Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The North Pacific!
Where the democracy is strong, the debate robust, and the rum plentiful.

The North Pacific is one of the oldest and most powerful regions in NationStates. We pride ourselves on our strong democracy, openness, and transparency.

The region is affectionately called TNP. TNP is home to over 4,000 nations, called TNPers, and we are always looking for more to join us. We are glad to see you here and hope you decide become a TNPer yourself!

As a new arrival, you may be bewildered with everything that is going on. We understand, and for this reason, we have prepared this quick introduction to TNP. Unpack your bags, make yourself at home, and enjoy your stay :) .

First step: register an account

Please do not register more than one account on the forum. If you are not happy with the account you have created and want to change the name, reach out to an administrator.

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. This means that you can only view some of the forum areas, and you cannot participate in any of them. To be able to join in or even see most of the things we will describe below, you will need to register an account. This is a quick and easy process that you can start by clicking here.

Our Government

The North Pacific is a constitutional democracy. We have a constitution, a bill of rights, and a legal code, which you can read here. Our government has four branches:

The Legislature consists of the Regional Assembly (RA), which votes to enact and amend legislation. Discussions in the RA are moderated by the Speaker, who is elected from among the RA members, and their Deputies. Everyone with a nation in the region can apply to join the RA.

The Executive consists of the Delegate, Vice Delegate, the Cabinet of Ministers, and the Executive Staff. The Delegate and Vice Delegate are elected by the RA, and are accountable to it. The Ministers are appointed by the Delegate, and each one of them manage their own staff. Together, the Executive runs the day-to-day affairs of the government. Broad areas the Executive is responsible for include home affairs, foreign affairs, World Assembly affairs, communications, culture, and our military. Everyone with a nation in the region can apply to join the Executive Staff and work in one of the Ministries.

The Judiciary consists of a single court, which has two Associate Justices and one Chief Justice. All Justices are elected by the RA, and are accountable to it. The court can authoritatively answer questions of law, void actions of other officials that have been brought for review, and decide criminal cases. Interacting with the Judiciary is the Attorney General, also elected by the RA, who serves as the chief prosecutor in criminal trials and as legal counsel to the Executive.

The Security Council is generally considered as a separate branch. It is a body of members that monitor the region for security purposes. They help protect the in-game delegacy, help with delegacy transitions during elections, and also provide a mechanism of response in the case of an illegal in-game delegate. They are accountable to the RA.

You can find a list of current government officials here.

Ways to Get Involved

The best way to start getting involved is to apply for citizenship. Citizenship allows you to access all forum areas and join the various government and community activities. The application process should be easy and fast, and the only prerequisite is having a nation in the region. Once you are a citizen, you will also be eligible to vote and be a candidate in elections for the various government offices, such as Delegate and Vice Delegate - there is an election roughly every two months.

If the description of the government has enticed you, you should definitely consider contributing in the various branches! As a citizen, you can take part in the Regional Assembly, where you can legislate and scrutinize the government. You can also apply to join the Executive Staff, and get involved in any Ministry that interests you.

If you would like to poke around the forum and interact with our community before deciding to become a citizen, you should register your residency. Once you do so, you will be able to access most of the areas of this forum and join the various other activities. Here is a sample:

You can participate in our Role Play section, where you can write the story of your nation, interact with your neighbours on The North Pacific map, and join the Democratic Union.

You can drop by our World Assembly section, to discuss resolutions at vote, draft your own resolutions, and determine how our WA Delegate represents us in the World Assembly.

If you want to experience and learn about the military gameplay, one of the most exciting aspects of the game, you can enlist in the North Pacific Army and start serving TNP as a proud soldier!

Questions?

If you have more questions, you can check for answers in the The North Pacific FAQs. The Yellow Pages in particular provide a comprehensive guide to the region in a single thread.

If you cannot find the answer to your questions there, or if you are having any trouble with the forum, you can contact our forum administrators and global moderators here.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Statement on Imkihca
Topic Started: Jan 8 2018, 08:07 PM (5,888 Views)
flemingovia
Member Avatar
Here to merely serve.

As many people are aware, The North Pacific’s forum administration team has been looking into complaints against Imkihca. After investigating all complaints, we have determined that there is not sufficient cause to ban her from our forum at this time.

We apologize to Imkihca that details of our ongoing investigation became public knowledge. Ordinarily all such investigations remain private until they conclude and a decision to impose a sentence is reached. That this investigation was made public was a serious procedural mistake, and one that only served to cause unjustified speculation and undue burden on Imkihca. We regret that this happened, and we will be reviewing our internal procedures to ensure that such a mistake does not occur again in the future.

We would like to emphasize that this investigation has been carried out exclusively by the forum administration team, without any involvement from The North Pacific’s government. This is in accordance with standard procedure and our long-standing policy that out-of-character complaints such as those we received need to be dealt with purely as a matter of forum administration, outside of the purview of the regional in-character government.

Therefore, any questions or concerns about this matter should be directed to Root Administrator Flemingovia or other members of the forum administration team, through forum PM or Discord DM, and not to government officials of The North Pacific.
5. Forum administration will have 14 days to evaluate the citizenship applicant and verify that they are not using a proxy or evading a judicially-imposed penalty.

Happy Days

THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS IMPORTANT AND SHOULD BE READ
Terms and Conditions

please note that all comments made by Flemingovia (hereafter referred to as "the poster") should be taken to be prefaced with the phrase "I believe" whether or not the phrase "I believe" is actually used in the post. Therefore the poster is not liable to any charges of fraud, slander, libel or any other criminal or civil complaint resulting from this post (see TNP v Grosse, 2013). By continuing to read this post you signify your acceptance of these terms and conditions. if you do not agree to these terms, this post is not intended for you and should not be read.

Online Profile Goto Top

Cormac
Member Avatar
Awesomesauce

Will any action be taken against the administrator who inappropriately disclosed the investigation and the other administrator who backed him up (McMasterdonia and Eluvatar)? Because I've got to tell you, "reviewing [y]our internal procedures" really isn't sufficient to the rest of the gameplay community and it shouldn't be sufficient to your community either. McMasterdonia leaked an ongoing investigation occurring here and made it sound like it was close to reaching the conclusion that Imkihca would be banned, in order to smear her at a major multi-regional event and see her unceremoniously banned from that event based on his claims. Eluvatar, who is a NationStates administrator as well, backed him up. Meanwhile, not only was that investigation clearly not close to being concluded, it has yielded an altogether different result than the one McMasterdonia and Eluvatar claimed it was about to yield. In effect, McMasterdonia, with Eluvatar's complicity, falsely accused Imkihca of OOC harassment and used his admin position here to bolster his false claim.

I seriously hope false, malicious accusations of harassment made by one of TNP's forum administrators and backed up by another, in which he misrepresented an investigation here that he shouldn't even have disclosed was happening, is not okay with TNP's forum administration team or community. Because it isn't okay with the rest of us.

Also, what is being done about Imkihca's ban from TNP's Discord?
Cormac Skollvaldr

Vincit qui patitur (He conquers who endures)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Yuno
Member Avatar
Otaku Lolita Raider Goddess Anime RP/fanfic

So Imki is innocent?
"Vote early, vote often." -Pallaith
Offline Profile Goto Top

Tim
Member Avatar
NSFW

Yuno
Jan 8 2018, 08:42 PM
So Imki is innocent?
The statement doesn't say innocent, it simply said that whatever evidence they did review did not warrant a ban.

I'd definitely like to see tangible results from this review of internal procedures. The whole debacle surrounding this, particularly given that it let to a World Fair that was effectively ruined, is a pretty serious fuck up.
All opinions stated are mine and mine only, unless co-signed by another party or featuring a governmental header image.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Egalotir
Member Avatar
Supreme Leader of Space

From someone who missed all of the "fireworks" of this investigation and event, I'm sad to say that the results of all this are quite bad in my view. I completely agree with Cormac in that "reviewing your internal procedures" is hardly satisfactory when the results of that mishap led to the ultimate rage quit of Ravenclaw (can read on his website), potentially (or more definitely) influencing the TNP election cycle, and I assume a blow to our foreign relations. I, and I believe a majority, want more clarity or transparency on what will be done to ensure something like this doesn't happen again. Sad day for TNP...
TNP Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs
TNP Former Ambassador to multiple regions
TNP Regional Assembly Member
TNP Army
Offline Profile Goto Top

St George
Member Avatar
Formerly madjack

Egalotir
Jan 8 2018, 10:32 PM
From someone who missed all of the "fireworks" of this investigation and event, I'm sad to say that the results of all this are quite bad in my view. I completely agree with Cormac in that "reviewing your internal procedures" is hardly satisfactory when the results of that mishap led to the ultimate rage quit of Ravenclaw (can read on his website), potentially (or more definitely) influencing the TNP election cycle, and I assume a blow to our foreign relations. I, and I believe a majority, want more clarity or transparency on what will be done to ensure something like this doesn't happen again. Sad day for TNP...
Defining Raven's choice to leave the game before certain people chase him out as a 'rage quit' is entirely unfair, and frankly anyone deciding to re-evaluate foreign relations based off of this is guilty of mixing ooc and ic actions. Of course considering where the majority of that sort of thing is coming from, that's not a surprise.
I have a Medium
TNP Lead RP Mod and TNP University Faculty
(17:04:22)<Severisen>lol I was just thinking about DOS players being like the ghosts of NS...and madjack is like Casper
Spoiler: click to toggle
Online Profile Goto Top

Egalotir
Member Avatar
Supreme Leader of Space

St George
Jan 8 2018, 10:39 PM
Egalotir
Jan 8 2018, 10:32 PM
Defining Raven's choice to leave the game before certain people chase him out as a 'rage quit' is entirely unfair, and frankly anyone deciding to re-evaluate foreign relations based off of this is guilty of mixing ooc and ic actions. Of course considering where the majority of that sort of thing is coming from, that's not a surprise.
From the discord agora:

Davelands - Today at 5:35 PM
The West Pacific is restricting non-RMB communication with TNP effective immediately. We hope that the off-site admins are disciplined properly for their actions. You may reach out to me via PM. Our ambassador remains on the job.(edited)

It is already affecting our foreign affairs. As for what to call Raven's leave, rage quit was the closest I could relate it to as I don't fully understand all the details yet. Didn't mean for that word/phrase to cause any insult.
TNP Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs
TNP Former Ambassador to multiple regions
TNP Regional Assembly Member
TNP Army
Offline Profile Goto Top

Crushing Our Enemies
Member Avatar

Clearly some other regions don't understand the firewall between our government and our admin team. Diplomatic sanctions are an entirely inappropriate response to perceived admin misconduct.
Posted Image
Helpful LinksLegal Reference
Apply for Citizenship
Changes in TNP Nation
How a Bill Becomes a Law
RA Voting History Tool
Constitution
Legal Code
Bill of Rights
Regional Assembly Rules
Speaker's Standing Procedures
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cormac
Member Avatar
Awesomesauce

Crushing Our Enemies
Jan 8 2018, 11:50 PM
Clearly some other regions don't understand the firewall between our government and our admin team. Diplomatic sanctions are an entirely inappropriate response to perceived admin misconduct.

You know what's really an entirely inappropriate response to admin misconduct? Doing nothing about it and blaming others for responding when you refuse to clean up your own mess.

Don't pretend there aren't in-game responses to OOC misconduct all the time, or that TNP hasn't participated in them before. It's hypocritical of you folks to decry in-game responses to OOC misconduct just because it's now affecting you.
Cormac Skollvaldr

Offline Profile Goto Top

Crushing Our Enemies
Member Avatar

The issue isn't that it's an IC response to OOC behavior - I have no problem with that in general. What I find ludicrous is that people are getting mad at the region of TNP when their problem is with the TNP admin team. Unless people are suggesting that we move forums because a couple of our admins shared details of an ongoing investigation that they shouldn't have done, I don't understand what we're being sanctioned for. Gameplay sanctions have 0 effect on the admin team, and the gameplay government has very little to do with what people are mad about.
Posted Image
Helpful LinksLegal Reference
Apply for Citizenship
Changes in TNP Nation
How a Bill Becomes a Law
RA Voting History Tool
Constitution
Legal Code
Bill of Rights
Regional Assembly Rules
Speaker's Standing Procedures
Offline Profile Goto Top

Yuno
Member Avatar

Crushing Our Enemies
Jan 9 2018, 02:28 AM
The issue isn't that it's an IC response to OOC behavior - I have no problem with that in general. What I find ludicrous is that people are getting mad at the region of TNP when their problem is with the TNP admin team. Unless people are suggesting that we move forums because a couple of our admins shared details of an ongoing investigation that they shouldn't have done, I don't understand what we're being sanctioned for. Gameplay sanctions have 0 effect on the admin team, and the gameplay government has very little to do with what people are mad about.
You need to replace the admins.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Yuno
Member Avatar

The admins in my Forums would never leak.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Badger
Member Avatar
TWP Guardian

Just like TNP, our individual regions can choose to act in the exact manner that we see fit in the face of this egregious behavior. If tangible actions were taken against the various offenders involved: Lord Ravenclaw, McMasterdonia, and Eluvatar instead of lip service and vagaries then the need for discussion of IC action would not be there. However, there has been no tangible sign of retirement as promised by Lord Ravenclaw. I have less confidence that any sanctions will be placed on the offending admin; who honestly ruined a wonderful annual moment in the NSWF with their selfish and hypocritically disturbing behavior.

Generally in life I have found when a enough of your friends come to you and tell you that you are making a mistake; eventually you listen.
Lord Meles Rahl of the House Rahl, Fortitudine Vincimus!
Guardian of The West Pacific

All Around Good Dude
Offline Profile Goto Top

SillyString
Member Avatar
inFECted

Lord Ravenclaw has already voluntarily resigned from the administration team.

Edit: In case it needs saying, given that not everyone following along is familiar with how TNP works, he has not resigned his citizenship or his positions as a government official, and has not withdrawn from the ongoing election. Admin roles are entirely separate from government. Any questions about a political retirement would need to be directed to Raven himself.
Edited by SillyString, Jan 9 2018, 05:15 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Prydania
Member Avatar
Žaš er alltaf sólrķkt ķ Beaconsviši

Cormac
Jan 8 2018, 08:33 PM
Will any action be taken against the administrator who inappropriately disclosed the investigation and the other administrator who backed him up (McMasterdonia and Eluvatar)? Because I've got to tell you, "reviewing [y]our internal procedures" really isn't sufficient to the rest of the gameplay community and it shouldn't be sufficient to your community either. McMasterdonia leaked an ongoing investigation occurring here and made it sound like it was close to reaching the conclusion that Imkihca would be banned, in order to smear her at a major multi-regional event and see her unceremoniously banned from that event based on his claims. Eluvatar, who is a NationStates administrator as well, backed him up. Meanwhile, not only was that investigation clearly not close to being concluded, it has yielded an altogether different result than the one McMasterdonia and Eluvatar claimed it was about to yield. In effect, McMasterdonia, with Eluvatar's complicity, falsely accused Imkihca of OOC harassment and used his admin position here to bolster his false claim.

I seriously hope false, malicious accusations of harassment made by one of TNP's forum administrators and backed up by another, in which he misrepresented an investigation here that he shouldn't even have disclosed was happening, is not okay with TNP's forum administration team or community. Because it isn't okay with the rest of us.

Also, what is being done about Imkihca's ban from TNP's Discord?
From the man who overthrew Osiris' democratic government using forum administration as a weapon to do so? You have no room to talk.

Cormac

Crushing Our Enemies
Jan 8 2018, 11:50 PM

You know what's really an entirely inappropriate response to admin misconduct? Doing nothing about it and blaming others for responding when you refuse to clean up your own mess.

Don't pretend there aren't in-game responses to OOC misconduct all the time, or that TNP hasn't participated in them before. It's hypocritical of you folks to decry in-game responses to OOC misconduct just because it's now affecting you.

Don't pretend you have the best interests of this community at heart.
Edited by Prydania, Jan 9 2018, 04:28 AM.
Posted Image Posted Image
Awards
Online Profile Goto Top

Artemis
Member Avatar

Yuno
Jan 9 2018, 02:57 AM
Crushing Our Enemies
Are you saying every admin of TNP needs to be replaced?
Former Minister of Culture
Former Deputy Minister of Graphic Design

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Yuno
Member Avatar

Artemis
Jan 9 2018, 04:31 AM
Yuno
Jan 9 2018, 02:57 AM
Crushing Our Enemies
Are you saying every admin of TNP needs to be replaced?
You know fully well that wasn't my point. It was an emotional post which I apologize for. I just think that if an admin mishandles real life information, the admin needs to get replaced. Heck, I logged onto this forum a lot of times while at my real life school.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Artemis
Member Avatar

I was asking for clarification. Emotions seem to be high all around, but calling for admins to be replaced is not something that should be done based on emotional arguments. Admins, as you and I both are aware, have to deal with sensitive and private information ranging from IP's to investigations into harassment. They are still humans, they will occasionally make mistakes. The Admin team has stated that mistakes were made and have apologized to Imki for that mistake. They have gone one to say they will be reviewing their procedures to make sure that something like this does not happen again.

What that will entail, I do not care to speculate as I am not a member of that team. But I imagine that they will be able to draw on the experiences of members of the admin team such as r3n, who was part of the very thorough and profession investigation into Brunhilde. I believe that other admins on the team have their own experiences with these types of investigations and will come together to improve these processes.

Calling for the heads of admins is not the solution. Calling for individuals who have given untold hours of work and dedication to this reason is not an answer. If they are to leave then that will create more problems than it would solve. The remaining admins would have to pick up the slack of administrative duties, IP checks, forum requests, maintenance, as well as training new admins to replace those who were lost. The admins who made mistakes need the chance to learn from this mistake and make sure they don't let it happen again and become better admins for it.

Letting emotions sway your opinions is not what TNP and NS needs right now. If you are letting your emotions be your source of reason, take a step back, take a breath, a break, count to 100, or whatever it is that you need to let your emotions simmer. When you are able to think clearly, come back and take a look at the information with clear and logical eyes. I am not saying emotions should not be considered but we cannot let emotions rule our actions.
Former Minister of Culture
Former Deputy Minister of Graphic Design

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

flemingovia
Member Avatar
Here to merely serve.

thank you, Atremis, for a measured and considered response.

As the OP says, a question was considered by the admin team who, in the end, came to the right conclusion. The discussions took longer than i would have liked (Christmas has something to do with that) but we got there. Along the way the admin team made serious mistakes and caused unnecessary hurt. We have apologised for that, publically. I am happy to do so again.

The admin team in TNP is always just that - a team. We receive collective praise when things go well, and accept collective blame when things go wrong. As a root admin I am certainly not going to be throwing any individual or individuals to the circling sharks. All the admins in TNP have given hundreds if not thousands of hours to this community, and I value, trust and respect them all. One mistake does not negate that.

What we are going to do is, as the OP says, make sure this never happens again in TNP.
5. Forum administration will have 14 days to evaluate the citizenship applicant and verify that they are not using a proxy or evading a judicially-imposed penalty.

Happy Days

THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS IMPORTANT AND SHOULD BE READ
Terms and Conditions

please note that all comments made by Flemingovia (hereafter referred to as "the poster") should be taken to be prefaced with the phrase "I believe" whether or not the phrase "I believe" is actually used in the post. Therefore the poster is not liable to any charges of fraud, slander, libel or any other criminal or civil complaint resulting from this post (see TNP v Grosse, 2013). By continuing to read this post you signify your acceptance of these terms and conditions. if you do not agree to these terms, this post is not intended for you and should not be read.

Online Profile Goto Top

Cormac
Member Avatar
Awesomesauce

flemingovia
Jan 9 2018, 09:00 AM
The admin team in TNP is always just that - a team. We receive collective praise when things go well, and accept collective blame when things go wrong. As a root admin I am certainly not going to be throwing any individual or individuals to the circling sharks. All the admins in TNP have given hundreds if not thousands of hours to this community, and I value, trust and respect them all. One mistake does not negate that.

You're making excuses for retaining two admins who used their positions here to make false accusations of OOC harassment.

That's the bottom line here, no matter how much you and certain other people try to obfuscate. McMasterdonia, with Eluvatar's backing, misrepresented an investigation here in TNP that wasn't even supposed to be disclosed, to falsely accuse Imkihca of OOC harassment. As a result of that, she was banned from the NS World Fair and the NS World Fair was entirely derailed. That's what happened. And you are retaining these two people on your admin team despite their egregious OOC false accusations against another player. False accusations of OOC misconduct are a form of OOC misconduct. They have engaged in serious OOC wrongdoing against another player. What are you going to do about it?

If you really have to insist on collective responsibility, then maybe all of you should step down and an entirely new admin team should be selected. But what should not happen is that the two admins responsible for this egregious abuse of their positions and false accusations against another player should escape this situation with no consequences. Otherwise how is anyone ever supposed to trust TNP's admin team again? If your admins are making false OOC accusations and there are no consequences for them, how can anyone trust TNP's admin team to do anything right when it comes to OOC misconduct? Something has to be done about this. And yes, it does affect your entire region, because if your admin team won't do something about it then it falls to the rest of the community to do something about your admin team. This can't just be swept under the rug. Somebody is going to have to be held accountable with real consequences.

I can't believe I'm even having to say any of this in a region that has crusaded against OOC misconduct, a region in which Asta is an admin. I guess consequences for OOC misconduct only apply to others, but not to TNP and their admin team? That's the message you're sending.
Edited by Cormac, Jan 9 2018, 02:13 PM.
Cormac Skollvaldr

Offline Profile Goto Top

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Moderation Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic

Bug reportReport a Bug with this site
Theme by tiptopolive