Memoirs

As NS winds down I want to write my memoirs. Given that I'm frankly me I'm surprised at the stuff I've been able to do.

Chapters:

1) Pre-Pacific Career (from October 2004-January 2005)
2) Life in the PRP (January-June 2005)
3) Life in Nasicournia (June 2005-June 2006)
4) Lexi "War" (June-August 2006)
5) Crimson Order (November 2007-April 2008)
6) dicking around and taking over Lazarus (April 2008-current)

Not sure if anyone actually wants to read through them, but I figured I'd start writing/posting them just in case :unsure:

:tb2:

Chapter 1: Beginnings

I first stumbled across Nationstates on a Gamefaqs.com message board; there was a region set up for the Gamefaqs folk and I joined it in October-ish of 2004. Answering issues became dull after a few days so I created more nations and had them all join the United Nations. Upon electing myself delegate I ejected the entire region and had all my UN's deleted. One nation remained (I had forgotten to have it join the UN) and it was John Ashcroft Land.

I can't remember if I knew of the rules regarding multies and so forth; I had only been playing the game for a few days at the time. The game amused me a bit more than I figured it would, though, and I introduced it to some friends at school. We founded our own region and named it "Butt." But Butt was shortlived unfortunately as those friends didn't seem interested in the game like I was.

I then found NSwiki on google I believe and began reading about the finer points of NS history and politics. The DEN specifically interested me - a way to be an ass while remaining within the game rules! Sounds splendid. I arrived at the DEN where a low-level trooper by the name of Leilas (aka Caras Way of the RLA) was a ***** to me (:P) and I quickly moved on after just a handful of invasions.

It was then that I returned to NSwiki (thank you Goobiebaby) to read about stuff and ponder where I'd go next. Francos Spain sounded terribly intruiging so off to Pacifica I went. I'll honestly admit here that it was the best decision JAL has ever made.

Chapter 2: Feederification

I had arrived in the Pacific on January 15, 2005 with the Senate unaware of my prior history. The Pacific, see, was undergoing a period of great evolution and metamorphasis as mere months prior the great Generalissimo Francos Spain abruptly left the region and the game. Mussolandia once explained to me that the NPO was all about being the bad guys and being proud of it, whereas the PRP was about trying to convince the world that we were not the bad guys. This was important especially in regards to the North Pacific.

In the days leading up to my arrival in the PRP, Ivan (then a Senator in the PRP) had taken the nation of Pixiedance off Cathyy's hands, given it back, and posted an explanation on the PRP forums. But days after, he took the nation back and formed the North Pacific Directorate. The PRP (publicly at least) bounced Ivan out of the Senate and (publicly) stayed neutral. Recall that this was really only a half-year after Franco had openly supported Great Bight and even moved into TNP himself to keep the (sorta kinda) ADN-backed "Government-in-Exile" from taking power. The PRP's official policy toward the NPD was thus markedly different from the NPO's policy toward previous "tyrant" delegates.

There's the background. I began my career in the Pacific as a provincial defence secretary under Mussolandia's province, Honorem et Libertas. You have no idea how excited I was to receive that position... in retrospect I was excessively eager to take on piles of busy work. Anyway, there was something of a split within the PRP with respect to the North Pacific situation - the Governors, with whom I was friendly, were skeptical of the Directorate and some even considered Ivan a traitor. Of course, those with actual influence over foreign policy (the Senate) were far more careful to keep their personal opinions of the NPD guarded. We were, however, repremanded for bickering with Ivan on IRC as well as in certain embassies IIRC. It was not until it became clear the ADN-backed Stars of Sky was to be the next delegate that we (the Governors) realized that perhaps we made an oopsies in our skepticism of the Directorate. We would send the Pacific's militia to support Thel over Lungwallabad/SoS but we were overwhelmed militarily.

(to be continued later)

Gracius Maximus never relinquished control of Pixiedance during that 10 day period of "reconcilliation". The Minister used that lull in activity to plan the foundations of the NPD without unnecessary external pressures. His associate in The Pacific and The Meritocracy also used that time to firm up the quiet support that existed and make the moves necessary to keep those bridges from burning outright.

Remember that time all members of the NPA combined to form NationTron to fight evil time travelling dinosaurs invading TNP?

Or that time the famous 2003 glitch temporarily gave every member of the region the power to move objects with their minds?

Or TNP's space program? We're taking this region...to da moon!

Ah, good times.

Bella was Unistrut and Pope Hope working in conjunction and logging in via proxies. Both had UN nations elsewhere at the same time and were thus cheaters. Oh well.

The NPD claimed this from the beginning and The Minister got verified proof much later on when it didn't matter whatsoever.

The posting styles swung heavily between the two which is why most people thought her to be either a collection of players cheating (the truth) or a psychopath (questionable).

Bella was Unistrut and Pope Hope working in conjunction and logging in via proxies. Both had UN nations elsewhere at the same time and were thus cheaters. Oh well.

The NPD claimed this from the beginning and The Minister got verified proof much later on when it didn't matter whatsoever.

The posting styles swung heavily between the two which is why most people thought her to be either a collection of players cheating (the truth) or a psychopath (questionable).
Yeah, I had found that out only a few months ago. It was pretty common knowledge amongst the lower-to-mid-level ADN people that SoS was controlled by multiple people, but we never got any specifics.

I've argued that puppetmaster, update-surfing, etc was not cheating, but there's really no way to defend multies. I can think of a few other instances of multies as well.

Gov, I was hardly active (at times totally gone) from late 2006 through pretty much all of 2007. I had held a few token positions here but did little with them; essentially I was brought back into NS by the Crimson Order stuff in early 2008.

Now as far the rest of Chapter 2 is concerned...

In March of 2005 I was appointed High Judge after winning a Pacific Idol competition. Not sure what the rationale was behind Pacific Idol, but whatever.

In April, we entered Palestine supporting the Great Britain and Ireland lead against the Mighty Pump, the RLA/Ireland lead. We were short about 20 endorsements but it wasn't a bad showing considering who we were up against. ADN, RLA, etc fielded approx. 120 UN's while the Union of Sovereigns and friends fielded 100 or so. But it was the events that followed Palestine that were most fun!

Several ADN folks had found their way to the PRP forum the day after, and some were banned. One of them registered several new accounts and spammed the forums. Talks of the cold war (between ADN and PRP) turning hot were abound; within the Assembly of Governors, which I and various spies had access to, Daedalus (who seemed to be under the delusion that the AoG actually mattered) led a discussion over whether or not to go to war. Those who were perhaps considered war-mongers by the outside, including Musso, Mammo, etc., were actually against a hot war. It boiled down to: where do we attack? Take the Nasicournia or Equilism delegacy, sure, but lose it hours later. Token win. The West Pacific was mentioned briefly as a possibility but they were "friends" or something, or so the AoG was told. There were no good immediate targets, so that discussion went nowhere. Still, I was able to issue a decree from the PRP High Court banning all ADN dual citizens (except for SWATH and TAO, because I liked them) from the region. Nasicournian loggers such as Auk the Great were forced to move out.

In June I, as High Judge, had targeted the disruptive and obnoxious nation of Zelera, who turned out to be an RLA puppet, for trial. Between various events it became clear that I was obviously biased. I was actually never asked to step down; I did that voluntarily without prompting (unless you count being embarassed in front of the entire region as "prompting" :P).

It was then that Unistrut invited me to Nasicournia. I suppose he wanted to see what, if any, intel I could provide on the PRP.

Back