Proposed Delegate Requirement

Falconias

TNPer
Consider this legislation not only a partial response to Wee Tiddler's piece about in-game potential delegate rights etc, but in recognition that in today's game, endorsements are harder to come by then usual, and it's extremely inefficient to have to wait for a newly elected delegate to rise from such a small number as Flem had, to the number that the incumbent had; Flem still sits at 59. Miniscule progress and at this point I still cast my doubt that Flem will even become Delegate this term.

As such, I propose this constitutional amendment:

Section 3: Miscellany

1. The Legal Code shall consist of Laws passed by the Regional Assembly and carried over by agreement from previous governing documents.
2. The Constitution and Bill of Rights shall share full, constitutional authority with all the rights and privileges that come with that authority. The Legal Code is second only to the previous in legal force. In case of conflict in wording, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights take precedence. Any and all other regulations and guidelines are lower in authority than the Legal Code unless otherwise specified.
3. All Government bodies are allowed to create rules for its own governance.
4. The Speaker of the Assembly, CLO members, and the Delegate and Vice Delegate shall each be elected to 4-month terms.
5. The members of the Judiciary (including the Chief Justice) shall each be elected to 6-month terms.
6. All elections shall be held on the region's official off-site forum.
7. Candidates for these elected officials must be members of the Assembly for 30 days before nominations begin. (Extra period removed)
8. In addition to the preceding requirement, candidates for the Delegate position must have a World Assembly nation situated in The North Pacific, with an endorsement count at least 50% of the incumbent Delegate's endorsements at time of nomination, and at least 65% of the incumbent's endorsements by the beginning of the voting period.
9. Election of the Speaker of the Assembly, CLO, and Judiciary officials shall require a plurality vote of the Assembly,
10. Election of the Delegate and Vice Delegate shall require a majority of the votes cast by the Assembly.
11. If any elected official should fail to check into their account for two weeks without prior notice, the dual consent of either the Speaker, the Delegate, or the Chief Justice will commence the special election of a replacement. This replacement will fulfill the remainder of the term.

Blue is the proposed resolution, green indicates formatting.

Well Flem could have the endorsements he needs if he endorsed everyone else and sent out TG's. But I believe he is having technical difficulties at the moment that makes that impossible.

Indeed. This bill could be used as an excuse for some endotarting, as people could claim that they were merely gathering enough endorsements to run for delegate.

Indeed. This bill could be used as an excuse for some endotarting, as people could claim that they were merely gathering enough endorsements to run for delegate.
Agreed.

If anything this restriction seems anti-democratic by eliminating the possibility that any citizen could be voted in by their platform and not by who has the highest endo count.

It's not anti-democratic at all. If someone wants to run, they should make the effort to get enough endorsements.

Think of it as a signature requirement. To run for office in Canada, you need the signatures of 1000 people in your riding. In the states you need to win at the convention and have the endorsements of your citizens before you can even run.

There are no provisions for keeping nations from swapping as it stands currently so I fail to see how this would encourage it.

Any WA nation can swap up to the generally agreed upon cap (non-codified at 80% of the Delegate's total I believe currently) if they wish. Having 50% of the Delegate's endorsements is well below the cap so should not be an issue for swappers.

I can see the value in this type of requirement.

Generally speaking, anything that is going to narrow the pool of available candidates is not going to meet with my approval.

Still, it would be better if it included an exception for active-duty NPA.

They aren't excluded but you have got to be kidding me. If they want to run for delegate, they should plan ahead of time and leave the NPA at least a month in advance to try and meet the requirements. NPA members aren't specifically excluded from this; all defenders/raiders are as well. But honestly folks we can't wait around for someone to gather 160 endorsements after an election, that would just take way, way too long.

Just to say off the top of my head, flemingovia and Great Bights Mum were members of the NPA shortly before becoming Delegate.

Also taking a look at top endo count located elsewhere, just how many members are eligible under your system right now? How many are in the RA and are considered friendly?

I can understand the argument over what's easier but that can be used to justify a lot of things that aren't too savory.

I also say this knowing if this passes, I'm suddenly the top candidate for a job I don't particularly want if it's judged on anything BUT my vision for the region.

Under this system 19 nations would be eligable for nomination; Tresville, me, Wee Tiddle, Mr Sniffles, Groovistan, Zemnaya Svoboda, Yaorozu, Impenyer, Ator People, Former English Colony, Ilvsivm II, Namyeknom, Great Bights Mum, Thadmoria, Vaticania Prime, Shoeless Joe, Whereisthatistan, Callistra, De Grande Finlande.

Bolding; RA members, if memory serves, which it usually doesn't.

The current RA member list is posted in the Main RA Forum.

I'm trying to figure out if this proposal solves problems, or creates more problems than it solves.

It's a reasonable enough suggestion, and it doesn't exclude NPA members anymore than they are naturally excluded to begin with.

It's a reasonable enough suggestion, and it doesn't exclude NPA members anymore than they are naturally excluded to begin with.
Well stated.

There's only one issue I can see with my own proposal: that we get another Westwind/Matthuis/etc in the delegacy, and the delegate brings in outside endorsements and endoswaps like crazy; with the current set non-variable endorsement cap, such a strategy could ensure a delegate re-election and little checks on power. A highly unlikely situation but perhaps after this is passed the RA can look into a security clause to ensure this does not happen.

I don't see why that security clause can't be added in here then rather than waiting for it to be passed. IF there's a loophole, it needs to be plugged :ADN:

Govindia, what are you referring to?

One thing that is being overlooked is that the Security Council. Assuming the current package passes, there will be a group that will have endo levels in the 60-85 percent range of the Delegate, and a Vice Delegate above that. That's a different situation that we're used to.

I would suggest, however, that any enactment on this be stated as a recommendation and not a requirement. The preparation to run for Delegate can always be a factor voters can consider in casting their vote in an election.

I think it is best left to the voters and I think placing "recommendations" in the Constitution is a waste of space. But then again I disagree with the whole concept.

I fail to see how this adds to security at all, I fail to see the necessity in limiting the choices of who can run as Delegate, and I also fail to see how this does anything but spark an arms race in endorsements.

Or maybe I need my glasses checked.

I agree that recommendations are a silly thing to put in writing.

As for the arms race, we have an endorsement cap for a reason.

I still strongly support this.

Is there any further preliminary discussion?

If not, then this will move forward to formal discussion in a day or so. Falconias, can you re-post the current text of your proposal so I use the current text for formal discussion?

we could adopt the resolution if we held elections less often. Or, we could only hold snap elections- and then only for the sub delegate offices after a change of delegate. But that would neutralize every anti--rogue anti-invasion provision in the constitution. The candidates would therefore be those who were close in endo count to the delegate.

Given the current state of affairs, delegate elections would have to cease to be scheduled.

Back