Last edited:
EJF5Q0J.png

L'Indépendant > Mercanti > Sports

Player Spotlight: Timothée Chiarisoli

by Adrienne-Marie d'Orves in Saintes
10 September 2021 - 0920h

hu7B5Up.png
Name: Timothée Chiarisoli
Birthdate and birthplace: 10 December 1998, Terracine (Simbruins)
Team: Côme FC
Position: Defender

“I thought I would be eligible to represent Predice, but I was not,” Timothée Chiarisoli said in an interview with the Predicean-Santonian community newspaper Gli Amici. “Saintonge does not allow dual citizenship; and so I had to go with Saintonge.”

It might have sounded like Saintonge was his second choice, but Timothée Chiarisoli grew up idolising Predicean football legends. For all of Saintonge’s hype about football, the country had only won once in the World Cup. “I’m looking to change that,” Timothée said with a grin. “We’ll try to make it two stars.”

In a Santonian team that is one-fourth of immigrant background, Timothée Chiarisoli is one of the two players of Predicean descent. (The other is fellow defender Brice-Maximin Grimont.) He was born to a Predicean father and a Santonian mother in the gritty industrial town of Terracine, in eastern Saintonge. His father’s family, originally from San Gallo in central Predice, fled the communist regime in Predice to settle in Saintonge.

“My father’s family is into football, like you know, stereotypical Prediceans,” Timothée said. “Even more so than my mother’s Santonian family. It is my father and my uncles who impressed in me the love of football.”

At an early age, Timothée was enrolled in the Predicean-Santonian community club Terracina Calcio, a feeder club for the larger Côme FC. Timothée was picked up by the Wolves at the age of sixteen, and trained at Côme FC’s football academy. After his National Service, he had a short stint with Côme FC’s B team before being promoted to the regular roster that plays in the Première Ligue.

Timothée Chiarisoli plays as a flexible centre-back, who can move forward to play as a midfielder. He’s also one of the defenders who can score a goal. In the 2019-2020 season, Chiarisoli’s goal against the Nobles d’Aubeterre FC in the penultimate game of the season sank the Aubeterrais to the relegation zone and eventually out of the Première Ligue.

In the second group stage game against Aydin, Chiarisoli’s flexibility enabled Saintonge to adopt a more offensive posture, allowing them to salvage a draw. His steal during the second half lit up Twitcher and the rest of Santonian social media. His response: “when I said we’ll try to get another star for Saintonge, we mean it.”

translation by Jérôme-Caden Barceloux Colcolough
10 September 2021 - 1258h

Last edited:
RAP SPORT

Predice v Xentherida: Mancini bags a hat trick, Ancelotti scores his first, Zacilano and Deschamps also score

By: Federico Bernardeschi

BEAUNE — The Golden Eagles enjoyed a cracker of a game as they beat Xentherida in an eight goal bonanza.

Prematch
Confidence was high, as Frederico Bastoni said: “I hope that Xentherida won’t trouble us too much today, and that we can walk away with a clean sheet.”
Mancini too was optimistic, saying: “It’s always hard to break down a back five, but I think we can walk away from this with three points.”

First half
As has become somewhat of a tradition for the Golden Eagles, they started the game poorly, as a mistaken pass in the second minute led to a Xentheridan midfielder claiming the ball, and managing to make it just outside the box, where he shot and scored. A cold shower for the Predicean players, as Xentherida woke them up. The rest of the half saw Predice in clear control, however, as Xentherida was placed under withering pressure. They finally cracked at the 13th minute, as Carlo Ancelotti tackled a Xentheridan defender, and scored his first goal for Predice from just inside the box, equalising the game. This was followed up in the 20th minute, as a Gorganzole cross found Zacilano, who put the ball in the top left corner, making it 2-1. In the 22nd minute, Deschamps managed to make it into the box, where he struck the near post, with the ball deflecting straight to his foot again, as he blasted the ball into the top right corner, making the score 3-1. In the 37th minute, the Xentheridans conceded a corner, which Gorganzole took. The ball was headed into the cross bar by Mancini, and the keeper quickly got a hold of the ball. In the 40th minute, however, Carlo Ancelotti managed to win the ball in midfield, and sent a pass for a waiting Mancini, who, beating his man, managed to make it into the box for a one on one with the keeper. He scored, tapping the ball into the bottom left corner, making the score 4-1. This remained unchanged, as the ref blew his whistle for halftime.

Second half
For a second time, Frederico Bastoni made no substitutions at halftime, something, which didn’t quite pay off to the extent that it did against Vallia, but it certainly worked, as Mancini scored his second of the game, and Predice’s fifth of the match at the 48th minute, following an Ancelotti pass into the box. Just as it looked like Predice would be running away with it, however, they scored from a break, as a Predicean corner went awry, and a Xentheridan striker managed to claim the ball. He quickly sprinted across the field, managing to beat the back three, and finally the keeper, as he made the score line 5-2. This, however would not be the last goal of the game, as Mancini claimed the match ball in the 79th minute, following a Deschamps cross, which reached his foot, he put it away gleefully, making it 6-2. There was some action in the closing minutes of the second half, as Xentherida managed to get a free kick dangerously close to the box. The free kick taker, however, put the ball into the wall, and Frezza quickly cleared the ball. The Xentheridans had another chance, in the 62nd minute, when their striker got within shooting distance, but was dispossessed, and the ball was cleared. Unrealised Predicean chances include in the 71st minute, as Zacilano hit the bar from 20 meters out, and a Mancini free kick in the 75th minute from the right side of the penalty box, which was claimed by the keeper.
In total, Predice had 16 shots on goal, compared to 4 from Xentherida. As the game was brought to an end by the referee, Predice had once again won a high scoring victory, but had once again been denied a clean sheet.

Post-match
The post-match feelings were mixed. Although Predice had scored six goals, they had also conceded two.
Both of these things were overshadowed by the fact, that Predice had secured its qualification to the knockout stages with this win, and also had scored ten goals in two games, conceding just three in return.
Mancini, man of the match for a second time consecutively and now looking set for the Golden boot said in the post-match press conference: “It is a shame that we didn’t manage to keep a clean sheet. Obviously I am very happy about getting the match ball tonight, but the Xentheridans really made it a game.”
Frederico Bastoni, Predice’s head coach also had praise for Xentherida, saying: “They played very bravely, and fought well. They never gave up, despite being 5-1 down, and they managed to score a second.”
The Golden Eagles now prepare for their final group stage matchup against Makopa, to kick off on September 14th, at the Stade d’Aurigny.

OOC: Awaiting approval

Last edited:
Z8kYmXV.png

JUST WHO IS HE?: NEW LIONS COACH ENTERS FIRST WORLD CUP
by Prakash Patel in Pataliputra
4 September, 2002

Curacao-v-India---International-Friendly-3bb06d4610a8681c996f88e67f0e8290.jpg

New Lions head coach Borys Brzęczyszczykiewicz at his first World Cup press conference.

SAINTES, SAINTONGE: After a disappointing, though nevertheless stunning, third-place victory in the 2019 World Cup, many thought that the career of head coach Suresh Reddy - beloved by Imperial soccer fans and by his players as Prasan Vyakti - the "Jolly Man" - was set in stone. His endless positivity and warm demeanor endeared him to both fans and players. However, just months before the soon-to-commence 2002 World Cup in Saintonge, abruptly stepped down in favor of his assistant coach, Borys Brzęczyszczykiewicz. Brzęczyszczykiewicz, the younger brother of former Grand Prince of Kalety Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz and both a former soccer player and longtime coach himself, has emerged as a nevertheless enigmatic leader for the state team, with many wondering just who this new coach is.

The third son of mountain farmer Ignacy Brzęczyszczykiewicz, the family's fortunes changed when they moved to the city of Kalety itself, which allowed all Ignacy's children - Grzegorz, Maja, and Borys - to attend college. Grzegorz went into politics after graduating, whilst Maja worked for her father and her mother Ewa in expanding the family business into what became the Ignacy's supermarket chain, eventually taking over the family business herself. Borys, however, had different aspirations. Unlike his siblings, he refused to go to college, instead making a risky move to try out for the local soccer club. Despite the misgivings of his parents, one thing led to another and through talent, ingenuity, and hard work, Borys found himself as the team captain of Torun, the leading soccer club in Kalety and one of the most formidable teams in the Imperial League, and he was eventually invited to play for the Lions.

Quickly developing a bond with then-new head coach Reddy, Borys, though rarely a star player unlike in Kalety, became a close friend to his coach. His appointment as assistant coach following his professional retirement drew criticism at the time, as many accused Reddy of favoritism towards a player who, in many ways, seemed unremarkable except for the fact that he had come to know Reddy personally. Some of this criticism renewed itself a few months ago following Reddy's retirement, but both former coach and players both current and former came out in support of Borys as a result. Speaking to the press in his first public appearance since his announcement of retirement, Reddy stated, "I've known Borys for most of my professional life. Many over the years have called me a favoritist as a result, but I said then and I will say now that what some call favoritism I call legacy. It may not have been a win, but 2000 was the closest we've ever been to a win in decades, and I consider it the highlight of my career. I see in Borys someone who can take that vision and keep it going until, in Lord Rudra's good time, soccer goes gold."

Borys inherits a strong team, including such players who achieved global fame two years ago as star forward Rohan Pynadath and team captain Sasan Wataru, better known as Sasawat. The Lions will be facing off against their Sapphire counterparts in Iraelia - just as they did two years ago - in their first game of the group phase. IBC will continue to post live updates as they come.​

Translation by Vijay Dongre
March 22, 2002

Share This Story!

Player Changes
The Ulstome lineup has several notable key changes despite the core of the team remaining the same as in their previous game. The Sost Krincaster partnership of Kon and Iskan would remain the center-back pairing with Possmon remaining at right-back. Although the back line mainly stays the same, there was a change at the left back position. Harold Salsen has been brought off for Haslantestone’s Timothy Fremsla. This change indicating that he is expecting his team to perform much more aggressively along the left wing to support the teams attack and add more width. This is likely to help break down the defensive strengths of the 4-1-4-1 formation. The rest of the back line will likely form more off a back 3 during the game when Fremsla goes forward in order to provide a strong defence in the result of a counter. The midfield remained the same with Varson and Monkin being positioned to help screen the back line and support the team in its build up play. On the wings its clear the manager has decided to give the young a chance with Ivasno and Zickmer taking over the wide positions from Hollerford and Monlerin. Vaas remained as the teams central attacking midfielder and team captain although his impact will likely be more to help Frederickson up front to apply pressure on the back line due to the defensive midfielder in the 4-1-4-1 being much a danger to his number 10 position. These 3 changes show the manager is giving his young players their time internationally after their good seasons with all 3 of the changes this being their first national team debut in an international tournament that’s not part of the U23’s. This team will look to be a lot more fluid than the players that were playing last time, as Ivasno and Zickmer’s speed will prove a challenge to deal with if their runs can be picked out or they can get themselves into 1 on 1 situations with defenders where their speed and dribbling ability will let them breeze past. Frederickon’s presence in the box with his strong aerial presence will be a dangerous receiver for his sost krincaster teammates crosses from the edges of the box.

sOVELF3.png

KANAL 3 SPORT

Mintoria v. Shenghua, national football team expecting hard match

The Mintorian football team is preparing itself for another match today, this time against the team from Shenghua, at the Stade Béthon stadium in Béthanie. The team so far has had a good streak in the group stage. To everyone’s surprise, it had defeated the Goyanean team, which had won the previous World Cup in 2019, with a score of four to two. It then won against the Yalken team with a score of two to zero.

The team is now anticipating a tough match against Shenghua, which has gotten ahead of the other two teams, and is tied with Mintoria. The head coach Erich Kirchenschröder, when asked for comment, stated: “This is going to be a hard match, and it’s going to require us to bring out our all today.” He also expressed confidence that the team would do well in today’s upcoming match. Should the team win this match, Mintoria will move on to the knockout stage, where it will compete against other national teams that have made it out the the group stage.

Last edited:
Sept. 12th, 2021
Saint-Cyr,
Lanceria

While the group stages were interesting, Marcel Renault found that most years excitement really started to kick up for the elimination rounds. Nonetheless, there was no way that he wasn't going to take advantage of those already invested in the Lancerian team. He had ordered jerseys well in advance, printed a big calendar schedule (laminated so that he could write the scores and add in the upcoming matches), and hung big banners for the national team. His daughter and him had spent much of the week previous working to bring the spirit of the game here. The first loss had put a bit of a damper on the mood, but Marcel had been talking up the team to anyone who would listen, about how unlucky it was that two core players couldn't play, how a bounce or two different in the 2nd half might've changed the game entirely, and that there was a rumor that one of the opposing players had spat at three different players in the first half alone! He was pretty sure that one was blatantly untrue, but if it kept people talking or built up the rivalry then it was worthwhile anyway. His hours of online research wouldn't be wasted he thought, as he adjusted a jar of little Lancerian flags that sat on the counter.

For a moment, he left the cash unattended and quickly crossed the street. On the other side he turned around and looked at his shop. From here, and undoubtedly from the windows of the passing cars and the eyes of pedestrians, the shop stood out with bright red, blue, and gold colours of the Lancerian national team. He stood there for a moment appreciating his shrewd business choice. Every two years the World Cup was a goldmine of sorts and as his daughter grew older the extra funds would surely go a long way towards her education. Proud of himself, he continued to admire the shop, watching one and then two customers walk inside. A minute later one of those who entered opened the door, a little unsure, and looked up and down the street. Marcel wondered why that was, and then snapped out of it. "I'm here!" he shouted, impatiently waiting for a car to pass and then jogging across the street. "I'm here! Apologies about that, just had to run out a second, let me come in to ring you up." as he ushered the customer back into the store.

Last edited:
RAP Sport

Predice-Makopa starting XI confirmed

DIEPPE -- Frederico Bastoni, the Golden Eagles' head coach has confirmed the starting XI for Predice's last group game against Makopa.

The lineup
The lineup, as before, is a 3-5-2. Dom Torrentino, and Michle Frezza are once again the rocks at centre-back, with Andrea Costacurta completing the centre-back lineup. The five man midfield is made up of Giorgio Deschamps, Carlo Ancelotti, Armando Di Giorgis, Alessandro Baricello, and Pietro De Goldi. The two strikers are once again the golden boot contender Matteo Mancini, and Tomasso Rossi. Bianchi once again starts in goal.
Making a return from the Predice-Xentherida lineup are Giorgio Deschamps and Carlo Ancelotti, who performed very well.

lineup_5.png

Players
Matteo Mancini is a Golden Boot contender with five goals in two games. Carlo Ancelotti is Predice's golden youngster, having burst onto the scene, and having earned himself another start. Predice's captain, Michele Frezza has continued to be strong in defense with his partner, Dom Torrentino. Gianluca Bianchi has been a reliable shot stopper for Predice, although he has had some trouble, failing to keep a clean sheet thus far.

Last edited:
dvd7Sgf.png

BG9Y1hK.png
Charles-Kieran Froidevaux-Hurley @CKFHurley 1d
K61eTf7.png

Two consecutive games and we saw both the Santonian team captain and his fellow midfielder replaced, to great effect. Did #LesDiablesRouges find the winning formula? Replace the captain?
#CoupeDuMonde2021 #STG #Saintonge

6.6K Retwitches • 20.5K Likes

Fr332mY.png

DDWbJc7.png
Marissa Cointreau @cointreau_marissa 1d
K61eTf7.png
Replying to @CKFHurley

To be frank, TJ Descoteaux has become some sort of liability for the Red Devils. He might be adept at identifying opportunities as captain, but he has a bad temperament. He got a yellow card in the game against Aydin. Last WC he got ejected in the game against Prydania and they had to play a man down, which contributed to the team's loss.​

105 Retwitches • 889 Likes

Fr332mY.png

K5PrqHY.png
Charles-Austremoine de Villespin @CAVilles 1d
K61eTf7.png
Replying to @cointreau_marissa

The Viking boys seem to gel together. If Descoteaux is not on the field, Jeandupeux, being the vice-captain, takes the lead. And he had played with a lot of these teammates for years. Even with Slick, who is years older than them, it seemed that they aren't foreign to each other.​
#CoupeDuMonde2021 #LesDiablesRouges #Saintonge

1.0K Retwitches • 6.9K Likes

Fr332mY.png

BG9Y1hK.png
Charles-Kieran Froidevaux-Hurley @CKFHurley 1d
K61eTf7.png
Replying to @CAVilles

Agreed, but Jeandupeux's captaining skills are yet to be polished. He is young. I'll give him that he has a lot of potential, but I think he lacks in experience. He had multiple bad calls and missed opportunities in the game against Aydin.​

362 Retwitches • 7.1K Likes

Fr332mY.png

DDWbJc7.png
Marissa Cointreau @cointreau_marissa 1d
K61eTf7.png
Replying to @CKFHurley

That lack of experience seems to be mitigated if Tristan Saint-Huile is also on the pitch, such as in second half of the game against Skanda. Slick can sometimes spot what Jeandupeaux can't, and in a way they complement each other. Maybe that's the winning formula!​

605 Retwitches • 7.5K Likes

Fr332mY.png

qrdRu3U.jpg

Prydanian Team Becomes First Team to Qualify for Advancement in Saintonge
by Ketill Oien

Saintes- The Prydanian National Team's 3-1 win over Tardine on 10 September, coupled with Mansani's loss to Zhen, was enough to punch their ticket to the knockout stage of the World Cup tournament. The Harts became the first team in the tournament to accomplish this feet.

"We've been playing a very solid game," Kurt Mörch said, when asked about Prydania's two games so far.
"We know we have the skills to win on this stage, and we're at a place where we trust our gameplan."

Indeed, the play for Prydania has been solid from top to bottom. Goaltender Tom Höyer has been efficient in net. The tandem of Peter Bach and Tjörvi Hagtvedt have been lethal, accounting for six of Prydania's seven goals so far. Mörch's midfield is a figurative labyrinth for opposing players to navigate, and the leadership of Vice Captain Storm Bendixen on defence has been suffocating.

"We tell ourselves that if anyone's getting goals on us, they'll have to hope for prayers because they're not getting past us," Bendixen said.

Of note has been Defender Eyjólfur Kolstad, whose command of the outside right of the field has been remarkable. The twenty year old Osfjoll native has made waves in two games because of seemingly unlimited doggedness.

"Eyjólfur is everywhere at once...his ability to adjust and always be in position has been great. He's playing with a fire," fellow right side defender Eskild Dörum remarked.
"I played with him a year ago, and he was always talented. But it's like he's possessed."

"I'm just focused I guess," Kolstad told RÚV 8.
"I want to play my best. Some people back home and elsewhere thought it was a mistake to send a team this young to the World Cup, and I guess I want to prove things to them and myself."

Evolving the Game

Indeed, Coach Höj has spoken before about the team's young makeup. It does seem to be part of a wider team philosophy though.

"The 2017 Harts team," team Captain Bach said, "I know people didn't call us that because it was supposed to be apolitical, but screw it, we were the Harts, we shocked the world by getting as far as we did, and we nearly won. But if we trotted out a team that played by that style of game we'd be done in this tournament today quickly. The game is always changing. What worked two years ago, let alone four, won't work today. So you have to constantly find ways to adjust to the game as it changes around you."

And what has helped the Prydanian team? It's international club play, Bach says.

"I play with Predicians and Syrixians along side Alemreichers on MCFC," Bach explained. I learnt a lot from them. I hope they learnt something from me too, but that's how you grow. Every country has their style and philosophy you grow up and learn with, but isolation and not learning from the rest of the world means stagnation in football."

"People say we're a Prydanian-heavy team in AJSTC," Tjörvi Hagtvedt said, referring to his club team in Saintonge's Premier League.
"But we have players who are from Prydania, players who are from Prydania but grew up in Saintonge, Santonians with Prydanian roots, players with Predician and Santonian roots...it's a diverse set of backgrounds and perspectives, we all learn from each other there. And I take that back to the national team."

Hagtvedt's transfer from Alaterva VF to AJSTC established a working agreement between the two clubs, allowing for an exchange of philosophies and ideas. And the coach of Alaterva? Jakob Höj. The man overseeing the Prydanian national team.

"It's not about adopting this or that, or abandoning our own philosophies and playing styles," Höj said.
"We learn. They learn. They adapt. We adapt. It's not even a conscious thing half the time. When you work with players and organizations from elsewhere everyone adapts and learns. Football's a truly international game, and you have to embrace that if you want to find success. This program, by necessity, had to be cloistered for years because of the War. And I'm ready to embrace the world again. I haven't felt this much electricity since '69!" Höj said, referring to the 1969 World Cup Champion Prydanian team, a team he was a midfielder on.

Valence and Tournament Success

"I'm beyond honoured," Storm Bendixen remarked, commenting on the Harts' experience in Valence.
"The Prydanian community has come out for us. To both support us and to make us feel comfortable and at home."

"I'm just some nineteen year old kid," Defender Eskild Dörum said laughing.
"But I get to see how much we mean to Prydanians here, as well as home. It's very humbling and it makes you feel good to know you have that affect on people. We're the first team to qualify for the next stage of the tournament and it's amazing to see how much pride in that means to people."

"The Santonians of Valence have been very welcoming as well," Peter Bach added.
"I didn't know what reaction I would get. I was prepared for some people to hold 2019 against me, and I was ready to say 'já I deserve it'" he laughed.
"And of course they're going to cheer for their team first and foremost, but they've been great hosts. I've learnt some Santonian too! Just meeting with people who love football and want us to enjoy our stay."

Looking to Zhen

Being the first team to qualify for the next stage affords the Harts some freedom in how they approach Zhen, and Coach Höj is taking advantage. Tjörvi Hagtvedt will be rotated out for Bertram Abildgaard, Kurt Mörch will be replaced by Freddy Holst, and Stig Kallesen will sit for Röskvi Svane.
Höj also indicated that more will be rotated during the game.

"We have our game and system running. Now it's time to rotate some roster pieces in, get some playing time for subs we'll need in the coming rounds, and give some guys a well-earned rest," Höj said.

"This game again Zhen is the ultimate tune-up. We're going to make sure we're as ready as we can be for the knockout round."

The Harts kick off against Zhen on 13 September in Group A's late game from Coire.

Last edited:
11 September 2021
10:17 am
On a Saturday

Valence, Saintonge

“No, no, you gotta aim towards the middle...centre of gravity and all,” Mark Seip said, his voice slightly panicked as Tjörvi Hagtvedt frantically mashed buttons on the controller.

“Ok, ok, ok,” Tjörvi replied as he tried to get the little green ball named Vishy from platform to platform.
“Ok I think…no!” he said disheartened as Vishy fell off the screen, having overshot the platform.

Mark sighed. He and Tjörvi were roommates and they had decided to play some video games after breakfast. The room had a console that had a lot of the more recent games to choose from.

“You tried to get too fancy,” Mark insisted.
“Vishy is a simple game though, you have to use gravity.”

“I thought I was!” Tjörvi insisted.
“I was gonna swing around that platform and land on the other and…”

“You over-thought it. You need to take it one at a time,” Mark chuckled. Both turned though, when they heard a knock on the door. Mark got up to get it, and found the team’s Vice Captain Storm Bendixen standing there.

“Hey Mark,” he said, smiling.
“Coach wants to see you. He wants to go over midfield assignments.”

Mark looked back at Tjörvi, who smiled wide and gave him a thumbs up. Mark was not a starter, but if Coach wanted to go over assignments it meant he was likely going to be seeing some playing time.

“Ok, cool,” Mark said, looking back at Storm as he tried to appear like he wasn’t giddy.

“What are ya guys doing?” Storm asked, looking over Mark’s shoulder.

“Vishy's Star Crusade,” Tjörvi said, as he returned to the game’s start menu.

“Oh, I don’t think I’ve played that one,” Storm insisted.

“Did they even have video games when you were a kid?” Mark teased. Storm was twenty-eight, but with the Prydanian team skewing young he was the oldest on the team.

“I’m only eight years older than you Mark,” Storm said dryly, though still smiling.

“But you’re nine years older than me, grandpabbi,” Tjörvi said, still sitting crossed legged on the bed as he scrolled through menu options on Vishy.

“Hahah,” Storm said, giving a faux laugh.
“Don’t you have somewhere to be?” he said, smirking at Mark.

“Já, já, já,” Mark chuckled, leaving the room as Storm sat down next to Tjörvi.

“Mind if I play?” he asked.

“Go ahead!,” Tjörvi insisted, handing him the controller. His thumbs hurt anyway.
Tjörvi watched Storm start a new game, oblivious to the fact that the door to the room was still open. It was about halfway through Storm’s first go at the first level when there was another knock.

“Hey,” Eyjólfur Kolstad said, poking his head in.

“Hey Eyjólfur!” Storm said happily. Storm was the team’s lead defenceman, and Eyjólfur’s defensive play had been really impressive so far.

“Oh, Storm, I didn’t know you’d be here.”

“Oh?” Storm asked, half of his attention locked on the game.

“I was looking for Tjörvi,” Eyjólfur said, a bit nervously.

“What’s up?” Tjörvi replied cheerfully, looking over at the door as Storm was now fully glued to the tv screen playing the game.

“Um, it’s private, if that’s ok?” Eyjólfur insisted. Tjörvi looked a bit concerned. Eyjólfur was playing very well on the field, but he’d been very...not himself since they arrived in Saintonge. He was quiet when the team went out on the town, and tended to wander off to do his own thing. Eyjólfur and Tjörvi weren’t close-close, but they had a mutual friend in Röskvi Svane, who noticed Eyjólfur’s new loaner attitude.

“Ok…” Tjörvi said, getting up. He was a bit unsure about what Eyjólfur wanted but he had no reason to really say no.
“You're ok here?” he asked Storm.

“Yeah...almost got this figured out…” Storm mumbled.

“Ok then,” Tjörvi said, leaving with Eyjólfur as Storm was busy with video games.
“What’s up?” he asked as they were alone in the hallway of the hotel.

“I was wondering if you could do me a favour,” Eyjólfur said as they walked. Tjörvi nodded. He could tell Eyjólfur was more nervous than anything.

“Is everything ok?”

“Já,” Eyjólfur nodded.
“Everything’s good but I um…” he trailed off a bit as the two reached an alcove at a junction of hallways, a few plush seats around a table. Eyjólfur took a seat as Tjörvi sat next to him.
“...I was wondering if you could teach me some Santonian?”

Tjörvi didn't really know what to say at first. He just sat there for a moment.
“You know my Santonian isn't super great right?” he said.

“You've been translating for us since we got here,” Eyjólfur replied.

“Já but like...my accent is very noticeable,” Tjörvi laughed.

“That's ok...I don't need to be fluent or anything, I just want to be able to…” he trialed off again.

“What's the matter?” Tjörvi asked. Eyjólfur had insisted nothing was wrong but he was clearly nervous and anxious about something.

Eyjólfur sighed.
“I met a girl.”

“Oh,” Tjörvi replied. He didn't expect to hear that.
“And she's Santonian?”

“She works the late shift at a convenience store in town. Her name is Anne-Sophie. She's beautiful…” Eyjólfur’s moody attitude lifted as he smiled thinking about her.
“But she doesn't speak Prydanian and I don't speak Santonian so…”

“Wait...is this where you've been going every night?” Tjörvi asked.

“Já…” Eyjólfur said, leaving out some of his other excursions for now.

“Oh my God,” Tjörvi replied with a wide grin. He got very excited.
“You met someone and you want to speak to her in her native language. That's so sweet!”

Eyjólfur shot a wide blue-eyed puppy dog gaze towards Tjörvi and nodded.
“And you're the only person who I know who knows Santonian who could...help me.”

“Coach Höj speaks Santonian. He speaks it better than I do.”

“I can't talk to Coach about this!”

Tjörvi nodded and grinned.
“When are you seeing her next?”

“I was going to swing by tonight and…”

“You want to learn Santonian in like...a few hours?!”

“Just enough to say some nice things!”

“Ok so,” Tjörvi said with a determined look on his face and a nod.
“Let’s start simple. 'Bonjour’ means ‘hello.’”
Eyjólfur nodded.

“Bonjour,” he said. He'd picked that much up.

“Good!” Tjörvi said encouragingly.
“Ok so let's try a few phrases…”

11 September 2021
8:34 pm
On a Saturday

Valence, Saintonge

Eyjólfur entered the store in a very chipper mood. He eagerly bought two nice, cool cups of orange juice from the vending machine and made his way to Anne-Sophie, smiling as he saw her holding his chocolate bar.

“Bonjour, J'espérais que tu te montres?” she said with a smile. She knew this handsome Prydanian football player couldn't understand her. And it allowed her to be more daring.

Eyjólfur smiled, setting the cups of orange juice down and took the chocolate bar for a second, before setting it down too. He didn't understand what Anne-Sophie said, but he was going to do this...he remembered what Tjörvi had taught him, a few phrases and words he'd committed to memory.
“Bonjour Anne-Sophie. Je...suis.. très heureux de vous revoir…” he said slowly, telling her he was happy to see her. The foreign words felt unsure on his tongue. He hoped they came out right…

Anne-Sophie blushed. He spoke Santonian? Did he pick up on those cute things she'd said to him over the nights he'd been coming in?
“Vous parlez Saintongeaise?”

Eyjólfur shook his head with a chuckle.
“J'ai appris assez pour dire que j'aime ta compagnie,” he said with a blush. Anne-Sophie chuckled.

“Alors tu n'as pas compris quand je t'ai appelé mignonne il y a quelques jours?”

Eyjólfur laughed and shook his head.
“I’m sorry, I don't understand that,” he chuckled nervously.
Still...he'd told her that he was as excited to see her as she was to see him. In her own language. He'd managed to cross that bridge, if only by a bit.

She chuckled too and sighed.
“Y a-t-il autre chose que vous avez appris à dire?”

Eyjólfur stuck one of the straws into the plastic covering the orange juice cup and sipped. He had no idea what she'd just said. And he was sipping on orange juice to give himself time to remember what Tjörvi had taught him to say. He sat the cup down on the counter and blushed a bit.

“Voudriez-vous vous joindre à moi pour un café demain soir?” he asked, wanting to know if she'd join him for coffee the next night. He almost whispered it. He'd just learnt how to say it but he knew what it was.

She blushed. This was not what she expected, but he also smiled.
“J'aimerais beaucoup ça.”

Eyjólfur was a bundle of nerves though. His relationship with this girl wasn't very deep...but he enjoyed her company for the few minutes they had together each night. And when she replied he couldn't understand. Anne-Sophie seemed to get that he didn't though, and blushed with a nod.

“Oui,” she said with a soft laugh. Eyjólfur laughed too, he knew that meant “yes,” and grinned.

“Merci” he said, breathing a huge sigh of relief.
“I can't promise I’ll be the best conversationalist” he said, before adding “mais j'ai hâte de te voir demain soir.”

She smiled and put her hand out to stop his when he went to pay for the chocolate bar.

“Pour vous,” she said as she winked, beginning to sip her own cup of orange juice.

Eyjólfur got the meaning of what she was saying, putting his money back in his pocket. He didn't know what else to say...so he figured he'd say the last thing Tjörvi taught him.
“Merci. Vous avez rendu mon voyage ici incroyable.”

“Je suis très honoré,” she giggled.

Eyjólfur smiled, saying “I’ll see you tomorrow night,” in Prydanian. He could have stayed there with her, just being with her for hours. He would have to settle for the next evening.

NATIONAL TEAM PULLS UPSET OVER GOYANES
Written by Zhang Guohua
12 September, 2021

-1x-1.jpg

MERCANTI / 鄍文

(DREST, SAINTONGE)
- What was a matchup of giant vs the ant turned into a massive upset. Our local team mostly comprised of kids in their teens was drawn to do battle with Goyanes - One of the greater football nations throughout Eras. And they pulled off what was a major upset in a matter of 94 minutes on the clock. And here's how they did it.

At the beginning of the game, the ball was moving up and down the field. Neither team could get a direct goal in. There were several missed shots from the Shenghuese, including a missed 4'' from Huang Rongjun in the 3rd minute, a missed 55'' from Lin Jiatong in the 40th minute, and a missed 35'' from Zhen Luoyang in the 84th minute. But, they were able to place one goal into the net before the end of the first half - 15-year-old Rong Zhengya (Xianggao Emerald Commit) received a pass from Hao Guangzhi and dribbled it up the field with Lin. They were able to bypass many defenders and Zhengya shot the ball into the net.

A strong Shenghuese defense was able to keep the ball from getting into their net - Especially with three strong saves from Mingde University's Zhao Daming. Rong was asked about his performance after the game and the future Golden Dragon said, "It wasn't just me, it was my friends... My family... They all did something in this win."

The Sacred Flowers will play against Mintoria in their next matchup.

Last edited:

The Eric Vaas Show
The strong Ulstome side would reinforce its lead of Group E as at the Stade d’Esperance they would ruin Lanceria hope with a devastating 7 – 1 win.

This win put them joint top with Predice for the top scoring side of the tournament so far with 10 goals but with Ulstome having only conceded 2 goals they held the best goal difference of 8 goals. The attacking playstyle instilled in this Ulstome team has shown to be paying off so far after a 3-1 and now a 7-1 win in the teams first 2 games.

The game would start off ideal for Ulstome right from the kickoff. The team passed the ball back to the defence which drew the Lorbank team forward as they tried to engage and win the ball early on. This meant that a wide area of space ahad opened between the defenders and the keeper, the perfect area for Ivasno to use his speed to exploit. He held by the shoulder of his defender while he waited for a through or long ball to come in from behind. Noticing Ivasno’s readiness to make the run and the space that was before him Kon sent a long ball forward that Ivasno did not hesitate to run towards. Daniel Vanins the Lorbank keeper rushed out to intercept the ball before Ivasno could get the opportunity to shoot. Ivasno got to the ball first but a bad first touch caused it to go forward towards the box. Unfortunately for Lorbank as Vanins slide along the ground to grab it before Ivasno could properly recover he came outside the box resulting in it being hand ball, in addition he took out Ivasno who was reaching to knock the ball past the keeper. This was met immediately with a red card from the referee brining Lorbank down to 10 men. Ulstome had a freekick from just outside the box and it was clear who would take it, this was Vaas’s danger area, and he showed everyone why as he dipped the ball just over the wall and into the net to open the scoring with a goal in the 5th minute of the game.

With Lorbank now playing with 10 men Ulstome felt a lot less pressure when they would go forward as the man advantage and goal had instilled them with a lot more confidence. They kept at it, hounding Lorbank players whenever they received the ball so that they couldn’t progress it up the pitch and then when possession had been turned over, they would lead an immediate counter attack. It would not take them long to score another as a cross from Zickmer would find the head of Vaas to give him his second goal of the game at the 12th minute. Vaas would chip the ball over the defender in front of him just outside the box, to where Frederickson was running to so that he could take the shot from a more dangerous position which would make it 3 – 0 in the 24th minute. Vaas would complete his hattrick as he took a shot from 30 yards out that went just out of the keepers reach and into the top corner to make the scoreline 4 – 0. On the verge of half time their lead would be extended once again as a header from Kon would convert a corner in the 45 + 1 minute of added time. The first half ended 5 – 0, a dominating performance over a 10 man side, and Ulstome looked like they would not make the mistake of their last game against Lanceria, this time they would be out to score more.

As the second half started Lorbank looked to be a much more dangerous team, as the second half went underway it was Lorbank who was on the attack, making dangerous runs and taking their opportunities and soon they had scored to give them one goal back after their disappointing first half. However, their hopes for an apparent start of a comeback would quickly be dashed out as Zickmer had got behind the lines with a ball very similar to how Ulstome had scored their first. He ran forward then took his time to mislead the keeper that he was going left before rounding him on his right. Before he could get the shot off Peter Kali slid him out from behind with no contact on the ball, for this he was sent off and now Lorbank only had 9 men whilst Ulstome had a penalty which could make the scoreline 6 – 1. Stepping up for the penalty Vaas was ready, he ran forward and hit the ball with power rather than go for accuracy, the ball smashed into the top corner, and he again had extended his teams lead. Lorbank defended well for the remainder of the second half, only a cut back from Ivasno to Vaas who then score would see them convert only 1 more goal during the half. As the game finished the result was 7 – 1. Eric Vaas had shown why he was considered the best plyer on the team as he assisted one goal but scored 5 for himself. No one had expected that when the game started but Ulstome had managed to do it. This result put them at the top of Group E and guaranteed the teams qualification even if they lost their next game.

RAP Sport

Group Stage recap: Which teams have qualified, and which teams are out?

SAINTES -- Every team has now played two matches, enough to guarantee qualification for some, and elimination for others. We bring you an analysis of who's in and who's out.

Prydania
The first team to secure its ticket for the knockout stages, the Harts have hit the ground running, putting in convincing performances against Mansani and Tardine, scoring seven and conceding two.
Their youthful lineup has fought its way to the top of the group, though, they could lose that spot, should they lose their final group game to Zhen. Nevertheless, their spot in the last 16 is guaranteed.

Predice
In a similar position are our very own Golden Eagles. They have hit the ground running this tournament, having managed to score ten goals, while conceding just thrice in matches against Vallia and Xentherida. They are currently on top of Group D, but could still go down to second place, should they lose their last game against Makopa. Nevertheless, Predice's place in the last 16 is also secure.

Ulstome
Having quite spectacularly beaten Lorbank 7-1, the Rams have also secured their place in the last 16, with ten goals and just two conceded. Ulstome's tremendous performance leave them all but guaranteed to top the group, even if they lose their last group game, unless Lanceria can bring out an unheardof win, or Ulstome loses in a shocking fashion.

Mintoria
Mintoria too has guaranteed itself a spot in the last 16, currently on top of Group B, they could go down to second place, but no further, and thus have no chance of losing out in their spot in the last 16. Mintoria has beaten 2019 champions Goyanes rather spectacularly, and has won against Yalkan rather convincingly as well.

Shenghua

Shenghua has also made its spot in the last 16 certain, all that remains to settle, is weather or not it will top the group, or remain second. It has put in a heroic performance against 2019 champions Goyanes, and a convincing, if not quite dominant performance against Yalkan.

Saintonge
The Red Devils started the tournament convincingly, with a 2-0 win over Skanda, but were unable to beat resilient Aydin, battling them to a draw.
They currently sit atop a very competitive Group C, and still have a chance of missing out on qualification to the knockout stage, however, this is unlikely, and they will probably top Group C, in a World Cup held on home soil.

Syrixia
Syrixia started the tournament with a frustrating goalless draw against Iraelia. Their second game was a far more convincing win over Esthursia, leaving them on top of Group F on the slightest of goal difference margins. Though qualification is not assured, it is likely, and should the Lions win their last game against Naizerre, poor performers at this World Cup finals, their knockout stage slot would be all but guaranteed.

Iraelia
Coming hot on the Lions' heels is Iraelia, second in the group by goal difference alone. They started with a 0-0 draw against Syrixia, a deeply frustrating start for the Lions, but a sign of good things for the Iraelians, who managed to shock Naizerre, giving themselves a strong second place in the group, which is by no means secure, but is still a huge achievement.

Zhen
A strong second place side, Zhen haven't quite guaranteed a knockout stage spot, but have made it likely, even if they drop to third place. They gave off a strong performance against Mansani, and drew with Tardine.

Skanda
Despite starting poorly against Saintonge, the Wayfinders have now found a way, and have beaten the Suavidici quite convincingly. The Wayfinders still have a very real chance of topping Group C, should they win their final game against Aydin, and all they would need is a defeat or a draw for the Red Devils in their final game, putting them atop Group C.

Makopa
The Angas find themselves placed second in Group D. They beat Xentherida, and drew Vallia, leaving themselves in a very strong position. They too have a chance of topping thier group, needing a victory against Predice, which would propel them to the top.

Lanceria
Les Chasseurs have little hope of topping their group, but can be confident in finishing in a secure second place. They lost their opener to Ulstome, and now Ulstome's shocking win has propelled them to a near invincible top position in their group. Les Chasseurs have pulled off a convincing win over Essalanea, and now need a win, or even draw against Lorbank to finish second.

Tardine
The Emperor's Lions need a win in their final game to have a chance at a last 16 spot. Currently on just one point following a hard draw against Zhen, and a loss to Prydania, the Emperor's Lions have to rely on tiny margins to get them through.

Goyanes
Big Blue, Champions of the World in 2019 are on the edge of an ignominious group-stage exit. They have been quite thoroughly washed out by Shenghua and Mintoria. Their last group match against Yalkan is a must win for Goyanes to have a chance of making the last 16. Big Blue are in third place purely thanks to their goal difference being better than Yalkan's.

Aydin
The Gilded Wolves stand a chance at topping the group still, with a win against Skanda meaning that they would need a loss from Saintonge against the Suavidici to top the group. The Gilded Wolves have so far been relatively unremarkable, having ground out a point against Saintonge, and Suavidici.

Vallia
The Mountaineers have a 4-1 defeat in their opener, and a 2-2 draw against Makopa behind them. They still have a chance at second place, however. They need a win against Xentherida, and then it is just a matter of hoping that Makopa loses to Predice spectacularly enough.

Lorbank
The Cranes have very much had an up and down tournament. Their opener was a relatively simple 1-0 win over Essalanea, but their second game was a blowout defeat to Ulstome. This leaves Lorbank in a difficult position, but they can still come second by beating Lanceria in their final group game.

Esthursia
The Stags had a strong start to the tournament by beating Naizerre, but then took a 2-0 loss against Syrixia. Nevertheless, they still have a chance of topping the group. They would need to defeat Iraelia in their final match, and then all they would need is either a draw or a loss for Syrixia against Naizerre.

Mansani
The Scorpions have had a rotten tournament thus far, and desperately need a win, to have a chance at making the last 16. They lost quite spectacularly to Prydania, and then lost to Zhen as well. Their last game against Tardine will be a crucial one for both sides, to determine who has a chance at going through, and who will have to go home early.

Yalkan
The Diving Dippers have been defeated twice, but they still have a glimmer of hope for making the last 16. They need a win against Goyanes to have a chance at going through. Both Big Blue and the Diving Dippers need a win.

Suavidici
The Legionaries fought Aydin to a draw but lost against Skanda, leaving them in need of a win, and a loss for Aydin to have a chance to qualify for the last 16.

Xentherida
The Flames remain without points after two games against Predice and Makopa. They now need a win to have a chance at making the last 16.

Essalanea
The Scarlet Horde needs a win in its last game to make it to third place on goal difference. They have so far been beaten by Lanceria and Lorbank, a win against Ulstome looks unlikely.

Naizerre
The Golden Ibis needs a win desperately, to have a chance at making the last 16. Their hope now is, that they manage to beat Syrixia, and that Esthursia loses quite heavily, to make third place.

Conclusion
The World Cup is far from over for any team, as everyone still has a hope of making the last 16. This will make for some interesting football in the days ahead.

“S-See..? They won, four-two! Have a little faith in me!”

Kitano flashed a nervous grin, holding his hands up defensively. Beads of sweat rolled down his face. Not just because he was incredibly nervous, he also just didn’t own an air conditioner in his office. But mostly that first thing.

“Yeah. Sure.” The tall man standing in Kitano’s office looked away for a moment towards the TV, which was still showing the celebrating Skandans after their win over Suavidici. “…We’ll put it down as a lucky guess, Tayōda-san.* You get to keep your fingers today.” The thin, wiry man looked back to Kitano. His balding hair and big round glasses reminded Kitano of his boss from when he was still a salaryman.
“You were going to cut off my fingers if they had lost?”

“Me? Gods no. That’s why I brought Makoto-san.” He stuck a thumb over his shoulder before holding the door open. In the main room of Kitano’s convenience store, lit by harsh white overhead lights, was a much bigger and rougher man. Totally bald, wearing a nicely tailored suit. He looked like he could’ve been a sumo wrestler at some point. His partially unbuttoned shirt revealed just the very edges of what was clearly a heavily tattooed body.

“Makes sense you wouldn’t do your own dirty work, Takeshi- er, Hatsuno-sama.”**
“Watch your tongue, Tayōda-san, or we might just take that too.” There was a pause. Kitano wasn’t sure if that was a bad joke or a serious threat.

“Only joking. But really, take one look at me— Do you really think I would be doing dirty work? I’m far too old for that. Use your brain, man. Anyways, Makoto-san will be back tomorrow night. Make sure you have all of your betting money paid out to you in cash, and sealed in an envelope. Write your name on the back. Black ink. If I see red ink, or blue ink, or gods forbid pencil lead, I’ll have Makota break one of your ribs. Maybe two. The boss likes blank ink. Make this nice and easy for everyone, will you Tayōda-kōhai?”*** He took a deep breath, smiling innocently to Kitano. “…Have a pleasant evening, Tayōda-san. I’ll see you on the 13th.” Takeshi turned on his heels, black wingtips clicking against the linoleum floor as he fixed his tie before exiting his office. “Go on Makoto-san, take whatever candy you like. He knows better than to charge us.” The office door swung shut. Through the small glass window on his door that Kitano had stepped in front of could he see the big man take a king-sized candy bar, a beer stick, and a… fashion magazine. One of those things was not like the other. A few seconds later with an electric ding the sliding doors closed, and the two men left.

Kitano crashed into his leather chair, exhaling loudly as it rolled backwards. He ran a hair through his graying hair. “Gods what a fucking idiot I am!” He looked back to the screen. “All this over a damn car crash…” Only a couple weeks ago, his life had been fantastic. Then he had accidentally rear ended an umaiha boss. Not just any umaiha boss either, but the Oyasama^ of the Kusuhana-gūmi. He was one of the most powerful men in Izu^^, so of course he was being driven in an incredibly expensive car that Kitano could never hope to pay for, and they couldn’t exactly turn to insurance and now he had Takeshi, one of his lower ranking lieutenants and a snake of a man, constantly watching him and just waiting for the moment Kitano fucked up to stroke.

He put a lot of money on the World Cup, it seemed like a decent bet— Skanda wins a few games and then he’s able to pay it all off… but then the Skandans lost their first game. He had to practically beg Takeshi not to break his knees a few days ago. Thank the gods they had won this one. He really needed them to keep winning. He very much preferred to keep all of his fingers. Kitano hadn’t even told his wife yet— She would’ve either killed him herself, or drank herself to death from anxiety. Neither outcomes were preferable.

…Kitano needed a drink.

*-san is a suffix roughly translating to Mr. or Mrs.
**-sama is a much more formal version of -san used for people of high rank and high respect. Because this is in Skanda he’s also addressing him by his last name first.
***-kōhai is typically used by a senior to refer a junior, though is actually rarely used as a suffix because it can be seen as very condescending or rude, since you’d be calling someone out as less experienced. Since that was Takeshi’s intended purpose, it’s what he used, but it’s rare in actual Skandan conversations.
^ The boss. Like, the boss. They’re basically the godfather, though in this case it more accurately translates to “parent lord”.
^^ A city in western Skanda, the 4th largest city in the country after Koshihama, Kuhena, and Saitō.

Last edited:
BGFczVS.png

LIONS AGAINST SCORPIONS, WHO IS GOING TO BE THE WINNER?​

The last match of the Group Stage will decide the fate of both teams in the World Cup, losing isn't a option

htbxdwd.png

"After a bitter loss against Prydania (the game ended 3-1, with a goal in the 47" of the 2nd half), Tardine needs desperately to win if we want to stay going through on the Cup. The match against Mansani, however, will not be as easy as expected from the team that has lost its two matches, since they are on the same situation of us, Tardineannen.", said our football specialist, Waine Niera. "The Scorpions will be hard to beat but if we manage to win there's a good chance that we will be able to aim even higher later on."​
"Finally I was able to do my first goal in the World Cup!", says Torien Laderoch, our youngest player and striker (he just became 21). Torien was born in a small town near Kinbafa (5th largest city of Tardine), and started playing at age 8. His professional career has just started, but he already is a well-know player and is making great progress in the team. There are many hopes across the country upon this young guy, specially from his parents: "I'm so proud of my handsome son, he is one of the best players of the country!", said his mother, Rionne Laderoch, to us yesterday.​
We asked the Regnant, Werdoi Danfeh, about what he thinks about the team's performance in the few last games and he said: "Why did we even have to pay so those bad players could go to the World Cup? They suck so much at football that it makes me angry! In the old days, yes, those were the days, Tardine's team was so much better than now. Allowing the poor and ugly kids to play? They really got crazy!", with this shout he ended his speech.​
However, when we asked the royal heir, Erianne Partei Kladerai, about what she thought about the Emperor's Lions last games, she said: "I'm so excited to see them in action, but I'm unable to travel since Werdoi made me go to the doctors for a non existent disease. Anyway, I think that our national team can still do great things in the Cup, we just need to find the right rhythm and keep going. My speech to the players is: do your best, go Emperor's Lions!", and with that inspiring speech, Erianne went home.​
What do you, esteemed reader, think about the teams efforts? Do you think our team needs to focus more on staying in the cup? Comment your thoughts below, or on the Twitcher using our @tardineanniRoial.​

Last edited on 21-09, 14:45

Comment Section:

Results131.png

Zhen 0:4 Prydania
(0:4)

Mansani 1:4 Tardine
(3:1)

Results132.png

Suavidici 0:4 Saintonge
(0:4)

Aydin 0:2 Skanda
(0:1)

EJF5Q0J.png

Santonian soccer squad stomps Suavidici side in Saintes

by Gérard-Hugues Barbizet in Saintes
14 September 2021 - 0032h

SAINTES – the game on Saturday saw the Santonian soccer squad squash the Suavidici side in Saintes, sending the Legionnaires home after its tough battles in Group C. The Red Devils won 4 goals to nil, piling on points early on in the game, to proceed leisurely in the second half.

Kévin-Ardouin Cremillieux started off early with a goal at the 8th minute. Cremillieux cut in from the left, parried off two Suavidic defenders, and fired in low. Tristan-Lambert Saint-Huile doubled Saintonge’s points at the 16th minute by heading the ball in.

During the middle of the first half, the ball was mostly in Suavidic possession, but the Red Devils’ midfielders constantly bedevilled the Legionnaires, wresting possession a few times. As the midfield battle intensified, at the 30th minute Coach Frédéric Janvion replaced defender Charles-Adam Witz with Timothée Chiarisoli, who had shone in the game against Aydin.

Chiarisoli promptly joined the midfield feud, helping Thorbjörn Kjellander to finally wrest the ball from the Purples and drive it deep into the Suavidici back end. Kévin-Ardouin Cremillieux tapped in the ball on the 38th minute following a brilliant pass from Tristan-Lambert Saint-Huile.

With a 3-0 lead, Coach Janvion made a careful substitution to give experience to newcomers. Odinspylique de Ratisbonne striker Benjamin-Timothée Röthlisberger was sent in at the 42nd minute, and completely surprised the stadium with a goal on his first minute on the pitch, quickly turning the ball in with a backheel strike off a Jonathan Jeandupeux pass. This is Röthlisberger’s first goal as a player for les Diables Rouges, something that the team happily celebrated on the pitch.

The second half was a more languid affair. With a four-goal lead, Coach Janvion felt free to replace goalkeeper Bruno-Patrice Cuisance with AJ St Tobie de Coire goalkeeper Thibault-Ragnar Guttormsen, who, like Röthlisberger, will be his first time playing on the pitch as a part of Santonian National Team.

There was a moment of scare for the Santonians in the middle of the second half as the Legionnaires sped past Steenstrup and Kjellander to wind up the ball at the Santonian back. Brice-Maximin Grimont unceasingly harried the Suavidic strikers. Guttormsen showed his mettle on the 74th minute by diving to save a low kick from the Suavidici striker, but that was the only save he had to make.

Chiarisoli and Kjellander dove back into the Santonian defence line and extricated the ball back to front. Matthieu-Donatien Kerbriant’s two attempted goals were both saved by the Suavidic goalkeeper, and Kévin-Ardouin Cremillieux’s attempt at the 86th minute was ruled out by the referee. Vice-captain Jonathan Jeandupeaux opted not to appeal, as the Santonians already won convincingly, 0-4.

Saintonge finished at the top of Group C with two wins and one draw, earning them a berth in the Round of 16. Their next game will be against Iraelia at Beaune on 30 September.

Santonian Team
Starters

GK 1 Bruno-Patrice Cuisance ↓56’
RB 13 Joël-Gilbert Duranton
CB 3 Charles-Adam Witz ↓30’
LB 15 Brice-Maximin Grimont
RM 5 Brice-Baudouin Schaerlaekens
CM 8 Hugberg Steenstrup
CM 6 Thorbjörn Kjellander
LM 5 Jonathan Jeandupeux
RW 18 Matthieu-Donatien Kerbriant
CF 9 Tristan-Lambert Saint-Huile ↓42’
LW 7 Kévin-Ardouin Cremillieux

Substitutions
CB 14 Timothée Chiarisoli ↑30’
CF 22 Benjamin-Timothée Röthlisberger ↑42’
GK 23 Thibault-Ragnar Guttormsen ↑56’

7yMkDbr.png

translation by Hunter Kidlington de Collobrières
14 September 2021 - 0755h

OOC Note: Post approved by @Ianmey7 .

Last edited:
sOVELF3.png

KANAL 3 SPORT

Player spotlight: Michael Bremen-Reidel

Birthplace: Glaienbeck, Rabensburg
Team: FV Rabensburg
Position: Midfielder

Michael Bremen-Riedel was born in Glaienbeck, on 6 April 1996c, to Dieter Bremen and Anna Riedel. A single child, Bremen started playing football at age 5, when he join the amateur club Stierbrücken Glaienbeck, where his father was chairman was of the club. At age 12, he joined the Glaienbeck-Frankenhoven FV, where he first started as a forward before moving on to become a goalkeeper. After making strides in the team, he was signed on to FV Rabensburg.

He made his senior professional debut in the Central Football League (Mittelreichisches Zentrale Fußballliga, MZF) on April 2014, where he would first play against FV Mergenthiem. He would score his first goal in his team’s 3-4 victory in that match. Bremen would perform well in the 2014–2015 season, and prove himself once more during the 2019–2020 season.

This World Cup is the first time Bremen has competed internationally. When asked about how he felt, he comment: “It’s a great honour. I’ve never done this before, but I’m confident that I can do it.”

5184.jpg

Last edited:
qrdRu3U.jpg

Harts Sweep Group A 11-2 Over Three Games
by Ketill Oien

Saintes- Some criticized Coach Jakob Höj for shifting Prydania's lineup around for the final group game against Zhen. Others said it was a good chance to get bench players some playing time. Some even argued a loss to Zhen wouldn't matter. The team had already qualified for the final sixteen. Was seeding that important?

It turns out it was much ado about nothing. Prydania cruised to a 4-0 victory over Zhen, netting all goals in the first half and closing out Group A early with an uneventful final forty-five and change.

Prydania's 4-0 victory gives Thomas Höyer a shutout and brings Prydania's goal differential to +9. That's best in the tournament so far, though Predice is +7 with a game to go.

Rotating the Roster

Coach Höj shifted the starting lineup by switching Tjörvi Hagtvedt out for Bertram Abildgaard, Kurt Mörch for Freddy Holst, and Stig Kallesen for Röskvi Svane.
Abildgaard scored in the 12th minute in what ended up being the game winner. Peter Bach scored in the 16th from a pass from Holst, before the captain took a break. He was rotated out for Johan Fuglsang.
Toke Rognlien was rotated for Mark Seip at the 47th minute and Þorbjörn Vinþer came in for Eyjólfur Kolstad at the 52nd minute.

These second half rotations came when the game was already at hand. Fulsang took a pass from Abildgaard to score in the 33rd minute and Kristoffer Krog scored from midfield in the 40th.

The bench players who got playing time were able to show their stuff and stick to the Prydanian game plan.

"I was excited to play," Toke Rognlien said.
"Coach has everyone buying into his game. And it's worked for us. So I've been sitting there going 'I know I can do this too, I'm doing drills in my sleep!' So I get out there and it's just natural."

The Round of Sixteen

By advancing to the round of sixteen Prydania has matched the 2019 team. That team, who was hoping for a better showing, was eliminated by Skanda.

With most groups not yet done with their games who Prydania will play as the top seed from Group A remains to be seen. They're scheduled to face the third seed either from Group C, D, or E. That leaves some interesting possibilities.

Aydin- Like Group A, Group C has completed its games and Aydin has locked in the third slot. Aydin is a tenacious team that won't ever say die.

Vallia- The current third place team in Group D, though lacking a win and with a -3 goal differential.

Lorbank- The current third place team in Group E, with one win and a -5 goal differential. Lorbank is a talented, if inconsistent, team. They may very well swap with...

Lanceria- Lanceria is a talented team sitting at number two in E, with a game to go. Like Lorbank they have one win and a loss. They're ahead on goal differential, sitting at -1 to -5. These teams can easily swap depending on how the final Group E games go. Lanceria is a talented team with a history of success, and has given Prydania problems on the pitch before.

So who is team captain Peter Bach ready to face?

"We have our game plan, our system," Bach said. "We'll adjust to whoever is put in front of us. We reached the summit in 2017 only to fall short. We barely got on the mountain in 2019. I don't know when we'll reach the summit again, but we start by climbing higher than we did two years ago."

Results141.png

Predice 5:1 Makopa
(4:1)

Xentherida 0:1 Vallia
(0:0)

Results142.png

Mintoria 3:1 Shenghua
(0:0)

Goyanes 3:1 Yalkan
(1:0)

Scorinations done by @BritishBayonet

Last edited:
EJF5Q0J.png

Player Spotlight: Benjamin-Timothée Röthlisberger

14 September 2021 - 1020h

Q64fm20.png

Name: Benjamin-Timothée Röthlisberger
Birthdate and birthplace: 10 December 1999, Saint-Martin-de-Lauter (Lauter)
Team: Odinspylique de Ratisbonne
Position: Forward

Benjamin-Timothée Röthlisberger scored his first goal as a Santonian international in the game against the Suavidici yesterday. But he would’ve been a pilot or an aeronautical engineer if he hadn’t been a footballer. Airplanes had been a part of family lore.

“My father was a Gottian Air Force Pilot, but he hated Himdoch,” Röthlisberger related. “He pretended to go with the regime, but secretly he was plotting to escape, along with another airman.” Benjamin-Timothée Röthlisberger is the son of Thorsten Röthlisberger, one of the two Hessunlander pilots involved in the “Great Gottian Getaway” of 1986.

In September 1986, Röthlisberger’s father and his airman friend snuck their families into a fully-fuelled Gottian Air Force plane and flew out of the country. Not confident of being granted asylum in a nearby country on the same continent, the pair flew across the Ember Sea, dodging planes sent to catch them who thought it was a prelude to a Gottian invasion. After running out of fuel and being intercepted by the Royal Santonian Air Force, the pair landed on a wheat field in Roscanvel-le-Cap (Côtes-du-Nord) in northwestern Saintonge. It provoked some sort of diplomatic crisis between Saintonge and Gottia; Saintonge granted asylum to the pilots but returned the plane to Gottia.

Thorsten Röthlisberger then worked in civil aviation at the Ratisbonne-Bavière Airport in Saint-Martin-de-Lauter, where he met his Santonian wife. Benjamin-Timothée is their youngest child. “Ben-Tim” showed promise in football at a young age, and so he was enrolled in the youth academy of Odinspylique de Ratisbonne. Röthlisberger rose up from the youth team to the senior team after finishing his National Service. He now is Odinspylique de Ratisbonne’s main striker after the retirement of Kilian-Étienne Pfliegersdoerffer; Röthlisberger was one of the top ten scorers in the last season of the Première Ligue. This was noticed by coach Frédéric Janvion and he was called up for the 2021 World Cup – his first stint in representing his country. His Hessunlander grandparents broached the idea of representing Hessunland, but Röthlisberger said that “while I acknowledge my Hessunlander heritage, I am Santonian through and through… I can’t even speak Gottian!”

14 September 2021 - 1322h

Last edited:
Ready for Revenge

Ulstome has blown past the sides it had faced throughout the group stages of Group E in the World Cup so far.

Their first game had seen them face up once again against Lanceria, who’s win against was pivotal for Ulstome’s qualification out of the group stages in the last World Cup, which would prove to be again an important game for both teams. Ulstome would give a strong performance for their opening game netting themselves 3 goals to secure a 3 – 1 win over Lanceria, not as good as their previous matchup where they beat Lanceria 3 – 0 but an excellent start on their journey all the same. With the momentum behind them from their first win and some changes to the lineup the boys would dismantle Lorbank with an unexpected 7 – 1 win which would practically cement them as the leaders of Group E. Despite the teams incredibly goal scoring ability they had yet to maintain a clean sheet in any of their games.

Now as the last game of the group stages approached it would be another matchup from the last world cup. Ulstome had qualified at the top of their group in Goyanes where they faced Esselanea in the round of 16. It had ended in disaster with a sole Esselanean goal proving to be the decider of the game and sending Ulstome’s team home well before their expectation would have been to achieve. Now they would face Esselanea again, it would be an important game for both team, a win or draw for Ulstome guarantees themselves the top position whilst Esselanea would need to bring out a dramatic win if they hope to qualify in a third place position.

From what we have seen of Esselanea’s performance so far Ulstome could feel confident in their ability to see out the game with a win as Esselanea has suffered a 1 – 0 loss to Lorbank and then suffered yet another defeat with a 3 – 1 loss to Lanceria. They had yet to achieve a single point so far and only scored 1 goal yet had conceded 4. That is exactly what would make them so dangerous on the last game, they had 0 point so would do everything they could to win and qualify whilst Ulstome with 2 wins would need to be careful they did not get overconfident for they would be punished if they did. All eyes from Ulstome will be watching as they look to see if their team will avenge their previous defeat and to see which team they would play as the results from the last days games are played out.

Interview with Vaas

After the match against Lorbank UNN was conducting post-match interviews on the side of the pitch near the entrance to the teams tunnel.

Q: I am joined here with Eric Vaas, Captain of Ulstome’s National Team.

V: Thank you for having me.

Q: What a performance that you gave here tonight, your second game of this tournament and you second win. How are you feeling after that result?

V: Well.. umm.. it was a very exciting game and I gave it 100% like I would any other game and we brought out quite a win so of course I am very happy about that, especially for the you players who had their tournament debuts and showed that they were more than capable, im very happy for them.

Q: You had quite the performance out there yourself, five goals and an assist in this match alone. How amazing must you feel?

V: It’s a fantastic feeling, to score that goal at I believe it was 5 minutes into the game from that free kick to give use the start was really good. Their substitution of Penzesh really freed me up to just do what I wanted to do in that number 10 position so I could do a lot more for the team. Umm.. my assist to Frederickson I was also very happy with since it showed how well we all work as a team that he could trust me for him to make that run and I could just chip the ball over to him to score so im really happy about that.

Q: There was a lot of discussion between you and the other players when you were awarded the penalty decision. Would you care to elaborate on what you all said?

V: Yeah, so as you know Zickmer was the one who got us the penalty, but he was quite out of breath after his run and then had he wind knocked out of him after being taken down so were talking to him to see if he felt good enough to take the penalty. He very unselfishly said no so we had to decide who would take the penalty. Ivasno and Frederickson had come over to me by the penalty spot and they decided that they wanted to me to get another goal so it was decided that I would take the penalty. I scored and extended our lead, thankfully, if I missed it would have been quite a different conversation after as I would be very disappointed.

Q: Now about your next game. You were part of the Ulstome side that was knocked out by Esselanea in the last world cup. How do you feel going up against them again?

V: Im not to worried, obviously they were the better team last time we played but we have improved and made ourselves much better as a unit with lots of new young players in the team. Esselanea has lost their last 2 games of the group against opponents that we have beaten so im far from worried about our chances.

Q: Thank you, Good luck!

V: Cheers mate.

Results151.png

Lanceria 1:1 Lorbank
(0:1)

Ulstome 3:1 Essalanea
(2:1)

Results152.png

Iraelia 2:2 Esthursia
(2:1)

Syrixia 3:2 Naizerre
(1:1)

3rd Place Team Qualification
Top 4 teams go through.
They play in inverse order against the best 1st placed teams.

NationWin/Loss/DrawGoals ForGoals AgainstGoal DifferencePointsPositionQualified
Ethursia1/1/134-141stYes
Zhen1/1/158-342ndYes
Makopa1/1/147-343rdYes
Lorbank1/1/138-544thYes
Goyanes1/0/236-335thNo
Aydin0/2/113-226thNo

EJF5Q0J.png

Player Spotlight: Tristan-Lambert Saint-Huile

15 September 2021 - 1602h

dzvITid.png

Name: Tristan-Lambert Saint-Huile
Birthdate and birthplace: 7 October 1992, Lans-l’Hermitage (Lisle)
Team: AS Beaucaire
Position: Forward

Tristan-Lambert Saint-Huile was born in the Saintes suburb of Lans-l’Hermitage to a middle-class family. “But we’re not Stade de Saintes fans,” he related, “we were Saintes-Saints-Brice fans, even though we’re not rich and we’re not of the nobility.”*

The reason why they supported the posh team was that the Stade-Saints-Brice was nearby, along the road from Longjumeau to Saintes that passes by Lans-l’Hermitage. And for the Lantiers, it was their local big team.

“I remember attending SSBFC games as a kid, and people there were really posh,” Saint-Huile recalled. “I said to myself: one day I will play there.”

SSBFC used to have previous policy of nurturing only the aspiring footballers in its social class, and so “I probably wouldn’t be selected,” said Saint-Huile. But by the year 2005, SSB changed its policy, thanks to the trailblazing Brice-Cédric Charbonneau, the poor kid who proved the snobby rich wrong. Saint-Huile was one of first to be admitted to SSBFC’s football academy under the new policy. And he got one of the best to train him.

“I trained under Cédric,” said Saint-Huile with a wide grin. “Imagine, my football idol, one of the best players in Saintonge, someone who helped won Saintonge's first World Cup ever, dedicating time to teach me!” Saint-Huile stayed in SSBFC’s youth teams until he turned eighteen. After his National Service, Saint-Huile was promoted to the senior team and played alongside his mentor Charbonneau.

When Charbonneau retired in 2014, Saint-Huile stayed on in SSBFC until he transferred in 2019 to AS Beaucaire, another team with a posh reputation. His transfer from a wealthy team to another wealthy team broke transfer records in Saintonge, and this was not undeserved. In the last Première Ligue season, Saint-Huile was the player with the greatest number of goals.

Saint-Huile has been a les Diables Rouges regular since 2009, with 25 goals under his belt. Nicknamed “the Slick” (a pun on his surname, as Huile means “oil” in Santonian), he is now the most senior striker in the national team. He has been training and nurturing the younger ones like what Charbonneau did to him. “In both practice and in the games, Tristan always emphasises teamwork and communication, and not to be greedy with the ball,” said Santonian international Matthieu-Donatien Kerbriant. “It’s not about personal glory, it’s about winning for the team and the country.”

Kévin-Ardouin Cremillieux, another Santonian international: “Tristan told us: ‘It’s not important how many goals you make, but how many goals the team makes.’ And I’d say that’s good advice.”

16 September 2021 - 0832h

*OOC Note: In Saintes, football supporters stereotypically tend to break along class lines. Saintes-Saints-Brice FC is typically supported by the wealthy and the nobility; Stade de Saintes by middle-class fans; and the workers usually support En Avant Saintes.

Last edited:
RAP Sport

Mancini and Rossi each bag two as Predice beats Makopa

AURIGNY -- Predice finished its unbeaten group stage run against Makopa, winning 5-1.

Pre-match
The Golden Eagles were confident in victory, and this shined through in the pre-match press conference and interviews before the match.
Matteo Mancini, Predice's top goalscorer at this world cup told us: "You know, we're not here to prat about, we are here to take the last three points, and top the group."
Head Coach Frederico Bastoni said in the prematch press conference: "We are looking to keep our top spot secure, so that we can go and have an easier time in the round of 16"

First half
The first half, unlike the last two matches, started well. Rossi opened the scoring for Predice in the 13th minute, heading in an excellent corner from Mancini into the back of the net. Mancini followed up in the 17th minute from an excellent Rossi cross from the left, managing to put the ball in the back of the net. The Makopan response came in the 22nd minute, as their striker found the back of the net from a corner. The Golden Eagles wasted no time, as in the 26th minute, a pass from from Di Giorgis found Rossi, who scored his second about 20 meters out. The closing minutes of the first half saw one more goal, as Carlo Ancelotti scored his second goal of the World Cup in the 44th minute, following an excellent pass from Deschamps. The score in the first half was 4-1. The Golden Eagles also had some missed chances, such as in the 4th minute when Mancini blasted a golden chance straight over the bar, and in the 35th minute, when a Di Giorgis shot was blocked by a Makopan centre-back. The first half set the stage for a sterile, boring, and largely defensive second half.

Second half
The second half started strong, when, in the 47th minute, Mancini dribbled the ball past the Makopan defence, and beat the goalkeeper, making it 5-1. The rest of the half was, for the most part, highly defensive. The Golden Eagles had just two tries on goal the whole half. One ended in a goal, and the other was a missed shot from Di Giorgis. The Makopans had one attempt on goal, in the 78th minute, which was blocked by Bianchi. The second half wasn't the explosive 45 minutes many hoped it to be, and Predice retained its huge lead with relative ease.

Post-match
The Golden Eagles finished their group stage run in style, though yet again failing to keep a clean sheet. The explosive combination of Mancini and Rossi ran laps around the Makopan defence, leading to five goals. In total then, Predice scored 15 goals in three matches. That is on average an incredible five goals a match. Though failing to keep a clean sheet even once, the Golden Eagles proved their threat in the group stage. Predice's next matchup is against a third ranked side, meaning a potentially easier time.

qrdRu3U.jpg

Prydania vs Makopa Set to Kick Off Knockout Realm
by Ketill Oien

Saintes- Makopa it is! The Prydanian national team will face Makopa to kick off the knockout stage of the 2021 World Cup. Makopa, the third place team in Group D, qualified in part because of Goyanes and Aydin failing to qualify, setting up an elimination round without the World Champions to defend their title.

Continuing Momentum

Makopa will end up playing a Prydanian team that had a +9 goal differential over a three game win stretch in the group stage. The question is whether or not the Harts can continue that momentum. Peter Bach, the team Captain, remembers two years ago when Prydania bowed out at the start of the knockout stage.

"Two years ago we were playing recklessly. We didn't have confidence in ourselves. We were trying to overcompensate," the Captain said.
"This year we're playing very disciplined, very good football. I feel good about our game. I think everyone else does too."

The Captain is right. Goaltender Tom Höyer agrees.

"I'm locked in and focused. The knockouts are huge. I'm ready," he said, coming off of a shutout against Zhen in the final Group stage game. Is he giddy?

"Giddy? No," he laughs.
"Just focused and eager."

Starting Lineup

Coach Jakob Höj made a number of substations and changes to the starting lineup for the last game of the group stage. It looks to be a hybrid of the various roster rollouts.

Tom Höyer will continue to start in goal.

Stig Kallesen, Storm Bendixen, Þorbjörn Vinþer, and Eyjólfur Kolstad will start on defence.

Toke Rognlien, Kurt Mörch, Mark Seip, and Ernst Berner will start in the midfield.

Peter Bach and Tjörvi Hagtvedt will lead the attack.

"Everyone knows to do their jobs," Coach Höj said.
"Every player on this team was picked because we in the Federation believe they can represent this country at the highest level of competition. Every player we have is an arrow in our quiver. We're not going to be shy about using them."

One Game at a Time

"We're not thinking about after Makopa. We're focused on that game, and we're going to play our best for that game," Bach said.

"If we move on we'll focus on the next game. One game at a time. We don't want to get overwhelmed by the scope of the tournament."

Staying focused on the task at hand has been key to the Harts' success so far.

"We have a young team. Some people say they're too young. So I told them not to worry about it," Coach Höj said.

"Every game is just that. One game. Just go out and play one football game. And then onto the next one."

Prydania faces off against Makopa on 30 September live from Loudun.

Herald.png

Stags shuffle lineup of the game
After a roaring start, the Stags have since plateaued and seen by some to even have become the underdogs. Can Aston pull it back?

Swapping out Irvensson for Jumping while moving Dunstable up to the main striker - seen by some as a "risky" move to say the least, but after a sliding performance record, and a qualification only assured by third place ranking, Aston's seen by many to be taking a risk that is well needed. Other moves include Lannust replacing Alezhin, and Southboke replacing Wellesley; the lineup for this match will be younger, fresher-faced and will include some of the rising stars - particularly Jumping and Southboke - who have already made a name for themselves in the leagues.

The energy behind the team, however, hasn't abated - even despite two arguably disappointing results in a row and Esthursia only making it through by the skin of its teeth. Many were found in a peculiar situation where they celebrated what was called a "victorious defeat", whereby they lost while also guaranteeing a place in the round of 16 - however Aston knew something needed changing, and he's gone and changed it as much as we've seen so far.

Aston announced the new lineup, stating:
"We're bringing the energy and the rising stars into our lineup and making sure that we've got what it takes to take on the best. There's no room for being prudent, there's only room for making history."

Will the new lineup be up to the task and bring the Stags back to their fiery start? We'll soon find out, and the fans will be waiting.

Three for Three

On the 15th of September marked the final night of group E, it was still all to play for as every team would be fighting to secure themselves their place in the last 16 of the World Cup. The night would mark an almost perfect end to Ulstome as they would see themselves securely at the top of the group with an impressive goal total with a positive goal difference of 10 goals across all three of their group stage matches.

Their final game saw them face off against their last world cup opponents Essalanea. With the defeat 2 years ago in extra time still a bad memory for many of the players who stepped onto the pitch once again to play for Ulstome but this time there was another intensity about the players, a fierce look on their faces, a look of revenge.

As kickoff began the match appeared as if it would be off to a rough start. Ulstome had always had an intensive forward press to apply pressure on the backline to win back possession high up the pitch but the first 15 minutes of the game the team was turned up to the next level, players were chasing the ball relentlessly as Essalanea tried to progress it up the pitch but was constantly forced to pass back to the defence. The Ulstome players showed no concerns with playing a physical game as they didn’t hesitate to commit the foul if an Essalanea player was able to get more than few seconds on the ball so that they could break down their attacks before they had begun. This saw almost the whole Ulstome midfield on single yellows by the 15-minute mark of the game. After the first 15 minutes they relaxed on their intense pressing as possession switched more into Ulstome’s favour, Hollerford and Monlerin pushed up the pitch with Fremsla pushing up from his position at left back to support from deep making Ulstome’s formation in possession around the final 3rd more of a narrow 3 – 2 – 2 – 3 with Fremsla brining width on the left wing ready to create an overlap to cross. The strong front 3 meant that the defensive midfeilders had no worries sending long balls forward for the forwards to play in the rest of the team off of.

Ulstome would score the opening goal of the game as Monkin would send a ball long to Hollerford who was waiting on the shoulder of the defensive line, getting away from his marker near the edge of the box he headed the ball not at goal but to Frederickson who was also running forward. Receiving the ball on his chest Frederickson decided not to shoot but past back to Vaas who was running into the box late who shot on their first touch to blast the ball with power into the bottom left-hand corner. Running towards the fans cheering after they had scored the opening goal of the game, he slid into the corner flag breaking it before the rest of his teammates joined him in celebration. Vaas would soon assist another as he sent a throughball through into the path of Monlerin who had lost his marker to get in behind the Essalanea line where he took his first touch to control the ball and move in onto his preferred foot before placing his shot at the far corner to send it past the keeper and put Ulstome 2 – 0 up. Essalanea would get a goal back to keep themselves in the game from an incredible strike by Durga Karg to make the scoreline 2 – 1 and keep Essalanean hopes to progress alive. The second half would only bring disappointment for Essalanea as Vaas would chip the ball over the defence to Frederickson who in turn would chip the keeper as he came out to meet him to extend Ulstome’s lead once again. When the final whistle blew the scoreline was 3 – 1 to Ulstome.

Ulstome had now won all 3 of their group stage games and scored 3 or more goals in each of their games. To their disappointment they had failed to maintain even 1 clean sheet with them conceding 1 goal in all 3 games showing that although their defense is good it still has it flaws. Ulstome has qualified at the top of Group E with 9 points, 13 goals scored and only 3 conceded to give them a goal difference of positive 10.

Walking through the tunnel he stepped onto the field bathed in bright lights at the Parc De Champagne in Provins, Saintonge. Almost without thinking he grabbed a ball on a rack by the field and dribbled it out towards one of the nets, making little flourishes along the way, and ending by kicking & arcing the ball into the net. He knew that history would be made here. His team would make it, he was sure of it. With stars like Mac Rebenac, Florent Harland, & Jules Roy the Lancerian National Team was poised to strike deep. Ready to capture a cup that had eluded them for more than a few years by now. The team would practice today and tomorrow begin the first of the elimination rounds against Vallia.

"Jacques!" he quickly snapped his attention to someone who had called his name. "We have lines to touch-up! You want to mess up a call at the World Cup because of a fucked up line? Let's go!" He jogged away from the net and caught up with his co-worker. The two of them had been planning this since the last cup. You see, Martine knew someone who worked at the company contracted for groundskeeping at a bunch of the big name stadiums in Saintogne and a good word (and a favour cashed in) landed them both seasonal jobs for the duration of the World Cup. For two university students studying in Saint-Cyr back in Lanceria, it was their best ticket into the games. Jacques dusted his hands on his pants, picked up his tools, and began to join Martine. At that moment, captain Florent Harland led a jog of Fabrice Laurent, then Marc-Andre Drouin, then Norris Joidion, and more of the Lancerian team onto the field for that day's practice. Jacques was quickly distracted again, stopping his work and watching the team casually pass and shoot with precision he could only dream of.

"Jacques!" someone lightly punched him in the arm. He again snapped his attention to Martine. "Look I know they're pretty cool but if we want to stay employed so we can watch all their games instead of just this one, we have to get to it."
"Okay! Okay! I'm here, I'm with you, I'm helping." he said.
"Sure you are." said Martine, rolling her eyes.

Last edited:
12 September 2021
8:04 pm
On a Sunday

Valence, Saintonge

"So how are you liking Valence?" Anne-Sophie asked as she sat across from Eyjólfur at a cafe.

They had just sat down, and after a bit of trouble, placed both orders. Eyjólfur blushed a bit. He knew enough Santonian to ask her out, and say some nice things, but...
He had his phone out, using Chercher to translate.

"Valence?" he asked, before typing what he wanted to say, occasionally glancing up at her sweet smile.

"It's..." he said the words in Santonian slowly... "very welcoming," he said with a nod and smile of his own.

"We have a fair bit of Prydanians here," Anne-Sophie replied.
"They are excited to have you guys here!"

Eyjólfur's smile widened. He tapped away on his phone.

"I'm so sorry...but I...don't know enough Santonian yet to not have my phone?"
He wasn't sure if he got that right but Anne-Sophie laughed and grinned, getting the meaning.

"It's ok! I'm very touched you learnt what you did!"

Eyjólfur nodded as the microphone picked up her response and translated before he typed his response into the translate box.

"The local...Prydanians...have been great! But so have the Santonians," he said, blushing.

"You're an easy team to like!" Anne-Sophie replied, nodding. She wanted to speak slowly so Eyjólfur had a chance to translate what she said.
"You're all respectful, and you're all very nice. People only say good things about you all. And some of you are a bit cute," she said with a cheeky smile. Eyjólfur blushed when the translator finished.

"We're cute?" he asked.

"Some of you," Anne-Sophie said with a wink. Eyjólfur blushed and chuckled. He began typing and breathed deep a bit. He felt his heart racing thanks to nerves.

"You are the..." he paused to sound the words out, "first Santonian I have met in person. You...showed me that...we...wouldn't be hated here."
He was blushing. And Anne-Sophie, understanding his very broken but tech-aided Santonian, understood why.

She smiled slightly. Part of her was curious. Eyjólfur was twenty, her age. It also meant he was one when the Prydanian Civil War broke out. Her curiosity had gotten the better of her a few visits to her parents' store in, and she'd searched him. All she could find, though, was where he was from, his roster page she couldn't read on Midland FC's website, and some international football prospect reports.
He likely lived through something trying due to the War, but what that was, well, she didn't know. And the reason it all came back to her now was because of what Eyjólfur had said.

"Our country has two hearts on the flag, but sadly there are some people who don't even have one. But I think you're a very nice person, and I think you must be very brave."

Eyjólfur looked down at his phone as what she said was translated into his native language. He felt something, his heart, flutter and twitch as he read. He felt like it was pushing up through his throat.
Anne-Sophie felt something too. He looked so...vulnerable. He just seemed very huggable in that moment.

"I'm really sorry if some fools said some nasty things, but I hope you can see that they don't represent most of us."

Eyjólfur slowly began to tap away before he began reading what Chercher Translate gave him...
"I think you're...very kind and beautiful," he said as he blushed.
"And you've...been....there...helping me see...I was an idiot....for assuming...bad things."

"You're not an idiot," she replied, seeing Eyjólfur grin at that as his phone translated for him.
"The idiots are the ones who yell at people all day on social media."

Eyjólfur smiled at that too.

"But let's move onto nicer things," Anne-Sophie said as their coffee arrived.
"Your team is doing very well!"

Eyjólfur nodded excitedly as he typed out his response.

"You...follow football?"

"Yes," Anne-Sophie said with a nod.
"I have it on all the time at mama and papa's shop."

Eyjólfur grinned.
"Thank you. We have our next game tomorrow...it's very exciting. But...nerve wrecking?"

Anne-Sophie couldn't help but find his laboured Santonian adorable.
"You're sure you should be here with me and not practicing?"

"I'd..rather...be here," Eyjólfur said happily before sipping some coffee.

Anne-Sophie nodded.
"I'm glad you're here too..."

29 September 2021
7:38 pm
On a Wednesday

Valence, Saintonge

It had been seventeen days since that awkward date at the cafe. Seventeen days and Zhen knocked off 4-0. Now Prydania faced down Makopa in the first round of the knockout stage, but Eyjólfur wasn't focused on that. He'd worked his ass off at practice, but now? He was enjoying Anne-Sophie's company.

He couldn't learn fluent Santonian in seventeen days but he'd tried his hardest to pick up what he could without his Chercher Translator app.

"I'm sorry we have to be stuck here," Anne-Sophie said, "but papa insisted. I had to be here for my shift."

"It's ok," Eyjólfur replied as he sat next to her behind the counter. He was wearing his Prydanian national team jacket.
"I know you only want to show me off to customers," he grinned.

Anne-Sophie giggled and play punched his shoulder as they each sipped some orange juice.
"You have a big game tomorrow. I hope you do well."

"I do too...because if I win...I..." he paused as he tried to remember the words. Anne-Sophie tried to help.

"Will be one step closer to winning the World Cup?" she asked.

"No," Eyjólfur said with a grin.
"I will have more time to see you!"

"You're such a charmer!" Anne-Sophie said, giggling again. Eyjólfur laughed softly and blushed. The truth was that the past seventeen days had seen him do more than just learn some Santonian. He'd grown attached...and how whatever this was could continue when it was eventually time to go home, well... he didn't want to think about that.

Instead he just leaned into Anne-Sophie, resting his head on her shoulder as she wrapped an arm around him.

He didn't know if she could feel it, but he felt a warm, comforting happiness in him as she held him.

And in fact she could, feeling his body relax.

"I'll be cheering for you, tomorrow," she said softly.
"And I'll be doing it every game, unless you play my country's team!"

Eyjólfur nodded with a smile.
"That's ok," he said softly.
"I just hope...my Santonian...it's not bad?"

"Good enough to be appreciated, bad enough to be pitied," she replied jokingly.

"Awww," Eyjólfur said softly, enjoying her company.

"But it may get too late," Anne-Sophie said, sounding worried.
"You have a big game tomorrow. I don't want to keep you up too late."

"I'll be fine for a few more hours at least," Eyjólfur replied.
"I'd rather see you anyway," he said in a quieter, nervous tone.

Anne-Sophie had the same worry...of what would happen when the tournament was over. What would happen when all the teams went home?

She didn't think about that though. She just sat with him. And held him close. In the store where they met.

Last edited:
Marie Vallinette firmly disagreed with her mother on the matter. On most matters, in fact. There was more than a bit of a rift between the two, and had been for a while. In Grade 12, when Marie had protested the opening of a new section of the local forest in Masséna to forestry bids by camping on a logging road for three days with a bunch of other activists, her mother had threatened to leave her there instead of coming to pick her up. Marie still wasn't quite sure how serious she had been about that at the time, but things certainly hadn't gotten better in their relationship since. She had left the house angry last week over the argument they had had that day.

You see Marie's mother had been a passionate voter for many years, something Marie would very much respect if it hadn't been for the fact that she voted for a party that she greatly disapproved of. Political discussions in their household had grown more and more heated until Marie had moved out for university, and even then it was not uncommon for the occasional family dinner to devolve into bitter arguments about policy & politicians. Even in sports, the two cheered for different teams. Marie for Les Pumas in the "big city" of Essling where she'd gone for university and her mother for L'hache in Fririon, aptly named for the "...forestry companies that had originally founded the community built upon the backs of entrepreneurial spirit and..." blah blah blah. It was a talking point in and of itself.

But every few years, they could come together and agree on something. Though they might've cheered for the national team for different reasons, proud about different aspects of the Lancerian society, the World Cup brought them together in front of the TV for something simple. Something they didn't need to debate on. Both of their favourite players were represented and the opposition was always someone they could trash talk in good fun. Her mother always baked these cookies for the cup that were so good and the both of them were just... more relaxed? It was hard to explain it but it was almost like there was this unspoken agreement, a ceasefire, a pause in hostilities. It was nice. And while she was at the shop buying some snacks for the game that night she realized that, more than anything else in the last few months, she was truly looking forward to it.

Last edited:
RAP Sport

Starting lineup for Predice's Round of 16 matchup confirmed

DIEPPE -- Coach Frederico Bastoni has released the Golden Eagles' lineup ahead of Predice's round of 16 game against Lorbank.

Much of the same
Not much has changed since the last match for the Golden Eagles, with the most significant changes occurring at midfield. De Goldi has changed wings, and Schettino replaces him at his old position. Ricci, Ancelotti, and Baricello start at central midfield.
The back three remains the same, as do the strikers.
The goalkeeper also remains the same, though this remains in the balance, and may change, as Bianchi recieved a small knock in training yesterday.
lineup_6.png

Immobile to take over the gloves?
Though Bianchi is still included in Bastoni's starting XI, his knock may see him sidelined for his mentor, Gianleone Immobile, at least for the Lorbank game.
Immobile answered our question in the press conference: "You know, I would obviously like a game or two, but I hope Bianchi is able to recover, and is fit as soon as possible. I know what it feels like to be ruled out at a big competition due to injury. It really hurts."
Bianchi has not commented.

AKHK
The Wayfinders Find A Way

After losing the first game of the world cup quite badly to the host nation, most people assumed Skanda had no chance. It was a grim omen, indeed. Yet here we are, a month later, and Skanda managed to make 2nd in Group C after two phenomenal wins over Suavidici and Aydin. It’s secret? A strong offense. We saw in the first game Skanda was originally playing quite defensively, but when it was clear to the team that this simply wasn’t working, they convened with new head coach Sora Inoue to devise a new plan.

When Skanda came back onto the field against Suavidici they seemed like a whole new team. They won a resounding 4-2 victory, and then finished off the group with another strong 2-0 victory over Aydin. This year, we’ve seen an incredibly dominant Skanda. Anytime the ball has been on the field, the Skandans have been practically right on top of it. They’ve been incredibly quick in all of their plays. If it was clear that someone on the field was getting a bit slow, they got pulled and replaced them as soon as possible. It would also seem that the ball handling* skills of the team are vastly better than what they were in 2019, when we saw a decent but far more defensive, cautious, and scared Skandan team. The total turn around in play style seems to have done absolute wonders, taking the opposing teams by surprise, though Skanda will need to change things up after the match with Syrixia if they want to remain unpredictable.

This is all only possible thanks to aforementioned new head coach Sora Inoue. In 2019, the team was disorganized in the wake of government reorganization and confusion surrounding the national team. Their coach at the time, Uchiro Hatsuma, was meant to be a temporary placement when he was appointed in 2017. However by 2019, when the World Cup rolled around, he was still there. He didn’t have the skills necessary to coach at such a high level and so he was sacked after Skanda got knocked out by Prydania. Granted, he did quite well all things considered, and he’s still part of the team as one of the assistant coaches, but he’s certainly not the one making choices anymore. Sora Inoue was a blessing in disguise. Most didn’t think much of him, thinking him some small-time mountain hick soccer coach from out in Waiama. No offense to anyone from Waiama, those were their words, not ours. He rose to head coach quickly because he was just next in line after Hatsuma and he’d been radio silent until now. Now, he’s making waves.

In an interview some weeks ago we heard team captain Kei Ishigura speak about how the team always gets back up when it’s gets knocked down and tries again. We here at AKHK are glad they tried again.

Last edited:
Hollerford out for Zhen game
Hollerford looked set to be in the starting lineup for Ulstome’s match against Zhen in the round of 16 in the World Cup. Rumors from the training camp at Brive mention that, after their win against Essalanea, Hollerford and a group of other players went onto the training pitch to celebrate. Hollerford apparently fell from sitting ontop of the crossbar and although fine on that evening, at the following days training he was starting to experience pain around his ankle area and didn’t want to commit to persistent training, instead sitting out and taking breaks whilst the other members of the squad trained. His ankle has apparently been looked at and although he has suffered no serous damage to cause a tournament long injury, he will not have the time after he had recovered to be match fit in time for the teams match against Zhen and possibly even the game after that in the event of an Ulstome win to progress to the quarter-finals.

His behavior that lead to the possible injury will also give the team’s manager Isone much to think about as to if he should allow Hollerford to participate in future matches after he showed a lack of discipline in how he celebrate the teams success so far. It was not unexpected that the players would celebrate, especially as the team has many young and excited players.

But now we will have to see how Ulstome will lineup going forward. The loss of Hollerford on the right wing would make the obvious replacement in his position to be Zickmer who had played in Ulstome’s 7 – 1 win over Lorbank where he had assisted in the teams second goal of the game. Although Zickmer would be a clear replacement for a position for position it would mean Ulstome now would lack depth on the right wing as without Hollerford there is not a player that could be substituted into the same position who can perform the same role.

With the importance that the knockout rounds have and the large element of risk involved due to teams having nothing to lose once they go behind, Ulstome may switch to a back 3 formation as they have done before. Having Iskan, Kon and Toston as the likely three center-backs with Opsal and Ojlan performing the role of wingbacks whilst Monkin and Varson maintained their presence as a defensive midfielders to screen the defence. Vaas would likely remain as the number 10 whilst Monlerin would push up to form a striking pair with Fredrickson. This would allow Ulstome to maintain a wide attack whilst having a solid defence as their team is organized into 2 groups of 5 players when the team has possession.

DsKZqTS.png

NATIONAL TEAM PREPARES FOR ROUND OF 16; LU TANJU COMMITS
Written by Zhang Guohua
30 September, 2021

_89176453_247721a5-277c-427c-9cd2-4d25f5704faa.jpg

MERCANTI / 鄍文

(DREST, SAINTONGE)
- The Shenghua National Team just finished their final preparations for their Round of 16 game against Tardine. Across the cities of Shenghua, there are watch parties being organized as the starting 11 are yet to be announced thus far. This young team has advanced to the dismay of those watching - And many expect more of the same. Now, national pride throughout the country is higher than normal as they await this game.

In other news, 15-year-old Lu Tanju has just committed to further his football career at Xingda University over in Xiangdu. The young footballer was being heavily recruited by several different schools including Xianggao Emerald and Eastside over in Sheng Xing.

dvd7Sgf.png

VgchBfX.png
掳璮柜 @LuTJ 两个分钟
K61eTf7.png

我很兴奋宣布我致力于进一步发展我的学术和足球生涯在惺躂的大学。谢谢,蚟老师和林先生和我的父母帮忙我。#束缚

79K 转推 • 85K 喜欢

Fr332mY.png

dvd7Sgf.png

VgchBfX.png
Lu Tanju @LuTJ 2 minutes ago
K61eTf7.png

Blessed and excited to announce my commitment to further my academic and football career at Xingda University. Thank you, Mr. Wang and Mr. Lin, and my parents for helping me. #COMMITTED

79K Retwitches • 85K Likes

Fr332mY.png

Back