Flemingovia for delegate

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
I am rather surprised that my opponents, who declared their candidacy for delegate a while ago, have not posted a campaign speech yet. Well, to get the ball rolling, here is mine:

My name is Flemingovia, and I am running for delegate.

What can I promise you?

Security

I think it is fair to say that even my harshest critics (and there are one or two) would laugh at the idea that I would go rogue. I think it is fair to say that my loyalty to TNP has never been seriously questioned. Vote for me, and one of the main worries that we always have when we hold delegate elections is not an issue. The region will be secure in my hands.

But let me be candid with you. There may be those in the NS world who have wrongly seen the past few months as pursuing a policy of appeasement, and would see my election as marking a more active and vibrant foreign policy. This would be a misreading of the current situation, but intelligence has never been the strong point of TNP's opponents. If a potential increase in bluster threatening words to the region worries you – vote for my opponents.

Oh, and history shows that when I need to, I can endotart like a demon. Here is an election promise you can hold me to. I WILL endotart every single day of my term, if humanly possible.

Personal activity.

This brings me to another matter. Since I started playing this game at the end of 2003, there have only been a few days when I have not logged in, usually several times a day. I admit it. I am still a NS addict. But, frankly, you need that in a feeder delegate. Without the security of an active delegate, feeders can become vulnerable after only a few days. Before Tresville became delegate, I predicted that his activity might be a problem. Over the holiday period, that proved to be the case. Tres has tried to justify his absences by saying that his predecessor also had periods of inactivity. All I can tell you is that if you elect me delegate, that trend stops, right now.

Conflicts of interest?

As I did last time I was delegate, on taking my oath of office I will step down from the admin team for the duration of my term. I remain resolute in my belief that holding the position of admin and delegate puts too much power in one person's hands. One of the main reasons I am standing in this election rather than any other is because we have an expanded admin team which means I can do this with a clear conscience.

As regards my activities in other regions, I keep a clear separation between the activities of Merited Flemingovia in the Meritocracy, Saint Flemingovia in TWP, Eastern Flemingovia in TEP and Flemingovia here in TNP. That will remain to be the case. As delegate, Flemingovia will pursue the interests of THIS region. Not any other.

Reality

I am not going to promise more than I can deliver. I cannot make TNP a utopia. No one player can do that. We are in a period of declining activity game-wide. We are unlikely to be immune to that trend. However, I will do my best to appoint active ministers, and keep them active. In this, I will lead by example.

Philosophy of government: Community not conflict.

There are those who believe that NS needs conflict for activity. I am not one of them. Although I do not shirk from conflict, I have seen too many of them, and understand that Conflict brings a spike in activity, but not sustained life. To use an analogy, the electric jolt of a defribulator will jolt a heart into activity. But it needs to keep being used, and the current needs to be ever increased to get an effect. The Pacific tried this with show trials, the Empire with threats and wars etc etc etc. In each case, things have flatlined once the jolt stops.

In fact, just as a defribulator leaves a heart weakened, I would argue that conflict leaves a region weakened in the long term. We have seen this graphically illustrated in TNP many times.

Conflict brings a spike in activity, but a region needs the steady heartbeat that is brought about
by community. I am old enough to remember when the OOC section of our forums was the best in Nationstates. So here are a few things I would do to encourage community...

1.build in incentives to post. I would spend time looking at ways to reward activity – perhaps with shiny rewards to be placed in the signature, or even something that could be coded into the forum.
2.Introduce “operation Shear-jashub”*, an operation to contact by e-mail former members of this community who have stopped posting here, and personally invite them back. There are about a thousand of them, so if only a small percentage came back, it would be a huge boost to the forum.
3.Work with the Com Rangers (who I am sure would be willing) to make our RMB one of the most active in Nationstates, including RMB games, quizzes, jokes of the day etc. Also, themed RMB days: Where (for example) every post must contain the name of a US state. This would be promoted in the WFE.

For too long TNP has been talked about in the NS world for all the wrong reasons. We have had a few months of relative stability now – let's build that into a term of activity.

Well, that is not it, but it will do for now. Please question away.

*google it for more information.

As I did last time I was delegate, on taking my oath of office I will step down from the admin team for the duration of my term. I remain resolute in my belief that holding the position of admin and delegate puts too much power in one person's hands. One of the main reasons I am standing in this election rather than any other is because we have an expanded admin team which means I can do this with a clear conscience.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That type of sacrifice is rare.

I will note that Flemingovia is dangerously addicted to NS; so much so that he's often on the forum first thing in the morning. But then, so am I, so I can't really point the finger there.

However, I must say I am disappointed by the fact that he doesn't plan to go rogue. Two normal (potential) TNP delegates in a row?! I believe that's one of the signs of the apocalypse.

I got a couple of questions for you Flem. Actually, more than a couple.

1. Xbox Live and gamers from NS. Thoughts?

2. I nominated you for Most Cuddly, and I say that as a Straight Heterosexual person. Do you accept?

3. What would you do differently than what Cisco did as Delegate?

4. What do you think could be improved upon if you win the Delegacy?

5. What policies do you have with regards to A. Foreign Affairs, B. Role-Playing, C. Defence and the NPA?

6. Creativity Question. You're in a room, that's locked, but don't worry it's not sealed so you won't lose oxygen. You're in a room with Hitler, Stalin, and a chicken. You have a Colt M1911A handgun in front of you, with only 2 .45 ACP rounds, one of which is already chambered. You also have a spoon. What do you do?

7. You have also been nominated for Jedi Master, after I have discussed with Masters Windu, Yoda, and Kenobi. Thoughts?

8. As you know, for [insert reason here which I'll not get into], I am not able to get into #thenorthpacific, or #tnp, even though it's fairly obvious that I have A. not broken any TNP laws, B. am a fairly active member of the RA. As it's been several months, would you allow me to return to both channels?

9. What is the best way to contact you outside the public forums if someone needs to speak to you? IM, PM, IRC query, or any of the above?

10. Are you willing and ready to work with everyone, both whom you like and dislike personally, to get things done in a professional manner?

Yea it's a lot of questions and i'm sorry, but I'm a mood that is sorta like this:

:console: :hug: :bat: :ADN:

I got a couple of questions for you Flem. Actually, more than a couple.

1. Xbox Live and gamers from NS. Thoughts?

I do not understand the question. If you can get onto NS from the xbox, what does the portal matter?

2. I nominated you for Most Cuddly, and I say that as a Straight Heterosexual person. Do you accept?

gratefully. My cuddlyness is famous in the UK.

3. What would you do differently than what Cisco did as Delegate?

in a number of ways Cisco has been a very good delelgate. there are a couple of things I would do differently. First, I would remain active throughout my term of office. Second, I would be more open in international relations - letting people know what diplomatic negotiations we were engaged in at at earlier stage.

4. What do you think could be improved upon if you win the Delegacy?

Activity. Role play. OOC. These seem to be three areas that need work.

5. What policies do you have with regards to A. Foreign Affairs, B. Role-Playing, C. Defence and the NPA?

foreign affairs? Building friendship with like-minded regions, but avoiding entanglements that are not in our best interest. I have no desire to see TNP become a raider region, nor do I believe the "there is no difference between defending and raiding" bullshit. But I do want to see us being more assertive and robust.

What do I mean by robust? I was sickened in the Autumn to find that there were those who felt that they could come on this forum and threaten this region with impunity. Screw that. Robust would mean that if you threaten us, you had better have the balls to back up your threats, because we will not sit back and take it.

6. Creativity Question. You're in a room, that's locked, but don't worry it's not sealed so you won't lose oxygen. You're in a room with Hitler, Stalin, and a chicken. You have a Colt M1911A handgun in front of you, with only 2 .45 ACP rounds, one of which is already chambered. You also have a spoon. What do you do?

I would shoot the chicken, and eat it with the spoon. Hitler is already dead (1945) and so is Stalin (1953) so why waste a bullet on them?

7. You have also been nominated for Jedi Master, after I have discussed with Masters Windu, Yoda, and Kenobi. Thoughts?

Luminous beings we are, not this crude matter.

8. As you know, for [insert reason here which I'll not get into], I am not able to get into #thenorthpacific, or #tnp, even though it's fairly obvious that I have A. not broken any TNP laws, B. am a fairly active member of the RA. As it's been several months, would you allow me to return to both channels?

Not to #tnp. this is a private channel, used by TNP by custom, not by law. The delegatecan no more allow a citizen into that channel that he can allow you into the house of one of the members. However, I can see no reason to exclude you from #thenorthpacific, which is a government channel. However, under IRC rules this would need the permission of the channel owner.

9. What is the best way to contact you outside the public forums if someone needs to speak to you? IM, PM, IRC query, or any of the above?

IRC, e-mail or PM. I check all of them several times a day, most days.

10. Are you willing and ready to work with everyone, both whom you like and dislike personally, to get things done in a professional manner?

There are those I would find it difficult to work with - mainly those who have in recent times lied to us and betrayed our trust. Once trust is broken, it takes time and effort to make amends. That being said, there are those I have fought against who I now consider friends in the game - Thel and Eluvatar spring to mind. NS is a funny old game, and nothing much is certain.

I do, however, find I can work with most people in this game.

I will note that Flemingovia is dangerously addicted to NS; so much so that he's often on the forum first thing in the morning. But then, so am I, so I can't really point the finger there.

However, I must say I am disappointed by the fact that he doesn't plan to go rogue. Two normal (potential) TNP delegates in a row?! I believe that's one of the signs of the apocalypse.
*cough* It would be 3, unless you think I was somehow abnormal :unsure:

Questions!

On Foreign Relations:

Should TNP seek conflict or friendship with various regions, or should we instead embrace appropriate relations with those who seek them?

What kind of forces are most likely, in your opinion, to try to conquer the North Pacific?

On operation Shear-jashub:

Our current Delegate has invited some old-timers back also, but I have noticed that they tend to vanish again shortly. How would you go about preventing that?

On Endorsement Controls:

What level of Endorsements do you believe you would be able to reach?

Given that, what level of endorsements by a known regional member is safe?

What level of endorsements by a relative unknown?

Post Script on Activity

Yeah.... I'm sorry if I started a trend of intermittent absences.

You said that you had no intention of TNP becoming a raider region.

Does this mean that the NPA will have to devote its resources to once again try and stop every twobit invasion by harmless raiders while letting the Imperialist "raiders" get away with Empire building and refounding regions as their trophies?

Basically, I'm asking if we're going to waste our time going after region crashers who leave the region as they found it.

*cough* It would be 3, unless you think I was somehow abnormal :unsure:
Oh yes, erm, typo!
:blush:

A follow up to some of your responses:

I do not understand the question. If you can get onto NS from the xbox, what does the portal matter?

I mean do you support Gamers who play NS playing Xbox Live as well, and do you also partake in such a fun activity, playing games like Gears of War 2, or LEGO Batman, or Rock Band, etc.?

Could you also please address Question 5 again, as you did not touch on Parts B. and C.?

I would shoot the chicken, and eat it with the spoon. Hitler is already dead (1945) and so is Stalin (1953) so why waste a bullet on them?

Well with regard to Question 6, what if Hitler and Stalin were alive again, and you were in that room, with all that I had mentioned earlier.....?

Luminous beings we are, not this crude matter.

on your nomination, you have no thoughts? Accurate, am I?

Not to #tnp. this is a private channel, used by TNP by custom, not by law. The delegatecan no more allow a citizen into that channel that he can allow you into the house of one of the members. However, I can see no reason to exclude you from #thenorthpacific, which is a government channel. However, under IRC rules this would need the permission of the channel owner.

It's publicly advertised on here and on the RMB. How is it a private channel, sir? Secondly, why cannot I return to #tnp? I feel it's been long enough of a wait, and I have as much right as every other TNPer to be in that channel.

With respect to #thenorthpacific, would you call for me to be allowed to return to that channel without any special conditions (i.e., only when business is being discussed and not otherwise)?

IRC, e-mail or PM. I check all of them several times a day, most days.

I believe I've tried to contact you before at times via IRC or PM with usually no response, not even for days at all.....:( :ADN:

On Foreign Relations:

Should TNP seek conflict or friendship with various regions, or should we instead embrace appropriate relations with those who seek them?

friendship, definitely. Conflict if it is forced upon us. As I said in my opening speech, I believe in community, not conflict. I admit I am getting a little jaded about the value of treaties in NS. Relationship, built over IRC conversation and forum posting seems to be the best way to ensure strong and supportive ties with other regions.

What kind of forces are most likely, in your opinion, to try to conquer the North Pacific?

Immature dumbasses who thing that a feeder is their playground and NAtionstates is some sort of "king of the hill" game.

On operation Shear-jashub:

Our current Delegate has invited some old-timers back also, but I have noticed that they tend to vanish again shortly. How would you go about preventing that?

It's a free world, and you cannot stop folks, old or new, from leaving. the important thing is to keep the forum a place where people WANT to post - a good OOC section, roleplay, government discussion that rises above juvenile bickering. Oldtimers find it hard because so many friends have left the game, and they remember a time when the game as a whole was much more active than it is now. That can lead to unfavourable comparisons. We have to show people old and new that TNP is still worth logging in to.

On Endorsement Controls:

What level of Endorsements do you believe you would be able to reach?

200 would be a minimum target.

Given that, what level of endorsements by a known regional member is safe?

"known regional member" is a little broad. That category includes a few people who have gone rogue in the past, supported rogue regimes or who have taken other feeders by force.

What level of endorsements by a relative unknown?

I get twitchy when someone (other than a very trusted person) gets above 50% of the delegate's endos.

That being said, I managed to get through my last term in office without banning or ejecting ANYONE. I did this by personal activity, boundless charisma and charm, and by keeping my own endorsement level at a point where at no point did I feel the region was threatened.

I mean do you support Gamers who play NS playing Xbox Live as well, and do you also partake in such a fun activity, playing games like Gears of War 2, or LEGO Batman, or Rock Band, etc.?

If they have time for it, what's the problem?

Could you also please address Question 5 again, as you did not touch on Parts B. and C.?

Role play: I do not do much roleplay myself, as I see the whole of NS as roleplay. To play a character playing a character messes with my head. But if folks want to roleplay, good on them. I may evenr reopen my Flemingovian Over 18's only sauna parlour if I am elected.

NPA? I like what Khark is doing with it now, and would not look for a major change in policy.

Well with regard to Question 6, what if Hitler and Stalin were alive again, and you were in that room, with all that I had mentioned earlier.....?

that is a silly question. They are definitely dead, and could not come back to life again.

But in order to answer, I need some additional infomation:
1. What breed of chicken?
2. Is it primarily an egg layer, or a broiler bird?
3. Is the chicken, Hitler, or Stalin cross eyed? THIS IS IMPORTANT.
4. If you persist in the absurd notion that Hitler or Stalin are "alive again", are they resurrected, reincarnated or revived. If they are revived, do they smell?
5. With what is the room locked? Yale? Padlock?
6. What is the PRECISE distance of this room from Neasden?
7. Do I have a cellphone? If the answer is "yes", please go to questions 8 and 9. If the answer is "no", please skip to question 10.
8. How good is the reception in the locked room?
9. Do i know the number of a good locksmith?
10. Is Hitler, Stalin, the chicken or myself chained by the ankle next to a dirty toilet, with a hacksaw blade nearby?
11. Do Hitler, Stalin or the chicken know how to play poker?
12. Do we have a deck of cards?
13. Why is the chicken looking at me in a funny, fowlerotic way?
14. Do any of the bullets have my name on it.
15. Are you sure it is my name? It isn't "hitler" written in a funny way?
16. How far is Neasden from this locked room.
17 If the answer to question 16 is different to the answer to question 6, is the room on the back of a speeding truck?
18. Are "hitler" and "Stalin" the actual, you know, mass murderers, or just some innocent guys whose parents had an odd sense of humour and named them after the famous ones.
19. Can I shoot straight? Even after lots of beer?
20. Is there beer in the room?
21 In an essay of 1500 words or more, describe the room, with reference to the works of Hemmingway, especially "The Old Man and the Sea"

on your nomination, you have no thoughts? Accurate, am I?

Yes? No? These are only illusions in what we call 'life'.

It's (#tnp) publicly advertised on here and on the RMB. How is it a private channel, sir?

Easily.

Secondly, why cannot I return to #tnp?

Because the channel owner says not.

I feel it's been long enough of a wait, and I have as much right as every other TNPer to be in that channel.

You do have the same rights. That is to say, you have no "right", since #tnp is not covered by any TNP law.

With respect to #thenorthpacific, would you call for me to be allowed to return to that channel without any special conditions (i.e., only when business is being discussed and not otherwise)?

Yes, but the response would be up to the owner of that channel.

I believe I've tried to contact you before at times via IRC or PM with usually no response, not even for days at all.....

Maybe because I already knew the question, and you already knew the answer.

You said that you had no intention of TNP becoming a raider region.

Does this mean that the NPA will have to devote its resources to once again try and stop every twobit invasion by harmless raiders while letting the Imperialist "raiders" get away with Empire building and refounding regions as their trophies?

Basically, I'm asking if we're going to waste our time going after region crashers who leave the region as they found it.

Sorry, missed this one.

Nope. I have no aims for the NPA to become a defender force such as you describe. But I do see us seriously considering those who ask us for help, and responding actively when called upon. one of the exciting things about the game today is that you do not need to command an army of dozens (or hundreds) to make a real difference in the game.

I want the message to be out there: TNP is a good region to have as a friend ... and a bad one to have as an enemy.

Most of my questions revolve around the NPA as well, or related topics.

How assertive do you feel the region should be in Foreign and Military Affairs? What kind of requests for assistance would you respond to? Would you be willing to use the NPA in an aggressive capacity against our opponents? Even if they haven't explicitly attacked us yet? (Of course, this is assuming there's a useful target for the NPA to attack, which may or may not be the case)

What are your thoughts on the Azure Alliance, and what role should TNP have in it, and what impact should the AA have on TNP's policy?

How assertive do you feel the region should be in Foreign and Military Affairs? What kind of requests for assistance would you respond to? Would you be willing to use the NPA in an aggressive capacity against our opponents? Even if they haven't explicitly attacked us yet? (Of course, this is assuming there's a useful target for the NPA to attack, which may or may not be the case)

What are your thoughts on the Azure Alliance, and what role should TNP have in it, and what impact should the AA have on TNP's policy?

I like that word "assertive". It is a shade above "passive" but lower than "aggressive". I believe we should respond to appeals for assistance on a case-by-case basis, but I would be more likely to respond if the region or government calling for help already had friendly relations with us.

Would I use the NPA forcefully against a declared opponent? Absolutely. What is the point in having an army if people think it will not be used? Do you think Biyah would have threatened us as he did if he felt that we would retaliate? However, I would not like to see the the NPA used to attack regions that had done us no wrong or to start conflicts from scratch.

The AA has a great deal of potential, which it has not realised yet. I would like to see it grow to embrace more feeders, particularly. TEP and TWP (should they want to join) should be able to come into it's embrace. I think feeders, in particular, have most to gain from such a mutual defence treaty.

As far is the AA should impact TNP, it is a prime example of an alliance that should be actively honoured, should the occasion arise.

Our biggest problem is that we are talking here in the abstract: For months the NPA has had a handful of inactive members. I would LOVE to see the NPA grow to a point when these policy questions mattered much in the "real" NS world. I applaud recent efforts to bring new life into the NPA, and hope that it would continue and grow under my delegacy.

As it is now, any conversation with an aggressor would go like this:

Aggressor: Yah boo sucks, the NP are stinky pants and we are going to take you over, cos we are the Empominion, and we are well harder than you.

TNP: Sir, how dare you threaten us? Come back when you are potty trained, or we will trounce you.

Aggressor: yeah? You and whose army?

TNP: Ah. Got us there.

Aggressor: yeah? You and whose army?

TNP: Ah. Got us there.
Hey, we have an army. Granted, its only half a dozen people, and their activity is questionable, but we still have one! <_<

But yeah, it'll be good to have a delegate who is as concerned with rebuilding the Army as I am. :lol: :clap:

Back