State of the Commonwealth Address [Open]

Atheenos

TNPer and Flag Man
YaRjzv0.png

The United Provinces of Kian

Last edited:
As I look upon the crowd, the wild masses eager for today’s speech, I ponder the future of this nation. These people, poor and wealthy alike, joined together for the common cause of patriotism to support my rise to power. Against the odds of our fraudulent Parliament, I managed to become the President of my homeland, of my Kianese paradise. Some wear rather formal attire to respect me, while others choose to dawn the colors of the United Provinces’ flag. Personally, I am content with either choice, since they both represent the diversity of thought and presentation, a freedom which has not been favored by the leaders of the past. While walking up onto the stage, waving at the hundreds of citizens smiling and cheering at my presence, I feel that sense of pride that I thought I lost; last time I felt it was on election night when I seemingly beat the odds, the odds of being the true face of the opposition to win in a horribly corrupt system. I take a moment to stare at these people and to take in the surrounding nature. Even with the cheers blocking out the sounds of the birds chirping and the water slamming onto the surface from the artificial waterfall, it creates a new form of serenity in the surrounding area. Under my breath, I sigh and mutter, “I won’t fail my country”.

Before taking to the podium, an announcer asks everyone to stand for the pledge of allegiance and to salute to the flag. This has been the tradition for decades, starting with the dictatorship in 1912, but even today it lasts; if I had my way, I would change this to become a less militaristic event. Even with my disdain for this tradition, I know that I am now the role model for the generations alive and those to come, so I make sure that my stance is tall, my posture perfect, and my arm bent at the exact angle. My eyes dart at the flag, with its blue and white banded glory. In the wind, the triband moves so elegantly and delicately. Its ripples seem to be meticulously placed, not random or unnatural. In the center, the coat of arms moves with the oceanic bands. The yellow coloration beams off the fabric into my eyes, the black hawk proudly chanting the national anthem alongside us with its gaping mouths. On top of the crest, the Commonwealth Star gleams triumphantly. Under my presidency, I’ll bring meaning and value back to this great symbol. I’ll bring principle, I’ll bring history, and I’ll bring progress back to our land and flag. Upon finishing the anthem, I lower my arm and silently walk to the large podium. The tapping of my shoes on the wooden platform has been amplified, giving me a greater presence over the crowd; the news cameras follow each movement I make. I reach the podium and alter the microphone to fit my height accordingly; I am definitely not the tallest Kianese leader, but it’s my ideals that give my stature. After this, I notice my script laid out. Gazing down on the list of mindless paragraphs that I know I didn’t write, I immediately understood the speech the Parliament wants me to give. Smirking, I clear my throat and begin.

“This nation, the United Provinces of Kian, is our home. For far too long our people have suffered under the systems and oppressors of our past. For far too long our people have succumbed to the worst threats imaginable by the very politicians that we trusted to represent us. For far too long, we have given power to the corrupt for a sense of freedom…”

I pause, stop to look at my audience, and crumple up the brainless paper created by these politicians. With passion filling my emotions and thoughts, I announce:

“The United Provinces has forever been blessed with bountiful resources and even more prosperous citizens. Our location on the map gives us an advantage, as well, placing us outside of immediate threats on the other continents. Yet, we have allowed our greatest threat to take the nation over. They do not come from a foreign land, no, they come on our home territory. The corruption of our politicians and public defenders has trained us to surrender our natural rights. When I asked my municipality as a lowly representative, the vast majority saw the government as a force for ‘good’ and defender of our rights. We have been subliminally trained to believe this. After being in office for over a month, I can assure you all that we cannot trust these people pretending to represent your interests! Under my leadership, I will clean our political system and finally free it from the shackles of our Parliamentary overlords. Instead of finally creating the republican nation we all hoped for, we transferred power from an autocracy to a plutocracy. I will ensure truly free and fair elections, protect the rights given to each and every one of us at birth, and target politicians who have irreparably harmed the liberties of the populace. We need not war and expansion to find our place in this world. We need to focus on our infrastructure, allocating more funds to public transport by lowering military spending. We need to trust the free market, as well, alleviating restrictions on the economy which has given authority to the federal government. Finally, I will put the ‘provinces’ back in the ‘United Provinces’. As our central government has amassed power and influence, the local governments have taken hits to freedoms granted in the constitution.

These words will hurt my political career and will risk my own welfare, as well as my family’s, but it’s time that we have a cultural revolution. I am going to fight the system that hindered our collective growth, while also granting more opportunities to the common man and woman. I will risk my position as President for you and the constitution. This nation has so much potential, so it’s about time that we act on it”.

Finishing my speech, sounds of excitement and unadulterated relief fill the air. Hearing “President Clayton!” repeatedly chanted brings me awe. Finally, I have the support I need to progress my homeland. I may lose those I care about, but in return will be the United Provinces’ fortune; sometimes, we need loss to grow from the ashes. Thinking this to myself as I walk off stage away from the public eye, a man snaps my trance by gripping onto my shoulder. Pulling me aside, the well-shaven man looks harshly at me. His navy blazer, white buttoned-down shirt, and neatly combed hair give away his rank: one of those politicians I targeted. Slightly shoving me into the curtains, he says, “William, what did you do? You had one job, and that was to read the script we approved for you! Now you’ve gotten the public against us! It’s this outcry that got your party elected in the first place”. Scoffing, he takes a breath from his charge. I immediately respond, saying, “That’s what our people need. They need a wakeup call from the corruption plaguing them. You, Langden, you are the problem with the United Provinces. I force his hand off my shoulder and slowly walk down the makeshift staircase. In response, he exclaims, “You have no idea what mistake you’ve made. You just declared war on the Parliament, on the establishment!” I think of my response, finally stopping and adding, “At least I have truth, justice, and principle on my side. I may not have the resources or the influence to take you down, but I will have those citizens out there and I will have the constitution. You can take away my ability to fight, but you’ll never destroy my will or love for this country”. Finishing my sentence, I continue my descent.

AiHnRzp.png

State of the Commonwealth; Our Takeaways
Written by: Danica Pearson, Senior UKPC Author & Editor

Last night, recently elected President William Clayton gave his first State of the Commonwealth Address. Clayton, the youngest President to lead the United Provinces, made history by also winning both the electoral and popular vote for the opposition and anti-establishment Clarkson Union Platform. The party, supporting constitutional reform and general liberal policy for the populace, has been continually berated and attacked by the government, which has been largely controlled by the Wilson Platform. After giving his electrifying speech targeting corruption in Parliament, President Clayton was directly criticized by MPs from the WP. Representative Paula Sharpe (WP) remarked, "Our President has been shaping a dangerous precedent in this nation. He has actively stirred up sentiments in the public which have fed on the hate of our great men and women who serve them on a daily basis. He has no regard for our positions and institutions, which allow the UPK to run smoothly". Similarly, Representative Gerald Smith (WP) added, "The politics of our future will be messy and possibly marked in the blood of revolution. President Clayton is clearly looking for a fight against the establishment, a fight that could unravel the very fabric of our governmental structure".

Following his speech, President Clayton went public, saying that he is looking to open more trade relations with the nation Midir. He hopes that a strong economic parter can boost both domestic economic growth and diplomatic resolutions during future world conflict. This is also in his plan to possibly join the IEF during his presidency. Along with this, his Demilitarization Accordance Act will be his first Executive Order, dropping the current overseas military numbers over a gradual six year period. Finally, President Clayton added that he may look to break up the Wilson Platform, believing that "the party has accumulated so much power that it now acts as the very dictatorship that it was supposed to succeed". He supports diversifying the political spectrum, giving more outlets for the citizens to voice their opinions or values. According to his advisors, Clayton outlined various parties stemming from the WP, but no actions or resolutions have been made public. At the United Provincial News Corporation, we will be collecting and assessing the President's later reactions, as well as those made by prominent Parliament members.​

Back