How the Flag got Started

I was invited to play NationStates by a friend irl who was a cancer patient at the time. Her nation was Nandemo. She's fine now but she stopped playing the game rather soon after I'd created my first nation.

"Thel D'Ran" almost left The North Pacific in favor of some much smaller region. I hadn't had any contact about the game except from Nandemo in the first four days – and then Magicality contacted me.

She's the reason I found and joined the forum and indirectly responsible for everything else that happened. The first thing I noticed was that TNP did not have some of what I regard as important representations of regions and nations: a map and a flag.

I used my knowledge of vexillology and this site – http://www.vexilologia.es/indices/portadat.htm - to assemble a meaningful symbol for the region and offered it to TNP. I don't recall there being much resistance to it. I'm very pleased to see that it's still in use.

Does anyone have any questions?

Welcome back old timer! Very glad to see you!

And I was honored to preside over the referendum that adopted Thel D'Ran's flag as the official flag of TNP. That law has survived four constitutions and remains the flag!

I remember commenting on your graphics way back then. Don't remember what I said, or what you replied....just remember your threads :P

I had made a few variations on the flag some years later, I'll just post one:

tnpnewflag2.jpg

The other variations were similar, except for one that added black vertical bars centered in the blue on either side.

Westwind:
I remember commenting on your graphics way back then. Don't remember what I said, or what you replied....just remember your threads :P
I don't remember what was said while the image was in development/pending approval either.

Cool variation.

The structure is fairly straight-forward.

The wavy blue and white bands at the bottom are to represent the ocean of the Pacific. This is a fairly standard motif in heraldry for ports and/or naval powers. At the bottom of the waves is a small laurel bow in green. It was never given a specific meaning - but I think it would be reasonable today to let it stand for the history of The North Pacific.

The deep red upper half is probably meant to signify Honour or Regional Patriotism.

The surrounding black and gold star is really just there to make it look better. :)

The "crown of rooks" at the top is actually a mural crown. Traditionally, this is symbolic of the good fortune of a city (or community) and the vigilance in its protection.

There's a banner that weaves in and around the star that I'd always meant to carry a motto. I don't remember if I ever started a "What's the motto?" thread but if I did, there was never consensus.

The banner looked odd without a motto. In the revisions made when the new Legal Code was adopted, it was made a lot less prominent.

Thel D'Ran:
The structure is fairly straight-forward.

The wavy blue and white bands at the bottom are to represent the ocean of the Pacific. This is a fairly standard motif in heraldry for ports and/or naval powers. At the bottom of the waves is a small laurel bow in green. It was never given a specific meaning - but I think it would be reasonable today to let it stand for the history of The North Pacific.

The deep red upper half is probably meant to signify Honour or Regional Patriotism.

The surrounding black and gold star is really just there to make it look better. :)

The "crown of rooks" at the top is actually a mural crown. Traditionally, this is symbolic of the good fortune of a city (or community) and the vigilance in its protection.

There's a banner that weaves in and around the star that I'd always meant to carry a motto. I don't remember if I ever started a "What's the motto?" thread but if I did, there was never consensus.

Grosseschnauzer:
Welcome back old timer! Very glad to see you!

And I was honored to preside over the referendum that adopted Thel D'Ran's flag as the official flag of TNP. That law has survived four constitutions and remains the flag!

One has to respect ten years of heritage celebrated in the Official Flag of The North Pacific. Amazing that it has outlasted four Constitutions and numerous governments in an uninterrupted stint.

>^,,^<
Alunya

Back