-
Pronouns
He/Him
TNP Nation
United States of Dictators
Discord
cayyus
The Delegate:
I note that his current term expires on 6/6/23, and appoint Sil Dorsett to another term as election commissioner.

@Sil Dorsett has been appointed to serve as an Election Commissioner by Delegate @Gorundu. I now open the floor for debate and discussion on the nomination. I would welcome a statement in support of the nomination from @Gorundu.

Should the appointment go to a vote, I intend to put the following motion before the Regional Assembly:
Motion:
The Regional Assembly, acting on the nomination of the delegate, appoints Sil Dorsett to the Election Commission.

Allow me to increase the difficulty level for me to be reappointed a bit. It sounds like I'm being stupid, but I feel that's secondary to whether I'm being honest.

I fully expect the Regional Assembly to challenge me on why I was previously indicted on Gross Misconduct charges before the charges were withdrawn. So, to preempt all that, I'll say the following:

I made an error in judgement when I was approached about the results of the May General Election being inaccurate. In my haste to try to work out what to do about it, I simply responded to Discord DMs, and then asked further questions and made further comments in DMs. I should not have done this. I should have pointed everyone involved to the forum and started the conversation there. Though that was ultimately done, that was only after Dreadton's reminder of the rules.

As Dreadton put it, I was ready to fall on my sword for this mistake and leave the Election Commission. But, I think I can take the lessons learned from this to keep the Election Commission on the right path, to keep it transparent. So, I don't ask the RA for its support. Instead, I ask the RA for a second chance.

Sil is a very experienced and talented Election Commissioner and is one of the best we have ever had. I support their reappointment.

Notwithstanding the self-admitted error in judgment, Sil is good and is as dedicated a public servant as any other.

I'm absolutely willing to give them the chance they're asking for, and I suggest that my fellow citizens here in the RA do the same. Full support for the Delegate's appointment in this instance

Hello, Sil, good to see that you intend to keep running for the Commission, not in spite of what happened, but because you seek to learn from your mistake. I fully intend to vote for you and believe you'll do wonderfully as always. I hope, however, that you'll forgive me for having some further questions.
Instead, I ask the RA for a second chance.
I noticed that you've declared your intentions for running for Chief Election Commissioner again. While I expect your reasoning for doing so is similar to your reason for sticking with the Commission at all, the Chief necessarily has more responsibilities than other Commissioners. Could you justify your intent for running for Chief Election Commissioner to the RA after what happened?

Hello, Sil, good to see that you intend to keep running for the Commission, not in spite of what happened, but because you seek to learn from your mistake. I fully intend to vote for you and believe you'll do wonderfully as always. I hope, however, that you'll forgive me for having some further questions.

I noticed that you've declared your intentions for running for Chief Election Commissioner again. While I expect your reasoning for doing so is similar to your reason for sticking with the Commission at all, the Chief necessarily has more responsibilities than other Commissioners. Could you justify your intent for running for Chief Election Commissioner to the RA after what happened?
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Darc! The reason I made decided to offer to continue on as CEC is two-fold. One, and primarily, having my mistakes brought to light brings an opportunity to demonstrate that I have learned from them by being in position to enforce the rules, driving the debate in the proper places. Secondly and secondarily, as you stated, the CEC carries more responsibilities than other commissioners, and given that I've held the position for a long time, I wanted to ensure that EC would have a CEC should the others decide the role isn't for them. I encourage the other commissioners to step up, but I don't want them to feel like they have to because I decided to step down.

@Sil Dorsett you have nothing to be ashamed of. We all faced a tricky question and wanted to proceed in the best way possible. You conducted yourself admirably and professionally and people can count on you to do this job and do it well. I share the delegate’s confidence in you and hope everyone else sees fit to keep you on. I know with your leadership we’ll find a solution to the present problem and solve in the future too.

Sil has always been someone who conducts themselves with the highest levels of integrity, and I believe they would be the most capable person to lead the Election Commission in implementing necessary reforms to improve the conduct of elections. The recent controversy in the Election Commission involved many parties, and I don't think Sil, or really anyone, should be blamed for how it ended up unfolding.

Back