Siwale for Vice Delegate

If you do win the Vice Delegacy, what ideas will you consider (if any) of your opposition to improve the Security Council?

How would you deal with conflict and resistance from the security council to your ideas? What role could the RA or Delegate play in the event the council is majority-wise, opposed to your wishes and plans?

How true do you find the following statements? Please explain why you decided on the answer you did.

1. Democratically elected officials are superior to democratically confirmed officials as we are the literal representations of the will of the people and therefore, confirmed officials should follow our lead where we hold a role of responsibility over the confirmed officials.

2. As a democratically elected official, I am responsible for the security of our democracy and the epitome of our democratic processes. By right and duty, I am charged with overseeing all others in the same chapter as I and should ensure that as a democratically elected official, my views and ideals are represented through the words and deeds of those who report to me.

Do you believe you have enough knowledge of the NS World to be able to identify potential threats to The North Pacific if they were to apply for citizenship and attempt to pass the Vice Delegate's check?

Zyvet,

If I may, it seems that you have not addressed the possibility of legislation on the topic of disclosure not being forthcoming.

My apologies. If legislation was not forthcoming, I would only encourage the SC to use it rule-making power if their views matched up to those of citizen body. SC disclosure is a topic that both the SC and the citizens should take part in.

Might there be any disbenefits to informal standards being made more formalised?

Creating too many formal requirements restricts the SC's ability to evaluate each candidate on a case-by-case basis. I think some informal requirements should still exist for this reason. But nations should be able to gather a better understanding of what is expected to apply to the SC through the formal requirements. Saying that you just need a certain influence and endorsement level is misleading.

Lord Ravenclaw:
How would you deal with conflict and resistance from the security council to your ideas? What role could the RA or Delegate play in the event the council is majority-wise, opposed to your wishes and plans?

How true do you find the following statements? Please explain why you decided on the answer you did.

1. Democratically elected officials are superior to democratically confirmed officials as we are the literal representations of the will of the people and therefore, confirmed officials should follow our lead where we hold a role of responsibility over the confirmed officials.

2. As a democratically elected official, I am responsible for the security of our democracy and the epitome of our democratic processes. By right and duty, I am charged with overseeing all others in the same chapter as I and should ensure that as a democratically elected official, my views and ideals are represented through the words and deeds of those who report to me.
I enjoy your questions LR :)

Pallaith,

I'm glad to hear that. Your vision is, to put a perhaps improper label on it, an activist one. Given the nature of the SC, they may decline to participate in many of the things you wish to do, or they may disagree and insist on another approach. This can be frustrating, and you may have to "go it alone." Are you prepared to do that? How much of your platform and goals are negotiable? Would you be willing to completely change course if you had to?

I am more than willing to negotiate with the SC. I am not saying my ideas are perfect and they will most likely need to be tweaked. If the SC has an idea, I will be there to hear them out. There is no reason for differing views to generate a hostile environment. If anything, they allow us to weigh the pros and cons to each idea more effectively and come up with a better solution.

There is a lot of push and pull, potentially, between the Vice Delegate and the Security Council. You have to stake out your own claim, and leave your mark on the office while continuing traditions that outlast whole VD terms. The SC is conservative by nature, whereas your time may be much shorter in comparison to theirs. Being willing to compromise is good, necessary even, but it may make it harder for you to expand the office or find a way to make the Vice Delegacy relevant in new ways. I'm not even sure if there is an answer to this question, but how would you even do it? What's the strategy for setting your plans in motion, keeping in mind this institution has been in place a long time and change does not come easily or quickly?

I don't think being willing to compromise makes it harder to improve the office. If anything, it allows for more to be done. A Vice Delegate should not go into office constantly opposing the ideas of the SC. By actually listening to what the SC has to say, the VD can see where his/her ideas are weak and work together with the council to improve them. As I said before, my plan for the term involves extensive collaboration with the SC. I seek to form a strong working relationship with the council and include them in the drafting and carrying out of all projects.

Would you apply to the SC again? How would you say the intervening time has improved you as a potential SC candidate? Or maybe you still agree you should hold back for now?

I think I have grown a lot since then, both through the remainder of my term as MoHA and through this election. But the biggest problem with my initial application was time, a factor which I cannot change. Since not a ton of time has passed since my first application, I think it would be best to hold off for now.

Why wouldn't you be of use in another role? What if I asked you to stay on as Minister of Home Affairs? Why wouldn't you continue to be useful there?

I'm not saying I would not be of use somewhere else, but it ultimately comes down to how I want to spend my time. The VD position is currently what interests me the most, and is where I would work the hardest. Enjoyment in what I do on NS is something I value quite highly.

I asked this of Kasch, but in what specific ways do you differ from Kasch? What are the issues or opinions that distinguish both of your respective campaigns? The argument has been kind of nitpicky at times and I think we're losing the fores for the trees. Define the race for us, what does it come down to?

My campaign focuses on increasing SC involvement, increasing SC gameside awareness, and increasing endorsement counts. My opponent's campaign focuses on keeping things largely the same. There is no such thing as the correct approach, it all comes down to what the voters would like to see from their Security Branch of Government.

And with all due respect, I don't believe you gave me a clear answer on why you specifically are better than a known quantity who knows the basics of the job and has proven himself capable of doing that job. As I said before, unseating an incumbent who is doing the job decently and by default has more experience than you takes something special.

As I have stated above, it all comes down to who's vision you agree with more. I don't think either one of us is incapable of performing the duties of the job.

Brend0g:
If you do win the Vice Delegacy, what ideas will you consider (if any) of your opposition to improve the Security Council?
Hey Brend0g!

I liked my opponent's idea to educate the public about the requirements of the Security Council and the job of a Security Councilor. I feel that this, in combination with reaching out to nations that the Council feels are good candidates, will help to increase interest in the position.

Raven,

Honestly, I welcome opposition to my ideas. I am well aware that I have never served on the council and still have some learning to do. If the SC sees a potential issue with my ideas, I encourage them to bring it up for discussion. If we work as a team, we can have a very productive term. While I really do not think this will be necessary, if the majority of the council is opposed to my plans both the RA and the Delegate can play a role. The RA could of course recall me if they feel the relationship between the VD and SC is too toxic to continue or support new legislation (if applicable) that better reflects the views of both parties. The Delegate, being in a quite influential position, can weigh in on these discussions as they see fit.

1. I would not consider either to be superior. Both types of officials are ultimately voted on by the citizen body. They both represent the will of the people and should be equally respected. Considering oneself superior will only lead to major conflicts.

2. This statement does not hold true for the SC. The VD is on the same level as the rest of the SC and should not be dictating the words and deeds of the Councilors.

There is no such thing as the correct approach, it all comes down to what the voters would like to see from their Security Branch of Government.

It was a good decision to take about an hour to read and analyze this fervent thread of questions and answers. Honestly, with this simple sentence I already have an idea of ??how (or by whom) to vote for the Vice Delegate position.

I want to congratulate you on the answers given, and on your intentions, some of which are based on understanding that there are topics where a fresher and more flexible vision may be the most appropriate and convenient. After all, having been bombarded with questions by your main contender says a lot about how strong your campaign is (not to mention that he himself mentioned you in the first response he has given on his platform).

I understand that you have not faced the most extreme situations that a VD might encounter, but beyond that I understand that you have not exercised that position and therefore it makes no sense to try to attack your platform for this particular line. I do not usually fervently support the status quo, and I liked your response to that issue (in one of the previous posts).

Your proposals seem to me enthusiastic and I would like to see many of them implemented. Keep it up! Good luck in this election, you have my vote.

Mystery Player:
Do you believe you have enough knowledge of the NS World to be able to identify potential threats to The North Pacific if they were to apply for citizenship and attempt to pass the Vice Delegate's check?
Hey Mystery Player!

I do not consider myself to be all-knowing by any means, but I feel I am capable of performing the VD check as accurately as possible. If I am unsure of the background of an established player, the SC is a valuable resource to turn to.

Sir Fawkes:
There is no such thing as the correct approach, it all comes down to what the voters would like to see from their Security Branch of Government.

It was a good decision to take about an hour to read and analyze this fervent thread of questions and answers. Honestly, with this simple sentence I already have an idea of ??how (or by whom) to vote for the Vice Delegate position.

I want to congratulate you on the answers given, and on your intentions, some of which are based on understanding that there are topics where a fresher and more flexible vision may be the most appropriate and convenient. After all, having been bombarded with questions by your main contender says a lot about how strong your campaign is (not to mention that he himself mentioned you in the first response he has given on his platform).

I understand that you have not faced the most extreme situations that a VD might encounter, but beyond that I understand that you have not exercised that position and therefore it makes no sense to try to attack your platform for this particular line. I do not usually fervently support the status quo, and I liked your response to that issue (in one of the previous posts).

Your proposals seem to me enthusiastic and I would like to see many of them implemented. Keep it up! Good luck in this election, you have my vote.
Thank you for your support!

Siwale you have the energy to be vice president of The North Pacific. Greenstead backs you all the way!
Please recommend my ideas when you become vice president!

GreensteadNational:
Siwale you have the energy to be vice president of The North Pacific. Greenstead backs you all the way!
Please recommend my ideas when you become vice president!
Thank you for your support!

Back