bowloftoast

Not Just For Breakfast
Discord
bowloftoast

ga.jpg

Repeal: "Protecting Personal Data"
Category: Repeal | GA #461
Proposed by: Imperium Anglorum | Onsite Topic
General Assembly Resolution #461 “Protecting Personal Data” (Category: Regulation; Area of Effect: Consumer Protection) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

This august World Assembly,

Believing that data ought to be protected, but that the target resolution has serious flaws which impose significant harms on society,

Resolving that:

1. firms which collect personal data now have perverse incentives to not collect any data that identifies age or proxies thereof, so to fall into the exemption provided by section 2(a), and

2. minors can have legitimate reasons to have personal data stored without the explicit approval of their guardians, especially in relation to evidence of child abuse and, less seriously, in personal data associated with accounts on social networks,
Further resolving that courts not being able to require the production of information in civil cases:

1. makes it possible for people to hide information from the court, making the court rule on an unclear or biased view of the facts, and

2. harms the ability of private actors to get data that could be needed for securing injunctive relief or damages from the respondent, and
Conceding that repeal is the only option, as it is impossible to amend legislation and patch these issues, hereby:

Repeals GA 461 "Protecting Personal Data".
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.

Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

By IA's reasoning presented here, I've decided to change my previously held view of support for the original proposal, and now vote For the repeal.

WA: El Fiji Grande

Last edited:
For
I had reservations about the target relating to beneficial or innocuous data collection - medical data and sharing in particular. Not entirely in agreement with IA on some of the points made above, but I agree that the target should be repealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back