Craviter Economic Association

Nation Name: Prydania
Admit Arcanstotska to the CEA? < AYE >

"And with that, a quorum has been reached. It is now in order to call for nominations for the post of First Secretary. All nominations will be accepted at this time. Before I yield my time, the chair would like to nominate the representative from Prydania."

Teddy Thrane nodded.
"Thank you First Secretary. I accept the nomination."

"My congratulations to First Secretary Thane." Puja promptly chimed in. "With the unanimous confidence of this body behind his election, I believe the future will be bright for the Association under his leadership. I think I speak for all of us, as well, in giving my deepest gratitudes to now-former First Secretary Monteil for her service."

The Republic of Montendría would like to request admission into the Craviter Economic Association's commerce, infrastructure and migration communities.

Vernier looked up and leaned into the mic, speaking in a noticeable Santonian accent.

"I have some concerns regarding the economic situation in Montendría. Montendría has recently sold vast swathes of its oil reserves to foreign companies and even government sources in Malor-Kanada, Syrixia and I think even Aydin? with the hopes of encouraging economic growth and providing jobs, selling such vast resources to foreign elements does not strike me as a sensible and economically responsible thing to do. In some ways, such deals even strike me as predatory. It raises my question, what is the economic situation of the Republic of Montendría? That Montendría finds such measures necessary?"

"Mr. Vernier, petroleum is an industry in decline which holds little to no long-term benefit for Montendría and the diversification of the economy is needed to pave a stable future. Montendría has sold parts of the PetróMont Company, a government-linked conglomerate, to provide the funds necessary for national endeavors such as the construction of new infrastructure and the investment of funds into various industries like entertainment and other service-based sectors to foster further economic development outside of the energy industry. The Government of Montendría believes that entry into the Craviter Economic Association would be beneficial for the economies involved as this opportunity would create a new consumer market to sell to." Junípero Diaz cleared his throat, responding.

Last edited:
From the office of Paul Levitch:
January 10, 2022

In the wake of the groundbreaking revelation of Syrixian election tampering in their 2021 election, an attitude which has existed among the international community for some time has been soundly confirmed. It is now more obvious than ever that Syrixia has been a detrimental actor and an opponent to democracy in Craviter. Starting with their tampering in the elections occurring in Alemriche, and now with the attempts of their government to restrict an opposition party from assuming power, any Craviterian who calls themself an ally of democracy must not allow Syrixia to continue unencumbered. Therefore, it is the opinion of the Callisean Directorate, and thus the people of Callise at large, that the government of Syrixia ought be brought to heel and made to answer for its crimes. Therefore, we formally file the following grievances against the Syrixian Government.

1) For tampering in the elections of Alemriche, a sovereign, democratic country which has every right to self-determination.
2) For tampering in their domestic elections to pervert the will of the people of Syrixia.

We would like these items to be discussed and voted upon separately. Following the ratification of one grievance, Syrixia shall be subject to sanctions. The ratification of an additional grievance shall result in the six month suspension of Syrixia from all communities to conclude exactly 180 days following the certification of the vote. We thank the CEA for its time and ask that justice be done.

Sincerely,
Paul Levitch
Director of State for the Republic of Callise

10 January 2022

Teddy Thrane read out the communique from Callisean Director of State that was presented to him by the Callisean delegation. He had known this was coming. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and even the ÖSU had been sending him documents about the Syrixian situation. And of course Prime Minister Svane's statement on the matter that had been released when the Syrixian government first curtailed the counting of votes. He opened that up and read it through again. He was, of course, the First Secretary of the CEA but he was also a representative of the Prydanian government.

3tgbrMG.png
xDNQo94.png

Skrifstofu Forsætisráðherra | Konungsríki Prydansk
Office of the Prime Minister | Kingdom of Prydania

In light of recent events in Syrixia I feel compelled, as the democratically elected Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Prydania, to speak on the importance of freedom, the sacredness of democratic institutions, and the dangers of tyranny.

In our country those that craved power conspired to attain it at the expense of our democratic institutions.
King Anders III and Stefan Toft did not nakedly do so. Instead they couched their actions in languages designed to normalize the erosion of the democratic order.
What is happening in Syrixia is frighteningly similar. Claims of the need for "maintenance," "accurate vote tallies," and to investigate "abnormalities" turn peoples' justified fears on the integrity of the democratic process against themselves. What the Syrixian government is engaged in is nothing short of an attempt to run from an unfavourable election result and overturn the will of the people.

In my country we fought, bleed, and died for our freedom. Such loss, however, is not in vain if we strive to build a better world for ourselves. To take the painful lessons of the past to heart so we never repeat them. This applies to the world, as much as it does to the Prydanian Realm. His Majesty's Government cannot in good conscious sit by an allow such a disregard for the rule of law democratic norms to occur without action.

I, on behalf of His Majesty's Government, fully condemn the actions of the Syrixian government and have instructed the cabinet to explore options for the sanctioning of the Syrixian Empire and to move for Syrixia's suspension from the Craviter Economic Association until such time as the rule of law is restored and the democratic will of the people is validated.

MUEVLwt.png

Kjell Svane
Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Prydania

There it was. The Prime Minister wanted it, and Prydanian sanctioned against Syrixia had been passed when it revealed that no evidence of fraud or other irregularities had been found in the vote counting or storage.

Now he just had to balance that, and the clear aim of his government, with his duties here.

"The Republic of Callise delegation, as well as the delegation from my country, the Kingdom of Prydania, have both put forward calls that this body, representing the economic partnership of our continents, act regarding the Syrixian government's dangerous attempt at subverting democracy. I have here..." he said, pulling out a bound report depicting the coat of arms of the State of Iraelia, "a Mercanti-language report on how no irregularities or fraud were found, compiled by the State of Iraelia acting as an independent third party investigator. I also have this..." he pulled out a bound report, "from the Prydanian ÖSU that details Syrixian electoral interference in the Kingdom of Alemriche."

"Prydania stands for the sacredness of democratic traditions, and my government finds itself compelled to support the Callisean calls for CEA sanctions and temporary suspension from all three communities. As First Secretary of the CEA I am now opening the floor to delegations from other member states who wish to speak for or against the proposed courses of action."

Ustin Fomichyov, Arcanstotska’s representative in the CEA, rose to speak.

“Esteemed friends, partners in Craviter. Democracy is a common ideal among the peoples of the world, sacred in the pages of many a national creed and constitution. Some nations achieve democracy through compromise and concession—such as when a sovereign surrenders some, most, or even all of his or her actionable, effectual authority to a civil institution. Other nations, my own included, achieved democracy through the often violent overthrow of those who seek to bring humanity to heel.

“Human beings are complex creatures. We have dreams, loves, fears, ideas, convictions, hopes for the future and so much more. Democracy, at its root core being governance by the people, is a complicated system of debate and concession, and compromise. This is often manifested as a frustrating process of passionate controversy. Democracy is, thereby, dare I say, the worst form of government that humanity has ever created—except for each and every other government system our species has tried. Democracy is a fickle, sometimes infuriating thing and, in a democracy, you can never be guaranteed everything you want. But, I believe, and this is a belief shared by my nation since the mid-19th century, that democracy is the only system of government that is capable of understanding people as people.

“According to the principles of democracy, a nation ought to be ruled, first and foremost, by those peoples who call it home. This is in polar contrast to that of dictatorship—in which the human being can never be anything above some mere lemming, needing direction and obedience to authority.

“I’m sure all of you, my respected fellow representatives, are familiar with a particular stereotype regarding the people of my country; that we Arcanstotskans, so arrogantly assured of the superiority of our system of government, can never keep quiet about the supposed inherent superiority of republican democracy over monarchy—even constitutional monarchy. Well, allow me to put that stereotype to rest.”

He took a sip from a glass of water before he continued.

“The Kingdom of Alemriche, from a historical perspective, is the Arcanstotskan Republic’s oldest friend. During the Revolution of 1848 and the war that spawned from it, Alemrichers and Arcanstotskans fought together against the Norsians and Mintorians and thus secured the very beginning of Arcanstotskan democracy. During the Fascist Wars, as Eras was engulfed in flames as tyrants sought to stomp the world beneath their jackboots, Alemrichers and Arcanstotskans fought side-by-side in defense of homeland, family, and democracy against the Mintorian Covenant regime. Arcanstotska, its liberties, its institutions, its democracy, and its republic, to a significant extent, owe their birth and continued existence to this friendship between the Arcanstotskan Republic and the Kingdom of Alemriche.

“In 2020, a mere two years ago, the democratic elections in Alemriche were shifted through the efforts of a force that ought to have no authority in the realm of Alemricher democracy: the Syrixian Empire.

“Syrixian efforts to alter the results of the Alemricher 2020 elections have been watched and documented. Intelligence efforts on behalf of the Syrixian imperial government to install a candidate leashed to the whims of Pataliputra are the very definition of infringement upon the sovereignty of nations and democratic institutions. But what was even more shocking in the end, at least to me, has been the Syrixian imperial government’s blatant attempts to destroy their own democracy.

“I could only ever describe it for what it is: the Syrixian imperial government was afraid of not getting everything it wanted—and so, rather than demonstrate maturity and respect democratic institutions, it instead elected to selfishly and rather childishly throw Syrixian democracy out of a window so it could have all that it wanted.

“In my country, we like to say that anyone can stand adversity; but if you really want to test a person’s character, then you give them power and watch what they do with it. The government of the Syrixian Empire has demonstrated, on the basis of its actions within its own country, that it is lacking in good character. A nation with such a lack of good character cannot and should not be trusted to act in good faith on the international stage. Democracy is a sacred institution the world over, and the Syrixian Empire has shown its selfish glee in disregarding it.
“Therefore, the Arcanstotskan Republic will support the measures proposed by the Republic of Callise. Thank you.”

Last edited:
Vargen watched as the opening verdicts all cried out for Syrixia's damnation, the sum total of that wayward powers greed and avarice now spilling over onto the continent proper. It felt good to be back in the saddle again, so to speak, his gaffe during the Rayvostokan incident had forced his recall and given him a long pause to consider the danger of works taken out of context, it was a mistake the young hureg had no intention of making twice. Standing in the same spot his father and king had both stood he spoke the words his nation had bade him speak.

"The United Clans know all too well the virtue of freedom, we treasure our Ziu-given right to speak our minds and to know the minds of others in their turn, the Syrixian government would do well to take heed of the consequences of their attempt to stifle those freedoms has created. They talk of harmony and order, but all I see is a nation whose rulers have forgotten their place, they sit in their golden halls and plot and scheme with no regard for the freemen who put them there. I am a representative of a poor nation, my people cannot boast great cities or immense wealth and yet I count our freedoms as greater in value than the entirety of the Syrixian treasury. Therefore in keeping with the mandate set by my king, I announce to you all that Essalanea will support this proposal of sanction, let the Syrixian government be reminded that the will of their people is to be ignored at their own hazard"

Code:
[b]Issue[/b]: Suspend Syrixia From All Three CEA Communities for a Period of Six Months
[b]Country[/b]:
[b]Vote[/b]: <Yay> <Nay> <Abstain>

Issue: Suspend Syrixia From All Three CEA Communities for a Period of Six Months
Vote: <Yay>

Issue: Suspend Syrixia From All Three CEA Communities for a Period of Six Months

Vote: Yay

Vote: <Abstain>

Last edited:

Country
: Korova
Vote: <Abstain>

post made on behalf of Korova by Moderation

"With eight Yays, five Abstentions, and no Nays, the Yays carry it," Teddy Thrane announced.
"Syrixia is hereby sanctioned and excluded from all CEA economic communities for a period of six months."

OOC Note: Please not that this all takes place in January 2022, shortly after the Iraelian report that confirmed that Syrixian government authorities had no justification to stop the vote tallying in their election. As such this ban would have been lifted by June 2022.

Back