Proposal: banning law

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
I propose that we ban from the RA, the forum and the region anyone whose name rhymes with the word "carpet".

The reason is, of course, obvious.

Death is too good for them.

EDIT:

After the drafting phase, the wording of the bill stands as follows:

BILL OF ATTAINMENT

The bill would insert text into the legal code section 1.8 as follows (inserted text in Red)

Section 1.8. Gross Misconduct
23. "Gross Misconduct" is defined as the violation of an individual's legally mandated sworn oath, either willfully or through negligence.
24. holding a forum name or nation name containing a legitimate english language word that is a pure rhyme with "carpet" shall be considered gross misconduct, and shall be punishable by summary remasking to "persona non grata" forum group.

Renumbering as necessary.

It would simple codify what has already been happening since at least 2005. I just thought it ought to be put in a law.

Rumour has already reached my ears that plans are afoot to sideline or block this legislation and to prevent you, the ordinary hard-working citizens of TNP, from exercising democratic say over how your region is run and who is allowed in.

The full legal and polemical might of the trouserite establishment will be brought to bear over the coming days. Stand firm! Stand tall! our hour is at hand.

Let democracy have its say! I have added a poll:

US%20style%20telegraph%20mast.jpg

You have my support. The second someone named Marpet or Larpet gets a vote is the second this region's values are erased from existence.

Do you think someone whose name rhymes with carpet would vote neutrally on the issue of what to make the floors of the RA out of? Of course not! The carpet lobby would control this region the moment we allow their ilk to obtain citizenship.

Since there have been no more comments on this bill or objections, I take it folks are happy for this to move into formal debate?

I so move.

I must first note that the proposal, as a Bill, must actually have text associated with it, specifying what it amends and how, whether it is inserted into an existing Article/Chapter/Section, and the like. I also note that I shall not be moving the Bill, when it acquires text, into formal debate, unless otherwise instructed by Mr Speaker.

Understood.

The bill would insert text into the legal code section 1.8 as follows (inserted text in Red)

23. "Gross Misconduct" is defined as the violation of an individual's legally mandated sworn oath, either willfully or through negligence.
24. holding a forum name or nation name containing a legitimate english language word that rhymes with "carpet" shall be considered gross misconduct, and shall be punishable by summary remasking to "persona non grata" forum group.

Does that work for people?

flemingovia:
Understood.

24. holding a forum name or nation name containing a legitimate english language word that rhymes with "carpet" shall be considered gross misconduct, and shall be punishable by summary remasking to "persona non grata" forum group.

Does that work for people?
The bill does not work for me, and I believe it is unconstitutional as a violation of the Bill of Rights, "equality of vote" and other provisions therein.

It is also a bill of attainment and a violation of equal protection and due process of law.

That said, this proposal ought.to be allowed to die an quiet and ignored death.

Grosseschnauzer:
It is also a bill of attainment...
I am not sure what a bill of attainment is. I find no mention of it in our laws. However, I think TNP should be all about attainment and aspiration, so I think that such a thing would be a very fine thing to have in TNP.

I think it is wonderful that you comsider my bill to be a bill of attainment. Since the ambition of this bill is to attain a carpet-free TNP, I will adopt this title for this bill.

This bill is hereby called "the Bill of Attainment."

Many thanks for the suggestion.

We could reword the proposal to bypass the Bill of Rights, so we make clear that we don't recognise carpet rhymers as nations, so all of the rights on the BoR don't apply to them.

Not that I support this wholeheartedly, just saying.

Flemingovia:
I am not sure what a bill of attainment is. I find no mention of it in our laws.
I believe Grosse meant: (all bolding mine)

Clause 9; BoR:
9. Each Nation in The North Pacific is guaranteed the organization and operation of the governmental authorities of the region on fundamental principles of democracy, accountability, and transparency. No action by the governmental authorities of the region shall deny to any Nation of The North Pacific, due process of law, including prior notice and the opportunity to be heard, nor deny to any Nation of The North Pacific the equal and fair treatment and protection of the provisions of the Constitution. No governmental authority shall have power to adopt or impose an ex post facto law or a bill of attainder as to any act for purposes of criminal proceedings.
In case you're curious:
definition:
A bill of attainder (also known as an act of attainder or writ of attainder or bill of pains and penalties) is an act of a legislature declaring a person or group of persons guilty of some crime and punishing them without a trial.
Lennart:
We could reword the proposal to bypass the Bill of Rights, so we make clear that we don't recognise carpet rhymers as nations, so all of the rights on the BoR don't apply to them.
I'm not sure if you're at all serious with this statement (I hope not) but:
Clause 2; BoR:
2. Each Nation's rights to free speech, free press, and the free expression of religion shall not be infringed, and shall be encouraged, by the governmental authorities of the region. Each Nation has the right to assemble, and to petition the governmental authorities of the region, including the WA Delegate, for the redress of grievances. The governmental authorities of the region shall act only in the best interests of the Region, as permitted and limited under the Constitution.
which is guaranteed by:
Article 1; Constitution:
1. All nations are guaranteed the rights defined by the Bill of Rights.

Falap, we already curtail many of these rights when we declare a nation to be "persona non grata". If you look at my OP, you will see that this bill of Attainment simply adds Carpet Rhymers to this forum mask.

Now I think we accept that adding people to the PNG group does not break the bill of rights, so the Bill of Rights should no longer apply to this bill. the issue in question is which people should be placed in this group. I think Carpet Rhymers qualify.

Falapatorius, you're quoting nations' rights, but what if we decide, as a region, that carpet rhymers are not nations? What if we don't recognise them as such? Then we simply can't grant them any protection under the BoR

flemingovia:
Falap, we already curtail many of these rights when we declare a nation to be "persona non grata". If you look at my OP, you will see that this bill of Attainment simply adds Carpet Rhymers to this forum mask.

Now I think we accept that adding people to the PNG group does not break the bill of rights, so the Bill of Rights should no longer apply to this bill. the issue in question is which people should be placed in this group. I think Carpet Rhymers qualify.

FYI Persona non Grata has never actually stopped anyone from applying for Citizenship (or even Residence afaik).

Flemingovia:
Then perhaps those declared PNG should have filed a complaint with the AG at the time it happened. But that's not the issue here. Your bill adds a line to the Criminal Code, specifically the crime of Gross Misconduct. Summary re-masking (as a punishment) makes it a bill of attainder as Grosse pointed out. I realize this is mostly you taking the p*ss out of TNP Law (which you seem to hold in very low regard), but it is surprising a sitting Justice wouldn't know better.

Lennart:
Falapatorius, you're quoting nations' rights, but what if we decide, as a region, that carpet rhymers are not nations? What if we don't recognise them as such? Then we simply can't grant them any protection under the BoR
Sigh. This is getting ridiculous. If you feel that won't run afoul of the Law at some point, then carry on. It's quite obvious that if someone didn't quote nations' rights under the BoR, they would be trampled on in this instance.

I believe that declaring having a name rhyming with carpet to be a case of Gross Misconduct would sidestep the BOR issue, as it would render them subject to criminal trial.

The masking would probably be an issue, as PNG status does not prevent someone from applying for citizenship and citizens must be able to see citizen areas.

However, what I'm wondering is: What legitimate english word rhymes with Carpet? I can't think of any, which would make this text functionally meaningless. :unsure:

Many do, including marpet, larpet, and the Devil's favorite word...ugh...FARPET. *gag*

Silly String:
I believe that declaring having a name rhyming with carpet to be a case of Gross Misconduct would sidestep the BOR issue, as it would render them subject to criminal trial.
:rofl: I don't think it does. The bill states that having the name alone shall be considered Gross Misconduct and will result in summary remasking. No trial (fair or otherwise) is implied. If someone is a rhymer, it would be quite obvious and indefensible (which constitutes a bill of attainder imo, as even a show trial would be a farce). Anyway, free speech would also be a BoR consideration. But meh.. I'm not going to get involved in a legal debate over this ridiculousness. I'll sit back and watch the trainwreck (and alternate between laughing and shaking my head).

Looks like the inmates are running the asylum again. :duh:

SillyString:

The masking would probably be an issue, as PNG status does not prevent someone from applying for citizenship and citizens must be able to see citizen areas.

However, what I'm wondering is: What legitimate english word rhymes with Carpet? I can't think of any, which would make this text functionally meaningless. :unsure:
I think that was the point. Flemingovia said it has always been his practice to ban people with a name that rhymes with carpet. He hasn't banned anyone for that yet, because there are no names/words that properly rhyme with carpet. Essentially pointless legislation.

McM:
He hasn't banned anyone for that yet, because there are no names/words that properly rhyme with carpet.
I'm surprised at the level of ignorance (even the feigned ignorance of enablers) with regard to 'rhyme'. Does anyone listen to music or read poetry (rhetorical)? Off the top of my head: Scarlet, market, harlot, armpit, garnet, starlet, and Charlotte (a very possible nation name) all rhyme with carpet. :eyeroll:

The text of this bill (which rhymes with numb) says rhyme, not pure rhyme. :facepalm:

falapatorius:
McM:
He hasn't banned anyone for that yet, because there are no names/words that properly rhyme with carpet.
I'm surprised at the level of ignorance (even the feigned ignorance of enablers) with regard to 'rhyme'. Does anyone listen to music or read poetry (rhetorical)? Off the top of my head: Scarlet, market, harlot, armpit, garnet, starlet, and Charlotte (a very possible nation name) all rhyme with carpet. :eyeroll:

The text of this bill (which rhymes with numb) says rhyme, not pure rhyme. :facepalm:
Ignorance? :cry: Do you have a napoleon complex?

Flemingovia - I assume you will need to amend the legislation to specify that you mean a pure rhyme, and not gangster rap and words like armpit. Unless you wanted to ban people with nations like Armpit, Scarlet, Market, Harlot, Garnet, Starlet, and Charlotte.

McM:
Ignorance? :cry: Do you have a napoleon complex?
Do you even know what that means? I'm 6 feet, 175 pounds. How about you? You're the one in a position of power... wait.. what's that maxim again? Power corrupts.....

A limerick:

falapatorius said "it is time
To inform Flemingovia about rhyme
He should choose to withdraw
this terrible law
as there are plenty of rhymes with carpet."

Please play this music while reading this post:[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWIE0PX1uXk[/video]

On a more serious note, TNP prides itself on being an open and inclusive community. People who play this game have a choice of nation and forum name. They can easily avoid names that rhyme with carpet.

But spare a thought for extreme Chaliophobics. they have no choice in the matter, and at the moment our lack of provision in law excludes them from participating in this region.

Consider Simon. back in 2003, Simon was making love to a beautiful woman. the love-making got passionate, and Simon found himself lying on the carpet. Her enthusiasm caused extreme friction, and Simon ended up with second degree carpet burns. When the burns had healed, he found himself gripped by Chaliophobia so severe that even the thought of words that rhyme with carpet, such as Marpet and armpit, make him nauseous, panicky and cause him to withdraw into a foetal ball.

Today, Simon is a virtual recluse, unable to participate even in online communities, where the frequency of the word "marpet" causes him acute physical distress.

My friends, cannot Simon find a place here in TNP? can you not find it in your hearts to give Simon, and tens of thousands of Chaliophobics like him, a safe haven in TNP?

I know not this Highway star whereof you speak.

I prefer this:

[video]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfjhpw_william-mcgonagall-tay-bridge-disaster-billy-connolly_creation[/video]

falapatorius:
McM:
I knew all of those words rhymed with carpet. I don't like them either.

Flem:
I know not this Highway star whereof you speak.
I prefer this:
Fair enough Flem, I remember the 5th of November (not a popular remembrance), but I'm a fan of Billy Connolly myself.

Lennart:
I knew all of those words rhymed with carpet. I don't like them either.
I like Harlot..:P :P

Back