The Speaker's Desk

I figured you would announce them as an informational thing. The new thread would track all three checks and if all three were passed admins would update their status, whether or not their names were posted in the original app thread.

Pallaith:
I figured you would announce them as an informational thing. The new thread would track all three checks and if all three were passed admins would update their status, whether or not their names were posted in the original app thread.
Yeah, that's what I had in mind.

I've spoken with the Admins and they don't support the idea and think editing a persons post might be better.

I think given that a forum move is probably imminent (given the impending Tapapocalypse) it's probably best to hold off on major changes to the citizenship process, since the possible options will change drastically when we move to a different forum platform with a different set of features.

spk_seal.png

Deputy Appointment

I have decided to appoint a very capable and competent member of our citizenry as a Deputy Speaker:

Please welcome Owenstacey as our newest Deputy Speaker. I trust in their abilities and their vision and I know they will make a great addition to this office. Congratulations!

Sincerely,

ABC

Speaker of the Regional Assembly

Mr. Speaker,

Back in your opening address, you mentioned as one of your plans to "Bring back the Speaker's Staff to help train a new generation of people to work in, engage, and learn about the office". Was this implemented? Is there a separate thread for applications to that staff if it exists?

To those wondering, I already responded to Sil Dorsett's question on Discord. For those who didn't see it, here's my answer:

Yes, this plan was implemented. Currently Bobberino, Dinoium, and Ryasta are members of the Speaker's Staff which has served a key role in producing the past few RA Digests. There is not a thread currently for applications, however there have been two openings so far to join the staff and may be another one soon.

Mr. Speaker, why is it that you have ordered your deputies to stand down from performing citizen checks, but have not performed these checks yourself? We had a very quick and efficient process for citizenship, but between the admin staff changes and this curious decision on your part, we are now experiencing a backlog. Can you explain this decision?

To Owenstacey: Thank you for serving as a Deputy Speaker, it was a pleasure to have you in this office.

To Pallaith: I realize that there is a backlog and I will be processing all of those applications soon. I apologize for not doing it sooner. I chose to do this because I felt a need to allow my Deputies to focus on other aspects of the office, while I took over one of the other responsibilities.

Could you elaborate on what those other areas that your of your office are that your deputies are now focusing on?

Wonderess in particular was doing the checks and remarking quickly and promptly. What other considerations did you have in mind when you decided to end your deputies ability to respond to routine matters?

mcmasterdonia:
Could you elaborate on what those other areas that your of your office are that your deputies are now focusing on?

Wonderess in particular was doing the checks and remarking quickly and promptly. What other considerations did you have in mind when you decided to end your deputies ability to respond to routine matters?
One of the major things we are focusing on is improving activity in the Regional Assembly, especially in the area of bill proposals. We keep seeing the same people proposing bills, while newer citizens almost never propose any. We plan to change this through recruitment with help from the Ministry of Home Affairs as well as public awareness campaigns.

I didn't end their ability to attend to them, they still have the ability to attend to them if there is a serious backlog, but in general I want them to focus on the above more often. Another consideration was that my Deputies have worked extremely hard this term and I wanted to give them some time to slow down to make way for RL.

I don’t want to belabor this, but this contradicts somewhat what you told me. I am glad that if they need to the deputies can still do checks, as the backlog was my greatest concern and it appears to have been addressed.

spk_seal.png

On the Appointment of Deputy Speakers for the Coming Term
It is with great joy that I announce here my fellow members of the Speaker's Office for this coming term. I have full confidence in both of them to both be outstanding representatives of the office and to work for the betterment of our region and its democratic process!

Deputy Speakers hereby appointed: @Prydania and @Artemis

In faith to you and The North Pacific,

Wonderess

eg37np.png

An Announcement:
First Town Hall
The first town hall meeting for the Speaker's Office this term will be held Tuesday, October 23rd at 7PM CDT or 12AM October 24th GMT. This meeting will take place in The Agora Voice Chat on the main Discord server. The server can be found here. Both voice users and text users welcome to listen! Feel free to ask questions and hear what has been happening in the office thus far. I hope to see you there.

In faith to The North Pacific,
Wonderess

eg37np.png

spk_seal.png

On the Current Makeup of the Speaker's Staff
I have been requested to make publicly known those that are a part of the Speaker's Staff. For those of you who do not know, the Speaker's Staff aids the office in accomplishing tasks when many hands on deck are necessary to ensure the optimal functioning of the office. They are also in service to learn the function of the Speakership as to serve the region in related capacities in the future.

Current members of the Speaker's Staff: @Dinoium and @Bobberino

Wonderess

eg37np.png

4. If a number of citizens equal to or exceeding one third of the number of votes required to achieve quorum for any legislative vote object to the duration of a vote of the Regional Assembly decided by the Speaker before the conclusion of the vote, then that vote will last for the maximum duration permitted by law.

Does this hold even if the members want a shorter duration of time for the issue?For example,they want it cut from 6 days to 4 days.What then?

4. If a number of citizens equal to or exceeding one third of the number of votes required to achieve quorum for any legislative vote object to the duration of a vote of the Regional Assembly decided by the Speaker before the conclusion of the vote, then that vote will last for the maximum duration permitted by law.

Does this hold even if the members want a shorter duration of time for the issue?For example,they want it cut from 6 days to 4 days.What then?
That is not a stated rule of the Regional Assembly so no. I don't see that being a problem anytime soon so I don;t think that is a large issue. This statute limits me from using my power to allow a limited exposure of a vote and instead would force me to give full duration to a bill that perhaps requires more deliberation and voting time.

On the Current Motion of Citizenship Rejection
Ladies and gentlemen of the Regional Assembly, I speak before you today to explain an anomalous occurrence that has occurred. The previous vote on the question of Andrew's citizenship has been closed and made void in order to be replaced by a new version of the vote. The good Vice Delegate approached me and let me know of the need for a more legally clear and correctly worded way of offering the motion. The current wording of the new vote more correctly represents the legal mechanism of the RA's responsibility which is important in the context of knowing and carrying out the legal function of the Regional Assembly. I express gratitude to @Pallaith for his patience and diligence in this matter. The new vote will close 3 days from its own opening and not the old one. Thank you all for bearing with me and this unique exercising of the RA's duty that does not come too often. I do hope that the restart of the vote is not a too significant inconvenience. Thank you for your time.

Wonderess

eg37np.png

So I had an idea for a TNP-wide anthem and here are my first 7 options:
"Remove Kebab(Serbia Strong)" by 3 unknown Bosnian Serb Soldiers; Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIcxqVRLEWI
"It's Raining Tacos" by Parry Gripp; Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjF032TDDQ
"Rats Died" by Oktavia and Symag; Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSVPSYY6mqc
"Video Killed The Radio Store" by Buggles; Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwuy4hHO3YQ
"Calamari Inkcantation" by Callie and Marie; Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4k1NdUEUP4
"Piano Man" by Billy Joel; Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_g7fPjVxvg
"Never Be Alone" by TheFatRat; Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCIC2Uv64zQ

So I had an idea for a TNP-wide anthem and here are my first 7 options:
"Remove Kebab(Serbia Strong)" by 3 unknown Bosnian Serb Soldiers; Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIcxqVRLEWI
"It's Raining Tacos" by Parry Gripp; Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjF032TDDQ
"Rats Died" by Oktavia and Symag; Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSVPSYY6mqc
"Video Killed The Radio Store" by Buggles; Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwuy4hHO3YQ
"Calamari Inkcantation" by Callie and Marie; Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4k1NdUEUP4
"Piano Man" by Billy Joel; Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_g7fPjVxvg
"Never Be Alone" by TheFatRat; Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCIC2Uv64zQ
I do not think this is a good place for your options. I suggest posting them in The Agora part of the forum where people can comment more freely on your choices.

On the Current State of General Elections
Firstly, I highly encourage all citizens to take part in the general election. It is vital that your voice be heard so that the future of our region may truly represent the people. With that being said, I want to caution you of your citizenship status as the election proceeds. Make sure that your nation remains in the region and does not cease to exist, or your citizenship by the force of law will be revoked and your ability to vote will be closed to you. Also, be sure that you are active having posted here on the forum or in the Regional Message Board in the past 30 days. Taking these actions will ensure that your right to vote remains secure. Thank you for your attention and happy election season!

Wonderess

eg37np.png

I would like to question why you no longer use the Speaker Seal and instead use your Nation's Coat of Arms?
That is an excellent question. I used the seal initially, but I saw it as kind of impersonal so I ended up dropping it. Notice however that my arms are placed at the bottom of posts rather than the top to show that the office has primacy over my person. I use my arms because I am not just some disembodied Speaker but a friend and protective ally of all the Regional Assembly's members. I would never place my arms at the top as that would be a sign of putting myself before my duty which is unacceptable.

That is an excellent question. I used the seal initially, but I saw it as kind of impersonal so I ended up dropping it. Notice however that my arms are placed at the bottom of posts rather than the top to show that the office has primacy over my person. I use my arms because I am not just some disembodied Speaker but a friend and protective ally of all the Regional Assembly's members. I would never place my arms at the top as that would be a sign of putting myself before my duty which is unacceptable.
Another question, why did you use a whole another seal for an announcement on the program for voice for excellence?

Another question, why did you use a whole another seal for an announcement on the program for voice for excellence?
The VTE is a program that is a stand alone endeavor of the office. It is many parallelogram figures of different colors and sizes symbolizing the many viewpoints and opinions that make up the whole of a bill's formation and drafting. I think visuals are important in conveying the purpose and meaning of things and that includes the Program. I see it as a subsection of the Speaker's Office and it deserves it's own visual representation which embodies its purpose and unique place among the endeavors of the office.

The VTE is a program that is a stand alone endeavor of the office. It is many parallelogram figures of different colors and sizes symbolizing the many viewpoints and opinions that make up the whole of a bill's formation and drafting. I think visuals are important in conveying the purpose and meaning of things and that includes the Program. I see it as a subsection of the Speaker's Office and it deserves it's own visual representation which embodies its purpose and unique place among the endeavors of the office.
Thank you for the responses. Do you mins if I share my reaponse about that?

spk_seal.png

January - May 2019 Term
Howdy Citizens of the North Pacific,

First I would like to thank everyone that voted during the January 2019 General Election and to all the candidates that stood for office. Previous elections we have seen a lack of competition for our region's highest offices, and this election truly changed that. I witnessed turnout like I haven't seen before and that truly made me proud to be a citizen of the North Pacific. Before I go further I would like to say to Wonderess and Dinoium, it was a heck of a race and it was a pleasure to see what ideas you gentlemen brought to the table.

As I stated during my campaign, I do not have anything truly special for this term planned. As a Speaker's Office we will work towards the following:
  • Prompt and Accurate Citizenship Checks with the accurate information recorded in the Citizenship & Resident Rolls.
  • Review and updating of Procedures, Rules, Templates, and other important documentation for the Regional Assembly and Speaker's Office
  • Regular RA Digest's dispersed to the region, with non-biased summaries of pending legislation.
  • Establishing a written manual for training purposes for Speakers and Deputy Speakers.

Some have asked on my thoughts for the Speaker's Staff, the informal staff that has previously aided the Speaker's Office. For now, I will be maintaining the Speaker's Staff. Setting out this term there will be clear goals and projects for the Staff. They will be divided into three different projects.
  1. RA Digest - redeployment of the Publication by the Office, with the introduction of non-biased summaries of pending legislation.
  2. Voice to Excellence - evaluating ways to improve this program started by Speaker Wonderess to allow for more individuals to be involved.
  3. Speaker's Manual - development of a consolidated document to help guide Speaker's and train Deputy Speakers.
To assist me during this time I will be having a few deputies, firstly I will be appointing @bootsie as Deputy and as Acting Speaker in any instance of my absence. I feel that they have a solid knowledge of the office and will be a large help during this term.

I am looking to also appoint 1-2 additional deputies. If you are interested in applying for Deputy Speaker, please fill out this form to be considered. The deadline to submit an application is (time=1548439200) (your forum time).

Thank you again for all the support and I look forward to what this term holds!

5vbqjZU.png

Congratulations on becoming Speaker! Here's hoping you don't fall prey to the Speaker's Curse and have an active and successful term!

Back