Pan-Gotic Union

Anders stood for a moment in shock.

"Mr. Løfgren, firstly- congratulations on your election, and Mr. Årnad, thank you for your own service." He paused. "Concerning the deputy position, I'd be honored to accept it."

Kif Krogh nodded.
"A hearty congratulations to you Chancellor Løfgren."

Lucie Marquette prepared to speak. She had played a major role in Highton’s foreign relations in the past few months, so she seemed the ideal choice to send to speak at the PGU.

“Honorable delegates of the Pan-Gotic Union: I come to speak to you today on behalf of the Crowned Republic to request admittance to the Pan-Gotic Union as a full member state. As a majority Gotic nation with connections to several PGU member states, we believe that Highton would fit right in in this Union of esteemed nations. We also believe we would have much to add to the Union.

“Highton may be a small nation, but as one of the richest nations in the region we have established ourselves as a stable and reliable ally. Highton boasts a rich culture and a deep history, which has helped make quality of life in the nation among the highest in Eras. Since the first Gotic people arrived on Highton’s Phoenix Coast in the fifth century, the Aleman people have lived a consistent way of life centered around hard work and loyalty.

“But why specifically does Highton hope to join the PGU? In recent years, the Crowned Republic has aimed to strengthen relations with foreign nations in order to benefit not only Highton but also the foreign nations for purposes of trade, technological advancement, or science. The Crowned Republic especially would like to strengthen political, economic, and cultural relations with our Gotic cousins for the benefit of both parties and joining the PGU would be a huge step in the direction for this goal.

Please feel free to ask any questions about Highton’s potential role in the Union or specifically about the Crowned Republic. I’’ve provided a short report containing information on Highton’s politics, economy, and military figures. Thank you for your time, we hope you will support the Crowned Republic’s admission and work towards a more stable and peaceful Eras.”

Last edited:
Chancellor Løfgren stood before his fellow members like the crypt keeper come to life. Was that dust on his hands?

"I open the floor for discussion as our aids pass out copies of Miss Marquette's report. Questions are encouraged."

Årnad turned on his microphone.

"We find no issue with this report, and would be pleased to vote on it. Obviously we will not motion yet considering nobody else has voiced their opinion."

He turned off the microphone and went back to completing a crossword puzzle.

The Andrennian delegations had been talking and... possibly laughing quietly at an inside joke before they realized no one else was talking. Letting herself calm down from the utterly hilarious inside joke of the Andrennian delegation, Karri spoke into the microphone after clearing her throat.

“We are generally in agreement with the Goyanean delegation, however we don’t believe only two opinions are enough to push this to a vote just yet and would like to hear the opinions of other delegations.”

Pulling away from the microphone the Andrennians went back to their inside jokes, quietly snickering while waiting for other delegations to speak up.

The elder Olera sighed before taking off her reading glasses and then pinching the bridge of her nose. Taking a sip of water to clear her throat before speaking.

"While most of you are too young to remember the war with fascists, I am not, and the Ilian Coalition can not in good conscious support the application of a state with a Government that includes a Junior Party that champions the Right Wing Nationalists cause and venerates the work of the Gothic & Cravitarian Fascists by using the name Recht. I find it nigh inappropriate of a state to apply to this group of states when they tie themselves to the devil."

Meyer turned on his microphone to speak next.

"Valland cannot, in good conscience, support the entrance of Highton into this august union as long as their government contains influence or the risk of influence from far-right, neofascist organizations such as this 'Recht'. The risks are simply too great, and the stakes too high."

"I was alive when the war occurred, as well. I remember it, as do millions of Vallanders, and their descendants, whose families fought and died to preserve the spirit of democracy against fascist occupation. We cannot allow the spiritual successors of those great enemies to wield any form of influence in this union, as they may very well could."

Kif Krogh nodded in agreement.
"I was not alive for the Fascist War, but in many ways Prydania still bares the scars of the fascist Social Commonwealth government of 1984-2002. The Kingdom of Prydania will not, and shall not, support Highton's ascension into this union so long as fascists continue to hold sway in their government. I wish to echo the Gotmark delegation's sentiments from the Merilian application; the PGU is not a social club for representatives from Gotic nations. We are an alliance of shared values as well as heritage, and fascism ought to have no place within that."

Marquette stood once again to address the Pan-Gotic Union, with many emotions going through her head this time.

“These discussions have taken a turn I could not have foreseen, however I find it necessary to make a clarification on behalf of Highton. As our nation promotes democracy and freedom, there will always be radicals and extremists looking for power. Highton by no means endorses fascism or other extremist beliefs, but instead champions the right to democracy. It should also be noted that as Highton has many parties, it is often necessary for coalitions to be drawn, and the addition of Die Recht to the traditional Conservative-Libertarian coalition came only because it was one seat short of a majority in the Representative Legislature. The Crowned Republic hopes that it can work with it’s Gotic brethren to improve society, not denounce a side effect of its own democracy.

“Thank you for listening once again and I hope that the esteemed nations of this union who have opposed Highton ascension will reconsider their position.”

Last edited:
"Mr. Marquette, so what you are telling this body is that for the sake of political expedience your government bowed down to neo-fascists. We have have the extremes of our democracies. But we fight them instead of embracing. The fact that they are willing to sacrifice the moral high ground 'because they were one seat short' shows at least the Coalition that your not trustworthy because your state will do anything to make it just a wee bit easier."

Ambassador Krogh turned to Ambassador Marquette.

"The inclusion of Die Recht in the Highton government will continue to give my government pause. To say anything to the contrary at this point would be dishonest. We will also, however, take into account that the Highton government does not seem to be influenced by this troublesome inclusion. I will have to confer with my government before promising support or opposition."

Løfgren stood.

"The motion and seconding is recognized. I'll pass out ballots now."

He slowly made his way to each party to hand out thick bundles of paper.

Code:
[b]Nation:[/b] 
[b]Admit the Crowned Republic of Highton as a member?[/b] < YEA | NAY | ABSTAIN >

Last edited:
Nation: Kingdom of Prydania
Admit the Crowned Republic of Highton as a member? < YEA >

Nation: The Greater Ilian Coalition of the Eastern Leagues of Itrea and Icetio and the Western Regent-Kingdom of Taveris
Admit the Crowned Republic of Highton as a member? NAY

Last edited:
Nation: Vallish Confederation
Admit the Crowned Republic of Highton as a member? < ABSTAIN >

Nation: The Malor-Kanadian Empire
Admit the Crowned Republic of Highton as a member? < NAY >

Løfgren shuffled back to the podium.

"The count has been made. We have three abstentions. Two nays. Six yays.
The Crowned Republic of Highton is henceforth a full member of this union."

Løfgren sniffled a bit before speaking into his mic.

"As you all know it is time to elect a new chancellor to run this fine union. Candidacy declarations are now open and shall remain open for the next four days. Afterwards we will have a debate period of three days. I leave the floor to you."

Code:
[b]Candidate:[/b]

Mr. Løfgren turned on his microphone to speak.

"The candidate declaration period has finished. Now there will be three days for candidates to present their speeches/statements and for members to ask questions of the candidates."

Lucie Marquette stood to speak, representing Highton at the Pan-Gotic Union for the first time as a member state.

"Good afternoon– before I pose my questions to the candidates for the role of Chancellor, I'd like to state on behalf of the Crowned Republic how grateful it is to be a part of this esteemed Union, and that it hopes that all the nations in this room will continue to work together alongside Highton to improve our nations. Formalities aside, it is now necessary to elect a new chancellor to lead us. Four qualified and suitable candidates have put their names forward, and Highton is prepared to listen to what all of them have to say before deciding who to vote for. But if I may ask: How do you feel the Pan-Gotic Union should be operating on the international stage, particularly relations with other supranational political organizations? How unified should the nations of the PGU be in this foreign policy?"

She turns off the microphone and sits.

Prince Harris, surveying the room, leans forward and turns on the microphone. "A question for the candidates. For some time now, Ajovulkan separatists have sought recognition for their fledgling state on the islands they call home. Both Goyanes and Andrenne claims the islands and bilateral talks between the two are stalled to non-existent. What will the candidates do to try to resolve this dispute, and safeguard the rights of our Gotic brother people the Ajovulkans?"

Årnad stood first. He was a veteran chancellor of the PGU, and had served as its first official elected chancellor.

"Mrs. Marquette. In terms of relations with other supranational organizations, we've already experimented with such an endeavor, and we have seen the results. The ANU had its talks fall out, and we achieved no conclusive agreement in the end. While under my leadership we would seek friendly relations with those unions and organizations that share our values and interests, we believe that larger scale partnership could prove to be unwieldy if taken too far."

He took a sip of water.

"Regarding national foreign policy, in my humble opinion, the PGU is not meant to dictate national foreign policy nor have supremacy over national jurisdictions. That is not what we are here for. While it is a general consensus that the foreign policy of our members are very similar, we have had differing policies in the past and that has no way hampered our progress as a union. "

"Now, your Highness, Prince Harris. Regarding the condition of Ajovulka, I, and my government, believe that is an internal matter between Goyanes and Andrenne, as the territory belongs to both of us, and that the PGU should not be exercising internal control over individual member nations. That being said, I would be open to restarting talks to resolve the issue."

He sat down, awaiting further questions.

Mrs. Vistell was next, sipping from her thermos before standing up and putting her attention towards the delegate from Highton. Like Årnad, Karri was a veteran chancellor, having recently served as it's second Non-Goyanean chancellor.

"In response to Mrs. Marquette- While we have had our downfalls in terms of international relations with other organizations such as the former Phoenix Union and the, at the time, continued attempt of the ANU, I believe that we should cooperate more with other alliances.

"Not to maintain military security but instead in an attempt to keep our relations with other alliances prosperous. The PGU can not be an introvert anymore. Not with the size of this alliance. I believe cooperation with alliances such as the Trillium Compact or the META alliance could allow the PGU to flourish both economically and politically on the world stage."

After a brief pause, Karri cleared her throat before turning her attention to the young Prince of Gotmark.

"As for your topic, Your Highness, as with Mr. Årnad I believe that this is a tense issue to be solved by Andrenne and Goyanes alone. While the PGU may serve as a good mediator, it should not be getting involved with a nearly 200 year old claim and dispute.

"That should be for the Foreign Affairs Ministries of the involved nations. If it becomes an even larger issue and a solution can not be decided? Then yes, I believe the PGU could serve as more than a mediator, but I don't have a doubt in my mind that Andrenne and Goyanes could achieve a common solution with continued talks, of which I support fully."

Afterwards she took her seat once more to take another sip from her thermos. It had been awhile since she had actually stood to speak in the PGU as it was more a formality than anything else at this point.

Kjeld Svane leaned into his microphone.

"I would first like to welcome the Crowned Republic of Highton the PGU. I would also like to introduce myself. You know my colleague Kif Krogh, Prydania's ambassador to this union. I myself have served as a diplomat for the Front of National Unity from 2006 to 2017. I have since then served in the Foreign Ministry of the Prydanian Foreign Affairs Ministry, where I was recently sent as a representative of my government to act as a mediator in an Eras Society of Honourable Nations dispute. That lead to me playing a leading role in preparations for my country to officially recognize the independence of Sutherland."

He took a sip of water.
"My government has decided to nominate me for the Chancellorship of the PGU. It's an honour, and I hope to answer your questions to the best of my ability."

"To Ambassador Marquette's question. It's my opinion that the PGU works best as a forum, rather than as a vehicle for a uniform foreign policy. Our peoples share much, but the reality is that our governments must by necessity dictate their own foreign policy. I would not expect Andrenne, for example, to want to be drawn into a foreign policy direction that primarily serves Prydania and Malor-Kanada's interests in regards to the Bergum Pact. Likewise one can understand why the events of Gothis may be of little concern to the VF."

"Again, though, I would stress the vital nature of the PGU as a forum to discuss these disparate foreign policy goals and work towards peaceful solutions wherever they may come into conflict."

Svane turned to the Gotmark delegation.
"In response to the question from Your Highness? The Ajovulkan situation is one where the status quo at first seems preferable. Despite the limbo? Peace has been maintained. At what cost, though? One can make the argument that the Ajovulkan people have been left voiceless."

"I want to emphasize that the Ajovulkan separatist factions must not be mistaken for the Ajovulkan people as a whole. My colleagues from Goyanes and Andrenne have pointed out the longevity of the dispute. One can assume that there are Ajovulkans who feel a sense of loyalty to Goyanes, and those who identify with Andrenne. To what extent any of these factions commands the majority to Ajovulkans remains to be determined. And that is the problem, isn't it?"

"If elected, I promise to hold a non-binding referendum on Ajovulka's future. The results can be studied, and from there a path forward based on the Ajovulkan people's wishes found."

Meyer turned on his microphone.

"Concerning Ambassador Marquette's question, Ambassador Vistell mentioned the size of this alliance. While it is of course ideal that we cooperate with other supranational organizations and expand our role in the global sphere, that very size simply makes it impossible. This union represents our pan-Gotic heritage, but we cannot deny the reality that within that pan-Gotic heritage exists numerous subcultures, ideas, forms of government, walks of life, and popular attitudes."

"As with Mr. Svane, I believe this union is vital as an international forum, for the purposes of discussion, compromise, and cooperation between these widely varying groups. That is unity in diversity."

"This leads me to your question, your highness." Meyer continued, turning to Prince Harris. "While the dispute over Ajovulka has been occurring for a long time, it is definitely something that needs to be looked at. While my government has stated its neutrality on the matter of Ajovulka, if elected Chancellor I would not just be responsible for conveying Valland's opinions to this assembly; but I would also be responsible for serving this union as a whole- as a Gotic brotherhood- and Ajovulkans are undoubtedly, whatever nationality you believe they are, Gotic too."

"Mr. Svane's plan for a referendum amongst this assembly concerning Ajovulka's future is a good one. But at the same time, I can't agree with it. Whilst it is true that the current limbo has been relatively peaceful, it is exactly that which we must consider. This is not a time of fear. This dispute is not an urgent danger to any of us, nor has it been so for many years. Action is what is needed, and action is what I believe in."

"As I previously mentioned, Ajovulkans are Gotic too. I believe it to be our duty as a union of Gotic states to either solve or at the very least attempt to solve the dispute, for the sake of the very promotion of solidarity between Gotic peoples that this union has always promoted. If elected, I will assemble a tribunal of PGU member states who have not taken a side in the dispute, to act as arbitrators between the delegations of Goyanes and Andrenne."

"Mr. Svane also touched on an important point- the Ajovulkan separatists must not be interpreted as being representative of the will of the Ajovulkan people as a whole. No doubt there are Ajovulkans who feel loyalty to either Goyanes and/or Andrenne as well. But the existence of such separatists does undoubtedly point to the possibility that there are Ajovulkans who feel loyalty to neither nation but rather to some sort of idea of a separate Ajovulka. This creates three conflicting opinions on the situation, not two. In order to facilitate the most efficient talks possible? They ought to be included at the table, so that all opinions on the matter of Ajovulka can be represented."

"If elected, it is my hope that the tribunal I will endeavor to assemble will be able to, God willing, with the cooperation of all involved parties, be able to end two hundred years of dispute and light the way to Ajovulka's future. Things like that are what the PGU is all about."

Last edited:
Mr. Løfgren turned on his microphone to speak.

"Many thanks to the candidates for their words. We will now begin the voting. Ballots are currently being passed out amongst you. Do take your time, it is not a test."

Code:
[b]December 2018 PGU Chancellor Election.[/b]

[b]Vote:[/b] < Kari Vistell > < Kjeld Svane > < Anders Meyer > < Jorgen Årnad >

Back