Pan-Gotic Union

Aarik Bjornssun, appointed representative of the Ajóvulką Laassamtög1, strode into the council chambers. His balded head and graying beard, framing a face worn from a lifetime at sea, cut a rather striking figure, and those looking closer noted two small pins decorated his lapel, that of the Ajovulkan coat of arms chosen by the Laassamtög as well as the Separatist flag. He clutched a plain briefcase in his right hand as he strode confidently towards the center of the room. Slowly turning to look at all the representatives, nodding at Kjeld Svane as he passed and locking eyes with the Goyanean and Andrennian delegations deliberately, Aarik stopped.

He cleared his throat and then spoke in heavily accented Mercanti. "To introduce myself: I am Aarik Bjornssun, Acting Representative of the Ajóvulką Laassamtög to the Pan-Gotic Union for the current issue at hand, regarding the sovereignty of Ajóvulką I would thank Chairman Svane for granting the Laasamtög the chance to speak before the Pan-Gotic Union with myself as their representative. It is among the tenets of democracy to guarantee that all have a voice, no? So, now that I am here on behalf of my people, it is proper that we begin the discussion regarding Ajovulka's Independence."

He nodded his head once again towards Svane, and then moved towards his temporary seat.

1The Ajovulkan term for the leading coalition in the Allnamðr, or the Ajovulkan government. Translates to "The Ajovulkan Independence Coalition"

Kjeld Svane nodded.
"I want to thank Mr. Bjornssun for agreeing to be with us, and provide the missing piece in this debate. It's imperative that all sides are heard if any progress, directed by the PGU or otherwise, are heard."
He took a sip from his mug.

"I wish to reiterate that point. Members of this council, as well as certain politicians in certain member states, seem to think I am expanding the PGU beyond its mandate. That to even discuss this within these halls is an infringement on 'national sovereignty.' Let me be clear. I did not raise this issue in this assembly. Nor do I view PGU involvement in the settlement of this issue positively. Ideally the Andrennian government, Goyanean government, and the Ajovulkan people would come together to work out a fair and equitable settlement. That hasn't happened, however. The dissolution of UKAG didn't solve it, the Fascist War didn't solve it. So here we are."

He sipped some more ice water, taking time to gather his thoughts.

"And I am a believer in what the PGU can accomplish. I don't look to infringe on national sovereignty of any nation, but the PGU can be used to as a forum for these sorts of resolutions. So here is what I am proposing. The Andrennian government, the Goyanean government, and Ajovulkan representatives can negotiate a permanent settlement, free of PGU interference. If these parties are unable to arrive at such a settlement? Then the Chancellery will put forward the following resolution."

PGU RESOLUTION: AJOVULKAN REFERENDUM

Noting that the Ajovulkan islands have existed in a contested state since the dissolution of the United Kingdom of Andrenne and Goyanes,
Noting that the Constitutional Monarchy of Andrenne and the Imperial Federation of Goyanes have yet to resolve the issue of sovereignty over the islands,
Noting that there is an active Ajovulkan independence movement,
Recognizing that self-determination out to be held by this Union in the highest of regards,

Resolves that the Pan-Gotic Union will hold a non-binding referendum on the Ajoviulkan islands to help determine the issue of sovereignty. Such a referendum will include the options of

1. Goyanean Sovereignty
2. Andrennian Sovereignty
3. Political independence

Noting that such a referendum will allow the Pan-Gotic Union to view which areas of the Ajovulkan islands are more supportive of each option and hoping this will lead to a negotiated settlement that reflects the will of the Ajovulkan people.

Årnad looked with contempt at this Bjornssun. This was illegitimate, to say the least. After hearing Svane and this Ajovulkan speak, he stood for himself.

"The Goyanean delegation finds these terms acceptable, and upon agreement by the Andrennians, are prepared to schedule a summit."

Vistell moved her hand from the bridge of her nose and looked up towards the rest of the delegates.

"The Andrennian delegation is in agreement with the Goyanean delegation, and we are willing to schedule a summit within this week. We hope to have this issue resolved before the month is done."

Lucie Marquette spoke looking for confirmation.

"I assume there is no need to vote on the referendum, judging by the fact that both Goyanes and Andrenne have agreed to solve the dispute diplomatically."

To the Member States of The Pan Gotic Union

We the United Clans of Essalanea hereby present our nation as a candidate for membership within the Union. Over the course of millennia, we have grown and changed immensely from our Aleman forefathers but blood ties remain. As we rejoin the wider world after centuries of isolation we hope to rekindle the links we have with our brother and sister nations across the span and face of Eras, we offer our friendship and loyalty to all who would have peaceful intent. We leave the matter to the consideration of the Union.

From Anegrette Kimbri
Demi Chief of Essalanea

On Behalf of Gaiseric Volkmann
High Chief of Essalanea

To the Assembled Nations of the PGU

Svane checked his notes before he nodded at Ambassador Marquette.

"With Andrenne and Goyanes agreeing to actively work on a solution then there is no need to vote on a PGU-enforced referendum at the moment."

He sipped from his cup, adorned with the cartoon stag twirling a basketball.

"With that settled for the time being? My term has come to an end. As such it is time for another Chancellorship election. I open the floor for nominations."

Marquette took the microphone again.

"Firstly, with regards to the application of Essalanea, the Crowned Republic is fully in support and sees no problems whatsoever with the potential admission of that state. Secondly, I'd like to nominate Kjeld Svane for a second term as chancellor of the union as I believe he has done an excellent job in the past four months, particularly with the handling of the Ajokulka debate."

Anders Meyer knew his days were numbered as Valland's PGU delegate, and as the PGU's Deputy Chancellor. The Federalists were almost certainly going to fire him at the crack of 2020, and appoint someone who was both not neutral and more skeptical of the PGU. He was already old- he had planned to retire from politics in the next few years. However, it had become apparent that his time had come, and it had come now rather than then. Making up his mind quickly, the old delegate decided to speak up.

"I second Mr. Svane's nomination."

The elder Commissioner from the Ilia Coalition stands before the assembly of states.

"Regarding the multiple issues at hand. We support the Chancellor's removal of the referendum issue from the floor. We also support our brothers in South Craviter, the Assalaneans in their application to this assembly. Now regarding the the current chancellorship elections."

Olera takes a sip of water and a deep breath.

"The Greater Coalition of the Eastern Leagues of Itrea and Icetio, and the Western Regent-Kingdom of Taveris-Isalia, formally nominates Deputy Commissioner Martin Hakkert of Taveris for this position."

Last edited:
Løfgren tapped his microphone before speaking.

"We agree with Hightonian delegation in regards to the potential admission of the Clans. The sooner they are admitted the better. We also support Martin Hakkert as our potential chancellor."

The United Republic of Himika humbly requests that the body grant it Observer Status due to its past as a former colony of one of the body's members, Maloria-Kanada, and it's large minority population of Gotics that reside within the nation.

Signed,
President Luke D. Baker
Foreign Affairs Minister Dana K. Kiriyama

"Nominations are now closed, voting will begin."

Code:
[b]May 2019 PGU Chancellor Election.[/b]

[b]Nation:[/b]

[b]Vote:[/b] < Martin Hakkert > < Kjeld Svane > < Abstain >

Last edited:
May 2019 PGU Chancellor Election.

Nation: Federation of Yalkan

Vote: < Martin Hakkert >

Nation: Gotmark

Nation: Malor-Kanadian Empire

"Thank you so much for your confidence. I would like to nominate Martin Hakkert for the Deputy Chancellorship, and get to work on Essalanea and Himika's applications. I would like to invite the two ambassadors to speak on behalf of their governments."

Magnar Hureg Rose to his feet, he was old by the standards of the clans but could still play the great game with the best of delegates, clearing his throat he spoke into the microphone with his trademark booming voice

'Assembled representatives of the PGU, we the United Clans of Essalanea, have a long and complex history with the people of Craviter, we have over the last millennia been invaders, invaded and at other times still completely isolationist' He paused gazing around the room for effect before continuing

'Those days are gone now, the engine of modernity roars across the steppe and we now strive to rise out of our isolation and enter a new age of co-operation and development with the rest of Craviter and Eras' He Paused again, taking a deep breath, so far so good he thought

'Vital to this new beginning is recognizing our links with our fellow brothers and sisters of Gotic heritage, we are all children of that ancient continent though we have evolved and changed much since our ancestors departed your shores for Craviter, Now as we try to claim a place within this new world, we humbly beseech you to welcome us as long lost siblings within the PGU'

Minister Kiriyama clapped his hands together before speaking.

"Now that I have your attention, the Foreign Affairs Minister will be talking on behalf of Himika.", he said loudly.

"We have recently applied to join the Pan-Gotic Union as an observer nation to better help us extend goodwill and relations abroad. As many of you here know, Himika has had a long relation with Gotic nations in the past centries. As a former colony of member nation, Malor-Kanada, we have been exposed to and have interacted with Gotics for many centuries. It is also important to note that our colonial heritage has left a mark on the nation's population, with approximately 15 percent of Himika having Gotic descent."

"Now, we come to you all today to ask that you accept us into the PGU. Thank you for your time."

Mr. Løfgren sat forward to speak into his microphone whilst adjusting his tie.

"Firstly a hearty congratulations to Mr. Svane. Secondly to the Essalanean delegation I have only a few questions. What do you hope to gain from joining this union? Why step out of isolation now?"

He kept fixing his tie as if wrestling with snake, frustration clearly building.

Elisa spoke up for the first time in ages, breaking her silent observance to speak. "Representatives of the PGU, while I have enjoyed my time learning from you and these chambers, my duties here as a passive learner are coming to an end. My delegation is being recalled to Norsia, thus I formally request the termination of Norsia's membership as an Observer of this union."

Årnad stood.

"Seeing as we have no precedent for the voluntary withdrawal of a membership, I say we take this as an opportunity to develop an exiting procedure. I recommend one that isn't too burdensome on the nation in question. Otherwise I have no objections to Norsia's departure, and I wish them good fortune in their future endeavors."

Svane nodded.
"That would be prudent. I would propose a system whereby the departing delegation issues a full statement of intent to withdraw. Withdrawal would be complete once the statement is recognized by the Chancellor's office."

Mr. Løfgren sat forward to speak into his microphone whilst adjusting his tie.

"Firstly a hearty congratulations to Mr. Svane. Secondly to the Essalanean delegation I have only a few questions. What do you hope to gain from joining this union? Why step out of isolation now?"

He kept fixing his tie as if wrestling with snake, frustration clearly building.

Magnar stroked his beard thoughtfully before responding " We hope to gain the oppurtunity to foster positive relations with fellow Gotic nations, as for why we are only stepping out of isolation now, we have never before had a leader able to unite us like Gaiseric has, he has led us through a brutal war and into a new era of openness"

Svane looked up from the Chancellor's desk.
"My question concerns the Minister Kiriyama from Himika. Himika has had issues with racial strife in the past. The Pan-Gotic Union is bound by Gotic heritage, but we do not stand for supremacist ideology. We value human dignity and equality under the law. Are these values alive and well in Himika? Can we say, with confidence, that Himika is working diligently to put past ethnic strife behind them?"

Svane shook his head a bit.
"Right then. Let's get going. We'll begin the vote on on the applications of Essalanea and Himika."

Code:
[b]Accept Essalanea into the Pan-Gotic Union[/b]

[b]Vote:[/b] < Yea > < Nay >

Code:
[b]Accept Himika into the Pan-Gotic Union[/b]

[b]Vote:[/b] < Yea > < Nay >

Accept Essalanea into the Pan-Gotic Union

Nation: Vallish Confederation

Vote: < Yea >

Accept Himika into the Pan-Gotic Union

Nation: Vallish Confederation

Vote: < Nay >

Nation: Kingdom of Prydania

Nation: Kingdom of Prydania

Vote: < Nay >

As Marquette cast her vote, she smiled at the Essalanean delegate sitting at the back of the room. "Their admission to this alliance will help them join the international community," she thought, knowing how this would benefit Highton. Should they be admitted, there would now be a second Alemannic nation in the room.

Nation: the Crowned Republic of Highton

Vote: Yea

Nation: the Crowned Republic of Highton

Vote: Nay

Nation: Constitutional Monarchy of Andrenne

Nation: Constitutional Monarchy of Andrenne

Vote:< Nay >