North Pacific Union again

Johanness

TNPer
I know this topic has been debated for a long time but I'm considering to make a North Pacific Union. It should function as a world government protecting the interests of peace, prosperity, and cooperation, regardless of what ideology nations have. It would work like the World Assembly, electing a Secretary-General to represent the Union. Bills would be proposed onto the floor and move onto voting once it earns the support of a certain number of member states. Then nations would decide whether to go into compliance with it or not. Compulsory laws like the Charter and Human Rights would be drafted by all member states.

Why? There has been two Great Wars in the region, and with the NPTO and DU, that should not happen. Not just peacekeeping. For organizations right now here is my views. I've looked at the DU voting floor and laws and it's not in good shape. All that happens is continuous attempts to suspend members, amending the constitution, and then electing a new chair. There is also 1 or 2 laws in there but that is just it. One of the proposals in voting is "Recognise Richard as King of McMasterdonia" which is utterly absurd because it should be the member states who decide the internal affairs of their nation, not other nations. The DU is also 'Democratic Union' meaning its just for Democracies and not nations as a whole. And for the NPTO, I just see it as a military organization and nothing else. I seen the forum for the NPTO is gone, not so sure about what happened there.

Just a thought.

You might garner more support if you were an active RPer...otherwise, how do we know this wont be another failed/inactive/ineffective organization? Are you even on the map?

Well, the DU is probably going to just go further into craziness the more organisations that are out there, especially if said organisations work together well. If the NPU and NPTO work well together (and I see no reason why not) then it should be ok.

While I can understand the want / need for this type of organization, The Rose League shall be sitting on the sidelines for this one for a few reasons at this time. Chief among those being that The Rose Forum, the overarching government of my three nations, already guarantees, promotes and protects human rights of all Merilians. Furthermore, there is already a hefty infrastructure setup within the military to allow for quick responses with peacekeeping and humanitarian aid, as evidenced by our response to Cronaal. Lastly, we maintain a self declared neutrality from world affairs outside providing international aid (peacekeeping and humanitarian aid depending on the situation).

So I pose this question to you... What benefit can this proposed North Pacific Union bring to The Rose League that cannot / is not already provided for?

standards.png

Wolfsea:
Well, the DU is probably going to just go further into craziness the more organisations that are out there, especially if said organisations work together well. If the NPU and NPTO work well together (and I see no reason why not) then it should be ok.
Unlikely, considering who now leads the DU. What you can probably expect is for DU entrance requirements to become much less stringent.

I've always thought of the DU as just a democracies-only cool kids club rather than a true and pragmatic alliance. I would not be against a World Assembly-like body that regulates international law. That would certainly be very fun to simulate.

Nightsong:
While I can understand the want / need for this type of organization, The Rose League shall be sitting on the sidelines for this one for a few reasons at this time. Chief among those being that The Rose Forum, the overarching government of my three nations, already guarantees, promotes and protects human rights of all Merilians. Furthermore, there is already a hefty infrastructure setup within the military to allow for quick responses with peacekeeping and humanitarian aid, as evidenced by our response to Cronaal. Lastly, we maintain a self declared neutrality from world affairs outside providing international aid (peacekeeping and humanitarian aid depending on the situation).

So I pose this question to you... What benefit can this proposed North Pacific Union bring to The Rose League that cannot / is not already provided for?
Yeah! Like, what can the UN bring that the UK already hasn't done?

Syrixia:
I've always thought of the DU as just a democracies-only cool kids club rather than a true and pragmatic alliance. I would not be against a World Assembly-like body that regulates international law. That would certainly be very fun to simulate.
Rixikins has pretty much hit it on the head.

Wolfsea:
Syrixia:
Rixikins has pretty much hit it on the head.
:winner:

Johanness:
Bustos:
Isn't that what we're doing now?
No. We're just criticizing the DU.
...then what is all of the following?

Just a thought.

You might garner more support if you were an active RPer...otherwise, how do we know this wont be another failed/inactive/ineffective organization? Are you even on the map?

This will only work if we can get the membership of all independent states.

Just cuz DU-haters are trying to hijack your thread, doesn't mean others haven't expressed their thoughts on the matter of your NPU.

I'm genuinely curious about this concept that has been proposed yet I have reservations which I already stated in my original answer to this thread. And trying to compare my nation to the United Kingdom when it joined the United Nations is an absolutely horrendous analogy. For one, my nation's are more akin to Switzerland in that they have a declared neutrality and have an organization set up for the sole purpose of humanitarian aid, for my nation's it is called the International Committee of the Blue Shield and it is basically a fantasy role play equivalent of the real world International Committee of the Red Cross. Secondly, The Rose League's constitution upholds, guarantees and protects many human rights for its citizens and as such any secondary document would be seen by my citizens as redundant and unnecessary.

Having said all this, again I ask you... what can this proposed North Pacific Union bring to the Merilians of the Rose League that their constitution and government does already do / provide?

Edit: The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to find a reason to join. Currently, there are two negatives against my nation joining which I stated above. I need more reasons for joining than against joining to consider it.

Nebula:
Myroria:
so much this

This will only work if we can get the membership of all independent states.
Sadakoyama considers most of you uncultured, illiterate and superstitious king-fanciers that can't put on your own trousers without help. We wouldn't join any organization that even imagines it has any kind of authority or supervision over us.

I mean, the international community could decide it has the authority and supervision to enforce a certain standard of behaviour on states. That's not a new concept, both in real life and in TNP RP.

Sadakoyama might not have much choice in adopting some form of standards.

St George:
I mean, the international community could decide it has the authority and supervision to enforce a certain standard of behaviour on states. That's not a new concept, both in real life and in TNP RP.

Well, considering that Sadakoyama is a nation committed to cultural and personal development, neutral and pacifistic non-aggressive international relations - including having not responded militarily despite extreme provocation, while the other nations of the region go to war for trivial reasons such as poor digestion or simply because is nothing good on television - it is our feeling that if anything they should be held to our standard.

St George:

What would you do to enforce a behaviour standard exactly, short of actually invading the place? don't know much about Sadakoyama's international relations given my newness to RP'ing here, but their relative neutrality and isolationism would give them a layer of protection from international sanctions, no?

Piscivore:
St George:

Well, considering that Sadakoyama is a nation committed to cultural and personal development, neutral and pacifistic non-aggressive international relations - including having not responded militarily despite extreme provocation, while the other nations of the region go to war for trivial reasons such as poor digestion or simply because is nothing good on television - it is our feeling that if anything they should be held to our standard.

Sasten:
St George:

What would you do to enforce a behaviour standard exactly, short of actually invading the place? don't know much about Sadakoyama's international relations given my newness to RP'ing here, but their relative neutrality and isolationism would give them a layer of protection from international sanctions, no?

It's not just Sadakoyama. The Rose League is neutral as well, albeit under different circumstances as we allow humanitarian interventionism should it be deemed appropriate for the situation at hand. So I'm curious as well... how exactly would you hold the neutral countries to these standards?

Sasten:
St George:

Isolationism, doesn't mean self sufficient.

Sanctions would hurt. Even if a minority group of nations continued to trade with the "banned nation," its economy would be crippled.

Bustos:
Sanctions would hurt. Even if a minority group of nations continued to trade with the "banned nation," its economy would be crippled.
Some nations, and their people, find more value in things other than, well, 'things'. There are treasures, for them, of far greater value than wealth.

Back