Request for ruling

Haor Chall

The Power of the Dark Side
TNP Nation
Haor Chall
7. Candidates for these elected officials must be members of the Assembly for 30 days before nominations begin.
We need clarification on this matter. Is it 30 days as RA within your time in TNP or 30 days directly before nominations begin.

This may also have a bearing on how we use the "suspended RA Mask."

Thread.

I think we're all going to agree on what the correct ruling should be on this...

30 days directly efore the election, yes. Though, is this meant to replace that law or just add to it? I assumed the first, but I can't find anything about getting rid of the current law. If that does come nto effect before the election and is taken as replacing the current law, then the 30 day thing is gone and irrelevant.

It wouldn't replace it as there isn't anything there to indicate it is replacing or amending any existing part of the legal code.

The precedent set in the most recent Delegate election was to allow the collective time in the RA to overrule immediate time in the event the latter did not meet the 30 day requirement.

Tresville was accepted by the RA as a candidate without an immediately preceding 30 days within the RA because of his vast time in the RA at prior intervals.

Likewise, the nation of Gracius Maximus was not in the RA a full 30 days immediately prior to the Justice elections but was accepted via RA resolution because of previous time served.

I believe personally that the wishes of the RA should supercede our own in all matters where it can be easily reviewed and looked upon for guidance and is not in direct contradiction to the law.

Since the law isn't clear at present and the precedent has been set by the RA on at least two separate occasions I would suggest we conclude that the 30 day requirement be for a collective period of time, not necessarily an immediately prior period of time.

Thoughts or disagreement?

No other thoughts on this? Are the positions put forth above your final official opinions on the matter? If so then the Court will need to issue a ruling of 2 to 1 in favor of the 30 day restriction being those days immediately prior to the election cycle.

I would ask that both of you either collaborate on one statement of conclusion, with myself posting a dissenting opinion, or each right a concluding statement supporting the approved decision.

If your opinion has changed based on my arguement then I would ask that you state as much so that we can provide the citizenry with a timely ruling either way.

The Election Commission will work in accordance with whatever ruling is rendered.

Apologies for not responding earlier.

I wouldn't be particularly keen for the fiasco at the last election to act as a precedent- and IIRC a revote at which point Tresville had been back in the RA for 30 days. You were added to the vote by the Speaker, not an RA resolution, though the RA (obviously) did vote you in, if that's what you meant.

Personally I disagree with your position so it's down to Heft. ;)

I believe he already voiced support for your position so I will assume at present that that is what we will be going with.

If you would like to present the decision that is fine. The decision will immediately disqualify at least one candidate so I will not post a dissenting opinion as I will be posting a statement of support as the EC and removing the candidate in question.

Therefore, if you wish to state the decision as simply being supported by the Court instead of as a 2-1 majority that is fine with me.

The original language could be justified either way, but I think it's clear that the original intention behind it was 30 days directly prior, not cumulative. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing someone do away with that requirement but it is there and I don't think that the extra-judicial RA votes from last time serve as a strong precedent. If anything, they're just a precedent that the RA can overrule the constitution.

So, yes, I still vote for 30 days directly prior. If HC wishes to present the decision then that's fine, if you'd like me to then let me know and I'll write something up quickly.

Back