bowloftoast

Not Just For Breakfast
Discord
bowloftoast

ga.jpg

On Tobacco and Electronic Cigarettes
Category: Regulation | Area of Effect: Consumer Protection
Proposed by: Cosmosplosion Co-Authors: Akohos & Courelli | Onsite Topic
Understanding the wide recreational usage of tobacco and other products containing nicotine;

Recognizing the addictive nature of nicotine;

Noting the exorbitant health care costs users of tobacco products incur due to the adverse health effects associated with tobacco, which in many cases, result in the death of member nation's own citizens at a young age, and further noting that in nations with government funded health care systems, the high tax-revenue cost associated with treating these health effects;

Acknowledging the popularity and lesser health risks of electronic cigarettes as an alternative to tobacco based products;

Emphasizing that the goal of this resolution is not to prevent people from purchasing tobacco and electronic cigarette products, but to establish a set of regulations on these industries and to promote the education of the risks associated with them;

The World Assembly hereby;

• Defines a "tobacco product" as a product containing tobacco plant for the intent of recreational consumption. These products include, but are not limited to, cigarettes, chewing tobacco, and hookah;

• Further defines an "electronic cigarette" as a device containing a liquid that is vaporized and inhaled, used to simulate the experience of smoking tobacco;

• Mandates that all tobacco and electronic cigarette products containing nicotine which are intended for recreational consumption must be labeled with an identifier that states, “This product contains nicotine, a chemical known to be addictive;” and must take up at least 15% of the packaging of the product. This warning should be printed in the language local to the intended marketplace;

• Requires that tobacco products must be labelled with an identifier which states, “This product is known to cause several types of cancer and other long term, serious health problems. If you are currently pregnant, consumption is known to cause birth defects;” and must take up at least 15% of the packaging of the product. This warning should be printed in the language local to the intended marketplace;

• Further requires that electronic cigarette products that contain a liquid intended to be vaporized must state, “Do not ingest. Keep out of reach of children and infants.” This warning must take up at least 15% of the packaging of the product. This warning should be printed in the language local to the intended marketplace;

• Demands that member nations educate all residents on the long term effects of tobacco use, by funding informational campaigns, targeted at both minor and adult smokers, encouraging them to quit smoking or to replace tobacco products with electronic cigarettes or related products, while also funding informational campaigns targeted at non-smokers, using pictures, detailed descriptions, and/or other forms of media to demonstrate the negative effects associated with tobacco product usage;
Furthermore,

Recommends member nations establish poison control centers, which shall provide emergency control services in the event that a tobacco or electronic cigarette product is improperly ingested;

Encourages member nations to prohibit the sale of tobacco products and electronic cigarettes to minors;

Urges member nations to prohibit advertisements for tobacco products;

Further encourages member nations to consider taking further action against tobacco use, especially among minors.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.

Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

IFV:
This proposal wants a healthier WA and seeks to place stringent regulations on the producers of tobacco products. These regulations include the placement of clear warnings on tobacco packaging, prohibition of advertising, and mandatory public education about the risks of use. There is some common-sense regulation placed on tobacco use by the public, like a prohibition of sale to minors. As an alternative to complete prohibition, the proposal requires that nations encourage tobacco users toward safer forms of nicotine ingestion, like electronic cigarettes, gum, patches, or mists, which don’t rely on the dangerous inhalation of burning tobacco leaves. While not sweeping in scope of change, this proposal does represent a transition away from the cancer-causing harms of tobacco, and a movement towards less dangerous alternatives. This should both reduce health care costs for nations and contribute to greater life expectancy throughout the WA.

For these reasons, The Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote For this proposal.

Last edited:
I really feel like this is an individual issue due to the complexities of the law and economies it would impact.

Against

100% For. Any and all regulation on nicotine/smoking-related activities, in my opinion, is great.

WA is Syrixia.

Neither category seems particularly complex to me in this specific resolution. Classic nat sov bait, but it's the best version of this type of legislation I think I have seen. Promotion of improvements in the health of citizens across the world seems like a laudable international goal to me. The opposition I have seen thus far feels a bit forced and rather weak, I don't really see the harm in pursuing this issue.

For

Neither category seems particularly complex to me in this specific resolution. Classic nat sov bait, but it's the best version of this type of legislation I think I have seen. Promotion of improvements in the health of citizens across the world seems like a laudable international goal to me. The opposition I have seen thus far feels a bit forced and rather weak, I don't really see the harm in pursuing this issue.

For
Ah yes I am some how Nat sov baiting... Me of all people. Lol

Ah yes I am some how Nat sov baiting... Me of all people. Lol
That remark wasn't directed at you. I was saying that this is the kind of issue that's going to ruffle all the Nat sov feathers and a lot of the arguments will boil down to that. To be fair, the response I have seen generally has been far more muted than I was expecting, but this was barely in drafting and about to hit queue so there's still time for that.

Nicotine is an addictive drug and, when it specifically comes to tobacco-based cigarettes, the smoke can cause cancers. Cigarettes of any kind are a health risk. I know people who have been impacted by smoking. Families torn to shreds. Drama and sadness I dare not cover on a forum such as this. I despise smoking, and fear greatly for all those which it has ensnared. Just as we should vaccinate our kids, we should all encourage an end to smoking- or at least, heavy regulation of the practice. I'm obviously all for individual rights, but puritanically applying that doctrine in the face of common sense, human safety and wellbeing, and medical progress is where I draw the line.

(And just as Pallaith said about his comments; Tlomz, what I just said was not specifically directed at you. I hope you don't take it as such.)

For
Misread some of it the first time around, and didn't realize there's a clear distinction made between smoking and vaping, as there should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back