Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The North Pacific!
Where the democracy is strong, the debate robust, and the rum plentiful.

The North Pacific is one of the oldest and most powerful regions in NationStates. We pride ourselves on our strong democracy, openness, and transparency.

The region is affectionately called TNP. TNP is home to over 4,000 nations, called TNPers, and we are always looking for more to join us. We are glad to see you here and hope you decide become a TNPer yourself!

As a new arrival, you may be bewildered with everything that is going on. We understand, and for this reason, we have prepared this quick introduction to TNP. Unpack your bags, make yourself at home, and enjoy your stay :) .

First step: register an account

Please do not register more than one account on the forum. If you are not happy with the account you have created and want to change the name, reach out to an administrator.

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. This means that you can only view some of the forum areas, and you cannot participate in any of them. To be able to join in or even see most of the things we will describe below, you will need to register an account. This is a quick and easy process that you can start by clicking here.

Our Government

The North Pacific is a constitutional democracy. We have a constitution, a bill of rights, and a legal code, which you can read here. Our government has four branches:

The Legislature consists of the Regional Assembly (RA), which votes to enact and amend legislation. Discussions in the RA are moderated by the Speaker, who is elected from among the RA members, and their Deputies. Everyone with a nation in the region can apply to join the RA.

The Executive consists of the Delegate, Vice Delegate, the Cabinet of Ministers, and the Executive Staff. The Delegate and Vice Delegate are elected by the RA, and are accountable to it. The Ministers are appointed by the Delegate, and each one of them manage their own staff. Together, the Executive runs the day-to-day affairs of the government. Broad areas the Executive is responsible for include home affairs, foreign affairs, World Assembly affairs, communications, culture, and our military. Everyone with a nation in the region can apply to join the Executive Staff and work in one of the Ministries.

The Judiciary consists of a single court, which has two Associate Justices and one Chief Justice. All Justices are elected by the RA, and are accountable to it. The court can authoritatively answer questions of law, void actions of other officials that have been brought for review, and decide criminal cases. Interacting with the Judiciary is the Attorney General, also elected by the RA, who serves as the chief prosecutor in criminal trials and as legal counsel to the Executive.

The Security Council is generally considered as a separate branch. It is a body of members that monitor the region for security purposes. They help protect the in-game delegacy, help with delegacy transitions during elections, and also provide a mechanism of response in the case of an illegal in-game delegate. They are accountable to the RA.

You can find a list of current government officials here.

Ways to Get Involved

The best way to start getting involved is to apply for citizenship. Citizenship allows you to access all forum areas and join the various government and community activities. The application process should be easy and fast, and the only prerequisite is having a nation in the region. Once you are a citizen, you will also be eligible to vote and be a candidate in elections for the various government offices, such as Delegate and Vice Delegate - there is an election roughly every two months.

If the description of the government has enticed you, you should definitely consider contributing in the various branches! As a citizen, you can take part in the Regional Assembly, where you can legislate and scrutinize the government. You can also apply to join the Executive Staff, and get involved in any Ministry that interests you.

If you would like to poke around the forum and interact with our community before deciding to become a citizen, you should register your residency. Once you do so, you will be able to access most of the areas of this forum and join the various other activities. Here is a sample:

You can participate in our Role Play section, where you can write the story of your nation, interact with your neighbours on The North Pacific map, and join the Democratic Union.

You can drop by our World Assembly section, to discuss resolutions at vote, draft your own resolutions, and determine how our WA Delegate represents us in the World Assembly.

If you want to experience and learn about the military gameplay, one of the most exciting aspects of the game, you can enlist in the North Pacific Army and start serving TNP as a proud soldier!

Questions?

If you have more questions, you can check for answers in the The North Pacific FAQs. The Yellow Pages in particular provide a comprehensive guide to the region in a single thread.

If you cannot find the answer to your questions there, or if you are having any trouble with the forum, you can contact our forum administrators and global moderators here.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Call for Temporary Hearing Officers
Topic Started: Nov 19 2016, 05:41 PM (1,827 Views)
Crushing Our Enemies
Member Avatar

Please post below to volunteer to become a temporary hearing officer. The duties are identical to those of a justice, but are (usually) limited to a single matter before the court. They act as temporary replacement justices when there is a vacancy on the court, or when a justice is unavailable or has recused themself. In your post, please describe your level of familiarity with TNP law, as well as why you desire to become a temporary hearing officer.

In the immediate future, a THO will be appointed to replace SillyString in the matter of Handling of evidence in the case of TNP vs. TSRONK. However, those who volunteer in this thread will also be considered for future appointments.

List of Volunteers
Edited by Zyvetskistaahn, Jan 12 2018, 08:36 PM.
Posted Image
Helpful LinksLegal Reference
Apply for Citizenship
Changes in TNP Nation
How a Bill Becomes a Law
RA Voting History Tool
Constitution
Legal Code
Bill of Rights
Regional Assembly Rules
Speaker's Standing Procedures
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Altmoras
Member Avatar
110% Zoom

I'm more than willing to serve as a THO again for other cases. With that said, since I was the THO for TNP vs TSRoNK, I don't wish to be one for this particular case in order to avoid any conflicts of interest or the perception thereof.

Quote:

please describe your level of familiarity with TNP law

Nothing special, I've read all of our laws over at least once.

Quote:

why you desire to become a temporary hearing officer.

I find it interesting.
Edited by Altmoras, Nov 20 2016, 01:09 AM.

Posted Image
All the staff
The Northern Sentinel
Spoiler: click to toggle

Crushing Our Enemies
Member Avatar

Update: 2 THOs are now required for the request for review regarding handling of evidence in TNP vs TSRONK. Legal knowledge/experience is preferable, but not a firm requirement.
Posted Image
Apply for Citizenship
Changes in TNP Nation
How a Bill Becomes a Law
RA Voting History Tool
Constitution
Legal Code
Bill of Rights
Regional Assembly Rules

Barbarossistan

I'm interested to act as temporary hearing officer. I'd like to get involved with the court and this seems a good way.

My knowledge of TNP law is limited, I've read it but hardly made a thorough study, I think I can read up on the relevant law and any available case law as required though.

falapatorius
Member Avatar

I'm willing to act as a THO in this matter.

Quote:

my level of familiarity with TNP law?

I have a fair to middling grasp of TNP Law, and have served as Deputy AG and Attorney General. I've also been an RA member for 3 years now.

Quote:

why do I desire to become a temporary hearing officer?

I've always had an interest in the Judiciary.

Say No! to 'State Religion'

Abbey
Member Avatar

I'm willing to temporarily act as a THO. I have notified Ash and have resigned my Deputy AG role temporarily so that I can serve.

I'm a former Justice, CJ and AG. I'm familiar with TNP law although I'm weaker on some of the more recent changes. I want to serve to make sure that there's a qualified bench for an important R4R.
Administrator
My blog - Mental health, disability and university
Posted Image

Gracius Maximus
Member Avatar

If needed, I can serve as a THO.
'Remember, everything you have here in the North is only because I got bored.' - The Minister, Ruler of Gracius Maximus, Conqueror of Pixiedance, last hero of the North

'Some acts simply cannot be apologized for. I do realize this is a game, but you have caused all of us so much strife over the past months, and caused others to follow in your lead, that it's become a bit more than that. And as such, I cannot accept your apology. Respect it, I will. Forgive you, I won't.' - Hersfold

Former Delegate of The North Pacific

Former Chief Justice, Attorney General, Minister of Defense, NPA General (Ret.), Minister of Justice, Deputy Minister of Culture, member of the Security Council, and Election Commissioner of The North Pacific

Holder of an eighty count.

Posted Image

Canton

I would like to serve.

Experience with TNP Law: Read them over.

Reason for wanting to serve: I would like to be Deputy Attorney General of TNP.

Lord Emmanuel
Member Avatar
Hey! Don't try to dare me.

Canton
Feb 13 2017, 01:09 AM
I would like to serve.

Try to watch the date of thread before replying.
Lord Kayus Emmanuel
Deputy Attorney General
Deputy Minister of HA

Posted Image
Posted Image

Canton

Lord Emmanuel
Feb 13 2017, 09:55 AM
Canton
I would like to serve.

Is this thread not open until they need someone? I was linked here by the AG.

Lord Emmanuel
Member Avatar

Canton
Feb 13 2017, 12:11 PM
Lord Emmanuel
Feb 13 2017, 09:55 AM
Canton
I would like to serve.

Is this thread not open until they need someone? I was linked here by the AG.
There is no ongoing situation that needs THO, So be patient.
Lord Kayus Emmanuel
Deputy Attorney General
Deputy Minister of HA

Posted Image
Posted Image

Gracius Maximus
Member Avatar

To be fair to Canton, it isn't necessarily the AG Office's place to determine when this thread is relevant as it relates to THOs, who sit as de facto Justices on the Court and are inherently separate from the Attorney General.
'Remember, everything you have here in the North is only because I got bored.' - The Minister, Ruler of Gracius Maximus, Conqueror of Pixiedance, last hero of the North

'Some acts simply cannot be apologized for. I do realize this is a game, but you have caused all of us so much strife over the past months, and caused others to follow in your lead, that it's become a bit more than that. And as such, I cannot accept your apology. Respect it, I will. Forgive you, I won't.' - Hersfold

Former Delegate of The North Pacific

Former Chief Justice, Attorney General, Minister of Defense, NPA General (Ret.), Minister of Justice, Deputy Minister of Culture, member of the Security Council, and Election Commissioner of The North Pacific

Holder of an eighty count.

Posted Image

Crushing Our Enemies
Member Avatar

Anyone can indicate interest and availability to serve as a THO at any time. This thread will be referenced when there is a need.

There is no other reason for anyone to post in this thread unless they are indicating availability to serve as a THO.
Posted Image
Apply for Citizenship
Changes in TNP Nation
How a Bill Becomes a Law
RA Voting History Tool
Constitution
Legal Code
Bill of Rights
Regional Assembly Rules

Carebia
Member Avatar

I have the utmost desire to be appointed the position of Temporary Hearing Officer.

I have familiarity with TNP law including the Constitution and the Bill of Rights of TNP. As of first hand experience, I currently have none, which is one of the reasons I long for this position. I am exceedingly interested in being part of the judiciary system of TNP. I am also exceptionally interested in the position for Associate Justice and even might consider running in two months.

I am apologize if this deems to much information, I just wanted to present myself at supreme level of professionalism.

I intend to hear from you soon,
Carebia
Edited by Carebia, Feb 18 2017, 05:47 PM.
Posted Image

Bootsie
Member Avatar

For the record, I am willing and able to serve as a Temporary Hearing Officer in the event one or more officers are needed. I've been a citizen for quite a while, and do have experience with working with the law as Speaker and Deputy Speaker.

Obviously, I do not have any experience as a Justice or being in the Attorney General's office.
Posted Image

SillyString
Member Avatar
inFECted

Bootsie is appointed as a THO.

Lord Emmanuel
Member Avatar

As the current Deputy AG, i am willing to serve as THO.
Lord Kayus Emmanuel
Deputy Attorney General
Deputy Minister of HA

Posted Image
Posted Image

Zephyrkul
Member Avatar
the end

Lord Emmanuel
Mar 10 2017, 07:25 AM
You'd have to resign your position as Deputy AG:
Legal Code
Section 7.4
18. Any deputy appointed by the Attorney General may not serve concurrently as either a Justice or a Temporary Hearing Officer.
My Current Avatar
Yatasal kul SeredrauRiensifir M. SanguineDarcania
Eternal Flufflord
Deprecated

Lord Emmanuel
Member Avatar

Darcania
Mar 10 2017, 07:28 AM
Lord Emmanuel
Mar 10 2017, 07:25 AM
You'd have to resign your position as Deputy AG:
Legal Code
Section 7.4
18. Any deputy appointed by the Attorney General may not serve concurrently as either a Justice or a Temporary Hearing Officer.
Oh!! I hereby withdraw from serving as THO .

Thanks Darc
Lord Kayus Emmanuel
Deputy Attorney General
Deputy Minister of HA

Posted Image
Posted Image

Sil Dorsett
Member Avatar

As long as it's permissible for an Executive Council Minister to concurrently serve as THO, I'm willing to do so.
The Principality of Sil Dorsett
Security Councillor
Roleplay Moderator
Former Minister of World Assembly Affairs (3x)
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Court of The North Pacific · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Bug reportReport a Bug with this site
Theme by tiptopolive