-
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
TNP Nation
Bobberino
Discord
Bobberino#6969
What it says on the tin.

I recently took up chess and I’ve made it everyone else’s problem. So let’s make this a thing. We can even call this the TNP Chess Club if we want.

Talk here about openings, post your games, post puzzles, tactics, chess content, whatever your heart desires.

En passant is forced, I will not hear any counterarguments.

i will only respect the ruy lopez
I enjoy playing the Ruy Lopez. It has a lot of quite interesting variations. It deviates early, however, so it takes a lot of study, particularly for a beginner, to wield it properly, in my opinion.

Here's a correspondence game that was played yesterday between @Bobberino and me.

22-05-23_RobesVsBob.gif

According to the computer, I played this game with 80.2% accuracy. This was my first time using the Leningrad opening -- which is a variation of the Dutch Defense -- and I must say that I found it to be a useful weapon. Naturally, I'll need more practice with it. But, upon further analysis, it looks like I only made one inaccuracy and only blundered once per Chess.com's analysis. The blunder in question, however, did not result in me losing a pawn or being forked as it easily could've.

The inaccuracy stems from me playing queen to e8 when pawn to c6 would've supposedly been better. While I'm not entirely sure that I agree with that assessment, it was a fun game nonetheless! Bob and I are currently playing another correspondence game, our third overall, and we have a 1-1 record against one another thus far.

EDIT: For those wondering, the result of this game was a resignation by White (Bob) on move 18. I was previously down 0-1 in our series, but this game tied things up between us.

Last edited:
Alright, I'll read public opinion. The TNP Chess Club is open. Come one come all, I might build a little cafe in the corner.

There's a boba shop a mile down the road from where I live. I walk down there periodically, buy something and sit in the corner playing chess. It's fantastic.

Sign me up! I've got accounts on both lichess and chess.com, both under the username ElFijiGrande. My ELO is about 900, which is to say I suck. I've played since I was quite young, and have a moderate intuition on midgame and am familiar with most endgames. However, I haven't memorized any opening lines, and that's held me back for a while. Moreover, I've played a lot of 3|2 time control bullet games which I've found has actually made my play worse over time.

Sign me up! I've got accounts on both lichess and chess.com, both under the username ElFijiGrande. My ELO is about 900, which is to say I suck. I've played since I was quite young, and have a moderate intuition on midgame and am familiar with most endgames. However, I haven't memorized any opening lines, and that's held me back for a while. Moreover, I've played a lot of 3|2 time control bullet games which I've found has actually made my play worse over time.

Welcome welcome. I'd be lying if I didn't say, well... same.

My username is Scorch16 on chess.com. Blitz elo of 907 and rapid elo of 1361.
Bobberino69420 on Chess.com, Bobberino on lichess.

Here's another correspondence game that @Bobberino and I played immediately following this game.

24-05-23_RobesVsBob.gif

The result was another resignation by Black (Bob), this time on move 23. That makes our series 2-1 now after three correspondence games played between us.

I started with a queen's pawn opening and developed it into something resembling the King's Indian Attack. With a fianchettoed bishop by move 4, I was feeling pretty comfortable. Where my comfort started to be tested, however, was when Bob quickly went up a pawn and threatened my rook on f1. Later on, having pawns tripled up along the b2, b3, and b4 files wasn't ideal either. Luckily, I was able to thwart my opponent's stacked rooks on d7 and d8 by the middle-to-end game and secure victory.

Meanwhile, @El Fiji Grande and I played a series of three the other day too and I got absolutely thrashed in those games. But let's just ignore that for the time being... :P

Good games are being had here all around!

EDIT: Grammar

Last edited:
I'm definitely in on this one, given I'm a higher rating than most individuals on this forum. May I join this silly club?

Here's one of my old games, one brilliant move. (Oh, and I'm Black in this position, apologies for not saying who I was.)

bUNaUmd2NVpmQTBTYnMhVGxCWVFjTTdZZWdYSEF0MlVkbDNWTXU5MnVEU0tCS1JLdktaS2x1VU1EdzghcEZURXVsTUZ3Rkt2b3ZZcA,,.gif

Account Name: Lemsrow
Above Game's Link: 53752748455

Last edited:
I'm definitely in on this one, given I'm a higher rating than most individuals on this forum. May I join this silly club?

Here's one of my old games, one brilliant move. (Oh, and I'm Black in this position, apologies for not saying who I was.)

bUNaUmd2NVpmQTBTYnMhVGxCWVFjTTdZZWdYSEF0MlVkbDNWTXU5MnVEU0tCS1JLdktaS2x1VU1EdzghcEZURXVsTUZ3Rkt2b3ZZcA,,.gif

Account Name: Lemsrow
Above Game's Link: 53752748455

Welcome to our silly club. Nice game!

Welcome to our silly club. Nice game!
Wish I could post more games, but sadly the day after the post, the ol' laptop had some issues, so I'm confined to a backup phone for the time being. Though I'll try to send a game today.

Finally got into my Chess.com account's more fine games. This is one of 'em.

bUMwS2d2NVFmQTFUYnM5SWx0ITBlZ1FHQXJHcmlyOCFjdUl1bnVUTHZLWlJLQUxDZjk3OXRDNlNzSjBKQ0pTTGRCTGtBbDkxYWYxVXVDV0dCQWtybHJHeXJsVU1BWU1sWTEhPzE5NDlmOQ,,.gif

I am White in this position, and pretty standard with the Italian back then. Later on, I achieved 2 Brilliant moves and 1 Great move in quick succession.

Also earning 1 Great move before the dominoes came down.

B having blundered a Bishop after jailing it with the move e4, then blunders with the move a5 (unsure of the idea behind but is a blunder.), Qc4 is played and rated as a great move, Bxb3 played in what I am assuming is a desperado, Nxb3 because free material, a4 to kick the knight back, Nd2 with the idea to move the knight to d4, Qg5 threatening to capture the knight, however...

Qxc7 is a brilliant move! Why? B is unable to take the knight because of Qf7+ forcing the King back to h8 and then Qf8+, considered a brilliant move as it forces checkmate with a Queen sacrifice. B falls for the idea and takes the Knight, ending the game in my favor.

... 21. Qc4!, Bxb3
22. Nxb3, a4
Nd2, Qg5
24. Qxc7!!, Qxd2?
25. Qf7+!, Kh8
26. Qf8+!!, Rxf8
27. R1xf8#, 1-0

Fantastic game back then.

Last edited:
After our successful first interregional tournament, The North Pacific and The West Pacific will be holding the 2nd TWP & TNP Interregional Chess Arena starting October 29, 2023 6:00 PM and invite everyone to join!

It will feature three hours of 5+3 chess at Lichess, but with a different touch in comparison to the previous edition. The first half of the event will have standard chess and the second half will have the Horde variant! In this variant one player uses the normal pieces while the other uses a horde of pawns, and it was chosen not only to add a fun twist but also as a nod to NationStates' Z-Day event.

More information here: https://lichess.org/variant/horde

You need to have a Lichess account in order to join, so sign up if you don't have one. Then click to join the tournaments, enter the password written below and prepare for the event!

Standard chess arena: https://lichess.org/tournament/3FOm1aLy
Horde chess arena: https://lichess.org/tournament/5cAR7aZj
Password (all lowercase) for both arenas: northwest

I will make a banner,if you do not mind

Back