-
-
-
TNP Nation
sil_dorsett
Discord
sildorsett
Sil Dorsett for Speaker

I thought for sure I'd be campaigning for Reopening Nominations, but with Bobberino entering the Speaker's race, now I'll have to go with maximum effort.

I know compared to Bobberino I'm a little short on experience. I've been Deputy Speaker for only two months, and in a sense I'm still learning the job. I've only counted one vote, but at least I've got citizenship applications down pat, and even caught some interesting anomalies. My focus there will be about accuracy, not necessarily speed. My deputies will be encouraged to utilize the four-eyes principle.

A fresh set of eyes provides fresh ideas and innovations, but the Speaker's job, from what I've seen, is rather straight forward. There's definitely some "innovative" opportunities to pursue though, especially around Standing Procedures, but my focus there will be "How can I make sure the job makes sense?" Common sense is important. For instance, I won't ever schedule a vote to open immediately after the second is given for a non-legislative proposal. I will give citizens plenty of time to object to the scheduling and keep debating. It's important to listen to the Regional Assembly.

St. George published a list of Speakers Office guides originally started by Fregerson, with seven guides left to write. They will be finished by January, though I expect this would be something Bobberino would accomplish as well. These guides will not, however, be the primary source of education for a new deputy. I was a fan of hands-on training under St. George, and I'm the type that enjoys hands-on labs more than reading a book anyways, so the hands-on training will continue. I'd like to keep the staff we already have, but that doesn't mean we're not going to take on new hires. I'll appoint as many deputies as I feel are needed to provide more-than-adequate coverage and handle increasing workloads if necessary.

I would have said a lot of this stuff even if I was asking for RON, but with this race becoming competitive, it's worth the effort. I await your questions. Just be aware that you'll get answers on Monday. I'm pretty booked today.

Last edited:
You so far personally have my vote Sil, but didn't Pallaith want to speed up speaker checks? I was looking through the forums to know what was going on recently and learn some more stuff, but if I'm correct he wanted to speed that process, so wouldn't going for accuracy be detrimental to that?

You so far personally have my vote Sil, but didn't Pallaith want to speed up speaker checks? I was looking through the forums to know what was going on recently and learn some more stuff, but if I'm correct he wanted to speed that process, so wouldn't going for accuracy be detrimental to that?
Pallaith's RA proposal limits the amount of time the Speaker's Office can sit on the app from 14 to 7 days. That proposal isn't really relevant to my vision of improved accuracy. All I want is for those in the office to take their time, fill out all the relevant documentation, and double check everything. If it took someone 15 minutes to do their daily check, all I ask is for them to just take another 5 minutes to make sure they did everything right before they post. I'm not saying to sit on the app for 7 days. It doesn't take that long.

Sil, I haven't known you all that well for a long time because your political career mostly took place before I arrived here. But lately my admiration for you has risen immensely. You treat every office you hold carefully and responsibly, and your attention to detail is clearly something the Speaker's Office has already benefitted from in the short time that you've served there. It's a no brainer to vote for you.

Hi Sil! We haven't really interacted much throughout but I certainly know that you've a person of your own word and definitely reliable. Good luck and all best on this one! :-)

Back