Discord
Dero#2736
ga.jpg

Safe Disposal of Nuclear Waste
Category: Regulation | Area of Effect: Safety
Proposed by: Thousand Branches | Onsite Topic

The World Assembly,

Knowing that many nations rely on nuclear power plants as a source of energy;

Aware that the production of nuclear energy produces radioactive waste that becomes dangerous if not properly disposed of;

Distraught that no such disposal has been previously regulated by the World Assembly;

Hereby enacts as follows:

1. In this resolution:
    • “nuclear waste” is defined as the radioactive solid or liquid wastes resulting from nuclear fission, fusion, refinement, or any other process from which nuclear power is derived.
    • ”radioactive contamination” is defined as the spread of radiation to any habitats, natural reserves, bodies of water, or atmospheres such that it would pose a significant danger to life or the environment.
  2. The Nuclear Energy Safety Commission (NESC) must:
    • Investigate methods of nuclear waste disposal and determine those considered safe by the following guidelines:
      • Disposal methods must have little to no risk of radioactive contamination.
      • Methods must include proper solidification, compaction and subsequent treatment of nuclear materials to prevent leaching of waste or radioactivity.
    • Inspect prospective nuclear waste storage and burial sites to ensure they are geologically stable and at sufficiently lengthy proximity from areas at risk of radioactive contamination.
    • Ensure that decommissioned nuclear reactors are properly dismantled, and any nuclear waste present is removed before said reactors can be demolished.
    • Ensure that domestic transport of radioactive materials provides little to no foreseeable risk of leakage, thievery, or any form of radioactive contamination.
    • Explore safer and more effective methods of nuclear waste disposal, recycling, reuse, and transmutation. Such studies must be publicly disseminated to member states.
  3. Member states must:
    • Only employ methods of safe nuclear disposal as defined by the NESC. Member states may submit reliable scientific research to the NESC to have a method of nuclear disposal be investigated for future safety standards.
    • Ensure that radioactive contamination originating from their nation is reported to any foreign governments that are subject to foreseeable risk of that contamination spreading to or affecting their nation.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited:
Overview

Safe Disposal of Nuclear Waste seeks to reduce or eliminate radioactive contamination that would harm the environment or life by providing mandates to the Nuclear Energy Safety Commission (NESC) and member states.

This proposal charges the NESC with investigating safe disposal methods for nuclear waste. Further subclauses mandate that the NESC ensures all domestic transportation of nuclear waste and decommissioning of reactors is accomplished in a way that minimizes radiological effects on the local environment and populations.

Safe Disposal of Nuclear Waste also requires member nations to alert neighboring states when they are likely to be affected by radioactive contamination originating within their borders.

Recommendation

This proposal does well to define the things it regulates, gives the NESC clear and comprehensive tasks, enforces member nations' compliance to the NESC's guidance, and promotes international cooperation when there is a risk of spillovers.

For the above reasons, The Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting for the proposal.

This voting recommendation was written in collaboration with our World Assembly Legislative League partners.

Last edited:
For. Proper nuclear safety is a concern for all nations and calls for international regulation. My main concern is about exactly what “ensure” in 2c and d extends to (whether it is just inspection, inspection and requiring member states to do things, taking action itself to transport materials, etc) but I think I am open to passing the proposal regardless.

This proposal has received the requisite approvals to enter the formal queue. Barring it being withdrawn or marked illegal, it will proceed to a vote in five hours at Major Update.

For. Proper nuclear safety is a concern for all nations and calls for international regulation. My main concern is about exactly what “ensure” in 2c and d extends to (whether it is just inspection, inspection and requiring member states to do things, taking action itself to transport materials, etc) but I think I am open to passing the proposal regardless.

To elaborate a bit on what I mentioned on Discord, assuming the word "ensure" is as used in tort law in general (a reasonable interpretation), since (2)(c) and (2)(d) both concern member states' own obligations, I think this imposes on member states an obligation to execute those two requirements, which I think is quite stringent. "Ensure" does not mean they have to do it themselves, just that it gets done. (IRL for example, Euratom handles that for every member with nuclear plant waste and that includes the UK as a participating state even though it is no longer a full member).

Last edited:
To elaborate a bit on what I mentioned on Discord, assuming the word "ensure" is as used in tort law in general (a reasonable interpretation), since (2)(c) and (2)(d) both concern member states' own obligations, I think this imposes on member states an obligation to execute those two requirements, which I think is quite stringent. "Ensure" does not mean they have to do it themselves, just that it gets done. (IRL for example, Euratom handles that for every member with nuclear plant waste and that includes the UK as a participating state even though it is no longer a full member).
But 2c and d are obligations of the NESC, the provisions of section 2 are all the NESC’s duties. It does not, however, tell us how should go about meeting them or what powers it has in relation to member states so as to “ensure” the relevant things are done.

But 2c and d are obligations of the NESC, the provisions of section 2 are all the NESC’s duties. It does not, however, tell us how should go about meeting them or what powers it has in relation to member states so as to “ensure” the relevant things are done.
I mean, I suspect this is on the assumption that a responsible government would figure out a way to store its nuclear waste anyway, and not leave it like somewhere next to a children's swimming pool near downtown.

IRL I think the only major nuclear capable country that still hasn't found somewhere to stick their nuclear waste after passing the Nuclear Waste Policy Act of 1982 is the United States. I assume the US Congress will eventually find somewhere to stick it.

Last edited:
I mean, I suspect this is on the assumption that a responsible government would figure out a way to store its nuclear waste anyway, and not leave it like somewhere next to a children's swimming pool near downtown.

IRL I think the only major nuclear capable country that still hasn't found somewhere to stick their nuclear waste after passing the Nuclear Waste Policy Act of 1982 is the United States. I assume the US Congress will eventually find somewhere to stick it.
One would assume so, but then why have the proposal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back