Continent Names

I have to say the argument by Cog that the NE continent would be called something like 'Crown Lands' by the common folk in antiquity due to the presence of so many historic monarchies seems to make sense. Add in the fact the proposed name is being derived from Latin... which according to the Language thread (Latin) started in the south of that continent lends a lot of weight to that suggestion.

But I'm not on the continent so I'm just tossing in :2c:

Ceretis:
I have to say the argument by Cog that the NE continent would be called something like 'Crown Lands' by the common folk in antiquity due to the presence of so many historic monarchies seems to make sense. Add in the fact the proposed name is being derived from Latin... which according to the Language thread (Latin) started in the south of that continent lends a lot of weight to that suggestion.

But I'm not on the continent so I'm just tossing in :2c:
That works for me.

As someone on the northwestern continent, who also suggested the current suggestions on the plate for the northwestern continent, I support 'Gothis'.

I've already put my vote behind Craviter during the discord discussion so I'll make it official here. I like all the names suggested but this one stands out the most to me.

Andrenne:
As someone on the northwestern continent, who also suggested the current suggestions on the plate for the northwestern continent, I support 'Gothis'.
I also approve of the "Gothis" name for the NW

I extremely disagree with continent names relating to countries. In the real world sure North America is near in name to The United States of America, but the country was based off the continent name, not the other way around. since we have countries like goyanes already there I disagree with the continent having similarities (It may sound weird but to me Goyanes has enough exaltation already with other countries and one on another continent, guslantis) I believe we should just look at the blank map by itself and come up with the names, not based on what countries are on the continent already. In this sense now we are basing continent names off of countries instead of using imagination.

instead of saying "Since Goyanes dominates the northwestern continent, we should call it 'Gothis", we should come up with something completely more original. For example the word Europe seems to have absolutely no similarities to the dominating or even minor countries, such as Germany, France, Spain, Switzerland, Russia, Poland, etc. Having the northwestern Continent being named 'Gothis' while Goyanes dominates that continent seems to show that it was soley based on the country itself and that the continent wasn't named on looks, the other countries didn't get a voice, and that it is just an extension of self-exaltation. I highly disagree with the northwestern continent being named gothis. Also considering the middle continent, say it is named mcmasticer or cimmerat or sasteria, it really seems to become one sided on decisions for continent names.

I mean nobody said Goyanes dominates that continent so...?

Notboss Dragonking:
instead of saying "Since Goyanes dominates the northwestern continent, we should call it 'Gothis", we should come up with something completely more original. For example the word Europe seems to have absolutely no similarities to the dominating or even minor countries, such as Germany, France, Spain, Switzerland, Russia, Poland, etc. Having the northwestern Continent being named 'Gothis' while Goyanes dominates that continent seems to show that it was soley based on the country itself and that the continent wasn't named on looks, the other countries didn't get a voice, and that it is just an extension of self-exaltation. I highly disagree with the northwestern continent being named gothis. Also considering the middle continent, say it is named mcmasticer or cimmerat or sasteria, it really seems to become one sided on decisions for continent names.
They're considering calling it 'Gothis' because, if I remember correctly, all but one person on that continent have Gotic culture. Also, I believe the only other person on the island who wasn't Gotic was okay with the name.

How I've heard it, Europe was named after a Greek girl 'Europa', who disappeared to an island. Europa soon became the word for unknown lands, and the land north of Greece, Europe, was named accordingly. I don't know how other people would feel about their entire continent being named after one person from one nation.

Notboss Dragonking:
A. Who said I dominated the continent?

B. The name reflects the shared history of the majority of nations on that continent.

Notboss, the name "Gottica" or "Gothica" was initially proposed by Goyanes to reflect the shared history and heritage of the nations located on that continent. Over the subsequent pages, those two names were bounced back and forth among myself, a few community members and quite a few of the people who have nations on that Northwest Continent. The final name that was settled on (at least right now) is Gothis which roughly translates to House of the Gotics. And while there is one country that has no Gotic history / heritage, he still gave his blessing to the name.

Also, I would like to point out that Goyanes already shot down the notion of why it would be ridiculous to name the continent after himself, Andrenne, Ninhundland or in the case of the Southeastern Continent, naming it after McMasterdonia (hence why it was finally settled on calling it Kian after the Kianese Empire).

Notboss Dragonking:
I'm not going to argue or change my mind or opinion, I still extremely disagree with Gothis being the continent name
In that case then do you have a proposed name for the northwest continent? Because I've asked quite a few times in this thread for name suggestions for the various continents that didn't already have a name.

I mean honestly if you're not on the northwestern continent, I don't think you really get a say.

No backstory, just imagination and it comes from the top of my head, didnt even look at the map just remembered where the continent is and just went for it.

Notboss Dragonking:
No backstory, just imagination and it comes from the top of my head, didnt even look at the map just remembered where the continent is and just went for it.
As someone on the northwestern continent, I dislike the name Norter. Mostly because it has no historical background and doesn't actually mean anything (also not a fan of how it sounds, personally). At most it alludes to north which still doesn't make sense because we're northwestern rather than just directly north. I suppose I could understand why you think it's Goyanes dominating the continent due to the name, but I actually suggested Gothis, and it relates to Andrennian rather than Goyanean. It's a bastardization of the words "Gåtika" and "Has" (gotic house) which resulted in Gåtikahas (same words but combined into one word), which over time became simplified and eventually became Gothis. Gothis does not refer to the Andrennians, Goyaneans, Nins, or anyone else specifically, but rather their shared culture that's had a very large impact on the northwest, resulting in, as others have said, most of the continent being Gotic. This is also what the Andrennians happened to call the continent for a long time, from roughly 400 BCE (in a different form due to the language being Runic/Old Andrennian, not modern Andrennian) to... well, now. Should you want to argue on why you think Norter is a good name, I'm willing to listen, but I will still be supporting Gothis as the name of the northwestern continent.

As someone on the Northeastern continent? I'm fine with Craviter as the NE's formal continent name. I'm also a fan of the team "Crownlands" or "Crown Lands" as an informal name for that region of the world.

I too am in favor for Craviter for the NE continent's formal name. as well as the informal name of "Crown Lands"

That's sort of my logic for Avignia. In RP, the continent would have been named well before modern day, so it would make sense for nations to name things after the continent (I.E. Phoenix Strait) The entire idea is that, in canon, the continent name came first and gave cause to the phoenix-relevant names after it.

Notboss Dragonking:
I extremely disagree with continent names relating to countries. In the real world sure North America is near in name to The United States of America, but the country was based off the continent name, not the other way around. since we have countries like goyanes already there I disagree with the continent having similarities (It may sound weird but to me Goyanes has enough exaltation already with other countries and one on another continent, guslantis) I believe we should just look at the blank map by itself and come up with the names, not based on what countries are on the continent already. In this sense now we are basing continent names off of countries instead of using imagination.
What does Guslantis have to do with Goyanes?

For your information, Guslantis has existed in NS since November 2010, and was named after my late Guinea Pig, Gus, so no, no relation at all to the nation of Goyanes, which was created much after 2010.

I have no problem with naming the continent Gothis as it’s a basterdization of Gotikeshaus (House of the Gotic). Most people are Gotic anyways and is home to the three main Gotics of Eras, Andrenne, Gojanes, and myself.

Ninhundland:
I have no problem with naming the continent Gothis as it’s a basterdization of Gotikeshaus (House of the Gotic). Most people are Gotic anyways and is home to the three main Gotics of Eras, Andrenne, Gojanes, and myself.
Maybe Gottica to have all of the continents end with 'a'? ie: Mettera, Iteria, Icenia, Kian, and my proposed name, Cravitra. (However, Kian ends with 'n', however 'Kia' sounds stupid.

Back