Magecastle_Embassy_Building_A5
Discord
red_canine
sc.jpg

Declaration in Regard to Hippopotami
Category: Declaration | Type: Declare
Proposed by: Jutsa | Onsite Topic

The World Assembly,

Aware that the sizes of animal species do not differ considerably from each other in terms of the universal scale,

Also aware that the size of an animal in reality can be quite different depending on an individual's perception,

And believing that some nations' governments might be rendered senselessly flabbergasted by the assertion of certain species' sizes by an international legislative body despite said governments already having legislation regarding said species regardless of whether they reside in said nations' territories,

Hereby,
1. Reminds this organization's member-states that although Security Council Resolution #361, also called the "Declaration On Hippopotamuses", exists at the time of this resolution's passing, there is still room for more extant WA legislation regarding hippopotamuses (herein also referred to as "hippos" or "hippopotami");

2. Affirms that no true hippo is larger than life, especially that of the Pygmy Hippopotamus, and in fact is quite small in comparison to most things in life, such as mountains, planets, the universe, most battleships, or political egos;

3. Notes that hippos may be very friendly, particularly when they are young, a point in which they are consequently small even by most individuals' standards;

4. Informs all of this organization's member nations that, with a known minimum length of less than 5 feet, and a minimum weight of under 440.0 pounds, Hippos are not necessarily very large.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited:
Overview
A resubmission of a previously-defeated resolution of the same name, this proposal seeks to "correct the record" about hippopotami and their being "larger than life". To do this, the author highlights the case of the pygmy hippopotamus which, while quite large, is not necessarily as large as the original "Declaration on Hippopotamuses" made all hippopotami out to be. Thus, the author declares that "Hippos are not necessarily very large."

Recommendation
While a cute joke at first, and something we perhaps could have supported as a stand-alone, we do not find this to be a good use of the World Assembly's time. Far from being a prescient in-joke that preserves one of the funnier parts of the World Assembly's lore, this proposal wastes four days to engage in what is essentially a correction of the record, and one which was already shot down by the World Assembly in the past. Hippos may be very large by our human standards, but our patience for resolutions about them is not.

For the above reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against the Security Council Resolution at vote, "Declaration In Regard To Hippopotami".

Last edited:
(Non-WA) I don’t see how or why Jutsa is discredited. Could someone enlighten me on this? Regardless, I am against the proposal. The original UN resolution was funny precisely because of how unexpected it would be for an international body to make a declaration about the size of the hippopotamus. The GA resolution was in tribute to that UN one, but it also introduced new textual jokes, and it was generally funnier. This new SC declaration does not add anything to what was stated in the two existent resolutions, and any of the unexpectedness or originality of commenting on the hippopotamus has been lost.

(Non-WA) I don’t see how or why Jutsa is discredited. Could someone enlighten me on this? Regardless, I am against the proposal. The original UN resolution was funny precisely because of how unexpected it would be for an international body to make a declaration about the size of the hippopotamus. The GA resolution was in tribute to that UN one, but it also introduced new textual jokes, and it was generally funnier. This new SC declaration does not add anything to what was stated in the two existent resolutions, and any of the unexpectedness or originality of commenting on the hippopotamus has been lost.
So true. As far as my saying the author is discredited - in my personal view, they have shown themselves to be interested in tackling intentionally obtuse and controversial resolutions intended to irritate and annoy people. The style and outlook the author has could be used in a more constructive and even fun way, but they seem to delight in directing those efforts in the most annoying, trolling way possible. I cannot enjoy their whimsy or their style because they employ it in dubious and disruptive ways, and that seems to be their aim more than writing a cute or clever resolution. This is a bad faith approach, in my opinion, and discredits this author in my eyes.

The Declare category was a terrible idea. Kinda wish NS would just remove it.
It’s a great idea. It’s been poorly utilized by our community, partly because so many of them don’t understand it or how to utilize it, and so much bad use has caused many to tire of them entirely. We ought to be picky and vote down the worst and lift up the best.

The Declare category was a terrible idea. Kinda wish NS would just remove it.

It's useful for some things. On the Technical forum gameside Sedgistan didn't rule out the idea of moving GA resolutions without operative clauses to SC. So this could change soon.

Against. I am broadly in agreement with Kenmoria that the hippos jokes are overdone. I personally would TG Jutsa and suggest that the NS GI humor does not translate well to NS SC.

Against. This is painfully unfunny

The NS Got Issues? Forum has to take in young kids because of the NationStates for Educators initiative, so they end up with very lame, family friendly jokes using simple words that they can present to young kids. I have had to find really "kids friendly" punchlines to get through NSGI.

NS Forums is PG-13 and of course the Diogenes Club is R-18. That's different.

So you end up with jokes on NSGI like the one I said to Nutmeg The Squirrel: "what did one squirrel say to another on Valentine's Day? I'm nuts about you!"

It's a taste thing. I don't think Jutsa is a bad person but the jokes are going to fall flat, fast.

Last edited:
Against

While this certainly may be a proposal that animal lovers enjoy, it can still be argued that even local organizations can state these facts about hippopotamuses. Overall, there is no reason why such facts should be declared at the international level, let alone by such a discredited author.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back