TNP Plays D&D: The City Never Sleeps OOC

MacSalterson

TNPer
Pronouns
They/Them
The City Never Sleeps: A Dungeon Adventure in Pathfinder

"Those things down there, they're evil. They watch you, waiting for your lamp-light to go out, so they can watch your sanity drain away in the darkness, with them watching from all around you. They're not the pests down there, YOU are. The light is your only hope!" - Markus Sherin, Citizen of Spiredeep

Welcome to Spiredeep. Through some series of events, unfortunate or otherwise, you've ended up here, a city on the edge of land and sea, older than the coast surrounding it. Opium Dens as common as palaces, Brothels as common as Temples. The homeless and downtrodden stride next to the gentry and nobility, and all walk in the seemingly permanent damp pervading the streets. Humanity is prided there, other races considered lesser and ‘inferior’, only rarely rising to higher class society.

You've been contacted by a Historian and expert on Spiredeep, such as that may be, called Tynnich Symbran, about a recent string of disappearances. Today is the day you're supposed to meet with him.

Players & Characters:

madjack: Forgar, Dwarven Monk
Prime: Jake Ericson, Android Gunslinger
TGR: Melisandra, Half-orc inquisitor (needs a mythweavers sheet)
Res G.: Surli Zareem, Fetchling Rogue

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
Pathfinder. 3.5 will be available on request. No asking for cheesy classes, spells, items, whatever.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
Pathfinder Dungeon Crawl with horror and free roaming elements tossed in. Expect semi-modern, gritty, and unforgiving.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
Four people, already listed.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
We're using TNP forums for the posts, Roll20 for rolls and similar. I'll have a (hopefully) working link down below.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
Bottom of Level 3. You'll level up based on milestones.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
Level 3 WBL. Go nuts.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
Go nuts, avoid third party except in the case of Dreamscarred Press (Psionics, Akashic Mysteries, Path of War, and something new that I haven't looked at yet called Arcforge), which are actually decently written. I'll provide links to Path of War FAQs and Playtest threads down below.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
Go nuts, but racism is a thing. Spiredeep is very human centric, so the closer you are to that, the less you'll be prejudiced against. If you can find it on the PFSRD and it's not 3rd party (save for Dreamscarred press)

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
25 point buy, using any one of the multitude of calculators on the internet. Please don't min-max the hell out of it. A little cheese is fine, that being said.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
Generally no, but if you're a paladin or something killing babies and being naughty, I'll call you out on it. Special rules for smite will be explained if anyone is interested.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
Go nuts, I am not bothered in the slightest.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
Nope, I'm lazy and rolling everything breaks player agency. You're gonna roll on Roll20, once we figure that out.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
I have various sets of fixes that I'd like to apply, but I'll withhold them until I see interest in the things they effect.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
Please have a background. Please don't be overly ridiculous with it. You're level 3. Explain why you're character ended up in Spiredeep.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
Combat is a thing, roleplaying is a bigger thing. Puzzle solving, horror elements will be involved).

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
Go nuts. If it's on the PFSRD or I can get ahold of it somehow, and it's not 3rd party or stupidly broken, you're good.

If I've forgotten anything, which is likely, just pester me about it and I'll come up with an answer of some sort.

Linky: The City Never Sleeps

Well, I suppose this'll be getting underway.

Party comp, guys, who wants to do what? Been throwing around an idea of a Changeling inquistor.

Ill be honest, never played pathfinder, only AD&D2nd, but id be interested.

The Grim Reaper:

Party comp, guys, who wants to do what? Been throwing around an idea of a Changeling inquistor.
Not sure what I want to do, but I'm toying with the idea of an Oread or even a Gillman (if either is allowed) and either a monk or bloodrager, mainly because I like the sound of them.

primeboy1:
Ill be honest, never played pathfinder, only AD&D2nd, but id be interested.
Sorry to burst your bubble, man, but this is invite only. We're seeing how well this idea could work with more experienced players (those listed) before I (or someone else) creates an open D&D game. You're free to watch the goings on though, I'll even create a Peanut gallery separate from the OOC if that's what people want.

The Grim Reaper:

I was thinking Fetchling Rogue. Specifically Unchained Rogue and prestiging into Shadow Dancer at 5th or 10th level.

This is honestly a great idea, seen from any of my multiple perspectives (old AD&D 2.0 player, then 3.0, 3.5, proud to have hated 4ed and to love Pathfinder system)

Let me know how it goes, I'd love to see how you manage the system through forums stuff and what not! I'd totally like to see this working :)

myth-weavers.com and d20pfsrd.com are useful links. Myth weavers gives you free sheet templates for a ton of rule sets, and d20pfsrd has all the pathfinder info you could ever need.

EDIT: Res, remind me to talk to you about Fetchlings in Spiredeep

Yo, lazy people. Can I at least get a status report? If this is gonna work, I at least want some indication that there's still interest and that I shouldn't just drop this.

Idea is we all be around on Wednesday at some point for Yer to start some things.

Thanks, madjack. I would like to see a status updated on Wednesday the 11th with what you have of your character sheet and any sort of backstory you may have. If I think it's acceptable to begin with the initial bits, I'll set up an IC thread.

Wednesday is the only day of the week I absolutely cannot be on >__> Sorry guys.

The timezones might put it on Thursday for me, though, and I'll put up a character sheet later today or tomorrow.

Melisandra the Executioner
Female Half-Orc
Lvl 3 Chaotic-Good Inquisitor of the Liberation Domain
(Not sure about what pantheon you're using - atm she is an Inquistory of Desna)
17 STR, 15 WIS, 14 DEX, 12 CON INT CHA

Melisandra was the child of a prisoner-of-war, in an orcish raiding camp, on the outskirts of Spiredeep many years ago. Taken by the orcs as a slave, to be sold to merchants, her mother was the young daughter of an up-and-coming captain of the town watch, kidnapped as a petty act of revenge by a long-dead tribe.

She was raised by the orcs for only a few years, tapped as a relatively bright child to be apprenticed to the tribe shaman. Whilst of above-average intelligence, it was the surprising resilience she showed in her terrifying condition that endeared her to the fiercest members of the tribe. The fire in her eyes would never die down - not even to the night, when she was six, that the priestesses of Desna counter-attacked the tribe to liberate a recent taking of slaves. Outfit in heavy armour, they were a surprise to all but the attentive Melisandra, who took her first life to save one of her would-be rescuers.

From there on, Melisandra was raised as an acolyte of the cult, a pseudo-peacekeeping force that moved to protect the weakest of Spiredeep from the games of politics and crime that continued around them. Her charges were the women, children, and whatever men were willing to step away from the patriarchal expectations of Spiredeep to call on the aid of Desna's priestesses. Finally, Melisandra was called upon as the front of the minute, martial order. As Spiredeep grew around them, falling further into the underworlds of the criminal, the occult, and its own nobility, Melisandra's order became only capable of acting in counter - saving innocents spirited away into prisons, or dens, or anywhere in the shadows of Spiredeep, one at a time.

It was Melisandra who was responsible for delivering the warrants of the soon-to-be-dead to their hands. Her axe would take down doors, and then people, as necessary. She was not just the messenger, but the Executioner. In this role, she came to know Tynnich, as the order desperately tried to create a record of its achievements, such that some other God or Goddess could follow in their slowly disappating footsteps. For the past few weeks, she has been responsible for attempting to convince Tynnich to accept the role of recording and publishing the scant information on the order of Desna, wherever the eyes of Spiredeep's nobles do not reach.

I usually only have a few hours on Wednesdays. I am always free on Saturday afternoons, Sundays, and Tuesdays.

Here is what I have for my character:

Surli Zareem,
Female, Fetchling
Lvl 3 Chaotic Neutral, Unchained Rogue
14 STR, 18 DEX, 13 CON, 13 INT, 12 WIS, 11 CHA

Surli was born and raised in Shadow. Her Father was a merchant from the Shadow Plane, who traded in Spiredeep. He would take her to the Material Plane when he could. He wanted her to learn of their neighbors. At a young age Surli showed a knack for thievery and she loved it.

When she was older she decided to stay on the Material Plane, despite her parent's wishes. She enjoyed herself immensely. More than anything she loved chaos, simply because it caused confusion and distraught to everyone else.

She lives in Spiredeep, taking any job that requires a little more finesse and stealth.

Both of those are fine backstories for the unfortunately piddly amounts of information I've been able to give you. Grim, I'll have an actual Pantheon for you sometime soon to choose a more specific god, but the three that are sort of the overarching deities of the world (under Nidhogg, the Wyrm Magnus, who basically made the world) are Kanatha Sodassa, who's the god of immortals (which are separate from gods and deities), Valoitus Rauhassa, who's the god of mortals (essentially everything that isn't a dragon, undead, corrupted thingies, or a beast), and Valaistus Pineassa, who's the god of the wilds and beasts (everything that isn't one of the previous two). A Desna-like deity would fall under Valaistus Pineassa's pantheon most likely, but it's hard to say right now.

If I could get your actual character sheets, that would be wonderful by the way.

Yeraennus:
Both of those are fine backstories for the unfortunately piddly amounts of information I've been able to give you. Grim, I'll have an actual Pantheon for you sometime soon to choose a more specific god, but the three that are sort of the overarching deities of the world (under Nidhogg, the Wyrm Magnus, who basically made the world) are Kanatha Sodassa, who's the god of immortals (which are separate from gods and deities), Valoitus Rauhassa, who's the god of mortals (essentially everything that isn't a dragon, undead, corrupted thingies, or a beast), and Valaistus Pineassa, who's the god of the wilds and beasts (everything that isn't one of the previous two). A Desna-like deity would fall under Valaistus Pineassa's pantheon most likely, but it's hard to say right now.

If I could get your actual character sheets, that would be wonderful by the way.
How do you want them? I don't know any particularly convenient way to exchange PDFs.

myth-weavers.com is my preferred sheet hosting site. Set up a few account and create any number of sheets you wish.

What if you really, really want to play, but haven't ever done this before?

Oops, nevermind. Just saw the invite-only sign. Am excited to watch, though!

Character Sheet: Linkety

How he got to Spiredeep:

Jake Ericson led a simple life of making firearms in his village, said village is now smoldering ruins after a stranger destroyed it, he has spent the last 3 years of his life looking for this stranger, and his investigations have lead him to Spiredeep. His only remnants from his previous life are his trusty pistol and his knowledge on how to make and use firearms.

Forgot to mention how to generate your HP: First level is max HP, every subsequent level is half your hit die plus one, adding constitution as normal. Favored class bonuses may be applied at your leisure.

Back