something and had some of our regional singers give the lyrics a go. I mean, come on, we're the best region in the world (sorry everyone who isn't from TNP and is reading this) can't we at least try to make a good anthem instead of re-purposing a song?
Bootsie, are you offering up you're vocal cords?

this is turning into a right pigs ear of a process, with a combination of ballots and polls. But here goes:

Anthem: < | >
1.The Clash I Fought the Law
2.Hoist the Colors-Pirates of the Caribbean
3.Anhk Morpork National Anthem
4. God Save the Queen
5. Lulu-Boom Bang A Bang

Joint 6.Maple Leaf Forever, Partant Pour la Syrie, God Save the Czar, Serbia Strong (Remove kebab) Orchestral cover V2, "Majulah Singapura"

I like the idea of having a sea chanty (i.e. The Pirates of the Caribbean song) as an anthem. But like others have said, I think we should do something original.

Anthem: < Serbia Strong (remove kebab) Ochestral V2 >

Would you like to reopen nominations? < Yes >

I can't believe people are voting for a rock-and-roll song from the 1960s and a sea shanty that sounds like a Native American ritual for a national anthem

Better both of those than an anthem of genocidal Serbian nationalism. The fact that you think otherwise is disappointing - and I say that as someone who doesn't even want a TNP anthem.

St George:
Better both of those than an anthem of genocidal Serbian nationalism. The fact that you think otherwise is disappointing - and I say that as someone who doesn't even want a TNP anthem.
Incorrect in two ways

1. The version is Orchestral and edited, so it's much different than the regular version
2. There aren't any lyrics in it

Well so far the votes are in: Hoist the Colours is in the lead with 9 head2head matches won. Still cast your ballots though. This does not formally end until Tuesday at 11:59 PM CST

Maple Leaf Forever is 2nd with 7.
Partant Pour la Syrie and Lulu are tied for 3rd place each having won 6 boxes(Poll says Partant Pour la Syrie beat it).
4. God Save the Czar and Anhk Morpork Song with 5 each
5. God Save the Queen with 4
6. The Clash with 2
7. Singapore's Anthem with 1
8. Serbia Strong Orchestral version with 0

Note: There were 21 Boxes Tied before I remembered to count my own vote. If I didn't cast a vote it will be Tied with Hoist the Colours and Lulu in the Lead. GSQ/AMS/Clash were tied for 2nd Place, MLF had 4th. PPS had 5th GSC/Serbia had 6th and Singapore had 7th. I gave 1 point each to tie votes in that counting system. Half-point system would drop The Clash/GSQ/AMS to 5th place.

Now here is how this election is going to work.

Step 1: Make a Table
Step 2: Pic two songs like Hoist the colours vs the clash.
Step 3: Determine the number of votes where Hoist the Colours beat the clash vs the other way around. If a tie give a point Half-point to each. If no tie, the winner wins the respective box in the table.
Step 4: Count up the number of boxes Hoist the Colours has won.

Here is the table to show how I'm going to count it.

Winner of the Head2head match ups.[c]Hoist the Colours[c]Lulu-Boom Bang A Bang[c]Maple Leaf Forever[c]Partant pour la Syrie[c]God Save the Czar[c]God Save the Queen[c]Anhk Morpork Song[c]The Clash-I Fought the Law[c]Serbia Strong Orchestra version[c]Majulah Singapura[c]Hoist the Colours[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]Lulu-Boom Bang A Bang[c]Hoist the Colours[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]Maple Leaf Forever[c]Hoist the Colours[c]Lulu-Boom Bang A Bang[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]Partant pour la Syrie[c]Hoist the Colours[c]Lulu-Boom Bang A Bang[c]Maple Leaf Forever[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]God Save the Czar[c]Hoist the Colours[c]Lulu-Boom Bang A Bang[c]Maple Leaf Forever[c]Partant pour la Syrie[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]God Save the Queen[c]Hoist the Colours[c]God Save the Queen[c]Maple Leaf Forever[c]Partant pour la Syrie[c]God Save the Czar[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]Anhk Morpork Song[c]Hoist the Colours[c]Anhk Morpork Song[c]Maple Leaf Forever[c]Partant pour la Syrie[c]God Save the Czar[c]Anhk Morpork Song[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]The Clash-I Fought the Law[c]Hoist the Colours[c]Lulu-Boom Bang A Bang[c]Maple Leaf Forever[c]Partant pour la Syrie[c]God Save the Czar[c]God Save the Queen[c]Anhk Morpork Song[c]X[c]X[c]X[c]Serbia Strong Orchestra version[c]Hoist the Colours[c]Lulu-Boom Bang A Bang[c]Maple Leaf Forever[c]Partant pour la Syrie[c]God Save the Czar[c]God Save the Queen[c]Anhk Morpork Song[c]The Clash-I Fought the Law[c]X[c]X[c]Majulah Singapura[c]Hoist the Colours[c]Lulu-Boom Bang A Bang[c]Maple Leaf Forever[c]Partant pour la Syrie[c]God Save the Czar[c]God Save the Queen[c]Anhk Morpork Song[c]The Clash-I Fought the Law[c]Majulah Singapura[c]X

Also, if I made an error in my math, don't hesitate to point it out. This is just a general update.

Well I've counted the votes. Hoist the Colours wins with 9 Boxes.

Maple Leaf Forever got 7.5 Boxes(one was tied with Lulu).

God Save the Queen got 5.5 Boxes

Partant Pour la Syrie was tied with Lulu for 5 boxes each

Anhk Morpork Song got 4.5 boxes

God Save the Czar got 4 boxes

Majulah Singapura got 2 boxes

Serbia Strong got 1 box

The Clash got .5 Box(they were tied Serbia Strong's box)

I hope everyone enjoyed this novel way of voting and showcases something Stalin said almost a century ago. "You know, comrades, that I think in regard to this: I consider it completely unimportant who in the party will vote, or how; but what is extraordinarily important is this — who will count the votes, and how." .

Notice how I almost got Maple Leaf Forever to win and the Clash(the winner in a first past the post vote with only 30% two years ago) got last place by using a different voting system with a mostly fair system. Granted Arrow's Impossibility theorem states that no election can ever be considered mathematically fair. If you disliked the arrangement of the winners and you're interested in nondemocratic, more efficient methods of decision, check out BBC arguing the benefits of dictatorships, or the MadMonarchist deconstructing democratic myths.(Note: I'm not exactly serious here. But is interesting discussion.)

Elegarth:
What an unnecessarily complex... hey a PoTC song! *votes*

Indeed, This system was invented by Marie Jean Antoine Nicolas de Caritat, Maquis de Condorcet a French Revolutionary and mathematician who was assassinated by other French Revolutionaries in 1794(likely Robespierre's faction). Napoleon invented the word Ideologue to describe Condorcet's faction of idealists. That faction were basically the Unibots of their day. You can read more about them here. My opinion of the idealists is they "did some good and much harm" as a euology for Thomas Paine once said.

quak1234:
Vote early, vote often:

Anthem:
1. Hoist the Colours
2. Lulu-Boom Bang A Bang
3. Maple Leaf Forever
4. Partant Pour la Syrie
5. God Save the Czar
6. God Save the Queen
7. Anhk Morpork Song
8. "Majulah Singapura"
9. The Clash-I Fought the Law
10. Serbia Strong Orchestra version

Bootsie:
Bootsie, are you offering up you're vocal cords?
If that means we get an original anthem, I will lend up my vocal cords.

Back