Minister of Culture
-
Pronouns
They/Them
TNP Nation
Guslantis
Discord
bootsie
I've heard that if you've got to do something right, you have to do it yourself, so that's exactly what I'm going to do. Apparently the message was translated too many times while we were creating this organization, resulting in something none of us could get behind. Or maybe it will laziness or an elitist point of view. I'm not entirely sure, however. I do know, with full confidence that it is time to decide who we are and what we stand for, before we lose the momentum we had when we started this thing under my predecessors. Before I begin, representatives, if this is not a process you'd like to go through, please, don't let the door hit you on the way out. This organization was originally planned for about five nations, so I won't cry over spilled milk. Anyway, if you're still listening to me at this point, I'd like to clarify what I think we should stand for: peace, economic stability, and cooperation. That's it. Yes, I think the military is nice, yes, I think that sovereignty should be respected, but I don't want this organization to ever obligate its members to declare war on a nation it thinks would be detrimental to its state.

Therefore, we must be willing to go back to the drawing board, repealing the charter if necessary and figuring out what we are and why we stand tall as the North Pacific Treaty Organization. I'm not giving up, and if you are, then move out of my way.

-Queen Leah
Monarch of Guslantis

A third try. Good luck in advance.

Syrixia would be interested in seeing where this goes. As it stands, NPTO is a very pro-eastern, militaristic organization. This must change.

Syrixia will assist NPTO's members (as it is one) in these reforms.

Awesome! While representatives have time to respond, please answer these questions!

What is wrong with NPTO? (be specific)

What works within its system?

What is the current goal, and how do you want the goal to be changed?

What can we do to keep the integrity of NPTO and not lose half of our membership?

Bootsie:
Awesome! While representatives have time to respond, please answer these questions!

What is wrong with NPTO? (be specific)

What works within its system?

What is the current goal, and how do you want the goal to be changed?

What can we do to keep the integrity of NPTO and not lose half of our membership?
1 and 2. It's too big and too bureaucratic. It's all bark and no bite. The NPTO is colossal, but it has little influence, is heavily pro-East, and its members refuse to participate.

3. I don't even know what the current goal is. But it must be changed to what it should have been; economic cooperation and preserving peace among its members, as well as working for charitable causes worldwide.

4. We MUST lose half our membership, for they refuse to participate. NPTO was originally meant to be a small entente. It should never have become what it is today.

Thanks for the speedy replies, the delegate from Syrixia, I hope to see where everyone is on the same page, and not on the same page. Can you tell me what you think works, or has potential to work with revision?

Here is my proposal, a decently amended version of an earlier one I submitted. Please read the whole thing thoroughly before making comments.

1. NPTO should dissolve the Assembly, as well as the Offices of Chairman and Deputy Chairman. NPTO should also reorganize aesthetically as well, and make a new logo and flag. Once this is done, implementing the following as our new start shall be simple.

2. The three dissolved functions should be replaced with none at all. NPTO will decide on matters quickly and efficiently through simple conversation at an appointed place and/or time. The Secretary-General, an elected figurehead elected every 2 months, will make decisions based on the general consensus of this informal assembly during the discussion. This gets rid of the bureaucracy. MORE INFO: http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/topics_49178.htm

3. NPTO should purge itself of all inactive members. The Charter should also be heavily amended. The remaining members will draft this amended charter and then elect the first Secretary-General. The Election Commissioner shall always be an active member of the NPTO and the role will move around depending on this factor. Once this is done, NPTO should pursue international recruitment.

4. NPTO will be an alliance of maintaining peace between its members, bolstering economic cooperation between its members, and encouraging though not requiring mutual defense.

5. NPTO headquarters will remain in Augustus Town, Guslantis, unless a motion is made to move it elsewhere.

Trinster would gladly support the reforms that Syrixia has proposed, as it would make the NPTO what we had envisioned when we joined it.

1 and 2. And you would rather support the world's slowest bureaucracy? Look at groups such as the Novrith Pact, who decide their affairs simply by consensus. With NPTO, it takes time to vote. I ask you, WHERE was NPTO when the Great War broke out? Mired in bureaucracy to the point where they didn't decide anything. WHERE was NPTO when the Second Great War broke out. It didn't even convene. THE BUREAUCRACY MUST END.

3. By not purging inactive members, NPTO is basically like a child who only has a few friends but lies and says he has a lot. We must purge those who refuse to be what they applied to be and find new members to take their place who are willing to actually be members.

Syrixia:
1 and 2. And you would rather support the world's slowest bureaucracy? Look at groups such as the Novrith Pact, who decide their affairs simply by consensus. With NPTO, it takes time to vote. I ask you, WHERE was NPTO when the Great War broke out? Mired in bureaucracy to the point where they didn't decide anything. WHERE was NPTO when the Second Great War broke out. It didn't even convene. THE BUREAUCRACY MUST END.

3. By not purging inactive members, NPTO is basically like a child who only has a few friends but lies and says he has a lot. We must purge those who refuse to be what they applied to be and find new members to take their place who are willing to actually be members.
I also quote this statement from the honorable Plembobrian delegate: "When Abigail Hilley founded this Organization, she sought a union in which members of all kinds of nations and cultures could come together for cooperation. He believed that this could bring about peace."

Radical reform such as what I propose is what is needed for this goal. Being too moderate and not willing to let go of inherently flawed systems will only bring us more of those same flaws. It is time to truly change.

Yeah, I agree with the next delegate that change is needed, but aesthetic changes such as a flag change or new name for our Chairman are useless.

It is important that we act with democratic principles in mind, so to ensure that members are not tyrannized by the body of the NPTO. In view of this, we should not dissolve the NPTO Assembly, but rather maintain a three-branch system.

The legislative branch, the Assembly, should be the source of power, using its authority to discuss and undertake resolutions for the benefit of all its members. Resolutions regarding war and economic sanctions must require unanimous consent of the body.

The executive branch shall execute the resolutions of the Assembly, be it a resolution for military or diplomatic action. The Assembly shall grant the Executive the necessary resources for execution, as well as conduct checks on the conduct of the Executive.

The judicial branch shall be a court of nations. They shall judge if nations have violated the precepts of the NPTO or individuals or parties who have violated international law or laws of war.

And by doing so, you thereby preserve NPTO's massive, inefficient bureaucracy, the unit that allowed this mess to occur. The bureaucracy must be shrunk heavily.

The problem is not bureaucracy; the problem is that members don't give a damn about this organization. How small you cut the organization will not matter. The three branches will allow more issues to be raised and resolved.

The reason the members don't give a damn is because the organization is too complicated. Nothing ever gets done due to complicated processes and the bureaucracy, and thus the members turn their backs on NPTO.

Kannex:
The problem is not bureaucracy; the problem is that members don't give a damn about this organization. How small you cut the organization will not matter. The three branches will allow more issues to be raised and resolved.

Syrixia:
The reason the members don't give a damn is because the organization is too complicated. Nothing ever gets done due to complicated processes and the bureaucracy, and thus the members turn their backs on NPTO.

Perhaps an outside perspective could help. I am more than willing to give my views but seeing as I'm not a member of NPTO, I don't want to intrude without permission.

We, as the founding nation, grant permission for the delegate of Aurora Orb to speak in these chambers.

And I, as the RP Mod seriously considering how serious you all are about this, gives everyone with a positive contribution to make to get involved.

And also to speak OOCly, so as to actually get on with it instead of wondering how to talk about this in character.

Having some structure would at least give us potential for RPs such as international legal disputes and trials for war criminals. We'd also have a pre-existing executive structure for enforcing the Assembly's decisions without any delay. The vigorous debate in the Assembly is obviously necessary if you want this organization to reflect the general consensus. I think it would be a fair balance between expediency and fairness.

EDIT: Failing that, I don't really see the point of continuing this organization. It's pretty much a second DU at the moment and there's not much that NPTO can do that DU can't already do. The DU has more credibility, at this moment, at any rate.

What I think is simply that the DU took the thunder before NPTO did. I wouldn't say that bureaucracy is what diverted activity away. I mean looking at the governing documents of both DU and NPTO, the DU is more complex as it has a judiciary and judicial elections where's NPTO doesn't (to my knowledge) and it doesn't bestow too great powers outside its assembly. But this is what I see as the main problems:

• Similarity between DU and NPTO - They are both similar, not in structure or membership, but in principles. Bootsie said this organisation was to stand for peace, economic stability, and cooperation. Isn't that more or less the same as the DU? I know that the DU especially stands for democracy and maybe also the NPTO (i'm not sure), but those aforementioned principles make the two close in similarity. So when it comes to choosing, DU has the edge as it has more activity therefore more appeal.
  • Lack of NPTO involvement - As Syrixia correct stated, this organisation hasn't been involved in much. Why? I would say members not bringing the NPTO into such affairs. The DU remains active by either its members bringing the organsiation into role-plays or the organisation bringing itself into them. I don't think either have been done for NPTO. Whether members forgot or otherwise, I dunno but it was left out and as a result, it started to gather dust. Both organisations were created for roleplay yet only one was used. The question then is, why? Is it because other members moved focus to DU or just Nation RP, or is that they genuinely forgot? I would also say that the leadership of both org's should endeavour to promote their respective organisations wherever they can in RP. Initiate activity wherever possible and attempt to bring it away from inactivity before it reaches it. Have they done this?

Well then, I will make sure that NPTO will be featured in my next RP, which is slowly grinding ahead as a solo RP, but will hopefully develop into a collaborative RP.

Back