Meterra Economic Treaty Association

"We have a lot to discuss," said Sinjora Kayode. She now wore a simple outfit: a gray cardigan, white blouse and black pleaded skirt. She looked around the room; the Association had grown quite big. They may need another, larger room soon.

"The terrorists on the coast, the felonies in the seas, and the regards of a new applicant. These are all immediate matters, but I suggest we discuss the Wermonian application before we get into the two former - which, as we all are familiar, will be lengthy with polemics."

"I would like for the Wermonians to answer these questions," she sipped her tea as she read the conventional interview questions from the binder.
  1. What would you benefit from the Association?
  2. What would you offer the Association?
  3. How is your willingness to apply META standards and regulations?
  4. How is your willingness to integrate your economy and infrastructure?
  5. How is your willingness to participate in META affairs?
  6. Are there any territory disputes or international controversies involved with your country that you should mention?

Last edited:
  1. What would you benefit from the Association?
  2. What would you offer the Association?
  3. How is your willingness to apply META standards and regulations?
  4. How is your willingness to integrate your economy and infrastructure?
  5. How is your willingness to participate in META affairs?
  6. Are there any territory disputes or international controversies involved with your country that you should mention?

John Canton, the diplomatic speaker, looking around the room, took out his binder, concerning all recent international events attended to, not a lot has been done for the last 5 years except international trade agreements and such. He was training for the last 2 weeks to ace any question possible. He sat up.

"Mhm... Us the Wermonians have been rather in need of international technologies. We wanted to advance and most importantly, connect. I'd say our economy can benefit through international trade and such, and we will improve international relations with the nations of META. We're offering any economic help to anyone who needs it, as well as many of our technological findings. We are willing to follow all standards and regulations as well as help those in need of military funding or research funding. We pledge to allow all people to apply for Visas and Citizenship, as well as allow all religions to exist within our borders, unrestricted, until there is something needing to be said against any. We are willing to help other META nations in need. We are willing to participate as long as we stay in this association. No international controversies or disputes, as for now."

Last edited:
Kayode was tapping the binder with the edge of her onyx pen. "Thank you, Sinjor' Canton, though I'm quite interested—what are your country main exports and imports? What 'technological findings,' as you have alluded to? I, for one, would adore the prospect of a new science powerhouse joining our Association."

John nodded. "We have been exporting some, but not enough, of our own hybrid crops we'd like to call "harnes". They were genetically engineered to replace the need for meat, but it has become very costly for us to maintain, reflecting the price of 20 armons per pound (7 armons per pound of beef), meaning we sold less than we wanted to. Besides that we export coal as a majority. We imported materials needed for technological systems such as copper, copper wires, and more. We also developed a new government-funded project to get the fastest commercial airliner yet. We've been working from Mach 3 to Mach 6, yet we're stuck on 4.4 Mach. We're working on better engines every year. We'll get a 4.7 Mach engines in 8 months, unless we manage to get more tax without angering the public. As we were neutral for many many years, we don't have that much of a good military or military technology. And hope not to attend any conflicts in the near future physically."

Kayode finished writing in her binder. The idea of ‘harnes’ was certainly interesting, especially with the growing concern for the weal of pastures. Their membership would not just mean a bull Wermonian market, not just the stimulation of such a marvel of genetic engineering, but—if it becomes prominently commercialized—META would have this miracle crop at its disposal. World demand would be high. It was an opportunity that shouldn’t slip through Meterra’s fingers.

“Thank you again, Sinjor’ Canton,” Kayode said. “I do find the prospect of ‘harnes’ really engaging, and perhaps a millennial solution to an environmental concern. We would like to hear more about these crops, but for now we must deal with other matters. Though, I can tell you right now, Demescia will be voting aye for your admission with the time comes. Thank you and we hope to see you in the future.”

She flipped her binder to a different page. “Now, we’ll begin discussion the terrorism in Nuevo Antofagosta, as well as the pirates off the bay of Oclusia. I’ll state the obvious: the parasites in the northern sea have got to go, so too the militant revolutionaries in Predice.

“In regards to Predice, we’ve reached an interesting dilemma in terms of our Association’s policy. As you all may know very well, we—as of the original Charter—have a defense clause: in the event that one of us is attacked, we all come to its defense.

“This clause is commonly assumed to apply to international attacks—state against state— but now more than ever it is apparent that there are more to the global stage of intimidation than the threats of states against each other. We now have non–state actors on the scene: terrorists—multinational conglomerates—other associations. Do we respond the same? Do we have the authority to?

“I believe we do. Others,” she looked at Dardanus, “may believe otherwise. I’m more than willing to respond to their arguments and concerns. However, this should be a talking point—and a very crucial one.”

Kayode drank her glass of water, waiting for the others’ responses.

Vicente Robles could be defined as someone stuck in the last century. With a pair of glasses that one could swear they aren't done like that anymore and for good, a beige coat too thick for the warmth outside, although that didn't seem to concern him in the slightest which covered a crimson jumper beneath. He toyed around with a pen close to his mouth, he really wanted to go out and smoke, but he was stuck there. Duty never lets you take a cig when you want.

As the topic of the Predice Crisis was brought up, he listened carefully to the wording used by Kayode. An obsession of his own, since even in such a high stakes, the wrong wording could end up badly. But he behaved, at least, until they finished talking. And then, the scruffy bearded man, spoke up.
"Since nobody is willing to break the ice, I will give myself the pleasure to do so." He jokingly said, with a slight smirk for himself as he addressed the room with a look.

"We all are very much aware on what happened, and of course, we do have our doubts with out actions. As anyone would do after a terrorist attack. But, even if we are a multinational organization, I wouldn't say that this doesn't allow us to act in this case. The main goal of META is simple. To achieve our goals together." His voice hardened to remark the word together, for emphasis and to catch the attention of those who may not be paying as much attention.
"I'm certain if this happened in our homes, we would want our brothers to lend us a hand, to aid us in our time of need. That's the bare minimum that we could ask of someone we know. And, just like in our personal lifes, the problems not only come from outside the confort of our own homes, but from within as well. But we are not here to have a philosophical pondering on this stance, are we?" He paused with a soft chuckle as he took a sip of his glass of water, and then looked around again. "This organisation may not be made of people, but of countries. But what are these made of? Of those who has given us the chance, nay, the obligation to care for them and ensure their well being."

"I say we have to act. For those who have given the trust in us, in this organisation, for those living in our own countries, so that we may even have the security that, may the Providence not want it, if this incident happened again, in our own doorstep, that they will not be left a victim of fate.

When we joined META, it was asked of us to say what this organisation's motto meant for us. Synergy, Integrity, Affinity. These words matter. We have to prove these aren't just a cute saying, but a reality. We should respond the same, and we do have the authority, for the well being of not only the organization, but our members.".

Ben Ghazi had been preoccupied with a number of security issues that had arisen in his new office. "The security was not up to the McMasterdonian standard" or so he had been repeatedly told. Despite this, the Secretary of State had been unable to take his calls. "I hope she doesn't delete those damn emails we sent her" his aide said to him earlier that day. Nonetheless, these concerns could not distract him from his first meeting as the Ambassador to META.

"I thank the Ambassador for raising this issue before META, however I must disagree with the remarks made by His Excellency Vincente Robles. I believe that acting through META directly in this case would be most unwise, while we all are responsible for the handling of terrorism and our own national security, I do not believe it is in the best interests of META to meddle in how this is handled by an individual state or how individual states may collaborate together on international terrorism issues. Likewise, I believe taking collective action against non-state actors is not directly within the mandate of META, and should therefore only be considered on a case by case basis." Mr Ghazi said as he removed his glasses to look out upon the other representatives.

"We should not differentiate between terrorism and so-called 'revolutionaries'. All revolutionaries are terrorists by their very nature. Therefore, with respect to such terrorism, META should not be directly involved in the handling of such matters, particularly if it is perpetrated by non-state actors and is not being utilised in a proxy conflict by a third party state. I believe that is best handled locally and through collaboration of intelligence bodies, rather than direct action on the part of a multilateral organisation such as META. The best course of action is to engage our own respective state apparatuses in such engagement, we will make the sure that the KIA and our defence personnel are willing and able to share relevant intelligence with relevant parties should the need arise."

"I say that META collectively does not have to do anything, because, ultimately at this point, what difference does it make? The situation has already happened, instead we should focus on what is next. Our best course of action is through our individual nations taking direct action against terrorism and revolutionary activity within the bounds of their domestic laws and processes. We strongly believe that this incident or any further such incidents should not give rise to the mutual defence clause or any further dilation of our national sovereignty in favour of this organisation. The more globalist our counter-terrorism policy becomes, the more hamstrung we will be by the overlapping and conflicting processes and domestic laws of each state and the more dilated will the freedoms of our own subjects become. Freedom can only be delivered and achieved through a secure society. The best approach is through direct partnerships and collaborations on a bilateral basis, this will ensure all facets of terrorism are eliminated and order is restored".

The Royal Santonian Ambassador to META, Rachel-Francine Chambault, had been to many of the META meetings already, but it was just now that she decided to speak. She managed to grab the attention of the presider to have the floor.

Ambassador Chambault flung the end of her scarf to her back before leaning forward to her microphone. "Good day, esteemed ambassadors. I am sure we are all familiar with the dual conflagration that has engulfed northern Meterra, our region."

"The Kingdom of Saintonge is currently doing its best to assist its neighbours through the terrible times they are going through.

"The Kingdom of Saintonge believes that this organisation has a role to play in both Predice and Oclusia. The first part of my statement will be in regards to our good friend and neighbour, Predice.

"Saintonge and Predice have a long friendship stretching back centuries. And so the Kingdom of Saintonge believes that as good neighbours in a shared continent," Ambassador Chambault nodded in the direction of Sinjora Kayode and the Vivanquian representative, "we should render any practicable assistance to Predice."

"The longstanding neutrality of the Kingdom of Saintonge prevents us from sending boots on the ground; but we sent humanitarian aid to alleviate the suffering caused by the unrest there. "Aid" doesn't necessarily mean military forces." Ambassador Chambault glanced at Ambassador Ghazi. "We agree, it may include intelligence sharing. It may include sanctions or freezing of assets by the terrorists and their fronts. It may include intercepting and stopping arms shipments to the terrorists."

"But before we jump in on any action we'd want to take, the Kingdom of Saintonge deems it prudent that we first ask Predice. What does Predice need from META and its member states? We cannot simply jump in with aid that might either be unwanted, unnecessary, untenable, or inappropriate."

Ambassador Chambault let out a pause before going to the next topic. "Now, with regards to the non-META member state Oclusia: we believe we have a failed state in Meterra," she declared. "Saintonge has already acted by patrolling the international waters to combat piracy. As a neighbour, that is expected of us. As fellow countries of this continent, what do we expect of ourselves?"

"Powers outside the continent have made their move. We cannot remain torpid while a nightmare is unfolding in our very own continent. We cannot claim that Meterrans can take care of their own destiny if we can't help other Meterrans."

"So I propose that the organisation send an offer of assistance to Oclusia. We ask them what Oclusia needs to combat the pirate menace, and how we can help bring their nation out of the..." Ambassador Chambault paused to think of a word. Sh*thole? Too undiplomatic. Morass? Too poetic. Ruin? Too blunt. "... unenviable situation that it is in. And then we decide what can META bring to Oclusia for the benefit of its people."

Last edited:
Dardanus smiled when Kayode glanced at him, he suspected she knew the arguments he was going to make already. Perhaps this time she might be surprised however.

"This is an interesting discussion, but I think there is a route to agreement despite some of the different opinions shown. Firstly, in terms of Predice - we would agree with Ambassador Ghazi in principle that counter-terrorism is a law enforcement rather than defence issue, and the interference of international organisations could easily be a hindrance. That said, I think the facts on the ground show that the situation in Predice has escalated from terrorism to open conflict that threatens the Predicean state. Haor Chall has already offered significant support to Predice bi-laterally and whilst we would happily provide this within the META framework, we also agree with Saintonge - this is a decision for Predice to make. META clearly cannot and should not make decisions to engage the Charter defence clause if the member in question does not want us to, that would be a gross violation of national sovereignty I think we can all agree.

In terms of the Oclusian situation, I hope those representatives whose nations are also in UMATCO have been briefed on the Coalition's plans in this regard. Whilst I appreciate there are many nations in META who are not in UMATCO, the view of Haor Chall is that the security situation in Oclusia is much more appropriately handled by the Coalition, which was established exactly for this, rather than META. That said, I still see a role for META in Oclusia - just not in terms of defence and security. Whilst UMATCO can work to improve the security situation in Oclusia, META should look to provide humanitarian and economic support. Capacity building in the Oclusian government and steps to improve the economy would be much more appropriate both for the functions META should provide and for our longer term focus to potential future Oclusian membership. Does that not seem reasonable?"

John nodded. "We have been exporting some, but not enough, of our own hybrid crops we'd like to call "harnes". They were genetically engineered to replace the need for meat, but it has become very costly for us to maintain, reflecting the price of 20 armons per pound (7 armons per pound of beef), meaning we sold less than we wanted to. Besides that we export coal as a majority. We imported materials needed for technological systems such as copper, copper wires, and more. We also developed a new government-funded project to get the fastest commercial airliner yet. We've been working from Mach 3 to Mach 6, yet we're stuck on 4.4 Mach. We're working on better engines every year. We'll get a 4.7 Mach engines in 8 months, unless we manage to get more tax without angering the public. As we were neutral for many many years, we don't have that much of a good military or military technology. And hope not to attend any conflicts in the near future physically."

Hello, I apologize for this but this interruption, but this is an official Conclave notice on post #204 of this thread (https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9095325/6#post-10315536) made by Kingbuster9903 (Wermonia) in this thread. There are minor breaches of realism, particularly in reference to the genetic engineering and jet mentioned in the post, and we will need to consider this post null-canon until they are resolved or clarified. Please speak with myself or another Conclave member on the Discord to resolve or clarify these issues.

Vicenzo Rissi listened to the others talk, and then finally spoke: "I believe it would be prudent for me to chime in. As of now, some thirty-thousand troops have been sent to Predice. This is stretching Predice's logistics to the brink. Assisteance would mainly be needed with logistics, as having to feed, and supply thirty-thousand men more than usual is not a situation one would like to be in, but this would not occur under Article 3. Predice believes that other nations are not obligated to assist her in this fight. We would also like to request that Oclusia be stabilised immediately, so as to not allow weapons to be smuggled to terrorists from the north. Thank you."

Last edited:
4lLT0C7.png

From the Office of the High Intendant of the
City State of Knightley and all Dependent Territories

To the Meterra Economic Treaty Association,

It is with great excitement and joy that Knightley submits its application to join META. We have a great history of trade and commerce throughout our history, and there is great importance with securing open trade first and foremost with Knightley's neighbors here on Meterra. Community thrives in prosperity, and so let there be equal prosperity among us. We offer nations our strategic port locations, our well established trade routes and shipment infrastructure, and a modest industry of agriculture and manufacturing mainly in the area of transportation. I have sent our head of our Mission to META, Lester Tomly to answer any questions and to act as our voice to your esteemed organization. We look forward to a bright and successful future as Knightley and Meterra forge these bonds together.

At your service,
Valerie Hudson
High Intendant of the City State

Last edited:
We welcome the application of the City State of Knightley, however could you please inform us of how you believe Knightley will benefit from META membership and, specifically, what benefits META would gain from your membership? It would also be useful to have some more details on the level of economic development in Knightley, and the level of political willingness for the kinds of economic integration which are part of joining an organisation like META?

We welcome the application of the City State of Knightley, however could you please inform us of how you believe Knightley will benefit from META membership and, specifically, what benefits META would gain from your membership? It would also be useful to have some more details on the level of economic development in Knightley, and the level of political willingness for the kinds of economic integration which are part of joining an organization like META?
Knightley is a strong port and trade economy given its central location in the Meterran Sea. Knightley's economy is centered around trade, imports / exports, defense bases, real estate, and the service industry. Knightley has well established trade relations from historical nations and those trade relations could be expanded to help META as well.

Kayode ahemed. "I believe Sinjor' Dardanus meant specific industries that Knightley engages in. You mentioned you had a service economy, but of what sort? Again, we ask: what do you have to bring to the table?"

"Knightley," Naizerre's representative began, "quite clearly brings to the table another market. Another port to aid the transit of goods and guard against piracy and smuggling. Knightley is a stopping off point on the trade route to our friends in Skanda and the rest of southern Iteria. It should be self-evident what they bring to the table and I'm confused as to what is being queried. Nations engage in almost all industries, depending on the natural resources available."

"Naizerre does, however, have some questions to put to Knightley before our support can be fully counted upon. Firstly, your opening message spoke about your manufacturing mainly being in the transportation sector - can you expand on this? Is it geared towards mass transit? Towards private vehicles? Luxury transportation, such as yachts etc? That may go some way to clearing up any confusion my friend from Demescia may have."

Thabo Nguy continued. "Secondly, there remains ongoing crisis both on Meterra and further afield, which threaten to displace large numbers of people. Already refugees from the current conflict on Gothis number in the thousands. Would Knightley be able to, as part of a wider META or pan-organisational program, safely house some of these refugees, even if for a limited period of time? I won't hold you to a firm answer on that one as I'm sure your government may have queries as to what form any program to house refugees may take."

"And thirdly, could you go into some further detail as to who might be considered Knightley's closest partners in trade and diplomacy? I'm aware of some limited trade between Naizerre and Knightley, but would be interested to know of your other partners."

The Lancerian representative took the opportunity to speak up before yielding to the representative from Knightley.

"The Lancerian Empire has found Knightley a primary trade partner for hundreds of years and a friendly reliable neighbour as well. Knightley's location closest to Lancerian ports has made it an important waypoint on the journey of goods from the mainland to the islands and vice-versa as well as habouring a notable population of our citizens or descendants thereof. You'll find us strongly in favour of Knightley's admittance. "

He turned towards the Knightley representative and nodded before taking his seat again.

Boris rapped his fingers against the long and sturdy-looking table in front of him as he took in all of the information that his fellow representatives were giving him as they spoke. There were certainly a fair number of issues back home in Mouxordia, but a few things he could weigh-in caught his attention. Things he knew that Andrej -- the President (and war buddy) -- would appreciate that the nation participate in. Particularly that of Predicean assistance. The two nations had built strong relations with one another in recent years, and he -- as well as Andrej -- wasn't too keen on anything disrupting that relationship. Moreso given it could disrupt their fairly lucrative shipbuilding market. That whole sector of the economy was just barely keeping Mouxordia's economy afloat.

The man sighed, then cleared his throat and spoke up. "Ambassador Rissi," he began, his voice a deep tenor, almost a rumble, "Mouxordia would be more than happy to assist in any delivery of supplies via the sea. I'm sure you know of our two nations' extensive history in the shipwright business; the Auxiliary Fleet's fast transports could be mobilized as early as two weeks from now in order to facilitate the quick transportation of supplies from any Meterran port directly to Predice's shores." He smiled briefly before directing his attention to the newcomer.

"As for the matter concerning the City State of Knightley, it would be prudent for us to admit the nation into META." Boris recalled a map of the continent in his head, then gestured the outline on the table in front of him, "If I recall correctly, nearly all of shipping traffic from the eastern side of the southern half of the continent has to pass through that strait between Lanceria and Knightley. The boons for Knightley would be reason enough for them to apply for membership, and the thoroughfare for goods and persons is reason enough for the Association to allow them membership as well, even despite the nation being as small as it is." And thus lacking any sort of measurable industry or production of its own, is what Boris left out, but hung it in the air for the rest of the representatives to interpret.

"A control of the strait of Lanceria and Knightley would be good, indeed. It would be wise to consider the City State of Knightley joining us." said Vicente Robles as he by instinct moved his hand up to the pocket in his chest, where he had his package of cigarrettes. Or where they should be, as he found that it wasn't there. Ah, right. Different jacket.

"And this is coming from us. It would be an economic boom for the region and the rest of the nations, and it would give more traction to a commerce line by terrain from the north to the south, right through the Grand Duchy. Of course, that will have to come with its own investments in infraestructure... Maybe a more dynamic and coordinated railway system."

Last edited:
Up to the podium stepped an aging, weathered man. His black hair was streaked with grey, and the beard that framed his mouth was entirely white. He had a dark complexion, and from the way he expressed himself one could just tell he'd seen so much in his life. His tone was almost remorseful.

"Good morning to the nations and peoples of Meterra. My name is Msia Siyandôkôs. I am the Secretary of Foreign Affairs of the Federal Republic of Dhahara. Firstly, Dhahara would like to deeply apologize for our long absence in Meterran affairs. We've been through... Quite a lot in the past few decades." The old man cleared his throat. "...But now we are on the track to full recovery. Dhahara has never been as well off as it is now. We're set to become nothing less than a great power once more. Our industries are booming, our insurgencies are quelled, our democracy is shining, and Dhahara can once more afford to look outwards. As such, we felt our first order of business, should you privileged representatives allow us to do so, would be to join this great organization. The Third Republic of Dhahara would like to formally request membership in the Meterra Economic Treaty Assocation, with permission to do so granted from the big men in New Kedasi*."

*New Kedasi is the capital of Dhahara. "Big men" just refers to the Sufetes and their cabinet.

Last edited:
"On behalf of the Majestic Twelve of Haor Chall, I welcome Dhahara's application to join META," Began Dardanus warmly, the Charrian envoy to META. "However. I do have some questions if you would indulge me Secretary Siyanda. We appreciate that Dhahara is is on the road to recovery after the events of recent years, but can you provide some detail on the current level of economic development and what you believe Dharahara offers META in economic terms, particularly regarding potential exports and imports?"

Last edited:
"Demescia, as well, welcomes your application, Msia" Kayode said, her voice a bit more hoarse than usual. "I apologize for my absence these few weeks, I was dealing with a bit of a flu. I would to add onto the question by the Dardanus by asking how comfortable your nation is with the caveats involved, including collective tariffs and free intermigration? How long do you think it would take for your nation to become accustomed with them?"

"I must ask." said Vicente Robles before readjusting his grey jacket. "It is undeniable the path that Dhahara is one to be admired, and I, for one, must clap for that progress. However, I must worry since we humans tend to slip twice on the same rock. How secure is the dhaharan government currently? And excuse me if I sound too bold." He finished with a smirk and a light shrug.

Asturica_flag.png
OFFICIAL DIPLOMATIC COMMUNICATION
MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
KINGDOM OF
ASTURICA

On behalf of the Royal Asturican Parliament, by order of His Excellency Royal Prime Minister Marcos Aguilar, and with the approval of His Majesty King Aurelio III, the Kingdom of Asturica hereby requests entry into the Meterra Economic Treaty Association in the interest of economic prosperity and development. With the conclusion of the Asturican Civil War and the defeat of the fascist PPN government, the Asturican Realm is in need of economic development for which it has been decided to seek foreign aid.
Signed,
Mateo Zacarias-Valvarde
Minister of Foreign Affairs
Kingdom of Asturica

Last edited:
With a clear smile in his face, Vicente Robles spoke after the announcement from the Asturica Government. "Now this is marvelous news! From Vivanco we are glad to see our cousins from the north joining us. And with the end of their civil war, we must ensure, for the good of the continent, that Asturica has a clear and flourishing recovery. I believe their ports will go along nicely with this organization, and from the Vivanquian Government we will wholeheartedly support the Asturicans in this process."

"Likewise," announced Lancerian Prime Minister Isaac Oudinot, during one of his occasional visits to personally oversee the Lancerian delegation to META, "It would be most beneficial for peace on the continent to ensure a stable government in Asturica and plentiful opportunity to help rebuild a nation and create another flourishing economy on Meterra." He nodded towards the Asturican representative in the chamber, and again took his seat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arc
"Although I am pleased at my colleagues' eagerness and hopefulness in accepting new application into the Association," Boris said with a clearing of his throat and rumble of his jowls, "I would ask that they show a bit of caution in doing so without proper vetting." The Mouxordian representative gestured toward the Asturican plenipotentiary with an upward and open palm.

"Minister... Zacarias, was it? Minister, I can personally understand the dire straits that your nation finds itself in. Both for the sake of the people within your borders, but also without them. Mouxordia would be glad to aid in the rebuilding of your great nation on its own terms outside of META, but that is not the purpose of why I sit in this seat this day. Although true that your country's lands span across a critical juncture and land transportation route between the north and south of the continent, we here at this table must also consider the cost -- that is, not necessarily monetarily, but rather the consequences and benefits -- of admittance. As you stated, your nation has only just emerged from being embroiled in likely a deadly and devastating civil war. You seek stability, which is admirable, but what of the Association, and its members? By simply blanketly admitting a nation in such a state, we risk upheaving the stability we've created for our people. We've turned away nations for far less serious nuances than this.

"You are Meterrans, and we see you and your people as one of us, but what benefit would your nation add? What potential is there for investment? You could argue that the slate is as clean as it might ever be, and I would be willing to agree that this is true, but without basic necessities -- food, water, electricity, infrastructure -- how much do we have to sacrifice as a consequence of taking you into the fold?" Boris paused a moment to allow his words to settle on the plenipotentiaries gathered. "I suppose what I'm asking here, Minister, is... what can Asturica offer META?"

Reactions: Arc
Minister Zacarias walked up to the podium decorated with microphones. "Gathered representatives," he began before taking a sip of water. "Since the Asturican Civil War's conclusion in September of 2019, much has been done to rebuild and repair the country to the best of our ability. His Majesty the King and His Excellency the Prime Minister have worked tirelessly to reconstruct the Asturican state following the PPN's downfall. Much has, indeed, been rebuilt. Basic infrastructure has returned to much of the country, schools are slowly being reopened, and electricity and clean water are once again available for use."

"But it is not enough to simply rebuild the bare bones. What we seek is foreign economic investment and aid to reinvigorate Asturica; to hasten a new era of Asturican economic prosperity. Such economic prosperity can then hasten greater Meterran economic prosperity in the form of a new Asturica - built up better than it has ever stood before - contributing to the wider Meterran economic community through trade and commerce. What we have to offer META is prosperity for prosperity."

Although often a quiet participant, Minister Resard Ervas figured that now would be a good time to speak up. "As Asturica's southern neighbour, we have something of a higher stake in these talks. Over our long history, we have had our disputes, sometimes violent, sometimes less so. But now, with the destruction of the old regime we see an opportunity to turn a new page, bringing Meterra even closer together than ever before.

"But enough with the platitudes. It's a known fact that restoring a nation's stability and its economy after major civil conflict requires enormous investment and effort. A nation can do this on its own, perhaps begging on the international stage, or maybe they have some allies already lined up, but in general the greater the investment of money and effort, the faster and more effective the recovery can be. Of course we can wait for them to stabilize themselves on their own, but an immediate entrance to META would quickly form relations and open opportunities for investment and reconstruction that would not exist otherwise. It is our belief that a concerted effort within META will accomplish this far more rapidly and effectively than piecemeal attempts without. If Asturica so desires, a working group of sorts could be setup to help manage and coordinate META's efforts in their reconstruction project.

"If this logic appears flawed, I do have an idea for an alternative. We'd have to work out the specifics, but a special status for Asturica, potentially allowing for the increased investment and participation, while placing certain limits to protect against any possible disruptions could be made. I don't immediately know what these limits would be, nor do I believe it necessary, but I'll just put that on the table if we can't otherwise come to an agreement."

"Well." Vicente said after Minister Resard Evras spoke. "If a full membership is too risky for some of us united in this organisation, perhaps we should take the route that my friend here has just proposed. To stablish Asturica in a special position in order to aid the reconstruction of the country and slowly integrate them within the internal market with the hopes of them becoming a full member of META. If it's risks what's stopping the rest, I honestly I can't say much more, but that international relations are nothing but risks. And I, for one, in the name of my country, this is a risk I would be willing to take."

Statement of the delegation of the Kingdom of Saintonge to the Meterra Economic Treaty Association

Greetings!

As all of you know, early this year, tensions in northern Meterra had escalated to the point of open war between New Aleman and Predice, the latter of which is a member of this organisation. With conflict near its borders and faced with an escalating humanitarian crisis, Saintonge had stepped up in its usual role as a safe haven. His Majesty’s Government had announced the acceptance of up to a million Predicean children that are being evacuated from conflict zones to the safety of specially set-up boarding schools organised as Predicean Youth Communities (Communautés des jeunes predicéens, CJP).

Saintonge cannot do this alone. While Saintonge can manage the logistical task of evacuating the children, we want the programme to be as sustainable as possible, while not sacrificing the goal: let the children be children. The children should live as normal lives as possible. They must be well-cared and provided for. To this end, the government of the Kingdom of Saintonge is building housing, providing food, and hiring social workers and teachers for the Predicean children. It might be difficult for a proud nation like Saintonge to do this, but we are seeking assistance for this initiative. Because the children come first.

We are approaching the members of Meterra Economic Treaty Association to send any assistance, in cash or in kind, for Saintonge’s effort to assist the Predicean children. Any assistance we can solicit will be funnelled to the CJP programme and appropriately audited and accounted for.

Thank you very much and we hope for a positive response.

With you in synergy, affinity, and integrity,

Rachel-Francine Chambault
Ambassador of the Kingdom of Saintonge to the Meterra Economic Treaty Association

Last edited:
Statement of the delegation of the Kingdom of Saintonge to the Meterra Economic Treaty Association

Greetings!

As all of you know, early this year, tensions in northern Meterra had escalated to the point of open war between New Aleman and Predice, the latter of which is a member of this organisation. With conflict near its borders and faced with an escalating humanitarian crisis, Saintonge had stepped up in its usual role as a safe haven. His Majesty’s Government had announced the acceptance of up to a million Predicean children that are being evacuated from conflict zones to the safety of specially set-up boarding schools organised as Predicean Youth Communities (Communautés des jeunes predicéens, CJP).

Saintonge cannot do this alone. While Saintonge can manage the logistical task of evacuating the children, we want the programme to be as sustainable as possible, while not sacrificing the goal: let the children be children. The children should live as normal lives as possible. They must be well-cared and provided for. To this end, the government of the Kingdom of Saintonge is building housing, providing food, and hiring social workers and teachers for the Predicean children. It might be difficult for a proud nation like Saintonge to do this, but we are seeking assistance for this initiative. Because the children come first.

We are approaching the members of Meterra Economic Treaty Association to send any assistance, in cash or in kind, for Saintonge’s effort to assist the Predicean children. Any assistance we can solicit will be funnelled to the CJP programme and appropriately audited and accounted for.

Thank you very much and we hope for a positive response.

With you in synergy, affinity, and integrity,

Rachel-Francine Chambault
Ambassador of the Kingdom of Saintonge to the Meterra Economic Treaty Association
"If we are to make sure that the values of humanity stand, we must all give our part in aiding those in need." Said Vicente, looking over at the rest of diplomats and ministers present.

"I would like to offer Vivanco's aid in support of these actions. And I would like to ask the same of the rest of our members, for this isn't about who's right or wrong, but to save human lives, like us."

"I must ask." said Vicente Robles before readjusting his grey jacket. "It is undeniable the path that Dhahara is one to be admired, and I, for one, must clap for that progress. However, I must worry since we humans tend to slip twice on the same rock. How secure is the dhaharan government currently? And excuse me if I sound too bold." He finished with a smirk and a light shrug.

"The Third Republic, or just the Republic for everyone else, has been stable for at least fifteen so years now. Our general inactivity on the global stage was mostly due to our focus on internal affairs these past few decades. We have been industrializing, building great roads and railroads, and reorganizing the economy. The government in Kedasi is very stable now. We are ready to cooperate properly with our neighbors once more. Dhahara will not be slipping on the same rock again."

Lancerian Representative to META, Caterina Roize, rose to her feet and addressed the chamber with two men at her side. "Esteemed colleagues, I'd like to introduce Jean Cartonne, Lancerian Minister of Agriculutre, and Prof. Marcel Cannoix, a leading entomologist with L'Universite De Saint-Cyr. They're here today to bring to your attention a recent development in the plains of Lanceria. Thank you." She gestured to the two men, and indicated that they could now address the chamber.

Minister Cartonne was the first to speak. "Good morning to all of you here today. It is not often I get to speak before this assembly, and I'm grateful to be welcomed here today. Unfortunately, I must bring a significant issue to your attention. Last week, we received a report from an independent farm in our province of Soult about an insect they had never before seen that had destroyed the crop in several silos on-site, and an additional report of one silo destroyed at a processing plant the farm sells to elsewhere in the province. We began a prompt investigation into this and discovered the Manger Wheat Weevil, an especially active species of Weevil not native to Lanceria. I will yield to Prof. Cannoix to tell you a little more about this insect."

The professor began. "Thank you, Minister. The Manger Wheat Weevil will spread and breed in fields of common cereal grains such as wheat, oats, rye, barley, rice, and corn. While that represents a threat to a field of crops in its own right, the crop becomes especially vulnerable once harvested and stored in silos with the Weevil already present in the grains. The Weevil can then spread, breed, consume, and destroy the majority or all of that stored crop. It is extremely difficult to sort through what might be salvageable in any single storage building. In the Eastern continents of Eras, this species is successfully managed by natural predators that are not present on Lanceria, nor anywhere on Meterra. I will note that while this might seem like a simple solution, I can't recommend introducing those species here to control the Weevil population either, as we do not yet know the impact that might have on other delicately balanced parts of the ecosystems present on the continent. In warm months such as those ahead and perhaps already present in some of the regions represented here today, the lifecycle of the Manger Wheat Weevil takes about 4 weeks or about 15 weeks in colder months. That is why the Minister has brought me on board and why we are acting so quickly, as we don't yet know how long beyond that 4 week mark that these insects have been present on Lanceria. Finally, I will note that this insect is distinct from the common Wheat Weevil that you may already be familiar with. It breeds quicker, it is more hardy, and can be resistant to some of the strategies you may already be employing to tackle regular crop pests.

"Thank you, Professor," The Minister continued, "With this in mind, you will find a package distributed to you now that includes a number of recommendations we have issued to our own agricultural industry after referring to Prof. Cannoix and other experts at the university and in the industry in Lanceria. This includes mandatory reporting of any suspected sightings, restrictions on certain crop movements, and changing storage recommendations which entirely eliminate cardboard and other materials that the Weevil can easily get through. In addition, there is a section at the end of your package that lists some recommendations for the trade of grains not only from Lanceria but between all of our nations to be as vigilant as possible. This includes extra sanitation measures to be taken on trucks, boats, and planes carrying any of these crops. It includes specific inspection guidance that has been issued to our customs agents which you may use to inspire your own policies. "

Representative Roize spoke again. "At this time, we do not know the exact origin of the Weevil onto Lanceria from its natural presence on the eastern continents of Eras. It is even remotely possible that the Weevil is already present on Meterra and that it has just been spotted first on Lanceria. It is our hope that this package, and the recommendations we're making today to our fellow META nations, will prevent the spread of this pest onto mainland Meterra if it isn't there already, and avoid potentially catastrophic consequences for our agricultural industry and food security in all of our nations. You may note that at this time, we are not recommending the suspension of grain imported from Lanceria. We believe that the measures recommended today are adequate to control any potential spread at this time, with our current understanding of the scale. I also understand these recommendations will take a significant investment of time & money by both public & private sources, but seeing as the problem is on our door-step, we have the opportunity to act before it welcomes itself inside. Thank you for your time."

Last edited:
Tsubo Tsango, seeming waking from a bout of drowsiness lasting months, spoke.

"There seems to be a few matters to discuss. Firstly, on this... Manger Wheat Weevil, I trust that the Lancerian authorities will promptly also brief the Department of Primary Industry and Unitary Customs Office on the matter. I'm sure working together with Marie-Catherine Dugenne and Sef Sharma we can call ensure that we monitor the situation and act as needed."

"As a secondary matter, we have let the application of the Mära of Dhahara sit in these halls for too long, and as such I am starting a vote on their admission to META. For those whom need reminding, a two-thirds majority vote is needed to ensure that the motion passes and Dhahara is admitted to this organisation. I am told that my home country of Naizerre supports this application, and it is from Mwikiza Rould that I put this motion."

[FULL CONVENTIONAL NAME OF COUNTRY]

…votes <AYE/NAY> regarding the ADMISSION of DHAHARA as a FULL MEMBER.

Last edited:
The Mära of Naizerre

…votes AYE regarding the ADMISSION of DHAHARA as a FULL MEMBER.

Last edited:
The Most Serene State of Predice

Last edited by a moderator:
flag_74.png

OFFICIAL DIPLOMATIC COMMUNICATION
MINISTRY of FOREIGN AFFAIRS
SACRED EMPIRE of SEINOKU

Esteemed Nations of Meterra,
The Sacred Empire of Seinoku, by the wishes of His Imperial Majesty the Sacred Emperor and in the spirit of mutual benefit and prosperity with its fellow sovereign states upon the Meterran continent, requests membership with the Meterran Economic Treaty Association. Seinoku is a modern economy and His Imperial Majesty's Government believes that both Seinoku and Meterra as a whole would find not but benefit through further economic interlinking and integration through Seinokan membership.

Sincerely,
Miyashita Miyoko
Minister of Foreign Affairs
Sacred Empire of Seinoku

The Lancerian Empire

The Grand Duchy of Vivanco

Back