-
-
Pronouns
he/him/his
TNP Nation
Zemnaya Svoboda
Discord
Eluvatar#8517
It's come to my attention that the selection of fonts the forum suggests is pretty narrow.

The way fonts work on the forum is that you can specify any font you like with the font tag, but it'll only work if the font's actually available. The posting interface makes Verdana, Times New Roman, Arial, Georgia, and Monaco available in the drop down menu, presumably assuming that all browsers / operating systems have them.

In this modern age it's possible to import fonts into the forum using javascript. For example, the UDL forum makes heavy use of this.

I would like to open up this topic for various users of this forum, including Roleplayers and others, to make suggestions of fonts they'd like to see made available.

For the set of fonts we end up with a consensus behind, we can add them to the forum and add code to rewrite the Font drop down menu to include them.

My own personal favorite is a font named "Optima" or "Zapf Humanist." It is elegant, clean and has an extremely contemporary feel to it even though it was created by Hermann Zapf in 1958.

http://www.grapheine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/optima.png

If you recognize the font, it is used on the Vietnam Memorial Wall on the National Mall in Washington, DC. I've liked the font since I first saw in in high school, when I was on the yearbook staff and selected it as the font used in that year's yearbook.

This is only tangentially related, but since we're on the subject of fonts, I'm posting it here.

In another forum, I installed font awesome. Originally I was only going to use it for the forum skin, but later I decided to also make it available to users through a special BBCode tag. For example, you can type

Code:
[icon]battery-half[/icon]
and this will be replaced by the icon of the same name in the list included in the above URL. The new BBCode tag and the icon set have since seen considerable use.

It may be worth installing the same functionality here, if people think it'll be useful. I can provide the code and installation instructions (not that it's anything too involved).

That is a very nice font suggested by Grosse.

I like r3n's suggestion as well.

I suggest two fonts. I'll edit this post later today when I can get their names.

I object to having any font that makes our total of fonts plural, including four of the existing ones. One is plenty! :P

I would like to see "wingdings" and "chiller"

You may have to go back to microsoft word 2003 to see what chiller looks like.. or even earlier. But it would be worth it!

Pretty sure some of those types of fonts are available through Corel Worperfect. Pretty sure Wingdings is.

McM, if you can find a web posted image of those fonts, it would make things easier to check. I have a ton of fonts installed on my notebooks.

Grosseschnauzer:
My own personal favorite is a font named "Optima" or "Zapf Humanist." It is elegant, clean and has an extremely contemporary feel to it even though it was created by Hermann Zapf in 1958.

http://www.grapheine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/optima.png

If you recognize the font, it is used on the Vietnam Memorial Wall on the National Mall in Washington, DC. I've liked the font since I first saw in in high school, when I was on the yearbook staff and selected it as the font used in that year's yearbook.

Lord Ravenclaw:
I am a fan of certain items within the Kingthings Set.

Websites:
http://www.kingthingsfonts.co.uk/fonts/fonts.htm
http://www.fontspace.com/kingthings (more recent, as far as I can tell than the first link)

Kingthings Petrock;
Kingthings Exeter;
Kingthings Serifique;
Kingthings Organica 2;
Kingthings Wrote;
Kingthings Calligraphica;
Kingthings Foundation;

Syrixia:
plembobria:
Comic Sans :P
NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Also:

Kohinoor Devanagari
Geneva
Palatino
Heiti SC

mcmasterdonia:
I would like to see "wingdings" and "chiller"

You may have to go back to microsoft word 2003 to see what chiller looks like.. or even earlier. But it would be worth it!

Vazos:
One font I rather like is something I've only ever seen in Google Docs. This is Philosopher.

The suggestions are now listed in the github issue in one clear checklist for looking over.

r3naissanc3r:
This is only tangentially related, but since we're on the subject of fonts, I'm posting it here.

In another forum, I installed font awesome. Originally I was only going to use it for the forum skin, but later I decided to also make it available to users through a special BBCode tag. For example, you can type

Code:
[icon]battery-half[/icon]
and this will be replaced by the icon of the same name in the list included in the above URL. The new BBCode tag and the icon set have since seen considerable use.

It may be worth installing the same functionality here, if people think it'll be useful. I can provide the code and installation instructions (not that it's anything too involved).

This is now issue #35.

Back