Amendment to the Legal Code

HEM

TNPer
Changing;

7. Candidates for these elected officials must be members of the Assembly for 30 days before nominations begin.

To;

7. Candidates for Delegate and Vice Delegate only must be members of the Assembly for 30 days immediately previous to the nomination period

Changed as per debate

Aye I agree, but this means that people who have contributed in the past back into the fold.

Now, me all aside. Many if they come back and want to help out in this "darker" day of nationstates and the north pacific, are met with restrictions and are not allowed to run, especially in a region where elections are not often, might be turned off.

And every region needs to fight for members, this actually means that someone had to have served two months previously, hence only real past contributers can come back, not those who simply come back for power.

Until we have a election law that allows anyone to calculate in advance the actual first day of a 30-day period, a 60-day period, or a one-week period in the election cycle, the problems isn't going to be resolved, and isn';t goping to go away.

If we can have a election law that complies with the constitution and the bill ofirghts on the one hand and fills in the legal gaps on the other, then a lot of these problems would go away.

It's enough to want to bring back the election code we use under the last Constitution. At least the rules were clearly spelled out and we didn't have these problems.

While I sympathize with you and others, I think the law is a good one for keeping the infiltrators out, or at least making their job harder.

I'll probably be ABSTAINing on this one.

I think there's been an appalling lack of agreement on election laws, and very little will to get something done by a number of parties.

Heft, I see where you are coming from and I disagree with the idea of "second class Assemblypeople" as much as anyone.

But this is a feeder, and we make sure especially when it comes to the delegate we are electing someone trustworthy. Frankly, I would be supportive of JUST restrictions to running for Delegate and Vice Delegate.

Fair enough. You still need to define explicitly 30 days of or from what, though. I guess total, though then that supposes that we can have precise, accurate records of all past and present RA members.

30 days of what? Infinitiy? This poses a potential security risk that a Mack Truck could be driven through.

The open-ended nature of this language could see a last second candidacy of a potential and undetected security risk. The idea behind the residency requirement prior to nominations was to give the members of the RA a chance to evaluate a little known candidate in advance of an election cycle.

Having this provision mean a much more vague period would impose a extremely burdensome recordkeeping requirement concerning RA membership that I suspect would be difficult to meet. It's hard enough to assure continuity of eligibility to be in the RA in terms of having a designated nation located within the region at NS and to meet the activity requirement; this as currently written would require daily recordkeeping to assure a lifeling 30 day residency requirement.

Erm...What are you saying? This legislation simply gets rid of the time requirement for lower offices.

Erm...What are you saying? This legislation simply gets rid of the time requirement for lower offices.
Not as currently written it doesn't. It gets rid of any such requirements for offices other than Del/ViceDel (simple enough), but it also changes the requirement for Del/ViceDel from 30 days before nominations begin to total.

Better, but (and I think this is what Grosse has been bringing up a few times now), I'm not sure there is a clearly defined "election period", so that language would have its own pitfalls as well.

I've been counting the number of days within the RA as the date at which they applied. I don`t think it`s fair to count the days spent waiting for me to finish their file or wrangle admins, if people think otherwise I do have dates on actual admittance also. So far this is unofficial policy subject to change with another Speaker, if people strongly disagree with this method then it should be codified, if not here then a separate amendment, bill, or court challenge.

I have physically counted these acts so they may count as "an action" for those concerned.

Back