Hulldom
Discord
seathestarlesssky
sc.jpg

Commend Kelssek
Category: Commendation | Target: Kelssek
Proposed by: Drawkland | Onsite Topic

The Security Council,

Heralding the existence of Kelssek, a nation founded in 2004 which has contributed to many NationStates communities over the years;

Recognizing Kelssek’s contribution to international legislation in both the General Assembly and its predecessor, including:
  • UN#167 “International Emergency Number”, which created a standardized telephone number for reaching emergency services;
  • UN#205 “Repeal ‘UN Patent Law’”, which prevented monopolization of important medicines and inventions;
  • GAR#38 “Convention Against Genocide”, which solidified the World Assembly’s stance against this heinous crime;
  • GAR#57 “Refugee Protection”, which helped assist refugees fleeing from persecution; and co-authorship of
  • GAR#485 “Repeal ‘Disease Naming Compact’”, which cut down on unnecessary bureaucracy within this Assembly;
Introducing Kelssek’s vast participation and hosting within the sporting spheres;

Affirming that due to the large number of entrants and activity, the difficulty and prestige of hosting a World Cup is one of the greatest honors a sporting nation can achieve;

Praising Kelssek’s forays into the World Cup Cycle, including:
  • Co-hosting World Cup 46 alongside Ad’ihan, the last World Cup of the Jolt Era;
  • Co-hosting Cup of Harmony 77 alongside Zwangzug, which included lending hosting help to the World Cup 85 Qualifying campaign by way of a Vilitan Plan; and
  • Winning the Cup of Harmony 43 title against Whirl Islands;
Asserting that while the hosting of a World Cup is demanding, it is eclipsed by hosting the Olympic Games, which is a time-consuming and taxing undertaking that only the most skilled and trusted nations can handle, due to the thousands of entries and hundreds of events;

Emphasizing that cities within Kelssek have hosted no less than four Olympic Games, including:
  • The IV Olympic Winter Games, held in the city of Alavaria;
  • The Games of the V Olympiad, held in the city of Outineau;
  • Co-hosting the Games of the XII Olympiad alongside Vekaiyu, by the cities of Novonaya and Provinsk; and
  • The XV Olympic Winter Games, held in the city of Clayquot;
Impressed by Kelssek’s athletes achieving a top five medal tally at no less than fourteen Olympic Games at the time of writing, as well as the top medal tally at the VII Winter Olympics in Neverend, Liventia;

Recalling Kelssek’s dominance in the early history of the World Cup of Hockey, which includes the hosting of three editions (13, 20, 39), six podium appearances (5, 8, 9, 13, 14, 19), and one title (14);

Celebrating Kelssek’s other sporting success, including seven Olympic gold medals in water polo (the most in the sport), as well as back-to-back Rugby World Cup titles (11, 12);

Admiring the dedication of Kelssek in curating and contributing to sports history records, nearly singlehandedly in the NSWiki and as part of the administration team in the NationStates Sports Wiki;

Accentuating the longtime residency and diplomacy of Kelssek in The East Pacific;

Saluting Kelssek’s service in The East Pacific's regional government, especially during the crucial reformatory period following The Empire's occupation, including:
  • Kelssek's part in framing the first Concordat of The East Pacific;
  • Serving as Vizier from 2009 to 2013;
  • Serving as Provost in the Magisterium in 2009 and 2011;
  • Serving as Arbiter of the Conclave from 2011 to 2013; and
  • Serving as Regional Cartographer from 2004 to 2008;
Noting their role as a mediating party in both the Listonian conflict and the Krechzianko-Vladistock War;

Observing the radio newscasts of the Kelssek Broadcasting Corporation, which kept nations aware of conflicts and resolutions throughout the region for over three years;

Concluding that a nation of such impressive contributions to the wider NationStates community should not go unrecognized;

Hereby Commends Kelssek.

Co-authored by Francois Isidore.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

[TR][TD]For[/TD][TD]Against[/TD][TD] Abstain [/TD][TD] Present [/TD][/TR][TR][TD]15[/TD][TD]2[/TD][TD]3[/TD][TD]2[/TD][/TR]

Commend Kelssek has passed 12,217 (88.0%) to 1,661 (12.0%).

Last edited:
IFV

Overview
This proposal seeks to commend Kelssek for a variety of major achievements. First, the author cites their contributions to the World Assembly and its predecessor body via their authorship of multiple resolutions. Secondly, this proposal details their various successes in hosting major sporting events as well as the successes of Kelssek’s sportsmen and women in various competitions. Finally, this proposal cites their various contributions to the government of The East Pacific in a variety of positions and capacities.

Recommendation
The proposal is incredibly thorough and well-written, particularly in its detailing of the nominee's accomplishments and achievements in the area of international Sports competitions and international law. However, it fails to go into great depth about the nominee's contributions to the East Pacific. Nonetheless, the arguments in regards to the nominee's achievements in the areas of international sports and policy alone are incredibly convincing, and make an strong case for a commendation.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote For the Security Council resolution at vote, “Commend Kelssek”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Against. While the RP part may be commendable, the list of contributions to TEP are incredibly unspecific—it is just a list of positions—and should either be removed or explained further. I doubt that the list of positions needs to be included to make the case that the nominee is commendable.

Abstain

Against. While the RP part may be commendable, the list of contributions to TEP are incredibly unspecific—it is just a list of positions—and should either be removed or explained further. I doubt that the list of positions needs to be included to make the case that the nominee is commendable.
I agree that the TEP section doesn't feel properly fleshed out. I'm not going to vote against because of that particular section, because I feel the rest of the proposal works fine on its own. However, I don't think I want to us to vote for a proposal that is not the best it can be (plus my vote here isn't incredibly important at this point xD).

Last edited:
Abstain

I agree that the TEP section doesn't feel properly fleshed out. I'm not going to vote against because of that particular section, because I feel the rest of the proposal works fine on its own. However, I don't think I want to us to vote for a proposal that is not the best it can be (plus my vote here isn't incredibly important at this point xD).
I don't think we should be voting for a proposal which can be substantially improved (and the TEP part was written rather lazily given a complete lack of details). I think it leaves the proposal more vulnerable for a repeal regardless if it passes.

Abstain, leaning For.
Stares at @Robespierre for not convincing Drawk to change the part about TEP
Probably if I am not very familiar with the nominee's actions in NS Sports Forums, I would probably remove the leaning For part. That is a problem generally with RP commendations. Without context, it is difficult to justify the value of whatever they did ICly. The mix with OOC is challenging, and I am particularly disappointed that the suggestion about rewording the contributions to TEP wasn't taken up. Won't try to push for making this fail, but
I support the points by West and Prae.

Last edited:
For this, I don't find the concerns espoused here enough to justify voting against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back