Opening Address: January 2018!

Gladio

TNPer
del_seal.png

Opening Address - January 2018

First of all, I would like to thank all the wonderful people that supported my campaign by voting for me, giving me advice and encouraging me to run for Delegate, without your support none of this would have been possible!

Secondly, I would like to thank my opponents Lord Ravenclaw, Mall and Falapatorius for their effort Into making this record breaking election really Interesting and challenging.

I have been a member of The North Pacific for over six years now and throughout all that time I have served the region In various capacities but now I can say that It Is truly an honor and privilege to finally be given the chance to serve as our region's Delegate!

After careful consideration and much thought I have chosen the following members as my cabinet for this term:

Minister of Defense: Malphe
Minister of Foreign Affairs: Ghost Pallaith
Minister of Home Affairs: Brend0g
Minister of Communications: Kasch
Minister of Culture: Artemis
Minister of World Assembly Affairs: Deropia

I would also like to name the following as my advisors: r3naissanc3r, Crushing Our Enemies, and SillyString. I will also be retaining Egalotir as our Lead GameSide Advocate.

Over the next week we will be working to ensure that the delegacy transition Is quick and smooth, for this reason The NPA will be called back to TNP to assist with this process. I would also like to ask all TNP citizens to endorse me.

Finally, I would once again like to thank everyone who took part In this election and I am looking forward to a highly active and productive term!

Your Delegate,

[me]

:tnp:

That's a strong looking cabinet, good luck everyone. Looking forward to serving under you Malphe!

Thank you Gladio for the appointment as Minister of Culture. Also congratulations to you on your win and a congrats to all my fellow cabinet members!

Congratulations to all members of the new cabinet; I expect to see a strong and well performing government this term.

Congratulations on your election Gladio! Thank you for allowing me to serve as your MoWAA! It looks like we have a great team this term, congrats to my fellow cabinet ministers on your appointments, let's have a great term!

Gladio:
Mall:
Mall:
Will your advisors be posting oaths of office?
Gonna take that as a hard no.
Sorry for the late response, no they will not be required to take the oath.
So just to be clear, they aren't government officials then and they have absolutely no legal authority distinct from any other citizen of TNP, right?

Gladio:
Mall:
Gladio:
Mall:
Mall:
So just to be clear, they aren't government officials then and they have absolutely no legal authority distinct from any other citizen of TNP, right?
Correct, they are not goverment officials
So they're not going to get forum access to areas normal citizens can't see or anything right? Since they're not government officials and have absolutely no legal authority distinct from any other citizen of TNP?

Mall:
Gladio:
Mall:
Gladio:
Mall:
Mall:
So they're not going to get forum access to areas normal citizens can't see or anything right? Since they're not government officials and have absolutely no legal authority distinct from any other citizen of TNP?
I'll take that as a "Quiet you, stop letting the proles know that we're creating a cabal and subverting the government."

Mall:
Gladio:
Mall:
Gladio:
Mall:
Mall:
No, they will not get access to any secret forum areas.

So they can't see the private Cabinet subforum, like all advisors have been able to see in previous terms?

St George:
So they can't see the private Cabinet subforum, like all advisors have been able to see in previous terms?
No they cannot see the private Cabinet subforum, I felt that giving them permissions to do so was unnecessary because that part of the forum Is nowadays rarely if ever used and The Executive chat on TNP's Discord Is much more useful and convenient.

Gladio:
St George:
No they cannot see the private Cabinet subforum, I felt that giving them permissions to do so was unnecessary because that part of the forum Is nowadays rarely if ever used and The Executive chat on TNP's Discord Is much more useful and convenient.
Oh. So you're doing it all offsite. You're having hidden communications with non-governmental entities (who haven't sworn an oath as all government officials must) about secret TNP stuff offsite. That's comforting.

Mall has a point. Advisers could take the oath.

Yet I think the issue goes beyond that. I can see why the shift in communication platforms has occurred, and it does have its benefits. In light of the growing emphasis on Discord, we may want to take a new look at the issue of transparency in our executive government. Let's consider what matters should be confidential, and what can be discussed publicly. I'm betting that the vast majority of the Executive Chat chats do not involve matters of a sensitive nature. Am I right?

So... it feels like there is a disconnect somewhere. And certainly this is not on Gladio. Insiders may correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like for at least the last two years, everything the Cabinet has discussed has occurred exclusively on Discord, and shall remain confidential for the foreseeable future. And I get that. If I am - on that rare occasion - chatting on discord and in a private room, I have the expectation that my comments will remain private. I don't really have a solution as to how we can accommodate the need for privacy and the desire for transparency in government.

Our laws state:
33. Private government records which reach one year of age will be relocated to the appropriate Declassified Archive visible to residents.

I don't know if there's been a discussion of how this is or should apply to discord.

I'll refrain from stating my opinion at this time.

I'm not sure if everything has been exclusively discussed on Discord. I'm pretty sure there are more recent topics than what's been declassified in the cabinet forum but I'm not 100%, as I rightly no longer have access there.

Perhaps a solution would be some kind of 'auditor' or 'registrar' official role being created that is responsible for summing up cabinet discussions on Discord and posting minutes/reports of that in the cabinet subforum?

On a sidenote, how does the declassification law apply to the private forums of the ministries?

Eluvatar:
Our laws state:
33. Private government records which reach one year of age will be relocated to the appropriate Declassified Archive visible to residents.

I don't know if there's been a discussion of how this is or should apply to discord.

I'll refrain from stating my opinion at this time.
Gladio could always say that those aren't government records at all. After all, they're just conversations he's having with individuals who haven't taken oaths of office about we-don't-know-what yet are apparently important enough in other contexts to warrant hidden forum areas.

Back