Not a Malorian vassal
TNP Nation
Highton Islands
Discord
Highton#5752
DELEGATES DEBATE SEPTEMBER 2019 TRANSCRIPT
MODERATED BY HIGHTON AND SYRIXIA

HightonToday at 17:33
Hello, and welcome to the Greitbart News debate for the office of Delegate, September 2019. My name is Highton and I will be one of the debate moderators. The rules of the debate are simple: After the opening statements, each candidate will have two minutes to answer each question. For the final two questions, each speech will be followed by a four-minute discussion period between the candidates. This will be followed by the closing statements.
I will now allow opening statements to begin. @vote for bob will start. You will have one minute. If you do not fill the full minute, please yield your time.

RiotrixiaToday at 17:37
10 seconds

vote for bobToday at 17:37
Hello, citizens and residents of The North Pacific! My name is Bobberino, however I am colloquially known as Bob. I am running for Delegate, because I have a clear vision in mind forward for our great region. Please take your time and carefully consider who you would like in this Delegate chair... Energy, passion, counsel, wisdom and knowledge are all necessary to fulfill this office. Please choose carefully.

HightonToday at 17:37
@Bormiar You may now proceed with your opening statement. You have one minute.
10 seconds

BormiarToday at 17:39
Hey, I'm Borm. I just want to mention that tag raiding is pretty useless, and the NPA does it a lot. While detagging is equally useless, some of us pretend to have the moral high ground. Bascially I want to appoint someone who won't do anything for the NPA and disband it

HightonToday at 17:39
Thank you. @mcmasterdonia you may proceed with your opening statement. You have one minute.
10 seconds.

McMasterdoniaToday at 17:41
Good morning everyone, firstly I'd like to thank Highton and Syrixia for hosting this debate and to the audience for watching. I have presented a comprehensive and ambitious platform for each area of the region for the term ahead. I am a hard working and diligent community builder. I believe I have the experience, knowledge and ability to ensure that The North Pacific is the best region it can be in the term ahead.

HightonToday at 17:41
Thank you. @Lord Nessie, Ender of Regions, you may proceed with your opening statement. You have one minute.
@Lord Nessie, Ender of Regions Your time has expired. Please post what you have.
First question. Why do you want to be Delegate, and why now?
@vote for bob, you may proceed. You have two minutes.
1 minute remaining.

vote for bobToday at 17:46
I would like to be Delegate to push forward the vision that I have planned for the region to go forward into the last term of 2019 and beyond. Specifically now because our region is at a crossroads. Our region specifically needs what is coloquially known as a "shot in the arm", in my opinion, in the departments of Foreign Affairs, Defense, Home Affairs and WA Affairs. I feel I am best equipped for this to happen.

HightonToday at 17:46
Thank You. @mcmasterdonia You may proceed with your response. You have two minutes.

McMasterdoniaToday at 17:46
Thank you

HightonToday at 17:48
One minute remaining.

McMasterdoniaToday at 17:48
I have decided to run for Delegate now because I felt confident that I had the most comprehensive and detailed plan for the region in the term ahead. Ultimately for me it always comes down to the path forward - what is the region looking for, what do we need to do, and how do we deliver upon these plans. My intention in running now is to provide a realistic roadmap forward, one that citizens can easily understand and get on board with. I believe that we have the ability now to be bolder and braver in our policy areas and I've offered a snapshot of what this would look like during my Delegacy.
I've served as Delegate on previous occasions where we've found ourselves at a cross roads as Bob has described and I am confident that if elected, I can ensure that we move forward in a way that is sustainable and supported by all areas of our community, and reasserts our role on the world stage.
I yield any remaining time.

HightonToday at 17:49
Thank You.
@Bormiar you may proceed. You have two minutes.

BormiarToday at 17:49
Not enough fenda delegates. I know Flem was one and maybe Elu was but still not enough. Yield

HightonToday at 17:50
Thank You.
@Lord Nessie, Ender of Regions you may proceed. You have two minutes.

Lord Nessie, Ender of RegionsToday at 17:50
I want to be delegate because i like oppressing people

HightonToday at 17:51
Do you yield your remaining time?

Lord Nessie, Ender of RegionsToday at 17:51
Yep

HightonToday at 17:51
Thank You.
Now for the second question.
What are some positive qualities you see in your opponents?
@Lord Nessie, Ender of Regions you may begin. You have two minutes.

Lord Nessie, Ender of RegionsToday at 17:51
They looks funny
Yield

HightonToday at 17:52
Thank You.
@Bormiar you may proceed. You have two minutes.

BormiarToday at 17:52
uhhh
umm
Bob is competent I guess
Nessie can speak English which is cool
yes pls
yield

HightonToday at 17:53
Thank you.
@mcmasterdonia you may proceed

McMasterdoniaToday at 17:53
Thank you.
Firstly, I'd say that @vote for bob has tremendous energy that he takes to every role that he holds. He has been an incredibly dedicated soldier and cabinet minister. Likewise, he is also very good at building relationships and connections with other players which I think is very valuable. For @Lord Nessie, Ender of Regions, I believe he is an excellent Lead Gameside Advocate and has demonstrated his abilities in gameside engagement an area that if I was elected I would like him to get more involved in. @Bormiar asks a lot of questions and Kyo seems to like him.
I yield remaining time

HightonToday at 17:56
Thank you. @vote for bob you may proceed. You have two minutes.
1 minute remaining.

vote for bobToday at 17:58
I'd like to lead off by saying that @Lord Nessie, Ender of Regions does a terrific job of oppressing inferior citizens of the region such as @Zaz and @Aerilia. @Bormiar wasn't a bad NPAer. @mcmasterdonia I reserve the utmost praise for. Terrific mentor and advisor to anyone from the newest person to the region to rising stars to seasoned veterans and is a terrific Minister. Though I was not around for his previous Delegacies, by all accounts, they were absolutely terrific, and I assure the region that if McM is to win the September 2019 elections, that the region is in top-notch hands.

HightonToday at 17:59
Thank You
Now for the third question: What are your thoughts on the relationship between the Freedom of Information Act and Discord archives?
@vote for bob you may proceed. You have two minutes.
One minute remaining.

vote for bobToday at 18:01
Terrific question! I think that Discord archives leave a lot of information on the table to be dissected and brought up, and potentially expose old plans that were shot down that still had a chance at viability. The Freedom of Information Act was centered around letting these kinds of logs see the light of day; as such, I believe in declassifying old Discord archives under the FoIA.

HightonToday at 18:02
Time has expired.
@mcmasterdonia you may proceed. You have two minutes.

McMasterdoniaToday at 18:02
Thank you
This is a good question. I think to be honest this is quite complicated. My concern regarding FOIA remains that in my experience it can lead to people taking discussions to third party servers and offsite, where they believe they are beyond the reach of FOIA and beyond the scope of government activity.
That doesn't mean that I oppose the release of information from the discord server though, I just think it needs to be done in a way that properly assesses the sensitivity of the material. Most of the Ministry channels do not contain private information or any information that could impact our foreign relationships or regional security.
But I believe that there are some areas within the executive server in particular where we'd need to be careful and sensitive to the information that is contained there, as well as sensitive to the prior administrations who may have been involved in said discussions.

HightonToday at 18:04
Thank You. Your time has expired.
@Bormiar, you may proceed. You have two minutes.

BormiarToday at 18:05
The archives probably has some cool convos people wanna read, so the act is good. Yield.

HightonToday at 18:06
Thank You. @Lord Nessie, Ender of Regions, you have two minutes.

Lord Nessie, Ender of RegionsToday at 18:06
I have absolutely no idea what are you talking about
Yield

HightonToday at 18:07
Question #4. What is the greatest threat facing the region currently?
@mcmasterdonia, you have two minutes.

McMasterdoniaToday at 18:07
Thank you.

HightonToday at 18:08
One minute remaining.

McMasterdoniaToday at 18:08
I think we don't face traditional threats like we once may have done (like invasions, coups etc), I believe the main threat is complacency amongst the region. I think there has at times in the past year been too high a level of complacency when really the region could have been more proactive in asking questions and holding our region to account. A good example of this was the recall Romanoffia proposal, which despite his chronic inactivity, looked like it might fail because people believed the packaged story sold that he was actually available and active
I want people to be inspired, engaged and active within the government. I will do my best to facilitate this.
Also bootsie is a great threat
I yield my remaining timne

HightonToday at 18:09
Thank you. @Bormiar, you have proceed. You have two minutes.

BormiarToday at 18:10
Bootsie, cause that name sounds evil and I don't know them. Spooky.

HightonToday at 18:10
Do you yield?

BormiarToday at 18:10
Oh yeaqh sorry
Yield.

HightonToday at 18:11
Thank you. @vote for bob you may proceed.
One minute remaining.

vote for bobToday at 18:13
I agree with McMasterdonia in the facet that we don't face as many traditional threats as we may have in the past, in large part due to the splendid and thankless work of the WADP and our terrific Security Council. Vigilance is key, but that is less present than it may have been in NS past. I would say that divisions between the region and its various subcommunities (Eras versus Strangereal, or NPA versus WADP) can cause rivalries and tensions to form where they need not be. If we lose our core identity, being democracy, that poses a threat.

HightonToday at 18:14
Thank you.
@Lord Nessie, Ender of Regions please proceed.

Lord Nessie, Ender of RegionsToday at 18:14
SPIES!!!!!!
Yield.

HightonToday at 18:14
Grazie.
Question 5.
What are your thoughts on the role of the RMB in our region, and on Gameside Advocates?
@Bormiar, go ahead. You have two minutes.

BormiarToday at 18:15
I like Discord more.
Yield.

HightonToday at 18:15
Thank you.
@mcmasterdonia. Your turn. Two minutes. Go.

McMasterdoniaToday at 18:16
Thank you.

HightonToday at 18:17
One minute remaining.

McMasterdoniaToday at 18:17
I think the RMB is really important. It is in many cases where nations will get their first impression of the region and the game when they first joined. I was recruited to the forum from there and became engaged in our politics and government because of actions I saw there. Likewise the gameside advocates have become really important. Not just for moderation and keeping an eye on things, but also for connecting nations with our offsite community and what our government is doing.
In addition, my goals for the term will include a large number of censuses and in-game initiatives designed to hone in on what our in-game community is looking for, so that we may set our path forward in a meaningful way to build upon our in-game presence.
I'm still undecided on whether or not GA should be a Ministry or kept within Home Affairs. But I think we need to do more in that area.
I yield remaining time.

HightonToday at 18:18
Thank you.
@Lord Nessie, Ender of Regions You may proceed.
One minute.

Lord Nessie, Ender of RegionsToday at 18:20
The RMB Is a mess, i want a One post for day rule on it and more powers to the GAs. Also i want cool leather coats for them
Yield

HightonToday at 18:20
Thank you.
@vote for bob You may proceed. You have two minutes.

RiotrixiaToday at 18:25
@vote for bob Time's up. Post what you have

vote for bobToday at 18:25
I would say that the role of the RMB is a crucial one to our region. There is quality RP on the RMB, as well as promotions, recruitment, and general camaraderie with the great folks down in TSP or other embassied regions. I would say that the GAs should work more closely with Home Affairs leadership and in close tangent with them to help foster recruitment from our resources on the RMB and draw from the communities on there, in the true spirit of what Home Affairs is really all about - outreach. Polls should also be conducted to keep tabs on the various regional communities' representations both in-game and off-site; and I will work with Culture to promote the Discord on the RMB and elsewhere, to ensure that all offsite resources are provided and put at the forefront of the minds of the folks on the RMB and elsewhere. This allows them to keep tabs on the government and who actually runs it, rather than who just reaches out and suppresses their post every other day.

RiotrixiaToday at 18:25
Thank you.
Alright! And with that, we move on to Discussion Questions. Each candidate will have one minute to speak, and then 4 minutes of discussion time.
Starting off, what are your thoughts on the concept of Cabinet Ministers potentially also being Deputy Ministers in other ministries?

@mcmasterdonia, you first.

McMasterdoniaToday at 18:27
Good question. I've spoken on this candidly before. In short, I'm against it unless it is absolutely necessary. I am confident that we have a large enough pool of citizens and staff members that we can afford to give newer members the opportunity to be Deputies. There is no requirement for a Minister to be a Deputy for them to contribute meaningfully to another Ministry.
I would instead encourage them to support other colleagues through their work without necessarily needing to be a Deputy. This is the approach I've taken as a Minister.

RiotrixiaToday at 18:27
@mcmasterdonia Time's up. Post what you have

McMasterdoniaToday at 18:28
I was done :slight_smile:

HightonToday at 18:28
Thank You!

RiotrixiaToday at 18:28
Alright
@vote for bob You're up

HightonToday at 18:29
10 seconds remaining.

vote for bobToday at 18:29
I'd counter McM's argument with personal experience. I served under El Fiji Grande as Minister of Defense, as well as Deputy Minister of Communications and Deputy Minister of Home Affairs under Ghost and Marcus/Robes. I would say that my roles under both were necessary but also helped Marcus and Robes adjust to being newer Ministers.

HightonToday at 18:30
Thank you.
@Lord Nessie, Ender of Regions, you may proceed.

Lord Nessie, Ender of RegionsToday at 18:30
Eeeeehhhh
Yes?
Yield.

HightonToday at 18:30
Thank you.
@Bormiar Please proceed. You have a solitary minute.

BormiarToday at 18:31
I don’t see anything wrong with enslaving them more than NS already does.
Yield.

HightonToday at 18:31
Thank you.
Now, the floor is open to all four candidates.
The discussion period will last four minutes.

RiotrixiaToday at 18:32
And, go!

BormiarToday at 18:32
Hi

McMasterdoniaToday at 18:32
Okay

BormiarToday at 18:32
Yep

vote for bobToday at 18:32
Would you have had a problem with me serving as DMoHA?
Had you been Delegate, of course

McMasterdoniaToday at 18:32
@vote for bob I know that you served as a Deputy, but why do you feel you had to be a Deputy in order to make the same sort of contributions that you made over that period?
Also was that above question directed at me?

vote for bobToday at 18:33
Yes

Lord Nessie, Ender of RegionsToday at 18:33
:eyes:

HightonToday at 18:33
No. This is not for small talk about the weather.

BormiarToday at 18:33
Highton that was in dms
lol

McMasterdoniaToday at 18:34
It would ultimately depend what other areas you were serving in at the time and if a case could be made for you to need to be a deputy, rather than a colleague supporting another colleague.

HightonToday at 18:34
Two minutes remaining.

vote for bobToday at 18:34
I would say I would be best suited to be a Deputy in order to specifically help Robes and Marcus with administrative functions - such as accepting exec staff members - which is not accessible to other ministers by my understanding.

BormiarToday at 18:34
Robes and Marcus do well on their own I think

Lord Nessie, Ender of RegionsToday at 18:34
Eeeeehhhh
Yes?

BormiarToday at 18:35
No

vote for bobToday at 18:35
Marcus is no longer a minister lol
Robes learned.

BormiarToday at 18:35
Oh yeah I forgot

HightonToday at 18:35
30 seconds remaining on this question.

McMasterdoniaToday at 18:35
Okay, well I don't think ti needs to be a requirement to be a Deputy in order to support other Minister's in processing apps
If the other Minister needs support and their deputies can't do it, I'd have no problem with other Minister's assisting if need be.

vote for bobToday at 18:35
Nobody goes into a niched job in a niched game like NS completely knowing how it works w/o prior experience, imo.

HightonToday at 18:35
Time has expired. Please finish your sentence.

BormiarToday at 18:36
Ok.

vote for bobToday at 18:36
I've never seen, say, a MoHA accept an application for MoCU.

HightonToday at 18:36
Thank you.
Now for the second discussion question:

RiotrixiaToday at 18:36
What is your plan for how the Cabinet should look in regards to ministries, their purviews, how they are run, etc. and how is your plan unique? What makes your plan better than the other candidates’ plans?
As before, one minute speaking times, then a 4 minute discussion
We'll start with @vote for bob

HightonToday at 18:37
10 seconds left,
@vote for bob Your time has expired. Please post what you have.

vote for bobToday at 18:38
My plan is to incorporate a mixture of new blood, old blood, and rising stars to the Executive Council. I would have all Ministers talk to me and each other with regards to Deputies, and we'd work out a "web" of who serves under and with who. This works well because clarity and communication across Ministries is prioritized.

HightonToday at 18:38
Thank you.
@Lord Nessie, Ender of Regions, you are up. One minute.
10 seconds.
@Lord Nessie, Ender of Regions Your time has expired. Please post what you have.

Lord Nessie, Ender of RegionsToday at 18:39
I'll be sure that everyone in the governmemt shall have a dish of real pasta

HightonToday at 18:40
Thank you.
@mcmasterdonia One minute, go.

McMasterdoniaToday at 18:40
Thank you
To date, I'm the only one who has presented a comprehensive plan for each Ministry and the direction I would expect them to take under my leadership. I will be focusing on promoting interconnectivity between relevant Ministerial areas, for instance, Communications and Culture with the initiatives to utilise TNL authors to provide additional interactive seminars. I will work very closely with my Ministers to ensure they have adequate support from the staff, their Deputies and from my office to enact the plan that I've laid out as well as the opportunities to deliver on their own initiatives and goals.
I'm hoping to give new people the opportunity to serve in each area of my government as well as supporting them in their jobs with more experienced hands as staff members.

HightonToday at 18:41
Thank you. @Bormiar you may proceed. One minute.

BormiarToday at 18:41
One ministry, run by the first person who asks to. Idk. Yield.

HightonToday at 18:41
Thank you.
We will now proceed to open the floor for discussion.

RiotrixiaToday at 18:42
Candidates, how are your plans unique compared to the other candidates', and what makes yours the best?
DISCUSS!

HightonToday at 18:42
Four minutes.

BormiarToday at 18:42
Can't argue with the pasta

Lord Nessie, Ender of RegionsToday at 18:42
I find your lack of pasta disturbing

vote for bobToday at 18:42
What sauce will be on the pasta?

BormiarToday at 18:42
Depends, does gnocchi count as pasta?

vote for bobToday at 18:43
^

Lord Nessie, Ender of RegionsToday at 18:43
Well yes

HightonToday at 18:43
Please stay on topic.

BormiarToday at 18:43
Sorry

McMasterdoniaToday at 18:43
Well compared to Bormiar and Nessie, I suppose my plans are serious, detailed and achievable without overthrowing our democratic system :stuck_out_tongue:

vote for bobToday at 18:44
^

Lord Nessie, Ender of RegionsToday at 18:44
Fake news!

BormiarToday at 18:44
I would like McM's plan if I had read it instead of slacking off and doing nothing

vote for bobToday at 18:44
We should also ban @Zazumo

HightonToday at 18:44
90 seconds left.

McMasterdoniaToday at 18:45
I encourage yall to read my campaign. Otherwise I don't have much else to add on this.

vote for bobToday at 18:45
Mine will be up very shortly. Otherwise ^

BormiarToday at 18:45
I'll read it if I remember the link to the forums
And my username

McMasterdoniaToday at 18:46
Bormiar you make me sad

HightonToday at 18:46
Time has expired. We will now proceed to the closing statements.
@mcmasterdonia go ahead. One minute.

McMasterdoniaToday at 18:46
Thank you.

HightonToday at 18:47
Ten seconds,

McMasterdoniaToday at 18:47
I'd like to thank our hosts Highton and Syrixia for putting this debate together on short notice and making sure all candidates can attend. It is no easy task to do. Finally I believe as I've said that my plans are achievable and yet ambitious and I am hopeful that if elected we will have a very exciting term. I hope that our citizens participate in our democracy and ask questions of all candidates and make an informed decision.

Thank you.

McMasterdoniaToday at 18:47
Now I go to work

vote for bobToday at 18:47
Thank you, McM!

Thank you McM for participating.@Lord Nessie, Ender of Regions you may proceed.
One minute.

Lord Nessie, Ender of RegionsToday at 18:47
Vote for me or i'll have you all banned

HightonToday at 18:48
Yield?

Lord Nessie, Ender of RegionsToday at 18:48
Yep, sorry

Thank you Nessie for participating. You can now get some sleep.

Lord Nessie, Ender of RegionsToday at 18:48
Finally!!!

submerges under the water
@twerty you may proceed. One minute.

BormiarToday at 18:49
Vote for Nessie or I'll insult your flag on NationStates general and permanently damage your fragile reputation. Yields.

HightonToday at 18:49
Thank you.
Finally, @vote for bob, you have one minute.
Ten seconds.

vote for bobToday at 18:50
I'd like to thank all of you for sitting down to watch this. Please make an informed, rational decision based on tonight and on the campaigning period, and get out and vote!

BormiarToday at 18:50
for me

vote for bobToday at 18:51
no for me

BormiarToday at 18:51
ehhh
I don't think I'd vote for you unless you can swallow a human in one gulp like a doggo or loch ness monster

HightonToday at 18:52
Thank you, @vote for bob! And thank you to all of the candidates for participating! Don't forget to go out and vote on Friday. Voting will be approximately from (time=1567742400) (your forum time) to (time=1568174400) (your forum time).

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mind if I edit in the time codes to the end of your post so that it actually renders the appropriate times outside of the UTC-4 offset timezones?

Last edited:
While I wasn’t around to witness the debate for the Delegate’s race live I must say that this was a very good read for when I awoke from my nap. My appreciation goes to @Highton and @Syrixia for taking time out of their evenings to moderate this, good content!

Thanks for doing this; its very helpful in helping a new citizen make an informed choice.

Also thanks to McMasterdonia and Bob for well thought-out, thought provoking answers.

Back