Murder Mystery Theme Week

Syrixia

The one, the true, the great.
-
TNP Nation
Syrixia
Discord
TrialByDance#0419
By a 4 vote win, the Theme Week we now must enter the planning phase of is Murder Mystery!

Firstly, for the discussing pleasure of the Ministry:

1. Should a forum theme be made for Murder Mystery? If so, by who?

2. When should this Theme Week be? Should we schedule it and have deadlines, or be more flexible?

As for the games, I have two concepts:

1. The Murder Mystery. An elaborate plot, with twists here and there. It could be either star our NS characters (IE: Joshua Ravenclaw, Gradea Sanguine, Tomb Grey-Anumia) or users could play as premade characters. It would be a long story, with trials that would narrow down the people participating until a winner found the killer and had them arrested.

2. Murder Mystery-themed spam games, such as "The Above Person Killed Me Using..."

EXAMPLE:

Post 1: Nobody is above me.
Post 2: The above person killed me with a sickle.
Post 3: The above person killed me with kindness :hug:

I don't know anything about forum themes let alone who would be best suited to put them together, so I will step out of that part of the discussion. It seems to me a murder mystery would be a good fit closer to Halloween. Obviously not the immediate days surrounding it, but maybe a week before or the middle of October. I've never done one of these before, is it an actual week or does it go a bit longer? If you're planning on there being multiple steps (assuming we go with your first option) you want to give enough time for people to come on and see each bit before we advance the story. So that may mean at least a day per stage, if it's a long story then I can see this thing going past a week. I think we could speed it up or dial it back depending on how quickly people latch on and take part in it. So in that sense, I'm all for being a bit flexible with the timing, but keep it within a loose time frame.

I prefer using established characters, I think that will make the participants enjoy it a lot more, and I think people would get a real kick out of it compared to some invented characters just for the event. You would have to make them very colorful, very unique characters if you go that route, just really go overboard with it, which could be a lot of fun too. I think knowing the characters is best though, it keeps old members engaged and introduces the characters to newer ones.

Your second option could easily be done simultaneously, it's like the other forum games that are going on right now. I don't see why we couldn't throw it on there, it kind of takes care of itself. I certainly wouldn't pick this option over the first one though.

I would prefer if we went with the second option. I'd prefer to not be killed off in the first three minutes as well. :P

@Pallaith: I do think if we did it in October it would give us time to prepare, yes.

@Gradea: You wouldn't get killed in the first three minutes, of course. :lol: I'm not that cruel.

I'd prefer the first option of having an actual Mystery. Perhaps we could have it centered around Lord Ravenclaw being killed (no offense intended LR) and in the midst of all the confusion one Plembobria ascends to the delegacy...

Praetor:
I'd prefer the first option of having an actual Mystery. Perhaps we could have it centered around Lord Ravenclaw being killed (no offense intended LR) and in the midst of all the confusion one Plembobria ascends to the delegacy...
I like this idea.

The Magicillity Manor

Lord Joshua Ravenclaw, the Delegate of the North Pacific, lay face down on his desk.

It was not unusual to find the Delegate doing this as he was often known to work throughout the night and sleep at his desk, but Bootsie de Luca, the Vice Delegate, knew this time that something was wrong.
"He's dead!", Bootsie cried, "Lord Ravenclaw is dead!"

*cue dramatic music*

The North Pacific Ministry of Cultural Affairs presents....
A murder mystery....

THE MURDER OF LORD RAVENCLAW

Also, we could change the government titles on the WFE around.

The Delegate becomes the Police Commissioner.
The Vice Delegate becomes Superintendent
The Security Councillors become Inspectors.

Gradea:
Also, we could change the government titles on the WFE around.

The Delegate becomes the Police Commissioner.
The Vice Delegate becomes Superintendent
The Security Councillors become Inspectors.
That's a cool idea

Another cool idea could be to do it like Mafia/Werewolf, and have the participants be trying to figure out which one killed Raven.

Bootsie:
Another cool idea could be to do it like Mafia/Werewolf, and have the participants be trying to figure out which one killed Raven.
That's kinda what I was going for in terms of the participants trying to figure out who killed Raven, but I don't think there should be a complex set of rules- just some basic ones, such as stay in Magicality City and don't tell who the killer is if you're dead, etc etc.

@Gradea: I definitely love those titles. We should also have the welcome in the WFE be changed to something like:

WFE:
Welcome to the North Pacific- the scene of the crime! Watch your step!

Forum | Citizenship | Executive Staff | North Pacific Army | World Assembly Ministry | TNP Roleplay
Help us solve the mystery by chatting with us: via Discord | via IRC

For the safety of your fellow citizens, please endorse Police Commissioner Plembobria, Superintendent Lord Ravenclaw, plus our Police Officers Pauline Bonaparte and Great Bights Mum.

That WFE idea looks amazing :clap:

But, would this also be a forum theme such as Burnt Triangle, Winter and Print? It could simply be named 'Mystery'. I did have an idea where if it were to become a forum side theme, the forum background could be black and it'd have white question marks dotted around the sides. Something along those lines.

Kasch:

But, would this also be a forum theme such as Burnt Triangle, Winter and Print? It could simply be named 'Mystery'. I did have an idea where if it were to become a forum side theme, the forum background could be black and it'd have white question marks dotted around the sides. Something along those lines.
I personally was thinking the theme could be like Lazarus's; with a sky and then things at the bottom. I was thinking the Mystery theme could be a gray sky with a black silhouette city (complete with yellow window lights) at the bottom, and a crescent moon on the top right side.

Syrixia:
Kasch:

I personally was thinking the theme could be like Lazarus's; with a sky and then things at the bottom. I was thinking the Mystery theme could be a gray sky with a black silhouette city (complete with yellow window lights) at the bottom, and a crescent moon on the top right side.
How would we do that than?

Gradea:
Syrixia:
Kasch:

How would we do that than?
The same way we would make the other theme- it would just take more time due to the complexity of the design.

I would like to echo the others by saying how great this starting to look. Playing by the honor system to avoid spoilers makes me nervous, how widespread will the knowledge of the killer(s) be?

Pallaith:
I would like to echo the others by saying how great this starting to look. Playing by the honor system to avoid spoilers makes me nervous, how widespread will the knowledge of the killer(s) be?
I, as well as all dead people and the killer themself will know. People who are alive have the possibility to find out but it likely will not end well for them.

Hmm... maybe the citizens on TNP could be the collective inspector, each day/week voting on what action they should take. Whichever action is the majority is what the inspector does.

Whether it could be a regional poll or a vote hosted on the forums, is debatable. If it were on the forum, it could help with gaining new viewers, who make an account to vote, and maybe explore the forums more, and join.

That would make it much more volatile. There'll probably be that one troll who votes for the inspector to kill himself or something. I think that we should choose a few inspectors and have the rest be helpless citizens, who could possibly become witnesses or, you know, dead.

Syrixia:
That would make it much more volatile. There'll probably be that one troll who votes for the inspector to kill himself or something. I think that we should choose a few inspectors and have the rest be helpless citizens, who could possibly become witnesses or, you know, dead.
Well, firstly, they would be set options, so nothing of the sort could happen. For instance, the first thing could be on what to check; the desk, the corpse, etc.

Secondly, if it were a poll on the regional page, all TNP residents could vote, and decide by plurality vote.

Ahem, Eluvatar in the Kitchen with a Morning Star.

No, not the left wing newspaper, the weapon.

@Praetor: I always imagined it to be more like Trouble in Terrorist Town. 1 killer, a few inspectors, many citizens.

@Xen: I kinda want this to be a forum thing. That way, we can attract people to the forum; and we can also use more advanced code and aesthetics in the mystery's story posts, which would also be longer.

By the way, we should probably create the Murder Mystery subforum as its own subforum on the main forum index; so we can organize all the Murder Mystery activities into one unified area.

I think that creating it as a forum thing is a good idea but I think that Xen's idea for having the TNP as a collective inspector would be best because it would make more people feel more involved in the actual mystery otherwise there would be some that feel really left out.

TNP could be a collective inspector but only Forum TNP. I want to entice people to the forum, as it is our community center.

As well, I had another idea; a national RP. Someone can volunteer their leader or someone else in their government to be killed, and the nations of TNP RP can start an international investigation to find the killer.

Syrixia:
TNP could be a collective inspector but only Forum TNP. I want to entice people to the forum, as it is our community center.

As well, I had another idea; a national RP. Someone can volunteer their leader or someone else in their government to be killed, and the nations of TNP RP can start an international investigation to find the killer.
Lara Kray

Here's a bunch of my ideas:

1) We could create a subforum which name will be, or contain, that of the place where the crime was committed. I think of something that sounds a bit Gothic and Victorian, and also Poesque, but with a TNP twist, how about something like:

The Murders in the (insert TNPer/relevant TNP historical thing here) street.

The Murders in the Rue (insert funny TNP reference).

Silly Examples: The Murders in Rue Cronaal, The Murders in Wilkshire Street.

2) One pinned thread could be: Crime Scene or, alternatively The Scene of the Crime.

3) Another pinned thread could be the HQ of the TNP police force, we, who are investigating and post in the thread all the clues and hints and theories they come up with. It could be Plembobrian Yard HeadQuarters or something like that.

4) We could have a bit of a pub thread going on to hang out and relax, a bit like our Bar & Grill, but obviously with a mysterious flavour and decoration.

So... those are just a few things, I'll come back later if I come up with anything new.

I like The Murders in Wilkshire Street; and everything here sounds nice. However, we should also have a thread for miscellaneous character activities; perhaps titled The City.

EDIT: We can also put all the main Murder Mystery event stuff into a subforum inside the theme week's subforum; and have another subforum dedicated to OOC theme week stuff like discussion/speculation, spam games, etc etc. The mystery's subforum can be called The Murders in Wilkshire Street, and the other subforum can be called Spooky Spam Games. (Or something else, idk) The main subforum that these two sub-subfora will be in could be called Murder Mystery Theme Week.

Now for the story. Should we make it here or do you guys want to participate too? If so, I can make it myself.

The story, I can't do much right know. I'm all right with you writing it.

About the subforum. It could be called Wilkshire Street, and the murder itself could be pinned inside.

Perhaps, but the subforum's description should be "Location of a harrowing murder mystery..."

Eyes that do not Lie:
Gradea:
I'd prefer it if we did it ingame tbh.

Engage the ingamers more.
I wouldn't. The forum is easier to use. If we want to, we can engage the ingamers by spreading a regional telegram, changing the WFE etc.
^This as well.

I do think, as I've said before, though, we should theme up the WFE. But that is all I wanna do gamewise.

Our job is - mainly - to maintain the forum's cultural activities and engage in cultural events. Gameside Affairs is the ministry that would run such a thing in-game and wasting efforts there when GA could do it if they wanted will just be detrimental to our own events here.

Of course, if Culture need GA to help out with this one the game side front, just send me the details and I will get something going.

Back