Pallaith for Delegate (Again) - Third Time's the Charm

Pallaith

TNPer
-
-
-
-
PALLAITH_FOR_DELEGATE_wow_fullcaps.png

As you are all aware by now (and to the surprise of probably few), for the third time I am asking for your vote for Delegate of The North Pacific. One of the best things about TNP, in my view, is that we make it really easy for newcomers to contribute and take positions in our government. I certainly benefited from this when I first came here and was asked to be part of the cabinet within my first 2 weeks of being in TNP. Because of that, I do know that many of you will be inclined to look to someone else rather than do me the honor of selecting me as your Delegate a third time. But another advantage TNP has, is the high number of talented and experienced players who call it home. This time, I hope to serve as your Delegate as one of those players.

We are about to start a new year and a new term that promise to be one of the more exciting chapters not only in NS but in TNP as well. A new group of players is joining us as citizens, old friends have returned to lend a hand once again, and the order of the world in gameplay as we have known it has shifted in major ways, more rapidly and more completely than we have become accustomed to. I believe this is a time when new approaches to how we have done things are necessary, but those approaches must be spearheaded by someone with the experience to apply them quickly and effectively. I have been involved primarily in two areas in the last year: foreign affairs and the world assembly. These are where the biggest shifts in the game have been taking place, and where the greatest amount of experience is necessary to navigate the new year ahead of us. I have also served as Vice Delegate since the past summer, and have been part of some of our best efforts yet to enhance and track the progress of endorsements in the region. These efforts must continue to ensure the region is in the strongest position in the WA and by extension the wide game world.

Below is my preferred approach and outline for how I will handle our various areas of government.

In my view TNP needs to quit sticking its head in the sand and needs to be part of the world around us. This extends into every aspect of what we do, from defense to the World Assembly. We are not without conviction, and I fear that by shying away from conflict or taking part in world events, even if only rhetorically, we may give off the false impression that we have no convictions, or at least don’t have very strong ones. Worse, we may inadvertently lend credibility to old charges that we are aloof or unconcerned with anyone else but ourselves. Today’s NS world is different even from the one we knew just a month and a half ago. Going it alone is not an option, and that includes choosing not to participate in the events of the day. I am not the first one to say as much, nor is this the first platform to state that TNP must be a more active player on the world stage. We did a better job of that in recent months, and I think it is fair to say we have turned a corner. Now we must keep moving in that better direction.

Last time I was delegate my big idea was for us to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and try to be friendly and participating in everyone’s region, and become better friends with the small regions with which we had embassies. This wasn’t easily achieved, and in the end the most significant FA developments came from direct interaction with our closest allies and largest neighbors. Subsequent events also showed how fleeting or illusory those diplomatic gains had been, but having experienced the past year and especially seen how much the state of the game has been altered even in the last month and a half, I believe this is the perfect time for TNP to really invest in the game beyond our shores. Forging stronger relationships one ambassador at a time won’t get the job done. I believe we have a lot of talent in the Diplomatic Corps which can be directed to specific regions where it is best suited or has the most experience, but this cannot be replicated in every ambassador posting. Those efforts which can be made to pair well-suited and experienced ambassadors will be a priority, and in the rest of the cases we will ensure our lines of communication remain constant and we learn all we can from our embassies.

It is hard to predict what events will take place in NS or when certain other regions or organizations will be available. It will continue to be my goal for the NPA to partner with our allies and neighbors on at least one joint-op each but this is always a shifting goal. Fortunately, we have seen great strides in the quality and quantity of experienced and capable officers, something that had concerned me the last time I was delegate. To ensure that continues to be the case, I want to focus more heavily than ever on recruitment for NPA. We have a greater number of people getting involved in TNP with the recent citizenship reform, and events abroad have reminded us that our military needs to be polished and ready to go at a moment’s notice.

I supported recent changes to NPA policy that expanded the kind of operations we could participate in, but it is important that in every operation, we continue to respect the community and identity of the regions we encounter, and that we do not behave in needlessly destructive ways. Our activities, as they have been as far back as I can remember and during my time as delegate, will always be to preserve our own regional interests and those of our allies. I will not be reinventing the wheel here.

All existing programs will be continued. Having said that, I believe we are long overdue for a very close and critical look at our network of communications and information. We’ve seen a great expansion of telegrams and dispatches, along with more regular press releases. Players in TNP have more mail than ever, and we need to know that it is yielded maximum returns or if it’s falling on deafened ears. The previous term has seen an even greater focus on bringing in the gameside community. It is time they provide us with help only they can provide, and give us the best picture we have yet of how we can streamline and reduce excessive methods of communication. Sporadic requests to be removed from lists or scattered complaints about spam are not unheard of, but they do not really give us an accurate picture of how we can improve our outreach. I admit this may be an overly ambitious, nebulous goal, but it’s time we take a serious look at it.

As the person who ended the RMB Guardian program and established the Gameside Advocates, I have an idea for how we can not only improve on that model, but take advantage of the recent citizenship reform and enhance the outreach and inclusion of gameside players. A primary facet of the Gameside Advocates model was that the advocates would be comprised in great part of players who were primarily active on the RMB or were in both communities fairly evenly. These advocates would bridge the two aspects of the community and find ways to get payers from both involved with each other. In practice they have become something of a RMB police force, making sure the RMB is clean and troublemakers are dealt with. This is undoubtedly an important aspect of the role, but was never intended to be the primary or only function. Going forward I would like this group to recruit as heavily as possible from our new citizens who are gameside-active, and would like to see more programs like the AMAs that the Gameside Advocates sponsored this past term, but with more of a focus on their participation. That is to say, I want to see forum game-type activities but on the RMB (avoiding crossing the spam rules), or maybe prominent RMB players who do an AMA or feature on our Discord server for a change. This can include the oft-cited but inconsistently-hosted RMB trivia, which should be an ongoing, month-long event which would lend itself to multiple winners and establish it at last as a staple of the region’s gameside activity. We should also make greater use of The Northern Light, and one way we can do that and enhance gameside activity is putting up polls for TNL’s NS issues. It is, after all, the regional nation, so it stands to reason the region would have a say in how it decides the outcome of its issues.

We will also need mentors to focus especially on RMB-active players whose exposure to the forum may be limited to their initial post to gain citizenship or subsequent posts to vote. These mentors will need to look outside the forum as well, and be prepared to lend their help and advice via RMB post and telegram as well. Increasingly, the efforts of these mentors and staff will need to be more well-rounded, as they must be able to serve all kinds of citizens in our community.

After two terms as Delegate, I found Communications to be both an area of triumph as well as a missed opportunity. We were successful in releasing seven editions of TNL, six of which were consecutive, but I had hoped to do much more with NBS than we managed to accomplish. NBS has lived on since my delegacy, and is now in a period of potential ascendancy. This is a project I plan to expand even further. The end of the last term also saw us lean into differentiating the different projects Communications works on. TNL had quantity but not quality, and in TNS we can continue to produce informational content at the same quantity, without being concerned that our flagship product, TNL, isn’t offering the best our best and brightest can do. Much as TNL and TNS accomplish very different things and allow for us to create more diverse content, I hope to expand NBS beyond instructional videos and have multiple tiers of shows. Past delegates have had fireside chats, I would like to explore regular shows with more concentrated content, including one-one-one discussions or interviews like those we have regularly had in print.

Numbers-wise, I am aiming for four TNS releases and at least one but hopefully two TNL releases. There is no reason TNS cannot be done as frequently as TNL has been done recently, given its well-established formula, whereas TNL will take time to develop its content and also be more substantial in topic and length. Additionally, I want us to get as close as possible to weekly NBS broadcasts, spanning the variety of show-types I had in mind. This should reduce the struggle to come up with content every week by letting us put on a show best suited for the week’s events or available speakers.

In the past I aimed for synergy in our ministries, where the combined efforts of staff across ministries could work together for a common project. I see an opportunity to do that with Culture and FA this term. Over in TWP there’s an effort to build an education ministry which will focus on teaching history in NS, focusing on the old relationships, power players, and major events that shaped the game and in many ways continue to do so. I believe we can utilize the vast knowledge and experience of our own community to further that project, and put it to work collaborating with TWP. When we aren’t doing this directly, we can devote those efforts to expanding the content of our university so that we work on something similar in parallel. The last time I was delegate I hoped that TNP could be a destination for prospective WA authors. I believe we can be a destination for those wishing to learn more about this game and its history as well.

Our region’s roleplay has continued to thrive and develop and now encompasses the world created by our primarily-gameside players. The previous year has also seen a successful treaty with a world-renowned rp region, Greater Dienstad. Just as we can enhance the mission of our university, I believe we can replicate the success of our prior rp event with GD and lend our own expertise in rp to other regions. Culture can continue its ongoing partnership with our roleplay team and if not add a valuable wing to our university, lay the foundation for a new one with roleplay as its focus. All roleplay-centric publications should not only continue to happen, but should be regularly released and just as important to our Communications team’s distributions, alongside TNL and TNS.

In addition to this, I would like us to host a cultural event primarily on the RMB. We typically utilize Discord, but I want to continue investing in the great work we have been doing with the gameside community. We have seen great use of embassy posting this past term during Culture’s cruise around the world. I hope we can utilize embassy posting again to engage our embassy regions with our regulars on the RMB for some focused games, competitions, or discussion. Additionally, more events like our Endorsement Frenzy would allow the gameside community to be more involved in greater regional goals, and we can utilize the new NS cards feature in our prizes and awards for participating in these events.

I believe I have this down to a science. You will get early and consistent votes from me. I will always hit major update and I will almost always hit minor (weekends will be tricky). I have an avid interest in the affairs of the World Assembly, I have spent nearly all my time as a member of TNP working with our friends in WALL. And because of that work I also see where we have places we can improve. Collaboration on vote recommendations, for instance, is not what it once was. Even discussion of upcoming and ongoing votes has fractured, and takes place on a very ad-hoc basis. It is time to bring robust discussion and information sharing back to WALL, especially with new delegates coming up in many of the signatory regions.

The past year has seen a lot of activity on the author front. The WA ministry has been perfecting a sponsorship program for WA resolutions, and I want to see it expanded. I always wanted TNP to be a destination for authors, and I feel we can achieve that if the program is visible and promoted. That I why I hope to more prominently feature it in communications related to WA matters that are transmitted to the region. I also want to include it as part of a broader goal of being even more visible on the world stage. I was WA minister this past year and one of goals was to be part of WA discussions before the resolutions even made it to queue to be discussed by our team. That absolutely must become a regular occurrence as part of our greater effort to be a more involved player on the word stage. We must be part of the effort in crafting WA resolutions, not just the distant emperor who offers a thumbs up or thumbs down after it makes it all the way to vote. And when our ministry sponsors an author’s resolution, we can use our automated tools to campaign for their resolution and give them the boost they need to succeed. Hopefully in so doing, we can also spread goodwill in the WA and show everyone that WALL can be beneficial to the WA at large.

When I last ran for Delegate I hoped that TNP could be an innovative leader, and example to the wider gameplay world of what our robust democracy could achieve. I was new to the GCR political world and while we did some great work, we tended to play things safe. It is time to flex our muscles and be heard. This does not mean creating new conflicts or inserting ourselves into places we do not belong. When we do not have a stake in a fight, or we are not interested in something that is happening, we can still lend a hand or offer advice, and if nothing else acknowledge that we are aware of what is going on. Communication with those outside our borders can stand to be improved and I aim to do just that. Times are changing and TNP has been changing with them, we’ve just been careful and deliberate in that change. That is fine and it’s a great part of why we’re as stable and consistent as we have been, but we can do more. I do not believe TNP is timid, so it is time we stand up and be counted, and live up to the potential I know we have.

Thank you again for hearing me out, and thank you in advance for your support and your vote. I hope to earn it once again, and welcome your thoughts and questions.

YscXNjb.png

Last edited:
Will you be more hands on with the ministries if elected Delegate this time around?

Are you concerned that, by virtue of being a former Delegate, you could deny one of the new players a chance to be Delegate?

If elected, who will be in your Cabinet?

I always try to blend experienced and well-suited individuals with up-and-coming promising talent. Continuity in the ministries is important, especially when they have been working particularly well and we want that to continue. You will likely see some of the some people who are there now. I never tried taking applicants for office when I was delegate before, and I think I would like to see what comes from that, especially since that is how I got my start.

If elected Delegate, will you seek reelection in May?

Simply deciding to run for this office again was not something I did lightly. TNP has a proud tradition of allowing new talent to blossom and rise, sometimes very quickly. The days where the same few individuals dominated elections and captured the imagination are gone. That is not a bad thing. I believe this is a crucial moment in TNP's history, if not NS as a whole. I don't want us to miss this moment, and I believe I am the best equipped to capitalize on it. Having said that, it cannot be helped that many people would miss out on the new perspectives and approaches a completely new occupant to this office would have. I will be changing my own approaches, but I'm still a familiar face. If we step up to the plate there's no reason we cannot have a very successful four months. I will be very mindful of how long four months can be, and how another term would take us beyond half the year. That's a long time for the same face, especially one you have already seen for 8 months prior to this.

No matter how well we do, by May everything will be different. The game state will have settled into whatever it is 2019 winds up looking like. Even if our work is unfinished in May, I believe that we will have built a strong foundation and everyone who was a part of it will have a clear roadmap to follow in the months ahead. I loved this job the last time I did it, and would love to do it again. But I stated why I am running, and that is more important than pursuing my own personal gain and fulfillment. I will always step up where I believe I am most needed or best suited to serve, but serving in this role does not mean I need to have it the full 8 months the law allows. The trust the region would place in me by allowing me to serve in this capacity again is even more meaningful and significant given that it is simply not how TNP usually handles this office. I will not ask them to indulge me longer than is necessary to do what must be done, so I will not seek another term in May.

Will you be more hands on with the ministries if elected Delegate this time around?

Are you concerned that, by virtue of being a former Delegate, you could deny one of the new players a chance to be Delegate?

It is definitely my plan to be more hands-on. I have really felt that I have found my voice in this game, have another year of experience and comfort with this region and NS in general. I believe TNP has grown accustomed to this approach in the last few terms as well, and continuing to do what has worked so well is definitely something I aim to do.

I believe I have mostly addressed your second question with my answer to Siwale. Weighing a run as a former delegate means giving a lot of attention to this very concern. Anyone who wins denies others a chance to serve by virtue of being selected, but being a former delegate really accentuates that. If they wish for me to serve, I want it to be because they believe in my vision and what I plan to do and not just because I was previously elected. I want my experience to be not a weapon to be used against anyone else who is not as experienced, but a quality that the region believes is particularly important for the term ahead. I would not take such a win lightly nor expect it to be a foregone conclusion. And because the vision I have and the work to be done is for this moment, there will be others just as capable of building on that vision and work in May, when the moment will call for someone prepared for the needs of that term.

So yes, I am very concerned about that, but feel I must step up anyway. I do not believe that doing so means I must be here until I absolutely cannot anymore, and that is why I aim to borrow as little of the region's time as possible to do my work.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers. I am surprised you decided to run after all, as I thought you weren't going to. I have no idea how this race will go, but your platform is both broad and comprehensive, and it will be interesting to watch.

How would you rate your term as Vice Delegate, overall? What advice would you have for the next Vice Delegate?

Some general questions I will ask all candidates:

1. Would you be likely to add any new Ministry or merge, close, or rename/reform any existing Ministries?
2. What do you believe is the most important personal quality for a Delegate to have?
3. At times, there has been divisive rhetoric where The North Pacific has been cast into subcategories of communities, often with allegedly holding goals/interests etc that rival and compete with the other groups. This was quite clear in the debate surrounding the citizenship reform. How would you respond to this should it come up again in the next term? What ideas do you have to reinforce the one united community that we have that has existed for so many years?
4. Would you review, amend, repeal, or replace any existing treaty that we currently hold?
5. Which Ministry do you believe you'd find the most difficult to work on? How would you overcome this?

Thank you for your answers. I am surprised you decided to run after all, as I thought you weren't going to. I have no idea how this race will go, but your platform is both broad and comprehensive, and it will be interesting to watch.

How would you rate your term as Vice Delegate, overall? What advice would you have for the next Vice Delegate?

Some general questions I will ask all candidates:

1. Would you be likely to add any new Ministry or merge, close, or rename/reform any existing Ministries?
2. What do you believe is the most important personal quality for a Delegate to have?
3. At times, there has been divisive rhetoric where The North Pacific has been cast into subcategories of communities, often with allegedly holding goals/interests etc that rival and compete with the other groups. This was quite clear in the debate surrounding the citizenship reform. How would you respond to this should it come up again in the next term? What ideas do you have to reinforce the one united community that we have that has existed for so many years?
4. Would you review, amend, repeal, or replace any existing treaty that we currently hold?
5. Which Ministry do you believe you'd find the most difficult to work on? How would you overcome this?

I have been deliberating this question for some time. For a long time I did not have a compelling vision or any inciting incidents that called me to action. Recently that has all changed. I really see a need and I see a way that I can fulfill it. You know very well how similar our views are regarding letting the next generation take the lead, so I wasn't surprised to see you ask me about it. It is an interesting race and I hope that my take on things is one that the region agrees with when votes are cast.

I believe I found my footing in the Vice Delegacy and through the more frequent use of alerts and the establishment of weekly endorsement reports, we have more options for checking our progress. The alerts had a clear effect on endorsement levels, which consistently remained above 800. I hadn't quite hit upon a reliable and consistent way to handle them outside of weekly posts and tracking endorsements from one fixed point to current. my advice is to do a check in the first week of the term and use that as the fixed point to track progress in endorsements by the end of the term. After that you just compare the levels week to week. I believe the reports should continue and would suggest he next VD utilize them, but numbers by themselves don't tell the whole story. That is a starting point, and I hope the next VD can utilize them to find patterns and thereby determine what actions can be taken to improve the numbers. Are telegram alerts always better than dispatch alerts, or are there other factors in the region that can affect their efficacy? Is there any use in extending alerts beyond a week? Featured SC members on the WFE were utilized during my term, are they worth it or are the alerts better and the only tool that should be employed? I feel these questions remain unsatisfactorily answered, but they are questions that would be useful if the VD continues to pursue this program.

If you will indulge me, I will repeat advice for VDs that I have previously written:

I hope you have already been endotarting, because it may be hard to get the most endorsements like the Delegate, but it's no small feat to get to #2. If you have never studied the SC or know the people in it, be prepared to do your homework. The SC has its own culture and habits and it was there long before you showed up. Show respect to the people in it and appreciate that they know what they're doing. You may come in with all sorts of ideas about this or that which can be changed or tried, but if the SC isn't on board your efforts will go nowhere. Security is very important, but it is rarely exciting or flashy. The SC seems sleepy but they sleep with one eye open, and just to be safe they take turns with which eye is open at any given time. Also, while the job is very different from Delegate, don't forget that worst case scenario, you may end up being the Delegate as a result of being the Vice Delegate, so always keep in mind how you will handle that should the need ever arise.

1. I don't really see any changes to the ministries as currently constituted. They have served us well for some time now and I believe they will continue to do so.
2. Humility. Successful delegates know that they are only as good as the team they work with. It is a team effort, as the delegate cannot do everything they plan to do by themselves no matter how talented they are. Sometimes it isn't just direct cooperation in performing the necessary tasks, but advice and input from the cabinet, solicited or unsolicited. The delegate needs to be able to listen, and to be able to process competing viewpoints or information to come to the best possible decision. Sometimes the delegate will be wrong or lack a complete picture, and an ability to learn from their cabinet can guide them through such situations.
3. I really hope that recent changes have alleviated this potential strife, but I wouldn't allow it to go on unaddressed. This was the most significant citizenship reform in years and was the right thing to do. Even some of the harshest critics had their concerns addressed and came to an understanding. I believe that for the most part, it's just lack of clarity and communication that drives most of the trouble. When people do have direct negative experiences, they also don't always find a resolution to them and may experience tunnel vision. I believe that the more engaged the gameside community becomes with our body politic, the less strain between different worlds there will be. I have outlined a few ways I hope we can get them more engaged, and we must capitalize on the opportunity they have to become citizens and therefore get more involved in the region. Exposure to all parts of TNP will be good for everyone in TNP no matter which aspect of the community they are most affiliated with.
4. I'm fine with the treaties we have. I had a thought that another look at espionage provisions might be in order given recent events in the game, but they look solid to me. I have been coming around to the language in recent treaties related to cultural exchanges. I'm not sure I would make an effort to have them amended to include such language, but going forward I think it would be good to include such language in subsequent treaties.
5. Defense I feel remains the toughest area for me, as I never participated in the NPA or R/D in general. I rely a lot on our military staff and their experience in defense, but because it is not something I naturally know a lot about, I make it a point to be present and observe as much as I can so that I get as clear an understanding of what transpires.

Good luck Pallaith!

Appreciate it, thanks.

As with many previous Delegates, will you be appointing any advisers? If so who will you choose and why?

Wishing you all the very best in your campaign - an excellent start.

Thank you!

As with many previous Delegates, will you be appointing any advisers? If so who will you choose and why?

Absolutely, though it depends a lot on where everyone ends up after the election is over. If someone isn't able to serve in the cabinet, and I would still like to count on them for advice and a seat at the table, they will be on my shortlist for advisers. I will also take into account their availability, because I know that isn't the same term to term.

On a completely separate note, I would like to highlight some action items from my platform that I feel deserve a closer look and should be discussed at greater length. I wanted the platform to touch on everything but these specific things would threaten to take over their respective sections if I kept going. I will start with one that is close to my heart, and is taking on more prominence in this campaign: the NS trading cards.

Praetor is right to make cards a big part of his platform, they are a potential goldmine to gather interest from players on the RMB and absolutely can be an asset to our competitions and activities. They are prizes generated by the game itself that we can put to good use, and will add much needed variety to go along with our lists and badges. But they can also be an activity unto themselves. Picture scavenger hunts that involve seeking out and obtaining specific cards. I imagine we would target commons or low-value targets to make this easier, but to increase difficulty we could have them hunt for Epics or Legendaries. Combined with card prizes, they may be able to enhance their odds of success by winning other competitions or performing well in events like the Endorsement Frenzy or monthly WADP awards.

Of course, not everyone is as enamored with the cards as I am, but I don't see that as an issue, because they may not exactly be eagerly awaiting the other awards they get now. Incentives increase the pool of applicants and participants, and the goal is to get participation up after all. Cards does work a little easier when people cooperate, something I believe Praetor nailed in the card portion of his platform. If you can improve your odds of getting the cards you need/want by working with fellow TNPers, you may also find it is easier to communicate with them on the forum (perhaps we put up a card-related thread) and Discord (where a lot of card-related discussion already takes place). Anything that encourages cross-promotion and engages our community in multiple areas is something I want to explore.

Last edited:
As a Forum RPer? I couldn’t help but notice that much of what you had to say in regards to the Ministry of Culture and RP dealt with the RMB RP community. From you stressing the RMB RP community’s growth to a planned RP event exclusively on the RMB.

What would you do, if elected, to help promote the Forum RP community?

As a Forum RPer? I couldn’t help but notice that much of what you had to say in regards to the Ministry of Culture and RP dealt with the RMB RP community. From you stressing the RMB RP community’s growth to a planned RP event exclusively on the RMB.

What would you do, if elected, to help promote the Forum RP community?

This is a good catch, because I did not intend to give the impression that I was particularly focusing on RMB roleplay. The gameside community as a whole is what I am aiming to help with my policies, and I believe that's much more than their RP. The RMB cultural event in fact will probably feature the RMB RP, but I was thinking it would be a bit broader than that. I want to make it clear that when I speak of RP, I am not trying to speak of one or the other kind, I have RP in general in mind when I talk about utilizing the university to chronicle and teach others how we RP and what aspects of it work particularly well and can be an example to others. When I speak of a regular publication that can showcase our RP to the rest of the world, I always envisioned that forum and RMB RP would be featured. I believe every effort to showcase our region's RP and to make it a key cultural export for others in NS will benefit both RP communities, and could not be as successful if it did not take the best of both worlds.

Practically speaking, the university is on the forum, so just as an RMB cultural event would naturally lend itself to RMB RP, the RP University project would naturally lend itself to the forum RP. That does not mean that the other kind cannot be a part of it, of course, but I hope it helps you see that even in my big picture ideas, the two sides are rather balanced. I don't intend to leave anyone out who wants to take part in these events or can offer valuable contributions to them, and I don't plan to favor one over the other either. I am sorry if I gave you that impression.

Your answer was very informative and appreciated. Thank you!

Hey Pallaith ,what do you think about forum mentors? I joined this forum a month ago and I am doing fine but would have been much better with more guidance.

Hey Pallaith ,what do you think about forum mentors? I joined this forum a month ago and I am doing fine but would have been much better with more guidance.
I think it’s a great program and should continue, but without being directly involved in HA it’s hard for me to evaluate how it’s been doing. I remember that HA frequently posted new assignments for forum mentors and I haven’t noticed that as much as I used to (though I admit it’s a new forum and I haven’t been looking for it, so it’s possible that’s still the case).

Going forward forum mentors are going to be a thing of the past, because I’m going to focus on mentors in general and that will include mentoring RMB players as well. Mentors in my plan won’t just do one thing, they will walk new citizens and newcomers through the process wherever the need arises and that will not always be the forum.

One way we can improve this program is develop tools we already have, including the region’s handbook and our existing FAQs. I think the volunteers we have for the program could use a little more structure when going about their duties. I don’t want to overburden them with canned answers and paperwork they have to throw at new players, but I think they would find it helpful if they had some resources at their fingertips and tailored for introducing new players to TNP.

You have my full support. Good luck with the campaign.

Sorry, missed your post here. Glad to hear it, thank you so much!

While I'm here, I would like to highlight another action item from my platform. The potential for gameside activity is huge and we really could be utilizing our existing activities and tools better than we have been. I would like to highlight a couple in particular that I briefly mentioned in my platform. The first is RMB trivia, an idea that keeps cropping up but never seems to settle into a consistent form. If we extended the length of the trivia and had it run for a month at a time, we could have a series of winners by refreshing the event while having it as a regular feature of regional activity. I want the trivia to be so consistent a thing that people take it for granted as one thing they can do while hanging out in TNP, as easy and present as exchanging endorsements. This also creates something for us to apply our potential card prizes to. It is also my hope that the gameside advocates who run this program will also broaden their own knowledge of he whole community, and more exposure to history and other aspects of the region would help the gameside community forge an even stronger connection to the offsite community.

The second thing is our TNL nation. With a recent trend of making greater use of polls for fun, we're missing an obvious and constant source of poll ideas: NS issues. Every issue is a question requiring decisions, and those decisions can be made by the region at large. Unlike temporary flags and slogans which certain officials can allow the region from time to time to select, we can be doing that constantly with a nation designated to be the "regional nation." This does not mean we can't still have temporary title and other profile changes, but we can keep this sort of thing going indefinitely. All of these things in combination add a slate of options for the region in-game and that variety should boost interest and participation in a group already prone to be engaged, when given the opportunity. So let's give them those opportunities.

FoIA. Discord. Discuss.
Discord is an exception to areas that are subject to citizen inquiry, but it shouldn't be, especially since it has become such a significant part of our daily discourse and communication, if not the main one. I support efforts to bring Discord into the fold of areas subject to FoIA disclosure, I see no reason why it shouldn't be. If no one else takes on the issue themselves, I would even be willing to draft the legislation myself.

Once again I would like to take this time to highlight an action item from my platform. This one is very near and dear to my heart, as it involves the WA. Right now we have an awesome sponsorship program for WA authors. Parallel to this, we have the means of easily launching campaigns in favor of resolutions. What better way to demonstrate our commitment to the authors we wish to sponsor, and to invest in their success, than to combine these efforts and make a campaign for sponsored legislation a regular part of that process. There has been talk in some circles about how TNP waits for authors to present themselves to us. As part of our efforts to be more present in WA matters and to be a part of the community, we should absolutely seek out authors who are working on resolutions we like and offer to sponsor them without them coming to us first. I have always wanted us to export tools and ideas that work well for us here and could be utilized in other places, and I see no reason why our WA sponsorship can't be one of those exports. As we become more visible and involved in the WA community, goodwill to our WA team and our region in general will follow. This will also enhance WALL's standing, which is always worth doing.

I always try to blend experienced and well-suited individuals with up-and-coming promising talent. Continuity in the ministries is important, especially when they have been working particularly well and we want that to continue. You will likely see some of the some people who are there now. I never tried taking applicants for office when I was delegate before, and I think I would like to see what comes from that, especially since that is ow I got my start.
Who in particular would you be interested in applications from for each Ministry?

Who in particular would you be interested in applications from for each Ministry?
That sounds a lot like a roundabout way of asking my cabinet picks :P

I'll start with you, Darc, I hope you are involved in Defense because you did a good job for us, short-lived though it ended up being, but I wouldn't mind seeing you step up in Culture given how important RP will be in my plans for the ministry in the term ahead. I hope Escade returns to a more prominent role there as well. I have long thought BMW would be fantastic taking a leadership role in WA and would love seeing him apply. Any veteran diplomat, but especially Senior Diplomats should definitely apply in FA, because there's a lot of advisory types but few who are willing to take on the primary role there. Brendog and even Bob have become familiar faces in NBS and for that reason I would be interested in potential plans for Comms if they happened to have any. Similarly people in HA who take on the rows week after week and especially are proven mentors would be near the top for me. It is important though to stress that they can be unsung heroes, or even people who up until now aren't well-known or top of mind for me. That's what is potentially so great about the application process, it can and should produce surprises. I like to think that's how I presented myself when Plemby picked me, so I would like to give aspiring players and people with talent and skill a chance to display what they have to offer.

Discord is an exception to areas that are subject to citizen inquiry

Can you explain how you came to this conclusion?

Preferably with at least one legal citation. :P

Edit: Also,

1) What is your stance on the NPO, and what TNP's stance should be in relation to it? Do you support a declaration of war?

2) How do you feel about the balance between forum activity and discord activity? As delegate, would you seek to shift activity from one to the other in any particular area?

Last edited:
Can you explain how you came to this conclusion?

Preferably with at least one legal citation. :P

Edit: Also,

1) What is your stance on the NPO, and what TNP's stance should be in relation to it? Do you support a declaration of war?

2) How do you feel about the balance between forum activity and discord activity? As delegate, would you seek to shift activity from one to the other in any particular area?

I will grant you this SillyString, it is a matter of interpretation whether or not Discord is excluded. I believe it is sufficiently ambiguous that a law covering Discord would be a good idea, and my reading of the law leads me to believe that a strong case can be made that it is excluded. I spoke declaratively, as I tend to do when making an argument, but this did give the impression that it is settled law and undeniable truth that Discord is not subject to FoIA. That is not the case and I want to state clearly now that it is a matter of belief on my part that Discord is excluded. With that out of the way, I would like to offer why I believe that.

Specifically, there are two areas that I believe give this argument strength. The first is Section 7.5, Clause 32 of the Legal Code, which outlines criteria for classified information. Discord lends itself to rapid and lengthy conversation, unlike the forum which teds to be shorter and more deliberate. As the government has made use of these channels, they have felt freer to express themselves, perhaps carelessly is the right word. There is a higher likelihood and I believe the reality is that they will say personal things or let casual personal details slip more than they would on the forum. Sorting that out would be difficult, and a law mandating its release or figuring out an approach that would work could help officials use the channels a little more carefully. I suspect that there would be more cause than there is on the forum for evidence of classified details.

The second area is Clause 34 and deals with the issue of logistics. Releasing threads is easy, releasing extensive logs is not. Conversations are interrupted, continue after days, and blur. A request for information on a certain discussion could sweep up unrelated conversation, and people would need to make a judgment call on which portions of the logs are relevant or should be included. The forum also has a designated archive where declassified threads may be stored. Discord does not. The law states in Clause 34 that records should be moved to "the appropriate Declassified Archive." What is that exactly? I can think of a few ways this can be done, but it has not been done thus far. I have always thought this is because we used the same approach for Discord that we did for IRC. If in fact the law applies to Discord just as it does to the forum, we have potential compliance issues that need to be addressed. I believe it is particularly troublesome and bureaucratically nightmarish to claim that successive governments have not been properly handling this material for 3 years and all that would ensue from that. However, I accept that one could argue that even with these barriers, citizens could have asked for this information and received it. I did not necessarily think such requests were off limits, and largely had in mind the clauses I outlined. The good news is that if there is no conflict with FoIA, we don't have nearly as much work ahead of us in applying it to Discord as I initially feared. Ambiguities such as this, though, should be addressed and I hope the fact we were able to explore this issue signifies that it needs clearing up.

As to your other questions:

1)The NPO violated our trust in a major way just as it did many of our allies and neighbors. The last time I was Delegate we saw significant improvement in relations with the NPO, and we gave them the benefit of the doubt that they were genuinely trying to get along better with TNP. Our kindness and trust, which took years to get to the level it was just a few months ago, was completely taken for granted. We were within our rights, and I would even say obligated, to terminate formal relations with the NPO after what transpired. I do not believe that rose to the level of war, however.

2)I was inclined to say that it is undeniable Discord has a greater share of our region's activity. There are days, though, where I find it hard to really make that case. Our Forum still has a lot of traffic. Sure, much of it is the spam games, but there is a lot going on here, and in many cases we have things happen here that can only happen here on the Forum. Some places have seen their Forum dry up completely in favor of Discord. I do not see that happening here. The barrier of entry is probably lower on Discord, and for that reason I would keep encouraging its use to players who have not yet participated in the offsite area of our community. However, I think the Forum is ingrained in our culture and is an essential part of regional life. I think what is here is here for a reason, and could not adequately be replaced by Discord. We got to test life without a Forum recently, wen we had to make the changeover to this Forum. Discord didn't see a dramatic increase in use, aside from the case of the WA voting, since it had to take place there. We saw contraction in activity across our ministries, and a complete stop to RA and judicial matters. This does not mean we couldn't establish them on Discord, but I think we saw clearly enough that we need both areas. WA voting was vastly increased in participation, but we had issues determining proper eligibility of those votes. I saw potential for greater WA voter participation though, and think if we do expand the use of the Forum, it could be in this area.

I'm glad to see you running again, what I appreciated about you when we worked together professionally was that you cared very deeply about TNP and genuinely wanted to do well for the region! Good luck :)

I thought about this long and hard. I have decided to vote for you for three reasons:
  1. When you first joined the region, you became the Minister of World Assembly Affairs during my second term as MoFA. During your term, I found activity increased significantly within the Ministry, prior, there was frequently little discussion within the Ministry and discussion was often limited to the Senior Diplomats. Additionally, you were involved in the creation of WALL's server with plembobria which brought us significantly more activity. Recent increases in other region's WA power relative to ours poses a challenge. I believe your previous position as MoWAA will ensure you are well-suited on working on retaining our dominance in the WA.
  2. Recent events in the NPO and our ally with TSP demonstrate we will be entering a more volatile time in interregional affairs. This requires an individual with experience again to meet these challenges and someone who is going to be work on improving already existing relationships to look forward and not get dragged down like other regions risk. Once again, I believe you have the necessary experience and vision to accomplish this.
  3. You have a considerable interest in Cards, a mini-game with great potential. Untapped yet by any other regions as a cultural resource, I believe once again your experience in Cards (one of the few top 50 ranked TNPers) as well as your experience will help to develop Cards into an on-going cultural experience for the region.
Pallaith, you have my vote and I hope you receive the region's vote too.

I'm glad to see you running again, what I appreciated about you when we worked together professionally was that you cared very deeply about TNP and genuinely wanted to do well for the region! Good luck :)

I am glad that shone through in my work, thank you.

I thought about this long and hard. I have decided to vote for you for three reasons:
  1. When you first joined the region, you became the Minister of World Assembly Affairs during my second term as MoFA. During your term, I found activity increased significantly within the Ministry, prior, there was frequently little discussion within the Ministry and discussion was often limited to the Senior Diplomats. Additionally, you were involved in the creation of WALL's server with plembobria which brought us significantly more activity. Recent increases in other region's WA power relative to ours poses a challenge. I believe your previous position as MoWAA will ensure you are well-suited on working on retaining our dominance in the WA.
  2. Recent events in the NPO and our ally with TSP demonstrate we will be entering a more volatile time in interregional affairs. This requires an individual with experience again to meet these challenges and someone who is going to be work on improving already existing relationships to look forward and not get dragged down like other regions risk. Once again, I believe you have the necessary experience and vision to accomplish this.
  3. You have a considerable interest in Cards, a mini-game with great potential. Untapped yet by any other regions as a cultural resource, I believe once again your experience in Cards (one of the few top 50 ranked TNPers) as well as your experience will help to develop Cards into an on-going cultural experience for the region.
Pallaith, you have my vote and I hope you receive the region's vote too.

Praetor, I'm sure you realize how much this means coming from you. I really appreciate your words. I think the WALL Discord predated my time in the ministry, but we definitely made bigger use of it at that point. Thank you so much for the support.

I am glad that shone through in my work, thank you.

Praetor, I'm sure you realize how much this means coming from you. I really appreciate your words. I think the WALL Discord predated my time in the ministry, but we definitely made bigger use of it at that point. Thank you so much for the support.
You're welcome.

The WALL Discord server did not predate you. It was created by Balder's former Delegate during plembobria's first term. You were one of the first individuals who joined; I believe you actually joined before me.

You're welcome.

The WALL Discord server did not predate you. It was created by Balder's former Delegate during plembobria's first term. You were one of the first individuals who joined; I believe you actually joined before me.
I guess I assumed it was already there and people just didn't use it much. That's interesting.

What do you see being your biggest challenge for the next term if elected?

What do you see being your biggest challenge for the next term if elected?

Foreign Policy. The game is in flux in a big way and surprising twists keep happening. The international condemnation of the NPO has quieted somewhat and recent events revealed TBH to have been up to shady things as well. The lines separating the regions who take positions on these things are constantly shifting, and sometimes our friends and allies find themselves on different sides of them. Despite my optimism, the old relationships and grudges continue to be an important factor, and constantly compete with renewed efforts to forge better relationships with neighbors and strengthen the bonds we currently have. I may have improved in my capacity to understand and navigate them, but they are taking on a new level of difficulty these days. FA will keep us on our toes in a way it hasn't in a long time, right when we are making an effort to get more involved in the wider game.

I have another question, if you will forgive the liberty.

If you were to coup TNP, how would you go about it?

Off the top of my head...charm myself into the top of the line of succession under the VD and Delegate. Wait for a particularly reckless or sensitive occupant for the Vice Delegacy who would either be willing to gamble their position away in a game of chess or Tic Tac Toe or something, or would be susceptible to a scathing letter that would shame them or break their spirit and lead to their resignation. At the same time, I would work on a method of locking the Delegate out of their account, or spoofing their information so it appears they are violating WA rules so that their WA is removed. The ensuing confusion/mess would allow them to be vulnerable to recall or a resignation while I serve as Acting Delegate. Once all that is managed, it would be a simple matter of stretching the election out as much as possible, preferably with multiple legal challenges. The linchpin of this, though, is building rapport and support with the RMB so that if I choose to shift into more old school despotism, they are less inclined to cooperate with SC efforts to unendorse me or endorse the SC or the eventual legal delegate.

I did also consider "accidentally" ejecting each member of the SC successively during every Z-Day event and distracting the entire region so that they forget those people were ejected, but that would take about 10 years.

Related to SillyString's:

Will you bow to the Catholic plurality voting for you en masse?

I believe in a North Pacific where the separation of church and state is absolute, where no Catholic prelate would tell the delegate (should he be Catholic) how to act, and no Flemingovian minister would tell his parishioners for whom to vote; where no temple or church school is granted any public funds or political preference; and where no man is denied public office merely because his religion differs from the delegate who might appoint him or the regional assembly which might elect him.

Accidentally eject SC members on Z-Day? Now why didn't I think of that? FYI It takes a crippling amount of influence.

Just a note on separation of church and state. Many people confuse freedom of religion with freedom from religion. They are not the same thing. Why do you think a religious community should not support a candidate whose programs are aligned with their beliefs?

Accidentally eject SC members on Z-Day? Now why didn't I think of that? FYI It takes a crippling amount of influence.

Just a note on separation of church and state. Many people confuse freedom of religion with freedom from religion. They are not the same thing. Why do you think a religious community should not support a candidate whose programs are aligned with their beliefs?

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole North Pacific people which declared that their regional assembly should not prohibit the free exercise of religion, thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the region in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

Oh, well said!

You possess the temperament to handle conflict diplomatically. This will go a long way toward managing TNP's affairs both at home and globally. You know, in this race for delegate I initially thought you were the safe choice. But as the campaigns have unfolded, I now see you are the wise choice. Best of luck.

Oh, well said!

You possess the temperament to handle conflict diplomatically. This will go a long way toward managing TNP's affairs both at home and globally. You know, in this race for delegate I initially thought you were the safe choice. But as the campaigns have unfolded, I now see you are the wise choice. Best of luck.

Well thank you for saying so!

For you, where is the line between being popular and appearing mainly characterless and generic enough to have mass appeal and then holding and communicating your convictions in the office?

Off the top of my head...charm myself into the top of the line of succession under the VD and Delegate. Wait for a particularly reckless or sensitive occupant for the Vice Delegacy who would either be willing to gamble their position away in a game of chess or Tic Tac Toe or something, or would be susceptible to a scathing letter that would shame them or break their spirit and lead to their resignation. At the same time, I would work on a method of locking the Delegate out of their account, or spoofing their information so it appears they are violating WA rules so that their WA is removed. The ensuing confusion/mess would allow them to be vulnerable to recall or a resignation while I serve as Acting Delegate. Once all that is managed, it would be a simple matter of stretching the election out as much as possible, preferably with multiple legal challenges. The linchpin of this, though, is building rapport and support with the RMB so that if I choose to shift into more old school despotism, they are less inclined to cooperate with SC efforts to unendorse me or endorse the SC or the eventual legal delegate.

I did also consider "accidentally" ejecting each member of the SC successively during every Z-Day event and distracting the entire region so that they forget those people were ejected, but that would take about 10 years.
An interesting choice. Do you generally prefer complexity to simplicity, or just when plotting to overthrow democracy?

Back