[Asheron] Song of the True North

North Timistania

RolePlay Moderator
-
Prologue

The prophets of the true north teach that man has endured two great deluges since the world began, the first of water sent to wash our sinful earth clean and the second in a fire to burn away our transgressions. In truth, no one knows how exactly it happened, fragmented texts and preserved stories speak of a war between great nations, of cities reduced to dust, and of duels fought by godlike machines in the darkness of the void. No one knows how it happened, whether it was divine punishment or man's own hubris, what we do know is how the old world ended, in the beginning, there was light, and then came darkness.

The north was scoured clean by the horror of the flash, those not sequestered in caves or bunkers were erased from the world's face, only ash remaining to prove they had ever existed at all. when the flash subsided the true horrors began, the black rain, the wrath of the ocean and sky, and the onset of a winter shrouded in darkness. Death stalked the land and hunger gnawed at the bellies of any that remained, those few crazed souls that emerged into the nightmare of a broken earth did so blinded by the flash and maddened by starvation.

The cannibal was born in sin, trading his humanity for sustenance, they spread across the darkened earth, eating, multiplying, and eating again, locusts come to taint the fields of man. For a time these degenerate creatures ruled over the north, a fallen kingdom of bones and cackling ghouls, but though the spirit of man slept, it had not perished from the earth. in the embrace of the soil, the pure seed of adam waited, in the iron womb of bunkers and catacombs the true heirs of mankind bided their time and awaited the moment they would rise anew.

Decades passed and the earth began to heal, the sun rose anew and the storms began to clear, mankind emerged from the stygian depths and like a newborn, took its first tentative steps into a world it had forgotten. For a time the children of Caine continued their terror, they feasted on the pure and the guilty alike, their raids leaving a memory of horrors that would endure for centuries. This too would come to pass, a new power was stirring in the frozen north.

Sequestered in an ancient military vault a remnant of old America stirred from its long torpor, the descendants of a secret facility now poised to strike. In the last days of the war, a secret installation had been established deep in the Alaskan tundra, Castle Rock, part military fortress and part doomsday bunker, it had been intended to preserve the war effort, instead, it had allowed a fragment of old America to endure. The children of the Castlerock survivors had been molded by a militaristic culture, trained from birth to be the ultimate warriors of the frozen wastes. led by Colonel Ingrid Haley, they revealed themselves, determined to reclaim the world and unite the scattered remnants of Alaska. They called themselves pathfinders.

Gathering a ragtag alliance of survivalists, zealots, and refugees, Haley led a long campaign against the cannibals that had infested the ruins of the north. For years a bloody war was prosecuted to wrest back control of what was rightfully mankind, the children of Caine responding with vicious reprisals. In the end, the cannibals were defeated, and their fortress of old anchorage was seized and claimed for the benefit of humanity once more, the battle of anchorage ended with the birth of a nation and the ascendency of Haley.

We cleared the ruins, bones, and detritus cast aside, Colonel Haley, now President of the northern confederacy, commanded her people to settle and build anew. over time ruins gave way to dwellings of wood and stone and from anchorage a great trader's way spread out across the wastes, settlements rising as society clawed its way back from the precipice. Haley died a saint, revered by the cult of the true north and adored by the nation she had founded.

The Pathfinders would keep vigil over their new nation, hunting its enemies and protecting its citizens, their sacrifices ensuring the survival of the confederacy for generations. Today Anchorage is the jewel of the north, a thriving capital holding authority over countless satellite settlements. But the world is far from tamed, the children of Caine still stalk the darkness, preying on the innocent and the tales from the south grow more troubling with each passing day, danger lurks on the horizon. The Pathfinders stand ready to face any danger, the old world oath remains true "Find the way or Make One!"

Reactions: Arc
The Far North

130 years after the Battle of Anchorage

“Abhor the cannibal for it was once human but chose to pollute its soul by partaking of the flesh of Adam, strike them down as both punishment and mercy”

-Gospel of the True North from the book of Gerald

He is grinning ear to ear as he stumbles into the stark daylight, smoke flowing up behind him from the cave he calls home. The smell is repugnant and even from my distant vantage point, I must force myself to remain focused. He is middle-aged, his face is ruddy from the burning cold and his few remaining teeth are cracked and blackened, he is like a feral dog on two legs, a mane of unkempt and greasy blonde hair covers his chin and brow and two crazed blue eyes regard the world with a mix of confusion and predatory hunger.

There is an intimacy to the sniper, through that glass lens they see their targets life unfold, I've already watched the fool below eat, sleep, and piss for a whole day now. He is a sorry-looking thing, ragged furs covering his endlessly twitching frame, he can barely hold the rusting spear that is his weapon so great are the tremors. He laughs with the involuntary mania of one deep into the sickness and he stumbles about as though his very body is wearing down from within.

I squeeze off a shot and the space where his skull had been evaporates in a gory mist, brain matter, and bone shards flash freezing as they coat the ground below. I feel no shame, to be truthful this is a mercy, the cannibal tribes would simply have butchered him for more meat when he became completely useless. The cycle is endless, we kill them in the hundreds but all it takes to create a new horde is desperation and lack of food and here in the far north both issues are never lacking.

I'm not a philosopher, of course, I leave that to the plump fops back in anchorage, those portly scholars that debate the new world over ice wine and candied elk meat. I don’t begrudge them their role of course but nor do I seek it, I'm a pathfinder, sworn to keep our new society safe, I kill and hunt so that our homes remain safe and so that the luxury of civilization might endure.

“One less cannibal Horace,” I say nonchalantly into the radio

“Yeah, but you did miss his friend” Horace replies, I can almost see that shit-eating grin

Another shot rings out in the cold morning air, somewhere down the track leading to the cave a body falls. The dead cannibals partner returning from the hunt, through the scope I make out the fallen corpse, disheveled furs topped with an improvised pack. red leaks through the dirty fabric and I am certain it is not the slain cannibal's blood.

“Miss? No just left it for you, can't have all the fun” I say with a chuckle

Been tracking these two for days now, the rumors of missing Travellers had all led us to these two, and if we are lucky that problem will end with them. We break cover, the feeling of blood rushing back to numb limbs is at once jarring and a relief. Horace falls in behind me as we leave the concealment of the tree line and head for the cave.

“Can't wait to get back to Anchorage, a warm bed and actual food would be nice” Horace mutters as we crest the hill

Horace is a curious soul, wiry and short, his winter coat and boots always seem too big for his slight frame. He has a thin tail of dirty brown hair that he keeps tied in a knot and a painter's mustache adorns his face, perhaps in an effort to make him seem less weedy. I have no idea how he came to the Pathfinders, the unsubstantiated rumor being that he was a small-time crook, not that he’d ever confirm or deny it.

“Pemmican and snow water too good for you now?” I tease him in mock outrage

“Hey now, don’t get me wrong, pissing in a bottle and capping degenerates is all well and good, but it's nice to enjoy the benefits of the society we protect occasionally”

He’s got me there, running water, electricity, and high walls, we have taken the ruin of the old world and upon it built something new. But a Pathfinder is the spear point keeping that fragile world going and to grow too used to comfort is to allow that killing edge to grow dull, we spend too much time amongst the pleasures of the settlement at our own peril.

We are now standing at the mouth of the cave; the headless body of the cannibal watchman is now beginning to freeze as a thin layer of frost starts to envelop the dead flesh. The inside of their makeshift home is the stuff of nightmares, walls splattered with gore and viscera and a pile of cracked bones and skulls lining the back of their shelter, the marrow has already been sucked clean from the limbs and the flesh picked clean as though carrion birds had been present.

“Homely” Horace mutters bleakly

Two pallets adorned with filthy blankets mark the place the two monsters slept and I prefer not to describe the corner of the cave where they did their business. Once we’ve seen enough, we turn to leave, the airship will be waiting for our signal and there's nothing good to be had in this vile den. We turn to leave and a cry fills the air, it sounds like a wounded animal, or the wailing of a newborn.

“It's coming from the other corpse,” Horace says matter-factly as he draws his pistol

We move toward the body, half expecting to see some terrible beast or a wounded cannibal in need of euthanizing, instead, we find a corpse and more wailing. It's muffled and coming from the cannibal's backpack. I reach down and pull back the filthy covering, and behold a bloody infant wailing at the top of its lungs.

“God's bones!” Horace hisses in shock as he holsters his pistol

I reach in and pick up the child, unprepared as we are we still know the cold will kill this newborn if it isn't sheltered quickly. We swaddle it in as many blankets as he can retrieve from our packs and then we bring it back into the cave, it’s the only choice, vile as it is. The fire is still burning, though Horace does us all a Favour and tips the vile contents on the snow outside.

“Little bird, this is snow fox, we need urgent extraction, two degenerates euthanized and one newborn in need of evac” I call into the radio hoping to God that the signal hasn’t faded

“Confirmed, we are inbound, place signal and advise coordinates” a voice that might as well be from the angels above replies over crackling static

We give them our bearings and pop a flare, then as we huddle in the dank horror of the cannibal den, we wait for salvation.

Back