NS seems to be dying

Sooo, this is a topic few will want to discuss, but NS is clearly dying off. Not that fast mind you, but its definitely not gonna really bounce back.

I think we might need to start discussing contingencies while there is still enough activity to do so. I'm opening this topic so folks can discuss various options we may have when the big day comes. :lol:

Anyways, my general suggestion is to at some point find a new active game similar to NS and graft our existing structure onto it while keeping a foothold in our NS homeland.

NS has been slowly declining in activity for some time. This topic would have been equally valid a year ago, but we're still here.
The suckitude that was NS2 wasn't the great white hope people thought, either.

However, they'll always be a group of hardcore players who've invested too much time and effort into NS already to leave.

Well, that's why I suggested finding something that will allow existing alliances to move en masse. NS2 looked promising in this respect, but then it turned out it sucked.

Oh, and nobody mention CN. The power structures are way too entrenched in that game for any new players to make much of a difference.

CN is the equivalent of any bollywood movie made in the 60s or 70s.

That aside, we can't be in a feeder-centric mentality. The feeders may be where everyone starts out in, but they're not the sole important regions in NS.

I also just hope this doesn't turn into another neutrality conference where everyone was only concerned with the feeders, and invading some feeders to promote activity <_< :ADN:

The focus should be on trying to attract new people to the game somehow... whether through donations to advertise or otherwise. No matter what you do in-game, new players are going to come at the same, deaccerlerating rate.

The focus should be on trying to attract new people to the game somehow... whether through donations to advertise or otherwise. No matter what you do in-game, new players are going to come at the same, deaccerlerating rate.
That's not a bad idea.

The worst part is that new players are going to go to NS2 without thinking twice. After all, they'll see a newer game and think it's better.

I tried NS2 and don't see what's so great about it. The best part about NS is that there aren't a whole lot of fancy game features. That allows for RP government, like we have here, which has no limits and is really the best part of the game.

I believe there are sufficent nations and players to keep this game active. The problem is that they are scattered in a huge number of regions. We have over 7,000 regions and 90 percent of these regions have less than 10 nations. It would be great if we encourage the more active nations in these small regions to larger, more active regions. This would help maintain activity and hopefully increase retention of players.

I do NOT propose any great war or crusade. We've already been there! Instead I suggest we sent out a number of small, vocal groups to visit smaller regions and post greetings or similar friendly messages. This would be similar to the recent NPA tour. We would provide a reminder or example that there are more active regions in NS. If we are lucky, we will stimulate increased activity in the region we visit. It is also possible that some of the more active native nations will follow our "tour" groups back home.

I welcome any comments or thoughts?

I like it. We'd have to make sure we contacted the regions founder/delegate first to prevent accusations of spamming. I'm sure if we offered to give them a shout in our WFE most would be happy with it.

I believe there are sufficent nations and players to keep this game active. The problem is that they are scattered in a huge number of regions. We have over 7,000 regions and 90 percent of these regions have less than 10 nations. It would be great if we encourage the more active nations in these small regions to larger, more active regions. This would help maintain activity and hopefully increase retention of players.

I do NOT propose any great war or crusade. We've already been there! Instead I suggest we sent out a number of small, vocal groups to visit smaller regions and post greetings or similar friendly messages. This would be similar to the recent NPA tour. We would provide a reminder or example that there are more active regions in NS. If we are lucky, we will stimulate increased activity in the region we visit. It is also possible that some of the more active native nations will follow our "tour" groups back home.

Until I read "...do NOT propose any great war or crusade," I was going to holler something about NT redux.

Big wars happen on their own.

The problem is that we here in TNP just don't have the military resources to do much, as most of our troops have primary allegiance to another region's military, and therefore are typically too busy with those regions.

I also had similar initial views, mostly concerning the risk of "spamming" that this kind of mission would create. The issue (outside of the game-rules spamming) that would come from targetting such regions, either from a diplomatic view or a military view, is whether the few "active" nations in said region would transfer their activity to a more worthwhile cause or whether they would simply lose interest after the loss of their own region.

At recent lookings we rarely have any considerable number more than 500 nations online at any one point. We have to accept that a large majority of these nations are those of us that log into various "puppets" in a cycle, and a large proportion of the remainder are players who are here purely for the "issues" side of tha game (that is non-forum players who log in once a day and dont care/realise about the extended happenings). This still leaves us with a small amount of untapped players, far below the number we were used to anywhere from 3-5 years ago.

I think perhaps it would be more worthwhile to work with user-created regions that are at least somewhat active than to just delete a bunch. There are still people in user regions that care and are interested enough in this game to actively work to prevent its continued demise....

I proposed another means to cope with the downturn last summer (in the summer slump, you know, before the autumn downturn. We're currently in the winter stagnation. Look forward to the springtime fall!)

I proposed another means to cope with the downturn last summer (in the summer slump, you know, before the autumn downturn. We're currently in the winter stagnation. Look forward to the springtime fall!)
Unfortunately, I do not seem to be able to see that. I guess it's closed off to diplomats.

I do have a few ideas of my own, if anyone is willing to listen.

Apologias, must be only viewable to RA members.
Here's the proposal:
OBSERVING MOURNFULLY that rogue crackpot despots no longer wish to invade us, even when their popularity and hygiene are called into question,

NOTING WITH REGRET that this place is about as lively as a bacon sandwich shop in Mecca,

SOLEMNLY DECLARING that we might as well have some fun before NS2 finally kills us,

That the region known as The North Pacific be hereby dismantled and put into storage.

Provisions of this bill

1) Every Regional Assembly member and cabinet minister are hereby required to telegram the NationStates moderation team either;
1 a) Calling their parentage into question.
1 b) Stating 'yo mama so fat' jokes.

2) Every member of the region is required to either follow the provision of article 1) OR risk immediate banjection, without trial.

3) New nations created in The North Pacific will immediately be telegrammed by our esteemed delegate, who will inform them that he 'don't like their types round ere'. This will ensure that they leave immediately.

4) The esteemed delegate is required to enforce articles 2) and 3), or risk a barrage of 'yo mama so fat' jokes himself. Once articles 1) and 2) are fulfilled, the delegate maybe telegram the moderation team with an insult of his choice.

5) The forum URL will henceforth be placed in the control of my Nigerian email business partner, Prince George MTENGE, in lieu of my credit card details. All government post, admin and forum mods shall be immediately abolished.
Why it wasn't followed, despite receiving many AYE votes, is beyond me!

Lay your ideas on us Krullster, the more ideas the better.

As an example of: How many of you are aware of the Azure Alliance? Before Elu and others came up with the idea, I had played around for YEARS with the idea of a Pan-Pacific organisation. The idea of a United Group of Feeders has always been an obsssion of mine, and I've always thought that it would eventually be possible (yes, I'm a closet optimist.)

Each feeder has it's own niche, whether it be role play (TEP), Democracy (TNP), out of Character (TSP) or distributing crotch kicks (TP). And these are just a few of the feeders (mainly cause I can't identify all the niches off the top of my head).
Together, we cover all the possible areas of any NS user region. If we work together, we have access to over 10 thousand (ish) players. Even 5% of that is larger than most User regions. By working together, we can share military, RP, etc.

Now is the time. The naysayers and trouble makers have either left NS or are pottering around elsewhere, thinking they alone can save NS. They are wrong.

We can bring it back by working with our fellow feeders, sharing ideas and activity, showing the rest of NS that we aren't simply a recruiting ground or a puppet dump. We can do it by (maybe) putting our voices forward on the jolt forums and putting our massive WA clout to some actual use. Show those who post only on jolt that there is another way.

Despite this being the 'End of Days' this does not men that opportunities have passed us by. Quite the opposite in fact. I think Kandarin once said that the beauty of NSwas the fact that it was the players themselves that added all the buttons and ideas, not the NS admins. We can do it again. Moaning about it isn't going to get us anywhere, we have to go out and DO something.

Anyway, sorry for that turning into a rather long speech, I've been thinking about it for a while now.

Back