Accept Essalanea into the Pan-Gotic Union

Nation: Goyanes

Vote: < Yea >

Accept Himika into the Pan-Gotic Union

Nation: Goyanes

Vote: < Nay >

Nation:
The Greater Ilian Coalition of the Eastern Leagues of Itrea and Icetio and the Western Regent Kingdom of Taveris and Isalia
Vote: Yea

Nation:
The Greater Ilian Coalition of the Eastern Leagues of Itrea and Icetio and the Western Regent Kingdom of Taveris and Isalia
Vote: Abstain

Nation: United Kingdom of Ulstome

Nation: United Kingdom of Ulstome

Nation: The Federation of the Vestrugat

Nation: The Federation of the Vestrugat

Nation:

Nation:

Nation: Malor-Kanada

Vote: < Abstain >

Nation: Malor-Kanada

Nation: Federation of Yalkan

Nation: Federation Yalkan

Nation: Grand Federation of Xentherida

Nation: Grand Federation of Xentherida

Vote: < Abstain >

Svane counted the votes, passing the ballots along to the Chancellor's aids to verify the results.

"With a vote of eleven for, none against, and one abstention Essalanea is admitted into the Pan-Gotic Union.
With a vote of two for, eight against, and two abstentions Himika's application is rejected. We thank both delegations with their time. Should Himika wish to apply in the future their delegation is free to."

Svane took a sip of water before continuing.
"I would like to formally welcome the United Clans of Essalanea to the Pan-Gotic Union."

Meyer looked at his Polykor. It was the text. He had been dreading it, but at least he had been able to vote on a PGU resolution, one last time. "I welcome Essalanea as well." Meyer stated soon after. "I think they will make a fine addition to our brotherhood of Gotic nations from all across the globe."

Following the session's conclusion, as the text had alluded to, Meyer cornered Kjeld Svane. "I'm afraid I have to be the bearer of bad news, as you can probably imagine given recent events back in my home country. It's from Nidaros." he said, showing him the text from Karl Vanderlund, the now-outgoing Foreign Minister.

Last edited:
Svane let out an exacerbated sigh looking at the text.
"Well..." he began, "this was inevitable I suppose."

He looked down for a moment before adjusting his glasses before extending his hand to Meyer and offering a smile.
"It was a pleasure to work with you, Anders."

Kjeld Svane cleared his throat.

"My second term is coming to an end. I would be remiss, however, if I didn't raise this discussion before I left office. The current anti-Courantist sentiments rising in Oclusia pose a threat, indirect at the moment, to the PGU member nation the Federation of Yalkan. As my last act as Chancellor? I propose that the PGU issue a condemnation of the Oclusian government and deploy a joint task force to Yalkan to aid in its defence should the worst come to pass."

Magnar rose to his feet and spoke into the microphone

'The United Clans condemn Oclusia's actions, we propose sanctions against the wayward state. While we do not have much to offer in the way of military support we are more than willing to take in refugees. We are prepared to offer an unpopulated region of our land to serve as a refugee safe zone should the persecutions continue.'

Last edited:
The newly-appointed PGU Ambassador from Valland, Christina Driessen- a Federalist- had no compunctions about her opinions on Chancellor Kjeld Svane. Svane was everything the Federalist Party despised; a decisive internationalist leader who, during his tenure, had attempted to leverage the PGU to act as a mediator without the full consent of its members. No doubt to grow his own swampy globalist power, she thought, but this was a rare occasion. Valland could actually work with Sissy Svane on this one.

"A crooked political and societal elite has taken hold of the Oclusian nation and has begun to choke its neck, setting up a rogue state that oppresses the majority of its people." Driessen stated. "It is wholly lacking in freedom, and therefore in legitimacy. Valland has nothing to lose in enacting maximal justice on the current Oclusian regime, and we know the rest of you do not either. Any and all assets from PGU member nations in any and all territories controlled by the current Oclusian regime must be frozen, and both a universal condemnation and embargoes must follow until Oclusia is ready to re-register its legitimacy as a state and cease in its peddling of feckless cowardice. Furthermore, we fully support the idea of sending a taskforce to Yalkan to protect our own from the fanged barbarism of the current Oclusian regime."

Last edited:
Prince Harris Oyvindsson, remaining seated as was the practice of the Gotmark delegations, motioned to speak.

"Whilst a joint task force to aid in the defence of Yalkan is something that Gotmark is not explicitly opposed to, we should primarily be focused on aiding any refugees that make their way into Yalkan. The inner affairs of Oclusia are their own, and calls to sanction them for taking action against subversive elements within their nations are tyrannical in nature. Yes, tyrannical in nature."

Prince Harris looked at a piece of paper passed to him by an aid. "The Courantist leader has said 'All of God's people, I ask of you. Denounce the villainy of this man, make just our cause, and defeat the tide of satanism and evil that has consumed our world.' This is not the call of a peaceful religion. This is a call for religious war to be waged on Oclusia on behalf of the Courantist faith. Gotmark will have no part of it. We suffered under a foreign Courantist ruling house and many of my ancestors were persecuted. The eponymous founder of my house, Job Oyvindsson, was forced into hiding by the House of Aarkvest and many of his people were killed. We are not talking of a peaceful religion. We are speaking of a religion of war, and Gotmark will not be party to any military action against a state protecting itself from them."

Prince Harris finished speaking, and engaged in a whispered conversation with some of his aides.

"With all due respect intended to His Highness the Ambassador" Svane replied, "Courantists in Oclusia can hardly be called a subversive element. This is not a rogue political organization nor a terror cell. We are talking about a religious group. Made up of men, women, and children of free conscious, who in turn simply desire to live their lives."

"The Chancellorship recognizes the distinct history of religious strife in Gotmark, but we cannot apply what happened in Gotmark over a century ago to the situation in Oclusia in the present. If anything the situation in Prydania during the Syndicalist years is a far more appropriate basis of comparison. We suffered through those who persecuted others for religious beliefs before, and we now feel concerned seeing similar abuses repeated elsewhere."

"The Chancellorship would also remind the Gotmark delegation that Yalkan is both a PGU ally and a Courantist-majority nation. His Highness the Prince wished to condemn the Pope's comments in these chambers. Allow me to condemn the President of Oclusia's own words."

Svane cleared his throat and read from the paper in front of him.
'We would like to further note that any Courantist caught trying to cross the border into the nations of Yalkan, Nurbolav, or even Saintoge will be met with detention or death at the border.'

"You Highness" Svane continued.
"These are not the peaceful words of a man dealing with an internal issue. This borders on ethnic cleansing. And it represents a direct threat to the sovereignty of Yalkan. It is because of these factors that the Chancellorship insists on sanctions, condemnation, and the deployment of a PGU taskforce to help protect Yalkan's sovereignty."

"The Gotmark delegation requires no reminders from the Chancellorship as to Yalkan's PGU status." Prince Harris replied acidly. "We are aware of Yalkan's status and support the idea of a humanitarian based military deployment to that nation. We will not support sanctions or a military invasion. We will oppose such. We will not abide by a sanctions regime. We will not join a religious crusade called by the Courantist papacy and we will consider deploying the Geldkrieger to oppose such a crusade.

The situation is clearly troubling," The Prince continued, "but until there is evidence of actual massacres or deaths at the border, then Gotmark insists that the PGU not act as a warmongering force, especially for a religious war. Humanitarian aid for refugees - who are welcome in Gotmark as all refugees are - and negotiations with the Oclusian regime are clearly in the best interests of all, but instead some here would rather act as avatar for religious war, doing the bare minimum to resolve the situation diplomatically before using Yalkan as a launching point for an invasion into Oclusia. Civilians would be killed and much destruction wrought on innocents were that to happen. That would be even more repulsive than any actions happening in Oclusia currently."

Løfgren quickly came back into the main hall to sit down at his seat. Only to stand back up to speak.

"I am only permitted to ask for humanitarian aid at this time. We expect, as you might have guessed, a great influx of refugees in the coming days. There will be no war on our part. We seek none. To suggest as such is an insult to our long held peace. The Oclusi peoples are not our enemy. Obviously we will be watching the situation with great interest. Negotiations are being attempted as we speak. We are hoping to come to a resolution that does not result in any loss of life. However, should it come to the unthinkable we are heartened to have your support. The next few days will be quite busy."

He sat back down only to be informed by an aid about another call.

Årnad stood before his peers once again, in traditional fashion.

"Firstly I would to note that it is horrible what happened in Gotmark generations ago, but the message from Pope John is not a call for war. It is a call to defeat the violation of human rights."

He cleared his throat.

"I find it sad that Gotmark would accuse the peaceful Courantist majority, and I stress, majority, of being a subversive element. As Svane has already said, these people are normal citizenry being harassed and persecuted by a government of the minority. If I may reference the Oclusian President's address, he cited a disparity in unemployment figures as the basis for this. Unemployment figures."

He took a sip of water.

"Now instead of taking the sensible route of introducing social programs and unemployment benefits and things of the like, their president went straight to persecuting the majority of people in his country with not only curfews, but threats of death and violence. This is degeneracy in its most upfront form. And to address your concerns, Prince Harris, Goyanes does not seek war. I don't think anyone in here seeks war. "

He shook his head.

"I have already been informed that my foreign ministry is accepting expedited applications for asylum. We are already taking the steps to alleviate any possib;e refugee crisis for Yalkan. We just need to bring it all together and coordinate our efforts. However, we have also introduced economic sanctions. Not only is it a bargaining chip in possible negotiations, but it demonstrates that Goyanes refuses to cooperate with those who violate human rights in such a blatantly horrible way."

He collected his papers.

"Having said that I am of the opinion that we need to coordinate refugee and asylum processing, so as not to excessively burden Yalkan. As such, I volunteer Goyanes as a relocation site. Not only is Goyanes economically stable and geographically close-by, but it has a Courantist and cultural tradition that would make a much less jarring transition for these poor people. I yield."

He sat back down, and shuffled his papers, somewhat of a nervous tick for him.

Ulstome's Foreign and PGU minister, Henry Romson, had been tapping impatiently on the arm of his chair as he listened to the others give their nations position on the Oclusian issue. Once he had his opportunity to speak he rose from his seat.

"Good day to you all. I would firstly like to reiterate Ulstome's condemnation of Oclusia's abhorrent actions. To consider a military response at this point in time is quite simply foolish in my view, it would paint us as provokers... as aggressors.... we should not make the PGU appear to act this way. Until direct aggression is taken and not indirect aggression by them then militaristic actions would be poor moves to make for us. Instead and I will stress that we do, we should apply economic and diplomatic pressure onto them, their poor attempt on justifying their actions cited unemployment, well, a lack of trade would do much harm to a nations economy and employment. Furthermore we must do all we can to provide humanitarian assistance and help the unfortunate people affected by these foolish decisions. Ulstome will take in as many as it can, we have much space to house them, many farms and city areas they can work if they want to, a benefit system that will do whatever it can to support them, excellently funded schools that can help educate them.

However if Oclusia do not change their ways, if they do not reverse thier course of action then we can support a more... forceful approach.”

Last edited:
Lucie Marquette stood to speak.

“I agree with the Goyanean, Prydanian, Vallish, and Ulstomean delegations on this matter. The actions of the Oclusian government are a serious violation of basic human rights. This issue is very important to Highton... many, if not the majority, of Courantists in Oclusia are of Hightonian descent or are Hightonian dual-citizens. If would he welcomed if allies of the Crowned Republic were prepared to receive Courantist refugees, and they too will be welcome in Highton. Highton is not asking for a declaration of war, Your Highness, Highton is asking for a universal condemnation of Oclusia and nations prepared to welcome those Courantists displaced by the new laws.”

Last edited:
Next to speak was Kari Vistell, likely her last time speaking in here as she was part of the old Centrist administration of Andrenne and they'd been out of power since May.

"Andrenne is a secular state. It has been so for many years now. Yet despite that we find these actions reprehensible and disgusting. To Prince Harris, with all due respect, it should not matter that they're Courantist. If this was any other religious group, would you be lambasting it as so-called 'crusade'? If they were irreligious, would you still consider it a call to arms by the Papacy to speak and ac t against such horrid actions? Prince Harris, this may come off as rude, but I think your inexperience on the global stage is showing. No matter the religious or ethnic group, a breach of human rights is an awful thing that can not be ignored simply due to past internal strife. Yes, what happened in Gotmark is a tragedy, but that doesn't mean you should stand by and watch another tragedy occur because of your own dispositions towards a religious group. Those would be the actions of an impudent child, your majesty."

With her very angry rant over, she took a deep breath, drank some water, and got back onto the main topic.

"As for the actions that the PGU should be taking, Andrenne believes that humanitarian aid should not even need to be discussed and should be sent as soon as possible. A union wide condemnation of Oclusia's actions followed by economic sanctions is, in our eyes, the best course of action for the time being. We believe a PGU task force should be organized and sent to the Yalkanian-Oclusian border in the case that the Yalkanian border guard simply can't handle such a flow of refugees and potentially hostile Oclusian police forces that, according to their president, would be hunting down fleeing Courantist refugees. We also believe this PGU task force would prevent any hostile Oclusian actions towards Yalkan. We must safeguard these refugees and our own members. Andrenne will be welcoming the refugees with open arms. We hope that others within the PGU that have not spoken yet will do the same."

"Gotmark will take no lectures on human rights from Andrenne, considering your history with the Ajovulkan and how those that sought to kill and persecute non-Courantists in Gotmark originated from your nation. You're right in one thing, and I very much hope your replacement learns from your errors and is heavier on the respect and lighter on the condescension, it should not matter that they're Courantist. Gotmark does not dispute this and we have opened our borders to any and all refugees who wish to find their way to our shores, as we do with all refugees. It becomes an issue, and I very much hope the political situation in Andrenne is not too distracting for you to follow Gotmark's line of thinking, ambassador, when a religious leader calls for global action up to and including war. That is a call to Crusade. And Crusades will only lead to the death of innocents in the name of those who will never face the consequences of their actions."

Prince Harris had risen from his seat, a rarity for a member of the Gotmarker delegation. "Gotmark agrees on the issue of humanitarian aid and personnel being sent to Yalkan to help deal with any displaced persons. It will not take part in a sanctions regime against Oclusia and if Gotmark believes that an unwarranted religious crusade is to occur in Oclusia, we will deploy, with the consent of the Oclusian government, Geldkreiger regiments to protect civilians that would otherwise be at risk from the horrors of religious warfare. This is not an option Gotmark will take lightly, but we do not trust the words of this Pope who calls for action, and we will not do so, unless there is a subsequent statement ruling out a call for military action."

Last edited:
Kjeld Svane sipped his water and observed. Occasionally a member of the Prydanian government came forward to pass along a note from Beaconsviði.
Finally he chose to speak.

"His Highness the Ambassador from Gotmark has made a lot of hay out of a supposed 'crusade' called upon by the Pope. He has admonished the Chancellorship and others in this council of wishing to use Yalkan as a springboard for an offensive war."

He sipped some more water before confronting.

"Your Highness, in the totality of this situation there have been two people who have threatened violence. The President of Oclusia and yourself, by using the Geldkrieger as a threat. All I have done, in my role as Chancellor, is to propose sending a task force to Yalkan. As a contingency. Not once did I advocate for an offensive war against Oclusia. Your characterization of the Chancellorship's proposals is dubious and disingenuous."

"I must also confess, Your Highness, that I am shocked. Shocked that you read into the Pope's words and search for implied calls to war on one hand yet are willing to excuse the Oclusian President's own threats of bloodshed on the other."

"Regardless, I would remind Your Highness that the Pope is not a member of this council. The Via is not a member of the Pan-Gotic Union. And in light of those facts I would suggest to His Highness that he stop trying to characterize a more pro-active approach being debated here as part of some overarching Courantist religious war. Your Highness? Stop it. No one here is threatening Oclusia with offensive force, no one here is blindly marching alongside a call to war from the Papacy. I strongly advise His Highness and the rest of Gotmark's delegation to cease with the anti-Courantist fear mongering."

"And I do not choose this term loosely. Gotmark's delegation chooses to insist that a diplomatic solution must be found. A noble goal on the surface. Yet you insist, Your Highness, that we not condemn Oclusia or vote in favour of sanctions. Two of the strongest peaceful tools this alliance has to force a resolution diplomatically.
I ask Gotmark's delegation. Why do you oppose sanctioning a state that has actively begun to persecute a religious group? The actions of Oclusia not only pose a threat to Yalkan, a PGU member state, but they also violate the principles we all claim to adhere to in this alliance. Principles such as freedom of religion, conscience, and of association. These principles do not come with an asterisk. They are not ignorable on account of individual prejudices."

Svane felt his blood boiling. It had been a while since he'd been moved to such a passionate position, but he felt as if he were on something of a mission.

"I suggest Gotmark's delegation find a way to overcome their engrained anti-Courantist sentiment if Gotmark's delegation is truly serious about its willingness to help aid Courantist refugees fleeing Oclusia."

"Your Highness," Christina chimed in in a tone that could be described as anything but cheery, "You say that the situation is clearly troubling, but you refuse to do anything until the Oclusian regime regresses to bare slaughter? Take a look in the mirror and don't forget that a human is looking back!"

"We too are a secular state, but there is no royal history between us you can tu quoque us with, so save us the snark and let's get to the facts. Nowhere in the Pope's message was any mention of military action or a crusade of any sort. A religious leader has spoken out for his brothers and sisters against what can only be described as MID-STAGE FASCISM."

"We know the horrors of fascism all too well, Your Highness. Do you? The answer is that you do not! First hate gathers and festers, then it defines itself, then it attacks its target verbally, then legally, then physically; and finally, genocidally! The regime in Oclusia has done all but the last two, and not only does Gotmark wish to wait until the regime regresses to late stage fascism, but you've offered to protect them with your famous Geldkriegers?"

"The Chancellor is not wrong in his designation of Your Highness' conduct as nothing but fearmongering. And if you wish to persist in it; to persist in your irrational mischaracterization of the statements of a religious leader whose brothers and sisters are being persecuted by the minute by a rogue state and who is not even a member of this council; to persist in your refusal to honor the principles of this alliance and to look out for the safety of your fellow members?"

Christina pointed to the exit.

"There's the door!"

"Anyone who listened to the Pope's statement and didn't hear a threat of violence in the phrase 'make just our cause' is ignorant of the extensive religious and especially Courantant context of that phrase. Courantant theologians invented the concept of a 'just war' and if the use of that phrase in a modern context doesn't concern you then perhaps I can help with another - those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it. I see here people willing to use diplomatic means to solve this dispute, but there will also be those in your home governments who would use this as an event to increase their prestige or even," Prince Harris paused, then glanced briefly towards the Vallish, "their polling numbers."

"Gotmark would like to find a diplomatic solution and we do not believe that sanctions bring people to the table with an open mind, Chancellor. Nor have we have stated that we are opposed to any condemnation. My government is planning to join any PGU statement that both condemns Oclusia and also puts forward the prospect of mediation to solve this crisis. We will not join sanctions because we do not believe they will work, and we do not believe they will achieve anything beyond hardening the response in Oclusia. Deploying the Geldkrieger to protect civilians is not a military threat, but a humanitarian principle that apparently the other members of this council do not share. Perhaps we are mistaken. Perhaps the Via's call for a crusade will not infect fellow governments in this council, but Gotmark will prepare for the worst, as we always do."

Prince Harris downed now in full to the delegation from Valland, sighing audibly. "And now, I suppose, I should address the hysterics of the Vallish. As already stated, the phrase 'make just our cause' invokes the Courantant originating idea of a 'just war'. This is not a new concept from them and has been around for many centuries. I will gift the delegation a book on the subject once they have calmed down enough to give me a shipping address.

As to the rest of your rant, we very much know the horrors of fascism, ambassador. A quarter of a million of my brothers and sisters fought in the Fascist War and your words are an insult to their memory and you should be ashamed of yourself for them. We faced down fascism when it came our time to do just that and we did it in numbers neither we nor our friends in Goyanes expected. We suffered under what I would describe as Courantant fascism under the Aarkvests 140 years before fascism again infected this continent and just as we fought against it in the Fascist War when the time came, we faced it down then too."

Prince Harris takes a sip of water. "You accuse us of refusing to honour the principles of this alliance and of refusing to look out for the safety of our fellow members. That is an outrage - at no point have we declared opposition to doing just that. We support the deployment of a humanitarian force to help Valland deal with any refugees and we support pragmatic, workable steps to resolve this conflict. That you don't, that your reply to our doubt is to demand we leave, is proof more of Valland's intransigence than any charge you can lay at our feet - and we'll not, Ambassador, that amongst those principles you are so willing to invoke to bully those who disagree with you - a tactic of the fascists you claim to oppose - is that of co-operation. Instead of co-operating with Gotmark, of working with us to help find a real workable solution, you seek instead to malign us and, indeed, evict us from this council."

Prince Harris turned away from the Vallish delegation in disgust. "Frankly, it is the act of an early stage fascist to act as you have, and you should be ashamed."

"I will not be ashamed for opposing fascism in all its forms." Christina replied. "You mentioned the House of Aarkvest. We too suffered under the grip of feudalism for many centuries, and many of those feudal regimes were Courantist. This does not give us, in the modern day, an excuse to soften our measures against those who persecute them, and neither should you."

"In addition, not only did millions of Vallanders fight in the Fascist Wars, but the enemy itself invaded us from all sides. We fought at the front lines, and we choose today to honor their memory by continuing their struggle. It is you who dishonors the memory of those who fought on your own nation's behalf by campaigning for what is, in actuality, in no way pragmatic. What Gotmark is proposing is naught but a normalization of fascist entities as deserving of the same respect and treatment as democratic ones."

"You propose to negotiate with the Oclusian regime as if they held legitimacy. But if there was any legitimacy that regime had, Your Highness, they abandoned it when they chose to suspend the basic human rights of the majority of their population. And yet when this approach is questioned, you put your allies on the same level as the Oclusian regime by dubbing them fascists and insinuate we wish to act on the will of the Papacy, whether or not it has called for a crusade, though naught but mental gymnastics insinuates that they are."

"We act on the behalf of no one but ourselves. I am here to represent the will of the Vallish people, just as the rest of the ambassadors here are here to represent the wills of their peoples. Valland's creed is not found in the Bible; it is found at the ballot box. It is the democratic rights and liberties of mankind, liberties the Oclusian regime has chosen to suspend and ignore. What Gotmark is proposing is not practicality. This is apologia. This is deflection. It is you, sir, who should be ashamed. I point you to the door not because I am the fascist you claim me to be but because you are operating contrary to the very principles of this Union, of which you, may I remind you, are a member."

Last edited:
Kjeld Svane had never had to use his gavel as Chancellor and Chairman of the PGU Assembly. He'd honestly believed it was mostly for show. He wasn't even sure if it would work rather than break if used, but what better time to find out? His term would be over sooner rather than later anyway.

"Order!" he insisted as he banged the gavel, relieved that it didn't snap at the head.
"Order!" he repeated.

"We can all admit that this is a tense, passion-inducing situation. I myself have not been free from such passions, but inviting a fellow delegation in this assembly to leave is hardly productive" the Chancellor stated firmly looking at the Vallish delegation.

Svane turned his attentions to Gotmark's delegation once more.
"The President of Oclusia has threatened death to Courantists attempting to cross into a PGU member state. That is a direct threat of violence. To me this carries more weight than outdated interpretations of Courantist religious language. Your delegation's point will be taken when the Pope calls for military intervention. Until then I can only consider this fear mongering. It isn't the Pope threatening to gun down refugees. It's the Oclusian President. Keep that in mind, Your Highness, the next time you accuse anyone else of pushing this situation towards armed conflict."

"As for Your Highness' accusations that the Via's policies might 'infect' the decisions of member governments? Anyone with a general understanding of Reformation history would find the idea that the Courantist Church holds sway over the Prydanian government to be ludicrous on the face of it. I shall not get into the religious histories of every PGU member state, but I do believe I must insist- a strong response to Oclusia is not evidence of an over-arching Courantist conspiracy. The Prydanian government condemns the Oclusian state not because we under the Via's sway but because we find the act of religious persecution to be intolerable."

"To your delegation's primary points, Your Highness, I must ask for clarification. You have referred to the Courantist population of Oclusia as a subversive element. The Chancellorship finds it unbecoming of someone who claims to wish to solve a humanity crisis to also refer to the victims of said crisis in such language. I myself have accused your delegation of anti-Courantist sentiment. Accusations I have made based on what I perceive from your delegation. So again, I ask for clarification. Does the Gotmark government consider Courantists in Oclusia to be a 'subversive element'? And if so how do you feel your government can retain the moral high ground in calling for aid and compassion to the people you are accusing?"

Last edited:
"I am not here to be subjected to an inquisition, Chancellor, and Gotmark objects to your line of questioning. Instead of focusing on this crisis, you are seeking to create another one and doing yourself a disservice. We will not answer further questions as to our opinion on the Courantist population in Oclusia. We remain committed to a peaceful resolution and will oppose those such as Valland who would take this council to war for the sake of a few percentage points on an opinion poll. We will have no part of it. We will not, unless provided with clear evidence or reasoning for how they would work, support a sanctions regime. What we will do is continue to advocate for a pragmatic and just approach to this issue.

We remain committed to the proposed humanitarian task force to be deployed to Yalkan and move that the Chancellor begin a formal vote on the formation of such a task force. We remain opposed to a sanctions regime that will likely only harm the very people we seek to protect, and only harden the resolve of Oclusia.

Our stance is not apologia. Our stance is consistent with our ideals and the idea that peace is almost always preferable to war, that co-operation overcomes division and that good faith negotiations will overcome fascistic attempts at strong-arming opponents. It is with regret that I note not every member of this council shares these ideals."

"There is no crisis here, Your Highness," Christina noted. "Nor does Valland wish to plunge this alliance into a war. You continue to misrepresent and spin our words, and you should be ashamed for doing so, as well as for insinuating that our questioning of your intentions is to appease polls of any sort. This is not a political issue. This is a humanitarian one."

"What Gotmark is doing is manufacturing this 'crisis' it has mentioned when, as it can see in the Chancellor's words, Valland is very much not alone in questioning Gotmark's words. For that part, I would say that this is no inquisition either. We are not looking to oppress you as if we were the Oclusian regime. You have merely been asked a question by your fellow member of this assembly, and it does this assembly a disservice for you not to answer it."

"I should also like to note at this time, that regarding the proposed task force to be deployed to Yalkan, I second the motion to vote. I further move that a vote be held on the imposition of sanctions on the Oclusian regime. Compared to this alliance, Oclusia possesses much less mobility to act. Your Highness underestimates the ability of this alliance to pressure the regime to repeal its neo-fascist laws against the majority of the Oclusian people."

Last edited:
"Your government's opinion on the very people being oppressed is very much an issue, Your Highness. Especially when you chose to describe millions of innocent men, women, and children as 'subversive elements' of society. Those were your words that you volunteered to use in this assembly. I am not an inquisitor for insisting you take responsibility for your own actions, and find continued anti-Courantist dog whistling to be troubling."

"I cannot say for certain if your comments were a poor choice of words or a slip of the mask hiding something far more sinister in Gotmark, but I can say this. Your refusal to clarify that statement leaves the Chancellorship with the belief that Gotmark is not acting in the best interests of the victims of this crisis, and that its stance is indeed being fuelled by religious intolerance. These are serious accusations, Your Highness, but I do not make them lightly. It seems as if the Gotmark ideal of a just approach is the continued second class status of Oclusian Courantists."

"Your point is taken though, regarding the time for action. The Chancellorship shall put forth a number of proposals to the PGU assembly. The Chair seconds the Gotmark delegation's call for the formation of a humanitarian mission to Yalkan to aid in the refugee crisis. The Chair also seconds the Vallish delegation's call for the formation of a joint PGU military task force to aid in humanitarian efforts and to provide defensive aid to the Yalkan government. Additionally the Chair seconds the Vallish delegation's call for economic sanctions on Oclusia."

"The chair also moves to vote on a statement of condemnation. Is there a second for this proposal?"

Code:
[b]Send a PGU Humanitarian Task Force to Yalkan[/b]

[b]Nation:[/b]

[b]Vote:[/b] < Yea > < Nay >

Code:
[b]Send a PGU Joint Military Task Force to Yalkan as a Defensive Measure[/b]

Code:
[b]A Vote for PGU-Wide Economic Sanctions Against the Democratic Republic of Oclusia[/b]

Code:
[b]A Vote to Condemn the Democratic Republic of Oclusia on the grounds of religious discrimination and human rights violations[/b]

Send a PGU Humanitarian Task Force to Yalkan

Nation: Gotmark

Send a PGU Joint Military Task Force to Yalkan as a Defensive Measure

Vote: < Aye >

A Vote for PGU-Wide Economic Sanctions Against the Democratic Republic of Oclusia

A Vote to Condemn the Democratic Republic of Oclusia on the grounds of religious discrimination and human rights violations

I have submitted the above votes on behalf of the Grand Duchy of Gotmark. Regardless of the outcome on the vote for PGU-wide economic sanctions, Gotmark will invoke it's right under Clause 3 of Article 1 of the PGU Constitution to opt out of any sanctions levied against Oclusia.

There has been no serious attempt by the Chair or other members of this council to convince Gotmark that sanctions will have any positive effect on the prospects for peace or a resolution to this issue.

Instead, we have been insulted, accused of betraying the principles of this alliance and of being apologists for fascism, and even told to leave the PGU entirely, with nothing but the least sanction of the chair on those engaging in the attempted bullying of our delegation.

The Chair has then engaged in an Inquisition style interrogation of our delegation, levelling further accusations of 'dog-whistling' and not acting in the best interests of the victims of this crisis, despite our repeated statements to the contrary.

Gotmark therefore lodges a formal note of progress against the Chair.

Last edited:

Nation: Valland

A Vote for PGU-Wide Economic Sanctions Against the Democratic Republic of Oclusia

A Vote to Condemn the Democratic Republic of Oclusia on the grounds of religious discrimination and human rights violations

Last edited:

Nation: Prydania

Last edited:

Nation:United Kingdom of Ulstome

We all rushed this vote forward, and it was unfair to those who have not yet had a chance to say their piece. As such votes are FROZEN. Votes cast are still valid but again, votes are FROZEN. No more voting. We'll give anyone who has not yet had a chance to have a say to say their piece. We will all retroactively place these statements BEFORE the voting. Once everyone is done we will UNFREEZE the voting period. People who have already voted can revise their votes if the new arguments sway them, and people who haven't voted may do so.

Svane once again looked to the Gotmark delegation.
"You chose to refer to millions of innocent men, women, and children as a subversive element on account of their faith, Your Highness. You cannot do this and feign outrage when I conclude that you do not have the best interests of these people at heart. Again, this was language you chose to use. Clarify your government's stance on the matter or live with the responsibilities of the speech you have chosen to use."

Back