Bill to Raise Number of Judges in the Court from 3 to 4

CursedSoul

Registered
1. Clause 3 of Article 4 in the TNP Constitution shall be amended to state the following:
3. The Court will consist of at least four Justices, who will select a Chief Justice among themselves.
2. At the end of Article 4 of the Constitution, the following clause shall be added:
7. In the case that the Court takes a vote and there is a tie, the Vice Delegate shall be brought forth to break said tie.
3. This bill will take effect during the next election of the Court.
This is proposed to show more diversity within the Court System of TNP. Citizens with unpopular opinions may not be fully represented if they are not able to elect a judge whose ideas do not represent theirs.

Citizens with unpopular opinions may not be fully represented if they are not able to elect a judge whose ideas do not represent theirs.
... because citizens with unpopular opinions don't get votes. That's why we have elections.

7. In the case that the Court takes a vote and there is a tie, the Vice Delegate shall be brought forth to break said tie.
The Vice Delegate has no business on the judiciary. They're in charge of regional security.

Instead of three people with sometimes almost nothing to do, in elections that are only sometimes competitive due to lack of interested candidates, you want to double down on both things? I don’t think you’re going to achieve the goal you’re setting out to do with this bill.

Also Sil is right, the Vice Delegate shouldn’t be involved. In fact, no one who isn’t on the Court should be involved in Court decisions. I appreciate the attempt to anticipate a consequence for adding a fourth Justice though.

There's a thing called Separation of Powers, and as independent as the Court is from the other government oficials, the better it will act.

And I do not see reflected a real reason to extend the number of Justices.

The court has barely enough to do as it is. We don’t need more justices.
Why the VD?
Citizens with unpopular opinions may not be fully represented if they are not able to elect a judge whose ideas do not represent theirs.
The Court isn’t a legislative body and doesn’t do a whole lot. This isn’t really an issue.

Judges are meant to go off the laws that the RA has passed. And be able to set aside their opinions in regards to decisions. "Unpopular opinions" have previously not meant you were convicted under TNP's legal system, so unless you want to point to a specific case of injustice I don't see the need for this.

Back