Kranostav
Discord
Tlomz

ga.jpg

Prohibit Private Prisons
Category: Social Justice | Strength: Mild
Proposed by: Christian Democrats | Onsite Topic
The General Assembly,

Persuaded that prisons should aim to reduce recidivism rates and to perform their functions at the lowest possible costs to the public that are consistent with the dignity of inmates,

Recognizing that capitalism promotes and that business enterprises pursue the acquisition of repeat customers and the maximization of profits,

Deeply concerned that capitalism, in the context of prisons, creates perverse incentives to increase recidivism rates (more repeat customers) and to increase public expenditures on prisons (greater profit maximization), contrary to legitimate penological goals and the general welfare,

1. Defines a "prison" as a prison, penitentiary, jail, jailhouse, or other correctional or detention center that holds and houses, on a permanent or long-term basis, individuals who have been convicted of crimes and are serving criminal sentences;

2. Further defines a "private prison" as a prison that is entirely owned and operated or primarily owned and operated by a nongovernmental corporation, a private individual, or any other private actor or actors;

3. Requires all member states and their political subdivisions, within two calendar years of this resolution's passage and in perpetuity thereafter, to discontinue their use of private prisons for the incarceration of individuals convicted of crimes and serving criminal sentences;

4. Recommends that member states and political subdivisions, lacking a sufficient number of public prisons, implement Section 3 of this resolution by using the power of eminent domain to transfer prisons from private hands to public ownership (i.e., nationalization);

5. Clarifies that this resolution shall not be construed to extend to home detention, private probation, supervised release, halfway houses, and other similar practices, making use of private properties or private actors, in the criminal justice system;

6. Further clarifies that this resolution shall not be construed to prohibit member states and their political subdivisions from contracting with private actors for the provision to prisons of goods and services, such as public utilities, foodstuffs, and health services, that are incidental to prison ownership and operation; and

7. Declares that member states and their political subdivisions, notwithstanding Section 3 of this resolution, may use private facilities and private actors for imprisonment on a temporary basis, but only when it is necessary for the safety, health, or welfare of prisoners -- e.g., an emergency evacuation before a hurricane requires a prison warden to relocate his prison population to a private facility that is located inland.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.

Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

Personally, I view private prisons as a concept to be a rather disgusting perversion of the justice system with unneeded capitalism. I'm not of the view either that regulation can fix the concept, as such would still leave the profit motive or other unknown to them and not to the proper place of the relevant central government.

However, while my vote is thus FOR, my WA is not in TNP.

3 for, 4 against. I'll add my vote to Against.

This proposal prohibits prisons run by non for profit organizations, yet, the proposal also has the same aim of trying to reduce recidivism rates.

On first look, it seems leaning towards a for, as it may help to ensure that all prisons are run by the state and not by non-government actors. However, or further read, it may not be as good as it seems. There is a possible problem with passing the bill as this would prevent non-government houses from holding "half-way houses" which helps to rehabilitate the prisoners while they are serving their sentences. I generally feel that the proposal could be better worded, and could be better clarified so that while it ensure state actors are owning the prison, it should make provision to allow non-government organisation to play a bigger role as long as it is overseen by a government body that remains in charge of prisons in the nation.

Therefore, for this proposal, my stand is Against.

Present,

Ima bit tore on it. On the one hand, I dislike private prisons with a passion. However, it may be necessary to set up a temporary private prison if there are emergency conditions. If I had a sudden influx of POWs I wouldnt want to stick them in with our common criminals, but my military may not have the facilities to handle it.

Against, however if the definition of what a prison is were to be amended to not include other forms of correctional facilities, for would be the best option.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back