Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The North Pacific!
Where the democracy is strong, the debate robust, and the rum plentiful.

The North Pacific is one of the oldest and most powerful regions in NationStates. We pride ourselves on our strong democracy, openness, and transparency.

The region is affectionately called TNP. TNP is home to over 4,000 nations, called TNPers, and we are always looking for more to join us. We are glad to see you here and hope you decide become a TNPer yourself!

As a new arrival, you may be bewildered with everything that is going on. We understand, and for this reason, we have prepared this quick introduction to TNP. Unpack your bags, make yourself at home, and enjoy your stay :) .

First step: register an account

Please do not register more than one account on the forum. If you are not happy with the account you have created and want to change the name, reach out to an administrator.

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. This means that you can only view some of the forum areas, and you cannot participate in any of them. To be able to join in or even see most of the things we will describe below, you will need to register an account. This is a quick and easy process that you can start by clicking here.

Our Government

The North Pacific is a constitutional democracy. We have a constitution, a bill of rights, and a legal code, which you can read here. Our government has four branches:

The Legislature consists of the Regional Assembly (RA), which votes to enact and amend legislation. Discussions in the RA are moderated by the Speaker, who is elected from among the RA members, and their Deputies. Everyone with a nation in the region can apply to join the RA.

The Executive consists of the Delegate, Vice Delegate, the Cabinet of Ministers, and the Executive Staff. The Delegate and Vice Delegate are elected by the RA, and are accountable to it. The Ministers are appointed by the Delegate, and each one of them manage their own staff. Together, the Executive runs the day-to-day affairs of the government. Broad areas the Executive is responsible for include home affairs, foreign affairs, World Assembly affairs, communications, culture, and our military. Everyone with a nation in the region can apply to join the Executive Staff and work in one of the Ministries.

The Judiciary consists of a single court, which has two Associate Justices and one Chief Justice. All Justices are elected by the RA, and are accountable to it. The court can authoritatively answer questions of law, void actions of other officials that have been brought for review, and decide criminal cases. Interacting with the Judiciary is the Attorney General, also elected by the RA, who serves as the chief prosecutor in criminal trials and as legal counsel to the Executive.

The Security Council is generally considered as a separate branch. It is a body of members that monitor the region for security purposes. They help protect the in-game delegacy, help with delegacy transitions during elections, and also provide a mechanism of response in the case of an illegal in-game delegate. They are accountable to the RA.

You can find a list of current government officials here.

Ways to Get Involved

The best way to start getting involved is to apply for citizenship. Citizenship allows you to access all forum areas and join the various government and community activities. The application process should be easy and fast, and the only prerequisite is having a nation in the region. Once you are a citizen, you will also be eligible to vote and be a candidate in elections for the various government offices, such as Delegate and Vice Delegate - there is an election roughly every two months.

If the description of the government has enticed you, you should definitely consider contributing in the various branches! As a citizen, you can take part in the Regional Assembly, where you can legislate and scrutinize the government. You can also apply to join the Executive Staff, and get involved in any Ministry that interests you.

If you would like to poke around the forum and interact with our community before deciding to become a citizen, you should register your residency. Once you do so, you will be able to access most of the areas of this forum and join the various other activities. Here is a sample:

You can participate in our Role Play section, where you can write the story of your nation, interact with your neighbours on The North Pacific map, and join the Democratic Union.

You can drop by our World Assembly section, to discuss resolutions at vote, draft your own resolutions, and determine how our WA Delegate represents us in the World Assembly.

If you want to experience and learn about the military gameplay, one of the most exciting aspects of the game, you can enlist in the North Pacific Army and start serving TNP as a proud soldier!

Questions?

If you have more questions, you can check for answers in the The North Pacific FAQs. The Yellow Pages in particular provide a comprehensive guide to the region in a single thread.

If you cannot find the answer to your questions there, or if you are having any trouble with the forum, you can contact our forum administrators and global moderators here.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Recall THO's
Topic Started: Jan 22 2018, 10:14 PM (1,704 Views)
Mall
Member Avatar

I motion that the Regional Assembly recall Owenstacey, Sasten, and Cogoria from their position of Temporary Hearing Officers in the Request For Review dated 12/24/17.

Posted Image
Winner of The North Pacific v. Mall, The North Pacific v. King Durk the Awesome, and The North Pacific v. Haafingar and Hjaalmarch
Retired Major and Field Marshal of [region]The Black Hawks[/region]
Retired Colonel of [region]DEN Central Command[/region]
Former Delegate of [region]The South Pacific[/region]
Retired Secretary of Defense of [region]Stargate[/region]
Son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Jakker, Tal, and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
See The Mallorean Inquirer for all your latest NS News.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Zyvetskistaahn

I think that it would assist the Assembly if the proposer were to explain the reasons as to why the motion is being made, as I should imagine that there are some in the Assembly who have not been paying quite so close attention as the proposer has to the business of the Court.
Government Official of TNP, By Order of the Lord High Inquisitor.

Everyday, common-or-garden variety Justice. Formerly, the Speaker; dictatorial, arbitrary and capricious.

Actually not a Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs.

It's "Constibillocode" not "Constibillicode".

Mall
Member Avatar

Zyvetskistaahn
Jan 22 2018, 10:24 PM
I think that it would assist the Assembly if the proposer were to explain the reasons as to why the motion is being made, as I should imagine that there are some in the Assembly who have not been paying quite so close attention as the proposer has to the business of the Court.
Allow me to explain:

• Someone appointed three people I've never heard of to handle an extremely complex and important request for review,
  • The period for brief submission closed on January 3,
  • Those people promised an answer by January 10 at the latest,
  • One of them posted on January 19 saying that RL had delayed them but failed to say when they would have an answer,
  • No one ever heard from them again,
  • ???
  • Profit!!!!
Posted Image
Winner of The North Pacific v. Mall, The North Pacific v. King Durk the Awesome, and The North Pacific v. Haafingar and Hjaalmarch
Son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Jakker, Tal, and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.

Yuno
Member Avatar
Otaku Lolita Raider Goddess Anime RP/fanfic

I second your motion
"Vote early, vote often." -Pallaith

Mall
Member Avatar

Yuno
Jan 22 2018, 10:41 PM
I second your motion
The motion, having been moved and seconded, requires only the Speaker to schedule a vote.
Posted Image

Darcania
Member Avatar
>>> @requires(fluff=True)

Mall
Jan 22 2018, 10:48 PM
Yuno
I second your motion
The motion, having been moved and seconded, requires only the Speaker to schedule a vote.
There has been no initial motion to vote.
My Current Avatar
Yatasal kul SeredrauRiensifir M. SanguineThe Legendary Fluffiness of Darcania
Eternal Flufflord
Positions, Former and Current, in no order whatsoever (have fun)
Military Rank, Ribbons, and Awards
Roleplay

Barbarossistan

The rules of the Regional Assembly do not seem to require a specific motion to vote, since the rules leave much discretion to the speaker the speaker could arguably request such a motion before scheduling a vote unless the speaker chooses to schedule the vote of his own volition as the rules permit at any time.

I hereby motion that the proposal in the opening post as later motivated by the proposer be scheduled for a vote as soon as possible and request of the speaker that he schedules this vote.

Mall
Member Avatar

Darcania
Jan 22 2018, 11:13 PM
Mall
Jan 22 2018, 10:48 PM
Yuno
I second your motion
There has been no initial motion to vote.
Ok so ignoring my motion in the OP, I motion this to a vote. Again.
Posted Image

Darcania
Member Avatar
>>> @requires(fluff=True)

Mall
Jan 22 2018, 11:32 PM
A motion for the RA to act and a motion to vote are two separate motions.

A vote has been scheduled to begin in four days.
My Current Avatar
Yatasal kul SeredrauRiensifir M. SanguineThe Legendary Fluffiness of Darcania
Eternal Flufflord
Positions, Former and Current, in no order whatsoever (have fun)
Military Rank, Ribbons, and Awards
Roleplay

Mall
Member Avatar

Darcania
Jan 22 2018, 11:38 PM
Mall
Jan 22 2018, 11:32 PM
A motion for the RA to act and a motion to vote are two separate motions.

A vote has been scheduled to begin in four days.
Yay
Posted Image

Barbarossistan

now all we need is a request for review on vote scheduling or something like that and we will have a true legal and bureaucratic monstrosity

SillyString
Member Avatar
inFECted

I object to the Speaker's decision to schedule a vote. Exactly zero time has been set aside for discussion on this matter. A rush to vote is unnecessarily hasty and does not do justice to the gravity of a recall motion.

Barbarossistan

4 days to go until the vote begins and a good discussion may draw additional objections. To kick it of, a pro and con of the motion to recall:

pro: its the only obvious way to do something as te court is missing its own timeline and there is no indication when something might happen

con: we are in uncharted legal territory here and this measure if successful may very well result in further delays as new THO's need to be found, they then need time to prepare etc, so taking our chances on the current slate may well be better and quicker
Edited by Barbarossistan, Jan 23 2018, 01:27 AM.

SillyString
Member Avatar
inFECted

To add my own reasoning, I strongly disagree that it's at all appropriate for the RA to throw a fit at this point.

Court decisions take time, even in the best circumstances, and RL matters can always come up (and often do). The Court endeavors to have a response within a certain amount of time, but it very very frequently takes longer than hoped for.

I was curious, so I did some digging. It has been 29 days since the request was made, on December 24th. The THOs were appointed on 12/28. So they have reasonably had 25 days to work on this so far, if we include the time for brief submission in their possible deliberation period.

On average, reviews have taken about 29 days for a decision to be rendered. This has a huge amount of variation - as low as 1-3 days, for some straightforward and urgent election-related questions (such as "should the ECs restart voting if a candidate's name is left off the ballot"), and as much as 110-113 days for a couple highly complex cases (like FOIA, or whether to strip citizenship from someone who hadn't committed a crime). The median of this list is 19 days - less than they've taken, sure, but not by a ton. And they're still in good company, with a bit over a third of all cases taking longer than 25 days to decide. Add in that they're dealing with a) a complex issue (the legality of a ruling that was issued) that has an impact on b) a second complex issue (the legality of the court accepting a request), and it's not at all surprising that they need some time to consider the facts. I'd be far more alarmed if they took no time at all to render their verdict. Rushed rulings are sloppy ones, and sloppy rulings lead to messy loopholes and legislative overrides.

Moreover, this recall is clearly just an attempt by a known rabblerouser to throw the Court into more disarray. It is concern trolling, not genuine fear for the state of the Court. If this slate of THOs were recalled, a whole new set of three would need to be appointed, and they would need to begin considering this issue from scratch once again - resulting in further delays to the actual ruling being sought. This fact belies the claim that the recall is being sought for any positive purpose.

This is a completely inappropriate circumstance in which to call for a recall. Let the Court do its job.

Romanoffia
Member Avatar
Hang 'em high!

SillyString
Jan 23 2018, 01:23 AM
Moreover, this recall is clearly just an attempt by a known rabblerouser to throw the Court into more disarray. It is concern trolling, not genuine fear for the state of the Court. If this slate of THOs were recalled, a whole new set of three would need to be appointed, and they would need to begin considering this issue from scratch once again - resulting in further delays to the actual ruling being sought. This fact belies the claim that the recall is being sought for any positive purpose.

This is a completely inappropriate circumstance in which to call for a recall. Let the Court do its job.
And thus typical of politics in TNP.

I agree whole-heartedly.
Posted Image Posted Image

How many times do I have to tell you, it's HANGED, not HUNG?!

Barbarossistan

Romanoffia
Jan 23 2018, 01:36 AM
SillyString
Jan 23 2018, 01:23 AM

And thus typical of politics in TNP.

I agree whole-heartedly.
TNP has amazingly realistic politics I suppose.

Yuno
Member Avatar
Otaku Lolita Raider Goddess Anime RP/fanfic

After hearing the 100% reasonable perspectives from the individuals involved, I withdraw my second.

I support keeping the discussion open for a longer time (Court stuff should ALWAYS be placed under public scrutiny) but the vote is too fast and whether the matter should be voted on at all is undecidedly questionable.
Edited by Yuno, Jan 23 2018, 02:02 AM.
"Vote early, vote often." -Pallaith

Deropia
Member Avatar

I'll throw in my objection to a vote being scheduled.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Ambassador to [region]The South Pacific[/region] and
[region]Taijitu[/region]

Office of the Speaker of the Regional Assembly Staff

Vice Delegate
Deputy Attorney General
Posted Image
Formerly...

NPA Special Forces Captain
Posted Image
Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image
Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image
Posted Image-Posted Image

Artemis
Member Avatar

I object to the vote being scheduled without a sufficient amount of debate being heard.
Former Minister of Culture
Former Deputy Minister of Graphic Design

Posted Image

Eluvatar
Member Avatar
Code Orangutan

I object.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Regional Assembly · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Bug reportReport a Bug with this site
Theme by tiptopolive