TNP Nation
Magecastle_Embassy_Building_A5
Discord
red_canine
ga.jpg

Star Gazing Day
Category: Environmental | Area of Effect: All Businesses - Mild
Proposed by: Namwenia, Co-authored by: Dixionconderoga | Onsite Topic

Recognizing light pollution as the presence of unwanted, inappropriate, or excessive artificial lighting directly resulting from most modern, industrialized societies;

Acknowledging that excessive light pollution minimizes the visibility of celestial objects such as neighboring planets, moons, or stars;

Noting that gazing into the night sky is an ancient tradition from time immemorial universally acknowledged by nearly all sapient cultures;

Therefore, the following shall be enacted:
1. The date following the approval of this proposal, as determined by the calendars widely accepted in each member state, shall henceforth be known as Star Gazing Day.

2. The World Assembly urges member states to minimize artificial light usage, except wherever necessary, beginning at sundown on Star Gazing Day.

3. The World Assembly further encourages sapient citizens of individual member states to take time during the evening on Star Gazing Day to look out into the night sky and enjoy the splendor of the heavens.

4. If there are existing national or local holidays that occur concurrently with the date selected for Star Gazing Day in individual member states, the World Assembly encourages member states' celebration of the spirit of Star Gazing Day on a separate, nearby date.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited:
This is exactly the sort of thing that the actual UN does. I love it. Although the proposal has very little actual effect, not every piece of legislation needs to change the world, some can just be fun commemorative days. The proposal has no downsides or glaring flaws, so all that it does is act a positive cultural change. Particularly considering that this is a newer author, I am strongly for this.

@Comfed The proposal isn’t illegal for optionality. Clauses 2 and 3 are sufficient for a proposal of mild strength.

Author & former TNPer here to say "Hi." I appreciate the optimism in listing this as "Approaching Quorum" with 0 approvals @Magecastle

The idea behind this came from another new author who had posted a one line "Star Viewing Day" proposal. I thought it was a nice idea, reached out to them, and this was born of that conversation. Yes, it is a very mild, day set aside for awareness.

Not all proposals need to be major, multiverse-wide, or sweeping legislation. Smaller ones like this are good too sometimes, I think...they said biasedly.

Author & former TNPer here to say "Hi." I appreciate the optimism in listing this as "Approaching Quorum" with 0 approvals @Magecastle

Hi

Against. Surely this is illegal for being optional.

SL rules it legal and I think it technically is, based on article 1. A member state is required to (as a minimum, I guess) issue a proclamation of a Star Gazing Day, so I guess it satisfies the barest minimum. Of course that proclamation can be buried in page 39784 of the gazette published on the day after the Oscars or whatever.

Last edited:
I’m against this proposal. What if a nation doesn’t get a pollute related issue? They can’t change how much pollution they have if all of their issues isn’t pollute related.

I wholeheartedly agree with the author’s view and I appreciate whimsy in these proposals. Unfortunately, I cannot support this at this time.

Against

Someone still has to convince me about why this is necessary tho - it is basically an advisory to supposedly create awareness on light pollution. But is there a true impact on raising awareness? IRL, Earth Day existed since 1970, but the impacts of the Earth Day - has it been huge? Was the changes in awareness due to Earth Day, or due to other environmental campaigns and government intervention in particular? Against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back