The Accords (invite-only)

Goyanes

Worldbuilder
-
TNP Nation
Goyanes
Discord
goya#6469
Grand Emperor Anthony sat in the privy council chamber at Tageskiele. The room had white walls, with reddish-orange columns and brown carpets. Three gold chandeliers hung from the ceiling, but their efforts were being beaten by the golden orange sunset light pouring in through the big wood-framed windows on one side of the room. With him was Prime Minister Jon Norberg, Foreign Minister Ken Lorge, and Privy Councillor for Foreign Affairs Hans Overgard. They sat at one corner of the conference table. It was modern and corporate, and looked out of place in the classical room.

In the back corner of the room was the stenographer. She was an older woman in her sixties with thick and curly silver hair. It was a constitutional requirement that a log be kept of the Privy Council sessions, and this was how they did it. She always sat there, quietly clacking away as the members deliberated. She didn’t say much, but she was beloved by the council and the palace staff. They always rewarded her with Christmas bonuses and birthday gifts.

“So Jon,” he paused, a slightly worried expression on his face was noticeable. “I think we should move forward with this. After all, it’s about time that we make greater movements in this.”

Jon looked at Anthony. “I think we have to do it. And if we’re going to do it we can’t go half-assed about it.” He looked around at the three other men. “We need to go all in.”

Ken cleared his throat. “Hans, Jon and I have looked at all the relevant information. We’ve spoken with every minister and department chair.” He reshuffled his papers. “I think we’re ready to go on this.”

Hans nodded in agreement without saying a word. He was a more timid man, and while not making his opinions known more publicly, everybody knew what he wanted.

Anthony sighed and looked around. It was a tough decision, but they did everything they could and made an educated and proper decision based on the facts they could get.

“Alright. I’ll have my household secretary send it out. Meeting adjourned.”

Everybody except Hans nodded, stood up, bowed and left the chamber. The stenographer quietly took the memory chip out of the stenograph machine, put it into an envelope marked “CLASSIFIED” and was leaving the room to give the memory card to the Household Secretary as usual when Anthony interrupted.

“Thank you again Jena, great work as usual. Say hello to Freidrik for me.” Jena, gave back a warm smile and said “Yes, my lord. Will do.”

Anthony looked at Hans. Hans stood up. In a much lower voice, he began “we must be very careful with how we go about this, my lord.” He sighed. “The McMasterdonians and Midraneans are a stubborn people, and Sutherland is still not widely recognized, at all.” Hans put special emphasis on the “at all.”

Hans was right, Anthony thought to himself. No international issue had been keeping Anthony up at night this much since when Ascalon was given independence. There was much to lose. International prestige, diplomatic relations, economic standing. The list went on and on.

Anthony looked at him in the eyes. “I will ensure that every step of this process is managed correctly Hans. You will be there every step of the way”

“Thank you, my lord.” Hans bowed and made his way out of the chamber and out of the palace. His driver was waiting for him by the front gate.

Anthony walked over to the household secretary’s office. The office had a window view of the driveway and the bridge to the Tageskiele district of the city. The Secretary, Klaus, wasn’t in the office, but in the backroom filing paperwork. Anthony was never the intrusive type, so he patiently waited for him. Looking out the window, he saw Hans being driven away and the stenographer, Jena, getting into her husband’s car.

Klaus walked into his office, and bowed. “I’m sorry for not attending to you immediately, my lord. What can I do for you?”

Anthony dismissed his apology. “Don’t worry about it, we all have work to do here.” He chuckled for a second. You wouldn’t happen to have that invitation for the Arc-Wondress, do you?”

Minister Lorge sent it to me this morning. Just one minute. He opened a file on his black Polykor laptop. It was a standard government-issue work computer. “Aha, yes. Would you like me to send it, my lord?”

“Yes,” said Anthony, “have it go through the Embassy though. I want it hand-delivered.”

“Yes my lord, it will be done.”

“Thank you as always Klaus.”

Anthony left the secretary’s office and made his way to the Imperial Apartment. His girls were finished with their homework, and were playing a video game on the TV in the living room. Empress-Consort Claire was reading on the recliner when he walked in. “Long day,” she asked.

“Yep,” Anthony responded as he kissed her.

Klaus printed the invitation on the nicest cardstock available to the palace, and had it placed in a diplomatic pouch on the next Luftreederei flight to Arch-Centre. From there, Ambassador Klein would hand-deliver it to Nathan Jarreau, the Arc-Wonderess of Sutherland.

2TGl2ur.png

Nathan eyed the invitation with intrigue. Without the compassion and support of Goyanes, Sutherland would not be able to maintain its independence. The Arc-Wonderess could not imagine what this meeting could mean as it had almost a cryptic quality to it. He slid the invitation across the table to Debra Cantilis, the newly installed Prime of Sutherland. She had been named the head of government after the reorganizations that took place as a result of the Sutherlan Urgent Inspiration Act.

"What could this mean for us, Lady Prime?"

"I don't know, Your Wonder. Perhaps they fear leaking their intentions to the world stage. If they are calling us to Gojannesstad then it must be of great importance. I think it is best to hear anything they have to say given our warm relations. Quite frankly, our future may depend on it."

"Very well, Debra." There was a tinge of worry within Nathan as he never liked a mystery, too much bad could come from it if one was not careful enough to see it coming. He knew there was no choice, however. Sutherland would meet the call of the Imperial Republic. "Who shall go? It is right that I do so to show the importance of this rendezvous. I think you should come too, Lady Prime."

"I wholeheartedly agree. Perhaps an Inspirator should join us as well. They should be introduced to our allies after all and gain diplomatic experience. The Inspirator of Alderon perhaps?"

"Michael? Ah yes he could be of good use. Such is the opportunity for peace as he is so fond of pointing out. Very well, let us three go north. You may confirm the invitation, Debra."

Nathan looked around his office in Faith Palace and noticed that the chandeliers looked less ornate, the great windows shorter, the walls closer in than they once were. How great even the mention of Goyanes was to make all luster of Sutherland seem tarnished. Certainly Goyanes was the greater of the two nations. Even then, Sutherland remains Sutherland. A gold no matter its purity is still of value even when a 24 karat Goyanean Palace could outshine it. They three would go, but the respect Sutherland for so long had deserved will not be denied. Confidence, grace, determination, and faith would join them on Gothis.

A few days later, they stood with a Goyanean delegation on the steps of Tageskiele Palace imagining what was to come next for them and for their beloved nation.

Sutherlan Delegation to Goyanes
2ns2s74.jpg
34y3ggk.jpg
smswa9.jpg

(Left) Most Faithful Courantist Citizen, Arc-Wonderess Nathan Jarreau of the Sutherland Federation

(Center) Lady Prime, First Servant of Sutherland Debra Cantilis

(Right) Keeper of Faithful Alderon, Michael Seira Inspirator of Alderon

The Sutherlan delegation awaited at the gates of Tageskiele. Anthony, Norberg, and Lorge received them in the foyer.

“Good morning, friends,” said Anthony, extending his hand out to shake.

Norberg and Lorge both also said good morning.

"Shall we go on a tour before or after completing the day's business?" Anthony inquired.

Nathan spoke up, "Your Imperial Majesty, it is an honor to meet with you. I can't help but be taken aback as to the mysterious nature of your invitation. I can only assume that it is of s serious nature and so we would very much like to hear what it is you have to say. After everything is spoken, then we would be honored to tour this heart of Goyanes."

Michael looked on as the Arc-Wonderess spoke. There was only one thought on his mind and that was peace. This mystery troubled him as it is in mystery that sinister plans and chaos are born. Too much had happened to Alderon and Sutherland as a whole to allow anymore loss if he could help it. His was near the point of collapse and the spirit of his people close to the breaking point. He decided to speak up.

"With all due respect, I do hope that Goyanes has called us for the sake of peace instead of expansion. Lord knows there is already too much of that in the world."

Nathan eyed him angrily as everyone awkwardly processed his words in silence.

Last edited:
Back