Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The North Pacific!
Where the democracy is strong, the debate robust, and the rum plentiful.

The North Pacific is one of the oldest and most powerful regions in NationStates. We pride ourselves on our strong democracy, openness, and transparency.

The region is affectionately called TNP. TNP is home to over 4,000 nations, called TNPers, and we are always looking for more to join us. We are glad to see you here and hope you decide become a TNPer yourself!

As a new arrival, you may be bewildered with everything that is going on. We understand, and for this reason, we have prepared this quick introduction to TNP. Unpack your bags, make yourself at home, and enjoy your stay :) .

First step: register an account

Please do not register more than one account on the forum. If you are not happy with the account you have created and want to change the name, reach out to an administrator.

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. This means that you can only view some of the forum areas, and you cannot participate in any of them. To be able to join in or even see most of the things we will describe below, you will need to register an account. This is a quick and easy process that you can start by clicking here.

Our Government

The North Pacific is a constitutional democracy. We have a constitution, a bill of rights, and a legal code, which you can read here. Our government has four branches:

The Legislature consists of the Regional Assembly (RA), which votes to enact and amend legislation. Discussions in the RA are moderated by the Speaker, who is elected from among the RA members, and their Deputies. Everyone with a nation in the region can apply to join the RA.

The Executive consists of the Delegate, Vice Delegate, the Cabinet of Ministers, and the Executive Staff. The Delegate and Vice Delegate are elected by the RA, and are accountable to it. The Ministers are appointed by the Delegate, and each one of them manage their own staff. Together, the Executive runs the day-to-day affairs of the government. Broad areas the Executive is responsible for include home affairs, foreign affairs, World Assembly affairs, communications, culture, and our military. Everyone with a nation in the region can apply to join the Executive Staff and work in one of the Ministries.

The Judiciary consists of a single court, which has two Associate Justices and one Chief Justice. All Justices are elected by the RA, and are accountable to it. The court can authoritatively answer questions of law, void actions of other officials that have been brought for review, and decide criminal cases. Interacting with the Judiciary is the Attorney General, also elected by the RA, who serves as the chief prosecutor in criminal trials and as legal counsel to the Executive.

The Security Council is generally considered as a separate branch. It is a body of members that monitor the region for security purposes. They help protect the in-game delegacy, help with delegacy transitions during elections, and also provide a mechanism of response in the case of an illegal in-game delegate. They are accountable to the RA.

You can find a list of current government officials here.

Ways to Get Involved

The best way to start getting involved is to apply for citizenship. Citizenship allows you to access all forum areas and join the various government and community activities. The application process should be easy and fast, and the only prerequisite is having a nation in the region. Once you are a citizen, you will also be eligible to vote and be a candidate in elections for the various government offices, such as Delegate and Vice Delegate - there is an election roughly every two months.

If the description of the government has enticed you, you should definitely consider contributing in the various branches! As a citizen, you can take part in the Regional Assembly, where you can legislate and scrutinize the government. You can also apply to join the Executive Staff, and get involved in any Ministry that interests you.

If you would like to poke around the forum and interact with our community before deciding to become a citizen, you should register your residency. Once you do so, you will be able to access most of the areas of this forum and join the various other activities. Here is a sample:

You can participate in our Role Play section, where you can write the story of your nation, interact with your neighbours on The North Pacific map, and join the Democratic Union.

You can drop by our World Assembly section, to discuss resolutions at vote, draft your own resolutions, and determine how our WA Delegate represents us in the World Assembly.

If you want to experience and learn about the military gameplay, one of the most exciting aspects of the game, you can enlist in the North Pacific Army and start serving TNP as a proud soldier!

Questions?

If you have more questions, you can check for answers in the The North Pacific FAQs. The Yellow Pages in particular provide a comprehensive guide to the region in a single thread.

If you cannot find the answer to your questions there, or if you are having any trouble with the forum, you can contact our forum administrators and global moderators here.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Constitutional Amendment to Relocate Forums
Topic Started: Jul 1 2018, 05:44 PM (401 Views)
Crushing Our Enemies
Member Avatar

Forum Relocation Amendment

1. Article 8 of the Constitution of The North Pacific will be amended to read as follows:
Quote:

Article 8. The Regional Forum

1. The Regional Forum will be the XenForo forum located at forum.thenorthpacific.org, formerly http://s13.zetaboards.com/TNP/ .
2. Enforcement of forum Terms Of Service and moderation policies will be the responsibility of forum administration.

2. This amendment will only be enacted if and when posting is disabled on http://s13.zetaboards.com/TNP/ by forum administration in preparation for migration to XenForo before August 25th.
3. The Regional Assembly declares that an actual emergency shall exist when this amendment is enacted, due to the need for forum users to reset their passwords before accessing their accounts. This emergency shall continue for thirty days. During the emergency, the Regional Assembly recommends that no resident be penalized for failing to take actions for which access to the forum is required. This recommendation is binding on all government officials.
4. No part of this bill shall take effect unless all parts take effect.

Markup

First Draft

Alright, let me break this down. The actual amendment is very simple: it will just replace the URL for the official forum and clean up the language of the following clause slightly.[1] The implementation clauses that follow are a bit more complex. Allow me to clarify their intentions:

2. This amendment will be enacted at the onset of the next Forum Access emergency.

As the admin team has stated, when we are ready to migrate, posting will be disabled on this forum. This will trigger a Forum Access Emergency, as defined in Legal Code 9.3:
Quote:

9. The existence of widespread obstacles that impede access to the official forum of The North Pacific, including, but not limited to, Denial of Service attacks and prolonged server downtime, shall be considered an actual emergency, and does not require a declaration by the RA.
Similarly, if we are forced onto the Tapatalk platform without warning, a Forum Access Emergency will be triggered then.[2] By making a Forum Access Emergency the trigger to enacting this amendment, we ensure that the constitution will be updated with the correct forum when we need it to be - no earlier, and no later.

3. The Regional Assembly declares that an actual emergency shall exist when this amendment is enacted, due to the need for forum users to reset their passwords before accessing their accounts. This emergency shall continue for thirty days. During the emergency, the Regional Assembly recommends that no resident be penalized for failing to take actions for which access to the forum is required. This recommendation is binding on all government officials.

This clause ensures that if someone doesn't have their email up to date and can't initially access their account on the new forum, they won't lose their government position or citizenship for failing to log in or post. Given the extraordinary circumstances, I think this is warranted. Furthermore, record-keeping is going to be an issue at first, because the forum migration is going to break some of the scripts that we use to track forum activity. We probably won't be able to replace them with working scripts until the new forum is online, and this clause allows us some time to get those up and running.

Given the high importance of this passing, I hope that there is no major controversy over any part of this bill. If there are any issues that would prevent you from voting for it, please post them right away so we can work it out. I intend to move to formal debate fairly soon (but only after the new forum URL is discovered, of course), given that Europeia was forced to migrate to tapatalk with very little warning, so we don't know how much time we have. This amendment will make our forum transition safe and legal, and avoid legislative grey areas. I firmly believe it is our responsibility as the legislature to pass this without delay.
[1] Forum administrators are, in fact, not responsible for violating TOS and moderation policies, but rather enforcing them.
[2] Because the regional forum is defined in the constitution by the URL, and the conversion to tapatalk will change the URL
Edited by Crushing Our Enemies, Jul 4 2018, 02:03 AM.
Posted Image
Helpful LinksLegal Reference
Apply for Citizenship
Changes in TNP Nation
How a Bill Becomes a Law
RA Voting History Tool
Constitution
Legal Code
Bill of Rights
Regional Assembly Rules
Speaker's Standing Procedures
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Syrixia
Member Avatar
Owner of Eras' best navy. It is known.

Full support. I hope this goes to vote ASAP.
SYRIXIA F. SANGUINE

Quotes About Me

Yukkira
Member Avatar
I'm Taking A Break

Full support.
"For the nation, our lives are forfeit."
The Most Glorious Principality of [nation]Yukkira[/nation]

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Public Offices of TNP Held
Public Offices of Merridel Held
Affiliation Awards

Wonderess
Member Avatar

This is an excellent handling of the forum transition in regard to the legal ramifications.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

RP Nation: The Sutherland Federation

Mall
Member Avatar

You should specify whether the RA recommendation is binding or nonbinding.
Posted Image
Winner of The North Pacific v. Mall, The North Pacific v. King Durk the Awesome, and The North Pacific v. Haafingar and Hjaalmarch
Retired Major and Field Marshal of [region]The Black Hawks[/region]
Retired Colonel of [region]DEN Central Command[/region]
Former Delegate of [region]The South Pacific[/region]
Retired Secretary of Defense of [region]Stargate[/region]
Son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Jakker, Tal, and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
See The Mallorean Inquirer for all your latest NS News.

KohGeek
Member Avatar
Philosophical

Full support. It's a long needed change too.
Thinking a lot is a good thing, maybe? I don't know? I'm thinking an answer to that.

Crushing Our Enemies
Member Avatar

Mall
Jul 1 2018, 06:02 PM
You should specify whether the RA recommendation is binding or nonbinding.
Done. Thanks!
Posted Image
Apply for Citizenship
Changes in TNP Nation
How a Bill Becomes a Law
RA Voting History Tool
Constitution
Legal Code
Bill of Rights
Regional Assembly Rules

Goyanes
Member Avatar
Regional Viking Exporter & Salesman

I motion for a vote.
The Imperial Goyanean Federation / Ascalonian Dominion
Goy (The Worldbuilding) Sanguine

Attorney General of the North Pacific
Roleplay Conclave Member
The Stortinget
Former Minister (and Deputy Minister) of Culture
Former Member of Communications and World Assembly Affairs
Lieutenant (Retired)
Officer's Test
9/14/2017

Ribbons & Medals
Posted ImagePosted Image

Crushing Our Enemies
Member Avatar

Well, given that this is a legislative proposal, the motion to vote would need to come from me. I think it's premature, since we don't have a URL for the new forum yet. Once we do, I intend to move into formal debate, and will likely request to shorten it, depending on how long it takes the get the URL.
Posted Image
Apply for Citizenship
Changes in TNP Nation
How a Bill Becomes a Law
RA Voting History Tool
Constitution
Legal Code
Bill of Rights
Regional Assembly Rules

Goyanes
Member Avatar
Regional Viking Exporter & Salesman

Gotcha, sorry about that lol...
The Imperial Goyanean Federation / Ascalonian Dominion
Goy (The Worldbuilding) Sanguine

Attorney General of the North Pacific
Roleplay Conclave Member
The Stortinget
Former Minister (and Deputy Minister) of Culture
Former Member of Communications and World Assembly Affairs
Lieutenant (Retired)
Officer's Test
9/14/2017

Ribbons & Medals
Posted ImagePosted Image

Eluvatar
Member Avatar
Code Orangutan

The forum will be available at https://forum.thenorthpacific.org

One issue with having that domain in the constitution is that I am the (sole) owner of the domain. It would be technically somewhat troublesome, though possible, to change that. As flemingovia and I are the 'root' admins at this point, perhaps this is fine, but I don't think I should be making that call!

Another issue, in general, is that we might not want our legal system to consider it to be the same forum if the admin team decides to replace it entirely without consultation. I would argue that we want more language, such as "the xenForo forum available at https://forum.thenorthpacific.org " or "the xenForo forum created from s13.zetaboards.com/TNP" or something clearer.

A historical example of the kind of mess that can happen when the laws simply mention a privately owned domain is the mess that occurred in the South Pacific when Hileville as DNS domain owner and Delegate created a new forum at thesouthpacific.org to get rid of the then-active forum admin team in January of 2016. This legal question may be illuminating. (Also here).
Edited by Eluvatar, Jul 3 2018, 01:31 PM.
Posted Image

Crushing Our Enemies
Member Avatar

Is there no xenForo equivalent of s13.zetaboards.com/TNP? Forum.thenorthpacific.org will be the only URL?
Posted Image
Apply for Citizenship
Changes in TNP Nation
How a Bill Becomes a Law
RA Voting History Tool
Constitution
Legal Code
Bill of Rights
Regional Assembly Rules

Highton
Member Avatar
#BringBackţorn

I like this bill. I think it will do what is needed when the time comes.
CROWNED REPUBLIC OF HIGHTON
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
[nation]Highton Islands[/nation] NS page

Flag Counter

National Anthem

Map

Government

mcmasterdonia
Member Avatar

Crushing Our Enemies
Jul 3 2018, 01:15 AM
Is there no xenForo equivalent of s13.zetaboards.com/TNP? Forum.thenorthpacific.org will be the only URL?
I believe there is yes, but we haven’t created the forum yet so we don’t know what that would be.

Edit: double checked and I am wrong. The domain name will be the file directory it is installed in and there is no default option. So the only URL would be the forum.thenorthpacific.org one.
Edited by mcmasterdonia, Jul 3 2018, 01:35 AM.

:mcm2:
Former Government Positions
Awards and Ribbons
A Formal Apology
:lion:
Why People <3 me
The Kingdom of McMasterdonia

Our Factbook | Apply for an Embassy | Our History
Royal McMasterdonian Airlines | Freight McMasterdonia

Eluvatar
Member Avatar
Code Orangutan

I think specifying this to apply at the next emergency is slightly problematic: what if the current forum or domain goes down briefly? I would suggest instead specifying somehow that the amendment will come into force when the admin team locks down this forum for the purposes of finishing migration to a hosted forum. It might be appropriate to imitate the US Congress and say the amendment 'expires' if this doesn't happen before, say, August 25th (a week before September elections start).
Posted Image

Crushing Our Enemies
Member Avatar

Ok, I will take this all under advisement and come up with the next version of this in a few hours. Then I think we'll be ready to move into formal debate.
Posted Image
Apply for Citizenship
Changes in TNP Nation
How a Bill Becomes a Law
RA Voting History Tool
Constitution
Legal Code
Bill of Rights
Regional Assembly Rules

Crushing Our Enemies
Member Avatar

OK, here's the latest version (also at the top of the OP):
Forum Relocation Amendment

1. Article 8 of the Constitution of The North Pacific will be amended to read as follows:
Quote:

Article 8. The Regional Forum

1. The Regional Forum will be the XenForo forum located at forum.thenorthpacific.org, formerly http://s13.zetaboards.com/TNP/ .
2. Enforcement of forum Terms Of Service and moderation policies will be the responsibility of forum administration.

2. This amendment will only be enacted if and when posting is disabled on http://s13.zetaboards.com/TNP/ by forum administration in preparation for migration to XenForo before August 25th.
4. No part of this bill shall take effect unless all parts take effect.

So basically, we're defining the forum as the XenForo forum that used to be this forum. That way, if another forum was hosted at forum.thenorthpacific.org someday, it would not be our regional forum, because it wasn't ever this forum. I also tweaked implementation on Elu's advise, so that this only takes effect if and when the forum admins execute their stated plan to move forums. I think everyone is on board with this. I move for a vote, and ask that formal debate be shortened to three days.
Posted Image
Apply for Citizenship
Changes in TNP Nation
How a Bill Becomes a Law
RA Voting History Tool
Constitution
Legal Code
Bill of Rights
Regional Assembly Rules

Artemis
Member Avatar

I second

abc
Member Avatar
> $animal = 'dragon of duck';

This is actually doesn't need to be seconded

The motion to vote is recognized and formal debate is mow in session and will end in 3 days from now, at the request of the motioner.
Speaker
Deputy Minister of Home Affairs

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image
Credentials
Campaign Buttons
Awards

Yuno
Member Avatar
Otaku Lolita Raider Goddess Anime RP/fanfic

Formal Debate for Constitutional Amendment to Relocate Forums ends and vote is scheduled for 2 days from now.
"Vote early, vote often." -Pallaith

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
« Previous Topic · Regional Assembly · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Bug reportReport a Bug with this site
Theme by tiptopolive