Thel D'ran as minister of Culture and Education

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
I have appointed Thel D'ran to fill the vacancy for Minister of Culture and Education.

This requires a ratification by registered voters. Threrfore please vote to ratify, yea or nay, in this thread.

This thread will remain open for seven days, closing at 8am (gmt) Thursday 9th March.

Thel will serve as acting minister while this vote is taking place.

Hersfold Edit:

According to current MoIIA records, there are 59 registered voters at this time, so 30 votes are needed for a majority (defined as 50%+1).

Abstain.

I can't argue against his suitability for the office, however, not only has Thel D'Ran not publicly acknowledged this appointment, he hasn't visited this forum in nearly three weeks. Should circumstances change, I would be willing to change my vote.

Hersfold Edit: This ballot cast by RA member Blackshear, and is to be accepted regardless of the fact that this account no longer holds RV status.

I don't think we will get 30 votes if none of the RV's were notified.

I suggested Thel as MOCE because its mainly a public service job....he already does the map...and I promised to help him with it by combining the Flagmaking thread with it and rejuvinating the wire. Also, I was hoping to get more of our history and players mapped, flagged recognized and noted. Regions have thrived due to a strong history and participation by its citizens.

Is it possible to get an extension on the vote? I'll pm the RV's myself once that is given.

Actually, you do bring up a good point, Tres. I screwed up when I posted the majority thing - that was assuming all RV's (now RA members) voted, which is obviously not the case. A majority would be >50% of those ballots cast, since there is no quorum requirement.

So the unofficial total (since it hasn't yet been offically closed) is that the aye's have it.

3) Where a vacancy occurs in any Cabinet Ministry and no Deputy for that Minister is then installed in office, the Prime Minister shall appoint a Deputy Minister who is qualified to serve as a Cabinet Minister, subject to a confirmation referendum of the Regional Assembly. In that instance, the appointee shall serve as Minister on an acting basis until the referendum election is completed. If confirmed as a result of the referendum, that appointee shall thereupon assume the position of Minister and Cabinet member for the interim until the next election for that office. A vote of the Regional Assembly is required to approve a motion for confirmation of such an appointment by the Prime Minister. If, after seven days, a quorum of the Regional Assembly has participated and at least 50 per cent of those voting approve of the motion to confirm the appointment, the appointee shall remain in office to serve on an interim basis until the next election. If the motion for confirmation fails to receive such approval, then the appointee is not confirmed to serve as that Cabinet Minister, and the Prime Minister shall promptly propose another nominee for Deputy Minister, who shall act then as minister, subject to approval of a motion for confirmation in a referendum by the Regional Assembly.

This is what the pertinent paragraph of the Constitution (Article III Section 5) now provides with respect to the motion to confirm. There is a procedural problem as I see it -- this motion to confirm should have been supervised by the Speaker, and the quorum requirement applies.

In the past I have argued that it is appropriate for the respobsible officials overseeing an election or a referendum to communicate with all persons who are eligible to vote concerning the fact that an election or a referendum is ongoing. When I served as Minister of Justice (when that office exercised the duties now placed with the Speaker) I always posted notices, and usually sent private messages to all voters to remind them to vote. I'm not sure myself whether the current motion was validly placed to a vote (since the Prime Minister and not the Speaker opened the voting). It is clear, though, that the voting period is limited to seven days and that a quorum is required.

Sounds like this is a matter for Byardkuria to deal with...since he is the only current member of the Court.

Abstain.

I can't argue against his suitability for the office, however, not only has Thel D'Ran not publicly acknowledged this appointment, he hasn't visited this forum in nearly three weeks. Should circumstances change, I would be willing to change my vote.
Abstain.

For much the same reasons. I acknoledge that Thel is one of the most committed players in the region, but I question his job qualification for the aforementioned reasons

Actually, I'm not sure you two (Nova and AlHoma) are eligible. This referendum started before you were approved as RA members, and if it runs in a similar fashion to our General Elections, you votes must be thrown out.

I'll check on it in just a second.

Hers, there's a second issue that is unique to this particular situation.

The merger amendment was ratified and implemented since this voting thread was opened, and any registered voters who were not in the regional assembly became members of the regional assembly under that merger.

I'm not sure myself whether this meant that the voting had to start over or what, and that is one reason why I suggested a judicial review request be filed with the Court.

Hers, there's a second issue that is unique to this particular situation.

The merger amendment was ratified and implemented since this voting thread was opened, and any registered voters who were not in the regional assembly became members of the regional assembly under that merger.

I'm not sure myself whether this meant that the voting had to start over or what, and that is one reason why I suggested a judicial review request be filed with the Court.

But isn't this vote amongst RV's? In which case that makes no difference?

This thread will remain open for seven days, closing at 8am (gmt) Thursday 9th March.
Looks at calendar.
Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing.

As Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs, I'm supposed to be commissioner for the General Elections - since this is directly related to that, I don't really see how this would be any different.

Now, then. As Schnauzer pointed out, a quorum of 20 RA members is required for this election. If we consider this election closed at the time at which it was announced it would be, we have 18 ballots cast (including Blackshear's abstention). This is not enough to consider this a passed motion. However, a request was made to extend the vote. Since nothing further was made on this motion, and I can find no reference in the Constitution allowing such an extention, permission for this is denied.

Furthermore, and probably most importantly, no record can be found of Thel D'Ran's authorization of Registered Voter status - he did not post in the public verification topic made by Minister Deikura, so there are no records of his nations on file. As his status was not verified when I took office, I must keep to my word and nullify any RV or RA status he may have gained to that point. Thel D'Ran is therefore stripped of any membership within the Regional Assembly, and is therefore ineligible for nomination to any government position. This referendum is therefore declared null and void as of this time.

I request that the Prime Minister locate another candidate for this office so that the position may be filled as quickly as possible.

[/official crap] I apologize to everyone that this was not brought up sooner - Thel's lack of RV/RA status was a complete oversight on my part. For some reason, he has been issued an RA mask upon registering on this forum, but yet no public record could be found of his verification. I can only assume it was privately sent to Minister Deikura, if it was even sent at all. I do believe that Minister Deikura stripped RV status from anyone who did not verify with her, and in any case I did the same when I took office. Since I had taken my records from Deikura's public verification, Thel was not placed on the list, even though he still held the RV mask on the forums. This was entirely my fault, and I apologize for the huge delay. I will work with Flem to try and get someone into this post as quickly as we possibly can.

Thats it...Your Fired!! Just Kidding.

Good job...a mistake is only a mistake if you fail to correct it.

Is it possible for Thel to regester to become an RV and then do the vote again? That is if he is still interested and the offer from Flem is still on the table.

I'll contact Thel to let em know anyway.

To be completely honest, I've already tried contacting him. On March 7th, I tried sending him multiple messages via e-mail and through various forums to try and get his records updated before the referendum closed. I figured he must have registered at some point, and he apparently thought he was still registered when he agreed to this (although I still haven't seen any sign that he's aware of it), so I might as well try to give him a chance. Unfortunately, 11 days is a bit too much, and from what I can tell, he has logged into his nation (if not any of the forums) since that point. So I figure, to heck with it all.

At this point, Thel would have to register immediately to be able to get the position. We've taken far too long with this, and need to get someone in NOW.

I hope next time around that Flem submits the nomination to Wizard so that the regional assembly vote is supervised through the Speaker -- which is what the provisiion in Article III Section 5 intended.

I may have to seek adoption of a regional assembly rule that directs the use of notices being posted in the forum and PMs to all regional assembly members of matters being voted on when they commence, so as to make sure we maximize voting participation, I'm not sure that a lot of thise who are eligible to vote even knew that Thel's nomination was at vote.

Back