The Sangatha

Nation: Iraelia
Admit Guslantis to the Syrixian Commonwealth <YES>

"With five votes for, no votes against, and one abstention the Kingdom of Guslantis' application to join the Syrixian Commonwealth is hereby approved by the council. I'll send the results to His Majesty to be reviewed for approval immediately."

Barak had an aide take the ballots away to be filed as he drafted the resolution for the Emperor to review.

[img=200,200]https://i.imgur.com/sjPImkB.png[/img]​

Honorable Members of the Commonwealth:

Pursuant to Commonwealth international law as mandated by the Charter, I hereby grant my assent to the Resolution Confirming the Membership of Guslantis. I welcome the Guslant nation and people to our brotherhood of nations, on behalf of all the people of the Commonwealth.

[img=250,64]https://i.imgur.com/sgKfHdT.png[/img]
His Majesty, Rajesh III
Head of the Commonwealth

Thorbjörg Vlekk? stood.

"We welcome Guslantis into The Commonwealth and hope for a prosperous and productive future together."

[img=200,200]http://i.imgur.com/VvqwkYU.png[/img]​

To the members of the Commonwealth and the world:

The provinces of Idoriss, Larton, Oida, and Jaresa are part of what was formerly Syrixian land. Many different types of people now inhabit these lands, including the former Syrixian people, but also the Mirageans and Sinoans as well.

We are proud to be a part of this commonwealth, and we are proud to see where this union takes us as a country. With the strength of this commonwealth and our membership in META, Guslantis will prove itself as one of the most powerful nations in the world in culture, trade, technology, and in valor.

We, joined as the governors of our respective provinces, extend Vimal Misra from the city of Attarahanda as our Commonwealth Councilor. He has served in many political positions within the southern region of Guslantis, and it is our pleasure to bring him forward to the world stage in this capacity.

If you have any further questions, do reach out to Councilor Misra and he will direct your questions to the appropriate Guslant official.

Surgite et Pugnate!

Zachariah Ikin
Governor of Idoriss

Iskandar Alfarsi
Governor of Larton

Yan Lin Leng
Governor of Oida

Kari Tennfjord
Governor of Jaresa

to his imperial Majesty of Syrixia,

The nation that was Ereion is dead and the spirit of our patron lady is dying. long ago, we abandoned Syrixia to find our own nations way and that has led us to our downfall. Now Ereion's old government has collapsed and the factions that have divided the nation are gearing up for War. War is going to be a fact of our life that I can guarantee. We ask not for your aid, we ask not that you send soldiers, we ask for you to give us hope and something that we may strive for in our coming fight.

My ships will engage in piracy against none but our foes. we will stop targeting any and all Commonwealth ships for supplies. and I ask that the Commonwealth allow us the chance to evacuate those who wish to leave Ereion.

I Adonis Vidales, leader of the Ereion Bay after council with my Cabinet ask that Ereion Bay, and hopefully soon in the future, Ereion as a whole be allowed membership into the Commonwealth, so we may seek guidance and strive for the virtues that the Commonwealth values.

Signed,
Adonis Vidales
Admiral of the Bay Fleet, Leader of Ereion Bay

Message- Aug. 22:
[img=200,200]https://i.imgur.com/sjPImkB.png[/img]​

Mr. Secretary-General:

I have received a letter from an individual who appears to be or at least claims to be Adonis Vidales, former Ereionese Navy admiral and current known leader of the Bay faction of Ereionese pirates. As you no doubt know, this faction is one of the more organized armed groups within Ereion; and not only do their promises appear to be lucrative, but their requests in exchange are not very demanding.

I believe it expedient that the Council seize this opportunity whilst it is fresh, and convene to discuss how to react to this letter and to formulate a plan of action. Enclosed, you will find the full text of the letter.

I remain,
[img=250,64]https://i.imgur.com/sgKfHdT.png[/img]
His Imperial Majesty, Rajesh III
Head of the Commonwealth

To his imperial Majesty of Syrixia,

The nation that was Ereion is dead and the spirit of our patron lady is dying. long ago, we abandoned Syrixia to find our own nations way and that has led us to our downfall. Now Ereion's old government has collapsed and the factions that have divided the nation are gearing up for War. War is going to be a fact of our life that I can guarantee. We ask not for your aid, we ask not that you send soldiers, we ask for you to give us hope and something that we may strive for in our coming fight.

My ships will engage in piracy against none but our foes. we will stop targeting any and all Commonwealth ships for supplies. and I ask that the Commonwealth allow us the chance to evacuate those who wish to leave Ereion.

I Adonis Vidales, leader of the Ereion Bay after council with my Cabinet ask that Ereion Bay, and hopefully soon in the future, Ereion as a whole be allowed membership into the Commonwealth, so we may seek guidance and strive for the virtues that the Commonwealth values.

Signed,
Adonis Vidales
Admiral of the Bay Fleet, Leader of Ereion Bay

The energy was electric around the capital as Imber Barak prepared to open another Commonwealth session. "Interim" Secretary-General or not he found himself doing far more in Pataliputra then he had originally planned on doing.
And now a nation whose existence was merely theoretical in practical terms was applying for membership. The council was abuzz with chatter.

"Order, order please" he said, standing.
"This meeting as been called by His Majesty Rajesh III, Emperor of Syrixia and head of the Syrixian Commonwealth. We meet to discuss a letter received by His Majesty, allegedly from Adonis Vidales. Recognized leader of a faction of Ereionese pirates. He asks that his territory, called Ereion Bay, be admitted as a member nation."

The room was eerily quiet. He couldn't help but glance at the Benolian delegation before sitting.
"The chair opens the floor for discussion on this proposal."

Councillor Misra was quick to speak. He had been a politician for years, working with the likes of Queen Leah and Chancellor Durand. He met with Leah about this situation, and he knew her stance on this very well. He was nervous to share her thoughts, but he had to.

"The Monarchy of Guslantis is offended that this proposal is even being discussed by our prestigious union. The Jewel is the first country in forty-four years to be admitted to this Commonwealth, and shortly after our unanimous vote to join, we have come to this," he began.

He looked at his notes, and then continued.

"The Treaty of Pataliputra states that 'a nation is eligible to apply to the Commonwealth...'", however, Ereion Bay is, as our Secretary-General stated, just a territory, and not a nation. Does this Council wish to recognize these pirates as a sovereign nation, and if so, how does that affect our foreign affairs toward other pirates and crime syndicates?"

He looked to the other delegates as he finished his last section.

"With our admission of the Jewel, we proved to the world that we're a leader in culture and in peace, these pirates have no place in our halls, and if we admit them, we'll be facing an uphill battle at deciding where to draw the line between nation and organized crime. I will reserve my judgement on Ereion, but we need to decide if Ereion Bay even is legally able to apply," he said, before taking a seat.

Arriving at the palace, Councillor Tasia Anastasiou made her way the the Commonwealth meeting chamber.

Taking her seat next to the Acting Secretary-General, Tasia listened to the opening remarks. She was terribly excited at the news of Ereion Bay applying to the Commonwealth. “The first step to a lasting peace, no doubt,” she had told her aid that morning.

When the Gustlantian councillor had finished, Tasia rose to her feet to give her nation’s opinion.

“It disheartens me deeply to hear that your nation is offended by this discussion, Councillor Misra. Perhaps you have drawn unfair conclusions about the men and women of Ereion Bay. These are not brutish criminals. They are simply trying to survive.

A century ago, the people of Ereion set out to lay the foundation of a free country. The great and terrible trials of that century shook that foundation to its core. Cracks that had developed were left unfilled, and soon the entire structure of Ereionese society collapsed. Now, those that are left to pick up the pieces of a fallen nation ask not for our help, but simply for hope and a safe refuge from the scourges of war. They want only for us to be there for them this time. We can not turn away again and let them crumble into obsolescence.

It is erroneous to say that the Bay Faction is not able to join. My government recognizes their rightful authority over all Ereion. Allow them into the halls of our brotherhood. After this terrible conflict is over, we must be there to help them lay a new, unshakable foundation.”

With that, she sits.

Roshni stood. "What we have here is a case of two competing truths." she stated. "Both of you are right. Under the leadership of Admiral Vidales, Ereion Bay has formed what amounts to a local government, creating order from chaos and only engaging in piracy because they have to. But it is also true that, though Benolia recognizes Ereion Bay as the government of the whole country, I cannot say the Empire does, nor can I say most other nations, to our knowledge, do, because not only is piracy still, well, piracy, but Ereion Bay is just that. Ereion Bay. It does not control the whole of the country."

Roshni paused briefly, before continuing. "I propose a middle path. Let's write a letter to Admiral Vidales, containing three points. First, a request. Cessation of all piracy. This will help improve the image of Ereion Bay and help smoothen the process towards progress in Ereion. Second, an offer. Should the first request be complied with, any willing members of the Commonwealth can send Ereion Bay supplies to compensate for the cessation of piracy, thus eliminating all need for piracy. And third, an assurance- if and only if Admiral Vidales reunites his broken nation, we will reconvene to discuss awarding Ereion full membership."

"These three points, should Admiral Vidales comply, will end piracy in the Genovian Straits, prevent the occurrence of future piracy, and put Ereion back on the path to progress and reunification. While it is certainly possible for individual nations such as Benolia to treat with Ereion Bay, for us as an organization? Unless and until Ereion is whole again, it's politically risky. This is the best option for all of us, and for Ereion. Thank you."

Roshni took her seat.

Edrik Vants spoke next, standing up to address the assembly.

“Austalgotha will gladly provide aid and assistance to the people of Ereion Bay, equally and without prejudice to any side or faction. But we will not recognize any faction as this will breach our strict noninterventionist policy.

“Backing any side in what is an internal dispute will only show to the world that we are in the business of empire building. At this point in time no side can claim supremacy, nor can they claim legitimacy as the rightful government. Backing any side will just cause more fighting and death, and could possibly drag us into the conflict.

“We will support any humanitarian efforts in Ereion, but not any peacekeeping or other military intervention. And we will not recognize any side of this conflict until such a time as one side can legitimately prove their claims by holding supremacy over a majority of the nation.”

Edrik than sat down, mentally preparing for the inevitable rebuttal.

Frederick Sardana stood up to speak next, clearing his throat and some of his underlying nervousness.

"I can proudly echo what the previous speaker said on the core point of providing help to this struggling people. The people and leaders of Thenaca always see the need for compassionate hands whenever there is a humanitarian crisis.

At the same time however, we need to answer the question of long-term political stability, if we are to see this region return to being a unified nation and not fall back to the criminal anarchy it is trying to rise out of. If that requires more direct support of a leader that we as an assembly can agree on? Then so be it."

Frederick then sat down, using his handkerchief to wipe the sweat off his forehead, abet with a slightly shaky hand as he wondered if he made the right call...

The recess that began soon after Edrik Vants spoke provided Roshni time to think. As she ate her lunch- a roll of koki with some peanut butter- she couldn't help but wonder to herself: were they going about the whole thing from the wrong angle?

Five minutes later she found herself walking over to Tasia Anastasiou, who was standing nearby. "I thought of something you might find interesting!" she called out to the Benolian delegate, brandishing her copy of the Ereionese letter.

"I've realized something- we've been going about this all wrong! There's a way to avoid any risk for a foreign relations disaster while still getting what we want out of the situation in Ereion." Roshni paused briefly, collecting herself.

"Suppose the Council as a whole passed a resolution for drafting a letter, addressed specifically to Vidales but also to all of Ereion in general, where the things requested are given. The letter expresses hope for a unified, peaceful Ereion in the future, and then goes on to say that we'll assist those who wish to leave the country in doing so. In short, a 'Hope Letter'. Meanwhile, the Empire, Benolia, and any other nation that wishes to join in what I'm about to say- perhaps maybe Iraelia, for example- can send a second letter following the meeting addressed only and specifically to Vidales, offering aid and support in secret..."

"...providing that Vidales assist the signatories of this second letter in ensuring that no other Ereionese factions are supported by any foreign entities, whether it be national governments, corporations, or other special interest groups."
Roshni briefly yet inconspicuously looked around, before continuing, "I know Benolia has not shied away from recognizing Ereion Bay as the legitimate government of the country. Perhaps supplies from any other signatories of this 'Clandestine Support Letter' could accumulate in Benolia before making their way to Ereion via Benolian ships."

"We should also keep the Ereion Resolution active, so as to ensure that Vidales doesn't break his promises and that the Straits remain secure, and to hide the aims of the Clandestine Support Letter."
Roshni paused briefly. "But you get the point- I just, like, came over here and started saying all this stuff." she chuckled. "What do you think?"

Last edited:
During the recess, Councilor Misra took his Azulscape out of his bag and started a video chat. It rang for a few seconds, until the other person answered.

"Hello ambassador," said an older Miragean woman. It was none other than Yan Lin Leng herself. This woman had been through much in her lifetime, including the loss of her daughter, Chancellor May Leng. Her demeanor was never affected much, though, and she almost always had a smile on her face.

"So far we've yet to come to an agreement on what to do about Ereion Bay's admission. We'll probably spend months coming up with a solution," Vismal joked to the Governor.

"Remember, the Jewel would not be happy if the illegitimate state of Ereion Bay was admitted to the Commonwealth. Do what you must to prevent their joining," replied Leng.

"Yes madam governor. How does she feel about Ereion?" asked Vismal.

"I would see what the other delegates think. I would not get us too involved in something we cannot safely get ourselves out of," said Governor Leng, before an aide tapped her on the shoulder, and she looked to him. The aide said something that Misra could not hear, and Leng turned back to the councilor.

"I'm sorry to cut you short, councilor, but I have some duties to perform in Oida. If you need me further, please do not hesitate to contact me," said Leng, rather firmly.

"Of course, governor, as always it is a pleasure to..." Vismal started before Leng ended the call. He slipped the Azulscape back into his bag, and sat down to wait for the meeting to resume.

Councillor Anastasiou sighs. For a moment, she silently contemplates Roshni’s plan, before saying:

“Madam, you know the only way the Bay Faction can win this conflict is through foreign military support. Patience is wearing thin in Benolia; people aren’t satisfied with the government’s response, and there have been calls to put troops on the ground. Benolia will be taking action soon. Alone if necessary.

If we are to go ahead with this plan, I need to know how far Syrixia will go to support this cause.”

"I absolutely know that military action is what'll end the conflict," Roshni replied, "but judging from the responses of most of those in the Council Ereion Bay isn't likely to be offered membership; and that likely won't change until it's secured the entire country."

Roshni paused. "You're fine to take action from our point of view- due to the very nature of the Commonwealth as an organization I'm certain that there'll be no repercussions for you from its end, and judging from how you guys dealt with the Ilians I don't think condemnations from other countries outside it will make much of an impact. Plus, you're directly threatened by them, and both of you make up Levantine. Direct Benolian intervention given the situation makes sense."

"From our end, though we're more than willing to support you and the Bay Faction in any way we can, we've got to do it clandestinely lest tensions in the area escalate. We don't have all those credentials that lend credibility to the possibility of a direct intervention."

"The bottom line is, this plan would be the best way to balance what we want to happen and what can happen...it's the best way to blend them both efficiently into what will likely morph into a beneficial product."

“I can understand you wanting to err on the side of caution. Foreigners always seem to make our business their business. You have Benolia’s support for this “Hope Letter.” Let’s hope this works.”

Later that day, after the recess ended, Roshni was first to speak.

"Friends, if I may, I have a few remarks. I think we've been going about this wrong. There is another way to go about this. To quote the Admiral's letter: 'We ask not for your aid, we ask not that you send soldiers, we ask for you to give us hope and something that we may strive for in our coming fight. My ships will engage in piracy against none but our foes. we will stop targeting any and all Commonwealth ships for supplies. and I ask that the Commonwealth allow us the chance to evacuate those who wish to leave Ereion.'"

"Let's give them just that. They're not asking for anything; just hope. They're not even really asking for membership- the letter leaves that possibility to be decided in the future, should the nation be united. With all this being said, I motion for a resolution to draft a letter, addressed in response to Vidales but also to all of Ereion in general. To express our hope for a unified, peaceful Ereion in the future, and then goes on to say that we'll assist those who wish to leave the country in doing so. I've talked to Ms. Anastasiou and Benolia has agreed to assist in such efforts. In short, we can write a 'Hope Letter'. No prospect of membership is or was necessary for the Bay."

"I should note," Roshni quickly added, "The concept that the letter leaves the possibility of Ereionese membership to be decided in the future is not concrete; but is based on the possibility that the letter's text could be interpreted that way. If a majority of us seem to be more inclined to interpret the letter in a textualist manner, then we can simply add a brief statement that the Council won't be considering membership for the Bay at this time."

"From what Councilors Vants and Misra have said on the matter, and considering the prospects of international backlash should we accept the Bay, such a course, I believe, for now, is necessary, until Ereion is united. As for where we'd put such a statement if we opted to include it? I think it should be, at least, before the section offering Ereionese refugees safety in Benolia, so that this section can reassure them."

Misra listened closely to Roshni, before standing up and addressing the rest of the councilors.

“I’ve spoken with both Her Majesty and the leadership of our provinces. Guslantis is willing to support this letter from the Commonwealth, and will provide aid to those in Ereion, including those in Ereion Bay. This aid will be in the form of food, water, blankets, portable housing, and other necessities for living. There will be no firearms, no monetary funding, and no military support of any factions from the Guslant government. This is not our war to fight, and at the end of the day, we need to wipe our hands clean.”

He scrolled down on his tablet, cleared his throat, and continued.

“Augustus Town will be open to all Ereion refugees, including those from Ereion Bay. The refugees must enter through its harbor, and will be checked for firearms and other contraband. Refugees not in compliance will be denied access, and asked to find shelter elsewhere. Shall any faction need a neutral ground, the cities of Carrotopolis and Miragea have offered room for negotiation. In conclusion, at this time, we will keep a laissez-faire attitude in terms of the war, but will be there to offer basic human needs to those involved.”

He put his tablet away and sat down. This would be a long affair.

“It is in the interest of Okeke’s delegate premiership, as well, to facilitate Ereion’s economic and political recovery and its eventual autarky. Thus, we must include in the letter interest in helping them become more stable and willingness to intervene with official politics so that Ereion may be considered a candidate in the future. Elections of a new leader need to be initiated or at least monitored; the economy needs to be remedied with economic opportunity and financial aid. That's if they desire our help, of course.”

Last edited:
"I think including such things in the letter would be counter-intuitive to the letter's purpose." Roshni replied. "That purpose, of course, being to express the sympathies of the Commonwealth as an organization, and to allow Ereionese refugees to seek asylum within those member states that have chosen to permit it."

"That being said, all of us have the right to further aid the Ereionese as they see fit, should they choose to, and personally, I commend Demescia for being among those nations. But as for this letter, it is simply intended to avoid any international incidents that may stem from an organization-wide response."

"Well, yes we should provide sympathies and well-wishes, but I feel as well that we, whether individually or as an organization, should provide 'hope' of a long-term remedy—something more worthwhile than simply sending aid and accepting refugees."

"I agree on the individual level. But on the organizational level, if we are to convey such things, it should be less concrete and more general- so they know the general mood of the Commonwealth whilst those members who wish to help further can submit supplementary, concrete promisory letters."

The Austalgothan delegation remained quiet as Edrik Vants had gone home during the recess and had not returned. His seat was now empty.

"Seeing as no further comments have been made," Roshni stated, "I'd like to move for a vote on the proposal to draft the Hope Letter."

Imber Barak nodded.
"Do we have a second?" he asked, looking over the assembly. He'd been observing, watching, and keeping silent. He was apprehensive about the prospect personally, but Adonai-Jireh seemed supportive.

“In the interest of time, we will add our second,” said Misra, slightly raising his hand, while remaining in his seat.

"Then the issue is to be put to vote then."

Code:
[b]Nation:
Support the plan to reach out to Ereion Bay faction and approve humanitarian aid efforts[/b] <YES> <NO> <ABSTAIN>

Nation: Syrixian Empire

Support the plan to reach out to Ereion Bay faction and approve humanitarian aid efforts:
<YES>

Nation: Guslantis

Support the plan to reach out to Ereion Bay faction and approve humanitarian aid efforts:
YES

Nation: Iraelia

<YES>

Nation: Benolia
Support the plan to reach out to Ereion Bay faction and approve humanitarian aid efforts <YES>

Nation:
Support the plan to reach out to Ereion Bay faction and approve humanitarian aid efforts
<YES>

Nation:
Predice
Support the plan to reach out to Ereion Bay faction and approve humanitarian aid efforts<YES>

Imber Barak tallied the votes in quick order.

"The motion passes" he remarked. "I'm authorizing the Benolian delegation to author the offer, to be reviewed by the Commonwealth assembly."

"In other business? The term I was elevated to finish out has reached a conclusion. I am therefore opening up nominations for a Secretary-General election."

Roshni stepped forward, smiling jovially at her fellow delegates. "Secretary-General Barak, I think I speak for all of us when I say that we can't thank you enough for the time and effort you've put into the Secretary-Generalship in the wake of your predecessor's resignation; and I definitely look forward to continuing to work with you. That said, I'd like to take this moment to declare my candidacy for the honor to succeed your esteemed position."

Back