-
-
Pronouns
He/Him
TNP Nation
Dreadton
Discord
Dreadton
Xenfor's Conversation has always been its least developed feature. Since the conversation wont show the last edited message that you see on the forum threads, I am considering removing the ability to edit conversation messages. I invite community feedback and discussion

Opposed; I leave typos in my messages pretty frequently and fix them through editing. I’d be miffed if I didn’t have this ability.

Yeah, removing this feature would probably be overkill I think. The specific issue that it caused with the recent election can be resolved by a simple change to electoral regulations to require notice of a changed private ballot.

Question for y'all. The ability to edit conversations can have a time limit versus completely on/off. So if you're given like an hour or two to edit your private messages, should that be enough?

I'm a bit befuddled why you'd need to edit private messages long after they're sent. In my mind, if it's a private convo they should be more understanding than in a forum post. :shrug:

Interesting technical limitation. It's probably more appropriate for EC to fix possible issues with PM voting without resorting to a nuclear option.

Last edited:
Question for y'all. The ability to edit conversations can have a time limit versus completely on/off. So if you're given like an hour or two to edit your private messages, should that be enough?

I'm a bit befuddled why you'd need to edit private messages long after they're sent. In my mind, if it's a private convo they should be more understanding than in a forum post. :shrug:
Want to talk more about this because it seems like everyone has just ignored it. In my view, setting a time limit can assuage the concerns of those who want to fix errors in their messages, but can also provide a useful way for the Election Commission to better deal with private ballots - the EC could institute a rule to only post a private ballot after a certain amount of time has passed, so voters can make any change they want within the time limit, and then afterwards they are forced to submit a new ballot if they want to change, so there will be no ghost edit issues.

Want to talk more about this because it seems like everyone has just ignored it. In my view, setting a time limit can assuage the concerns of those who want to fix errors in their messages, but can also provide a useful way for the Election Commission to better deal with private ballots - the EC could institute a rule to only post a private ballot after a certain amount of time has passed, so voters can make any change they want within the time limit, and then afterwards they are forced to submit a new ballot if they want to change, so there will be no ghost edit issues.
Is this feature supported by Xenforo? I personally have no clue. Edit: I mean the time count. Unless I misunderstood you.

Last edited:
Is this feature supported by Xenforo? I personally have no clue. Edit: I mean the time count. Unless I misunderstood you.
It was an admin who suggested it, so I would assume it is doable.

If the time limit option is an actual thing, I think this would resolve most people's issues. We're not talking forum posts that everyone can see. We're talking private conversations.

There's really only two reasons that I can think of that require editing a private conversation post (other than editing a private ballot):
  1. Typos. A time limit of, say, two hours, gives you plenty of time to do the proofreading that you should have done prior to posting. You can still fix your mistakes for a little bit after posting, but perhaps you should spend more time fixing them before you post.
  2. You said something you regret and want to remove it. Be smart, and don't put yourself in that kind of position. If you do anyways, you can always try apologizing to the person you sent the bad message to.

Lets try the time limit of two hours on editing your own message in a Conversation/DM Its not a final decision, just a test run

Back