Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukkira

TNPer
Discord
An Actual Walrus#6526
Last edited:
I have some questions for the nominees.

First, whether there are any particular reasons as to why you want to be Election Commissioners?

Second, have any of you served as a Commissioner previously?

Third, whether any of you intend to stand in two or more of the next three ordinary election cycles (being the January and May General elections and the March Judicial election)?

Fourth, in relation to the quasi-judicial function in reviewing the decisions of supervisors of elections, what qualities (and, if considered relevant, experiences) do you have that would assist in carrying out that function?

Fifth, do you consider there are any respects in which the Rules of the Election Commission could be improved?

Question for the nominees, @Sil Dorsett @Scottie @Dreadton:

1.) What are some qualities about you that sets you apart from other potential candidates for the Election Commission?

2.) What are some qualities that you believe an Election Commissioner should have, and in what ways do you meet these qualities?

3.) Do you have any previous experience either running in/managing elections, in TNP or elsewhere?

Zyvet:

1: After putting a pause on my TNP government activity following my terms as Vice Delegate, I figured that the Election Commission was a good starting point to be involved once again, it was something new, and a chance for me to put my knack for spreadsheets to use once more. It seemed like a good fit.

2: I have not previously served as a commissioner.

3: I am not planning on running for elected office in 2020, and most certainly not running in the January, March, and May elections.

4: I believe that a fair, impartial, an analytical view of any situation the commission may encounter is what I would bring to the table. I believe we're here to review the data and guarantee the integrity of our elections, and not act in ways for the sole purpose of making things convenient.

5: I believe the rules could be improved by providing concrete procedures on how to handle certain irregularities. "If this happens, we must do this." That way there's no surprise if we have to explain a situation and the result of that to the public.

Angshire:

1 & 2: I think my answer to your first two questions will be similar enough to warrant "two birds, one stone". Plus, I think Zyvet's question 4 covers your question 2.

In real life, I work in IT. We have a rule called the "minimum necessary rule". You only access what is needed to perform your job and nothing more, and you don't provide data or access to someone that doesn't need it to do their job. If they need it, they should be able to get it themselves if they're entitled to it.

As an election commissioner and a potential election supervisor, the Minimum Necessary Rule very much applies here, especially concerning Private Ballots. From the outside looking in, the only reason I can think of where I would need to know who cast what ballot is to verify citizenship status and that's it. Once that's done, that data doesn't need to be cached anywhere. My understanding of the need to protect that private data is why I believe I'm fit for this position, and something every commissioner should have as well.

3. Well, running in and managing elections are two completely different philosophies. I haven't managed any elections, but I did run twice for Vice Delegate, so I'm familiar with the flow of candidacy declarations, campaigning, and voting. The instant runoff voting is going to be something new for me to see in action, but I fully understand it.

In before someone bothers to correct me, I have corrected my opening post to say "appointees" versus "nominees." Lest there be apparent confusion over use of term technicality.

First, whether there are any particular reasons as to why you want to be Election Commissioners?

The Ec has been operating with minimum members, making the call for temp officers the new norm when an EC member runs for office. A fully functional EC is needed to ensure that our elections run effectively. There are not a whole lot of members who would be willing to serve right now due to NS and RL conflicts. I have the time and willingness to serve.

I have not.

Third, whether any of you intend to stand in two or more of the next three ordinary election cycles (being the January and May General elections and the March Judicial election)?

I do not plan on standing in the January election. I have a major RL project resolving in February that will prevent me from being 100% available in that month. I haven't planned further out from that.

Fourth, in relation to the quasi-judicial function in reviewing the decisions of supervisors of elections, what qualities (and, if considered relevant, experiences) do you have that would assist in carrying out that function?

3.) Do you have any previous experience either running in/managing elections, in TNP or elsewhere?
2.) What are some qualities that you believe an Election Commissioner should have, and in what ways do you meet these qualities?

I believe my experience as Deputy Speaker and Associate justice will assist in carrying out the functions of the election commission. As Deputy Speaker part of my job was to count votes, open and close voting threads, and review citizen applications. These tasks directly related to the Commissions' responsibilities to open the general elections, review candidates' applications and ensuring those who voted had a legal right to do so. As an associate justice, we had to review the law, both its wording and legal history, in order to make an informed decision. The Election Commission must do the same as part of its responsibilities.

Fifth, do you consider there are any respects in which the Rules of the Election Commission could be improved?

I think the Rules of the Election Commission are generally in a good spot. There has been some discussion declaring a Commissioner absent that needs some further review.

1.) What are some qualities about you that sets you apart from other potential candidates for the Election Commission?

Every candidate brings their own perspective to the table, which can bring new insights. There is no one thing I can point to and say "This thing makes me better or different then the others."

Last edited:
I have some questions for the nominees.

Question for the nominees, @Sil Dorsett @Scottie @Dreadton:

@Zyvetskistaahn 1) I want to be an Election Commissioner because I want to begin both my own political career within TNP as well as I want to aid in making sure we continue to have fair and safe elections.
2) I have not personally served as EC in the past.
3) It is a possibility but it heavily depends on my classes and work schedules.
4) I have served within many supervisory positions throughout a few UCRs, namely the ones I had created, and I believe that could aid in me in watching the Supervisors.
5) I do not see many ways to improve the rules though if I do think of some or hear of some I will make sure to discuss them and support positive changes.
@Angshire 1) I have served in positions that oversee elections within a few UCRs. I also aim to ensure our democracy continues to not only live but strives.
2) I believe Commissioners should be reliable and should ensure our democracy as well as be diligent in making sure all elections are on time. I can meet those by simply setting my alarms and making sure I can either be around for when those are needed or I will inform the Chief if I am working and cannot be there on time.
3) I have run elections within The Order of the Sword, The Galactic Order, The Ragerian Imperium and Hartfelden.

For Dreadton and Scottie, on the Rules, what are your views in relation to the idea of including processes for specific irregularities in them? For example, where a candidate is mistakenly left off the ballot.

For all nominees, in what circumstances might you consider it appropriate to use the power of the Commission at large to replace the supervisors of a given election?

As someone who has worked with SD for more then a year in multiple avenues from the RP to the SC. I may lock horns with him on more then one occasion but I have the upmost confidence in their abilities and trustworthiness.

Having worked with Dread in the courts last term I believe they are trustworthy enough for the task.

Personally I have not worked with Scottie and others will probably be better to speak on their behalf.

For Dreadton and Scottie, on the Rules, what are your views in relation to the idea of including processes for specific irregularities in them? For example, where a candidate is mistakenly left off the ballot.

If I am understanding your question right, you are asking if we have views on spelling out how the EC should handle different types of irregularities. Spelling everything out is not necessarily a good thing, it could prevent the EC from taking into account the different factors involved in the situation. The specific situation you mention would require a restart of the election.

For all nominees, in what circumstances might you consider it appropriate to use the power of the Commission at large to replace the supervisors of a given election?

The only time the Commission can replace an Election Commissioner is if the commissioner is absent from the election. Outside of that, a EC commissioner can only be removed if they abandon their post due to loss of citizenship, recalled by the RA, removed by the court due to commission of a crime, or at the expiration of their term.

1) I agree that spelling out irregularities is not the best path here however I will answer how I believe the example given should be handled. If a candidate is left off the ballot then I believe the thread should be locked and elections restarted. Supervisors need to triple check they have all candidates.

2) I believe replacing a supervisor should only be done in the case that the supervisor is absent (if they say they must be absent due to real life or if they simply are absent with no reason). Of course if they lose citizenship, court finds them guilty of something and removes them, RA removes them etc then they need to be replaced as well (These are not done by the EC itself, however, in these cases EC would simply work on the replacement for them).

If I am understanding your question right, you are asking if we have views on spelling out how the EC should handle different types of irregularities. Spelling everything out is not necessarily a good thing, it could prevent the EC from taking into account the different factors involved in the situation. The specific situation you mention would require a restart of the election.
May I ask, why restarting the election?

I appreciate the difficulty in being overly prescriptive, but it seems to me that it is probably right that there are some situations where the outcome would need to be the same each time. I wonder, are there times when it would not be appropriate to restart?

The only time the Commission can replace an Election Commissioner is if the commissioner is absent from the election. Outside of that, a EC commissioner can only be removed if they abandon their post due to loss of citizenship, recalled by the RA, removed by the court due to commission of a crime, or at the expiration of their term.
Are you sure? My question is, advisedly, directed particularly at supervisors.

1) I agree that spelling out irregularities is not the best path here however I will answer how I believe the example given should be handled. If a candidate is left off the ballot then I believe the thread should be locked and elections restarted. Supervisors need to triple check they have all candidates.

What circumstances may make it improper for a scenario of the kind described to be dealt with prescriptively by requiring restarts?

2) I believe replacing a supervisor should only be done in the case that the supervisor is absent (if they say they must be absent due to real life or if they simply are absent with no reason). Of course if they lose citizenship, court finds them guilty of something and removes them, RA removes them etc then they need to be replaced as well (These are not done by the EC itself, however, in these cases EC would simply work on the replacement for them).
Could you elaborate on your understanding of absence, by reference to the law on the Election Commission?

Are you sure these are the only times where a supervisor of an election may be appropriately be replaced? As noted, I ask as to supervisors in particular.

EDIT: "only times where"

Last edited:

I feel like this is a trick question. The rules currently list absence or vacancy as the two reasons where the CEC would need to assign a new supervisor. The Citizen Petitions section also doesn't mention swapping out the supervisors as one of the remedies to a petition, unless you're counting "Overrule the decision and restart the election" as the point where new supervisors can be appointed.

Now, in case I'm wrong about that... one situation where it may be appropriate to swap supervisors would be in the event that one of the supervisors caused an irregularity in which the remedy is to restart the election. I think swapping supervisors would help put the public at ease and restore trust in the integrity of the election process, as the supervisors that were overseeing the election when the mistake was made wouldn't be there to make the same mistake again, as some are probably likely to assume would happen.

I appreciate the difficulty in being overly prescriptive, but it seems to me that it is probably right that there are some situations where the outcome would need to be the same each time. I wonder, are there times when it would not be appropriate to restart?

Bill, Tammy, Steven, Amy are running for office. Amy is left off the ballot, ether through a mistake or some interpretation of the procedure. Amy doesn't see that she was off the ballot till she goes to vote a day or two after the start of the election. Several people have voted. Amy challenges the removal/mistake.

2. When such a petition is submitted, the Election Commission at large will promptly vote between the following options:
a. Uphold the decision of the Election Supervisors
b. Overrule the decision and continue the election
c. Overrule the decision and restart the voting period
d. Overrule the decision and restart the election

Election is pause during the challenge. ( "2. During this process, if three or more Election Commissioners move that the election should be halted, the Election Supervisors will immediately halt the election." Three EC's voted to pause) Amy wins, with the EC determining her absence from the ballot was a mistake. If The EC chooses option b in this case, there is no way for the EC's and Amy to know if those early votes were affected by her removal. Those votes could have sway on how the election is resolved. Same for c, extending the time may permit time for those first votes to change, it may not. However, the integrity of the process is colored by her absence during the early vote.

Option D would be the best to ensure that all the candidates have equal and a fair chance during the election.

I would think that you wouldn't need to restart an election if one of the candidates names were misspelled. The EC would need to be clear that the misspelling would not invalidate the votes.

Are you sure? My question is, advisedly, directed particularly at supervisors.

Unless there is something I am missing in the Procedures, there does not seem to be a way to remove a supervisor outside of my previous answer.

For Sil Dorsett, in the scenario posed by Dreadton, which disposal would you favour: a, b, c, or d?

Are there any plausible circumstances that could lead you to choose a different option for disposal?

For Sil Dorsett, in the scenario posed by Dreadton, which disposal would you favour: a, b, c, or d?

Are there any plausible circumstances that could lead you to choose a different option for disposal?

The scenario is faulty, and, because it's vague on exactly what happened to cause the irregularity, there are actually two different scenarios. Amy would not be challenging a decision unless the Election Supervisors willfully decided to leave her off the ballot. If this was instead an oversight, Amy would be right to bring it to attention and then the Election Supervisors would have to decide what to do. In my opinion, the Supervisors should restart the voting period. If they willfully left Amy off the ballot, well, then I don't have enough information because it's not stated why Amy was left off.

Let's say that Amy needed to be added back in under both scenarios, whether done by Supervisor correction or Commission override. Regardless, I don't think there's a need to restart the entire election in this case, as there's no need for redone candidacy declarations and campaigning. Restarting the voting period doesn't reset the clock while preserving the early votes and extending the period; it makes those early votes null and void and everyone has to vote again. If the concern is to be fair, restarting the voting period does the job just fine.

To continue the voting period wouldn't be fair because there'd be no way to be sure how many affected ballots were actually correct and how many of them would have been changed unless we demanded that those who already voted confirm their vote. But, what if they don't respond? Are their votes valid? It's too messy, in my opinion. Explain the error, restart the voting period, send out notices to those who voted to tell them to vote again. It's still not going to be the cleanest, as there's always that chance some voters won't come back to recast their vote, but at least the voters who would have changed wouldn't have inadvertently voted for the wrong candidate.

Last edited:
The Office of the Speaker recognizes the motion to vote by @Artemis and the motion being seconded by @mcmasterdonia.
Voting is scheduled to begin in one day, approximately (time=1576697400) (Your Local Time)

Last edited:
Very good crop of nominees. Sil Dorsett and Dreadton will be very good additions to the Election Commission, I’m sure

I know less about Scottie, but they seem to have answered questions when asked responsibly and so I trust they’ll be responsible if confirmed

I kinda want to see Scottie's answers as well. I'll third the objection to scheduling a vote to confirm Scottie.

I hereby acknowledge the objections to hold the vote.

The vote for all three nominees will be postponed until a new motion to vote is made.

Last edited:
I mean, I don't mind waiting for my own confirmation vote if it gets us Scottie's answers, but isn't this three separate confirmations? Why hold up the other two that haven't been objected to?

Last edited:
I hereby acknowledge the objections to hold the vote.

The vote for all three nominees will be postponed until a new motion to vote is made.

Does the speakers office intend to break the standing pattern and block all concurrent nominations into one confirmation now? Cuz if so why did they allow COE and Siwale to have separate votes?

From my reading of what has happened, the Vote was canceled per 3 citizens objecting to the vote. Another motion for a vote was made and the Speaker's Office recognized it as a new motion for a vote and therefore scheduled it to happen immediately.

Evidently the government is trying to push through all three nominations, despite Scottie still having questions to answer. It's really rather not on indeed to be honest.

From my reading of what has happened, the Vote was canceled per 3 citizens objecting to the vote. Another motion for a vote was made and the Speaker's Office recognized it as a new motion for a vote and therefore scheduled it to happen immediately.
In the past, I was under the impression that after a vote was cancelled, it required the 1/3 quorum rule to push it through to a vote.

First I would like to apologize for disappearing. My family has come early for the holidays and I found myself either socializing with them or trying to relax and play games if I was not working. I promise this will not happen again.

What circumstances may make it improper for a scenario of the kind described to be dealt with prescriptively by requiring restarts?
The election needs to be restarted because someone was not on the ballot. There are simply two options here; Restart election with all names OR add names and continue elections. If we followed the latter then it would set a dangerous precedent to supervisor abuse whereas they may add names they do not like at the very end. However restarting the election will allow everyone to vote in full with all candidates listed.

Could you elaborate on your understanding of absence, by reference to the law on the Election Commission?

Are you sure these are the only times where a supervisor of an election may be appropriately be replaced? As noted, I ask as to supervisors in particular.
If you are to look at the only law, as far as I find within our legal areas and as far as I see within our Law Index, that describes the Election Commissions rules (Rules of the Election Commission) you will find absence described seven times. Of these seven times none of them describe what exactly is defined as absent but instead what is to do to replace a supervisor if they are absent.
Section One. Chief Election Commissioner
1. Whenever the position is vacant, the Election Commissioners will determine which of them will serve as Chief Election Commissioner and for how long. In the interim, the Election Commissioner with the longest tenure who is willing and not absent will serve as Chief Election Commissioner.
2. When the Chief Election Commissioner is absent, the Election Commissioner with the longest tenure who is willing and not absent will serve as a temporary replacement until the Chief Election Commissioner is no longer absent.
Section Two. Election Supervisors
2. Election Commissioners who expect to be absent, or are unwilling to supervise a regularly scheduled election should endeavor to inform the Chief Election Commissioner at least two weeks in advance of the election.
3. If, during an election, an Election Supervisor becomes absent or vacates their office, the Chief Election Commissioner will promptly designate a willing replacement.
Section Three. Appointments
2. When temporary Election Commissioners are needed, the non-absent commissioners will come to a consensus regarding who to appoint. If no consensus can be reached, the Chief Election Commissioner will create a list of all suggested appointees, and hold a vote in which each Election Commissioner may vote for as many or as few as they wish. Those with the most votes will be appointed.

I have included my references here. If you do have another law or section of this law which I have missed in regards to absence then I would verily enjoy you to show them so I may learn.

RA Rules:
4. If a number of citizens equal to or exceeding one third of the number of votes required to achieve quorum for any legislative vote object to the duration of a vote of the Regional Assembly decided by the Speaker before the conclusion of the vote, then that vote will last for the maximum duration permitted by law.
I object to the decision of the Speaker on the four-day duration of the vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back